Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Beware Of Swimming Pools - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Beware Of Swimming Pools (19704 Views)

Do You Think This Swimming Pool Would Be Hygienic To Swim In?(pic) / Desist From Swimming! / Gym,fitness Centre & Swimming Pool In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by ayobase(m): 11:55pm On Jun 15, 2012
naijasexy: For me who swum for about 5 hours yesterday and took in water about thrice, this is quite scary. Great information though. Thanks.

Water intake is unavoidable!
Its could be so disgusting when it happens!
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by ayobase(m): 11:56pm On Jun 15, 2012
MeGaStReEt: A friend banged his girl friend inside airport hotel swimming pool with lots of people inside the pool swimming and laughing. I pity for them. I don't swim, can't swim, if its not my private swimming pool, I no dey enter

Na today?
Pity for them ke?
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by 190: 12:14am On Jun 16, 2012
Shagged a gurl too in a pool

Condom floated out

Everybody bailed includin myself and her
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by Orikinla(m): 12:55am On Jun 16, 2012
It is scary. And in Nigeria where many people are dirty is worse. The swimming pools are scary with people you don't know where they have been and then jumping into the pool with you. I am even afraid to sit on public seats and shaking hands after seeing that 95% of Nigerians don't wash their hands after using the toilet!
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by Ilekokonit: 1:25am On Jun 16, 2012
One of the most common illnesses associated with public pools is diarrhea caused by a parasite called Cryptosporidium. Cryptosporidium is found in the intestinal tract of infected humans [/b]and animals and is transmitted through the ingestion of fecal matter. This becomes a problem when the fecal matter is in the form of watery diarrhea, which rapidly dissipates in a large pool of water and becomes virtually invisible, says Ashley Lamonte, MPH (Master of Public Health) with the CDC.

A pool may be contaminated, even without a "fecal accident:" [b]trace amounts of bacteria on a person's bottom can be washed into a pool.

E. coli is a bacteria that lives in the intestinal tract of healthy humans and animals; one strain of the bacteria, however, is particularly virulent and can cause extreme illness and even death. In 1998, a contaminated home pool caused an outbreak of E. coli that hospitalized eight people and one child died.

http://www.angelfire.com/pro2/real.estate/Swimming.Pools.html

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5020a4.htm

Just remember that not all adults or most children wash their back passage properly before jumping in the pool . Plus kids with diarrhoea will just let go in the pool and as I do not want to swallow fecal matter (chlorinated or not), count me out of swimming.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by Zenanted(m): 3:21am On Jun 16, 2012
Pukkah: Swimming Pools Are Public Toilet Bowls for Many: Survey

If you're taking a refreshing dip in a pool with four other people, odds are one of you is urinating. This is not gross-out myth, but cold, depressing fact from a recent survey conducted by the Water Quality & Health Council, a scientific research group sponsored by the American Chemistry Council.

The survey, conducted in April, asked nearly 1,000 adults whether they urinate in pools. One in five bravely admitted their mistakes. And those are the ones who admitted it.

We may act like potty-trained adults on land, but something about a body of water, even a small one, opens our natural floodgates and, according to doctors, puts us all at risk.

"No matter how easy it is to pee anonymously in the pool, swimmers should avoid doing so," says public health expert and WQHC chairman, Dr. Chris Wiant.

It is easy isn't it? Maybe that's because many of us were taught as kids that chlorine counteracted any accidents. Technically, that's mostly true. If pool operators maintain proper chlorine and pH levels, most waterborne germs are killed on contact.

But 54 percent of public pools tested by the WQHC last year failed to provide the proper chlorine levels and 47 got low marks for pH balance. You can blame poor pool maintenance, but frequent urinators don't help.

"Anything foreign that gets in the pool consumes disinfectant and makes the pool less capable of catching the next bug," Dr. Wiant tells Yahoo! Shine. So while chlorine is working overtime to clean up someone's mess, it's weakened by the time more serious bacteria dives in.

That comes from the germs we carry on our body even before we get into to the water. While only one in five of us cop to peeing in the pool, seven in 10 say they don't shower before they swim. As much as a cold pre-swim shower ruins that first dip feeling, Wiant makes a good case for why it's crucial.

The additional bacteria we carry on skin, in particular sweat and traces of fecal matter (yes even on adults),gets mixed in the pool. "If disinfectant isn't right, bacteria is allowed to grow in pools, so someone accidentally consumes a mouthful of water like we all do when we're swimming and suddenly they're subject to serious bacteria like E.coli or salmonella."

The high risk offenders, according to the Center for Disease Control, are those water recreational parks, a dangerous combination of packs of young swimmers and lots of accidental gulps. One targeted study by Georgia's Division of Public Health found that e.Coli infected at least 26 people at one water park in the summer of 1998, ultimately resulting in one fatality. Another study found the parasite Cryptosporidium survives even well-chlorinated water parks, posing a potentially fatal threat to those with lowered immune systems.

But small private pools and large public ones are also potential health hazards, depending on how they're maintained. The CDC notes a rapid rise in gastro-intestinal illnesses borne from dirty swimming pools across the country in the past two decades.

Short of getting pool maintenance certification or sweating out an unbearable summer, what can you do?

The first step is to be a good pool Samaritan. Take it to the restroom, folks, and emphasize lots of bathroom breaks for your kids. Another important to-do: always shower before getting in the pool. If you've done your part, you still can't trust your blissfully clueless fellow swimmers.

6 signs you shouldn't swim there

To find out of your pool is safe, look for some tell-tale signs of bacteria.

"Check if you see the bottom," says Dr. Wiant. "If a pool is clear it's likely very clean and balanced, but if it's it cloudy or the sides are slimy, those are signs that bacteria is prevalent and the pool isn't filtering out germs the way it should."

Hyper-vigilant swimmers can also purchase pool test strips at any drug store and do their own scientific assessment. "They're easy to use," he adds, "just crack one open and dip it in the pool and you'll be able to tell right away if the pool is clean."

[b]Another signal it's time to get out of the pool: burning, stinging eyes. [/b]Although it's not seriously harmful, when "urine combines with chlorine it becomes an irritant," Wiant says. So if you find yourself squinting in pain after a dive, ask yourself why that person doing the backstroke in the next lane looks so relaxed. It's not that nice of a day.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/swimming-pools-public-toilet-bowls-many-survey-193700688.html
Me wey dey swim 4 stream wats d advice 4me?
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by ayobase(m): 5:17am On Jun 16, 2012
naijasexy:

Actually, a friend of mine was on her period (which is usually quite heavy) when we swum yesterday. She used tampons though, but i couldn't help but think I was ingesting a fellow female's menstrual blood once that water went down my gut. We were five who went and about all of us took in different quantities of water at some point, including the bleeding chic. It made me nervy but I tried to not think about it. Oh God! embarassed

Eewww!
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by ayobase(m): 5:19am On Jun 16, 2012
berem: wetin 'concern' me with swimming pool when i get jacuzzi for house! mtscheeew!

Two different things!
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by ayobase(m): 5:23am On Jun 16, 2012
pendo89: I swim in pools mostly private. And I am aware of what people do.
Its always advisable to take a shower before u jump into the pool and after you come out.
There's nothing wrong with a girl in her ps swimming if shes wearing a tampon.It doesn't leak and water doesnt go in.
The pools are disinfected for these very reasons described here.
I am very conscious about sharing public things so I know which pools to avoid.
Bottom line is,once am inside the pool I enjoy the water, no time to check out who's peeing or what cz I will shower once am out

What about the water drunk?
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by ayobase(m): 5:23am On Jun 16, 2012
snthesis: me, i love farting in the pool grin grin grin grin grin
watching the bubbles rise to the surface and burst with a loud hiss is totally hilarious cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

LOL!
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by ayobase(m): 5:24am On Jun 16, 2012
count sparrow: it happened sometime ago, wen I was in secondary skool.. Me and my guys just finished swimming, next thing we say was a sanitary pad floating in d pool... Ewelewo!!! See as boys dey pour spit...

Ogbobiokoko!
WTF!
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by ayobase(m): 5:25am On Jun 16, 2012
kilimanjaro:
Bro, no be for the person wey get N5M o, na for the person wey don chop belle full......com dey find how hin go burst hin stomach.....

LMAO!
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by ayobase(m): 5:26am On Jun 16, 2012
kilimanjaro: @all,
If you are in Abuja, i will suggest you swim at Summersalt or Transcorp hilton. These pools are highly hygienic!
Don't go to Rita lori o, or else.......

Chelsea's is okay also!
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by ayobase(m): 5:27am On Jun 16, 2012
190: Shagged a gurl too in a pool

Condom floated out

Everybody bailed includin myself and her

U don come again o!
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by ayobase(m): 5:29am On Jun 16, 2012
Orikinla: It is scary. And in Nigeria where many people are dirty is worse. The swimming pools are scary with people you don't know where they have been and then jumping into the pool with you. I am even afraid to sit on public seats and shaking hands after seeing that 95% of Nigerians don't wash their hands after using the toilet!

Dey there o.....did u say 95%?
E tun to de o!
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by Nobody: 5:29am On Jun 16, 2012
nice article, every time i use a pool whether private or public i have serious flu and fever, so i stopped, now i just go swimming with friends and watch them swim while i enjoy my drink beside the pool. i miss swimming but i have to consider my health too.
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by ayobase(m): 5:31am On Jun 16, 2012
Ilekokonit: One of the most common illnesses associated with public pools is diarrhea caused by a parasite called Cryptosporidium. Cryptosporidium is found in the intestinal tract of infected humans [/b]and animals and is transmitted through the ingestion of fecal matter. This becomes a problem when the fecal matter is in the form of watery diarrhea, which rapidly dissipates in a large pool of water and becomes virtually invisible, says Ashley Lamonte, MPH (Master of Public Health) with the CDC.

A pool may be contaminated, even without a "fecal accident:" [b]trace amounts of bacteria on a person's bottom can be washed into a pool.

E. coli is a bacteria that lives in the intestinal tract of healthy humans and animals; one strain of the bacteria, however, is particularly virulent and can cause extreme illness and even death. In 1998, a contaminated home pool caused an outbreak of E. coli that hospitalized eight people and one child died.

Just remember that not all adults or most children wash their back passage properly before jumping in the pool . Plus kids with diarrhoea will just let go in the pool and as I do not want to swallow fecal matter (chlorinated or not), count me out of swimming.

U r making swimming in public places more scary now!
Well, prevention is better than cure.
Na to go look for 3M now o!

Make Nairalanders come to my aid o!
Make I send banks' details?
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by Reference(m): 6:47am On Jun 16, 2012
Maybe its better to arrive early and leave before the crowds arrive and since its a ppm issue, the bigger the pool the better. But this is really eye opening. You go to the beach and Fukushima is on your mind, you go to the pool and gross folks turn it to bio hazard. Why should a lady knowingly enter a pool while in her time. That's very selfish and uncaring.
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by jude33084(m): 7:17am On Jun 16, 2012
sad
Zenanted: Me wey dey swim 4 stream wats d advice 4me?

Yours is the BEST only if the stream is a flowing one
sad
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by doofanc: 7:26am On Jun 16, 2012
Ilekokonit: One of the most common illnesses associated with public pools is diarrhea caused by a parasite called Cryptosporidium. Cryptosporidium is found in the intestinal tract of infected humans [/b]and animals and is transmitted through the ingestion of fecal matter. This becomes a problem when the fecal matter is in the form of watery diarrhea, which rapidly dissipates in a large pool of water and becomes virtually invisible, says Ashley Lamonte, MPH (Master of Public Health) with the CDC.

men all this stuff i dey read is really scary. Added to the bacteria scare is menstrating ladies also taking a dip. .

Unfortunuately i luv swimmin a lot.
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by marvel10: 7:33am On Jun 16, 2012
You guys are bush... There are many pools that also have chemicals that turn a deep blue if anybody urinates in it. That is why Westerners know better than to pee in a pool. You see parents taking their young and running to the nearest loos from the pool. Lack of discipline will not kill us in Naija.
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by doofanc: 7:35am On Jun 16, 2012
Zenanted: Me wey dey swim 4 stream wats d advice 4me?

a flowing stream may actually be better than some of these stagnant swimming pools, which, based on what we've seen above, are no more than glorified petri dishes.
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by Nobody: 7:46am On Jun 16, 2012
I remember the feel of pool water when it gets into my shorts, washing out my bawls and all that tongue
so ya...pools...not hygenic.
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by beatricewebb: 7:51am On Jun 16, 2012
am addicted to swimming,its my first hobby,i swim under mostly an i dont use spec an i open my eyes always while under,since i dont swallow water the only prevention i think i need is to start using speck!
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by Pukkah: 8:04am On Jun 16, 2012
marvel10: You guys are bush... There are many pools that also have chemicals that turn a deep blue if anybody urinates in it. That is why Westerners know better than to pee in a pool. You see parents taking their young and running to the nearest loos from the pool. Lack of discipline will not kill us in Naija.

Don't be so quick to chastise others. Read the article and the comments very well to see that urine is not the only contaminant being discussed.

Mind you, the problem is not peculiar to Nigeria. In fact, the article focused on your so-called "Westerners"' pools.
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by kay9(m): 8:19am On Jun 16, 2012
marvel10: You guys are bush... There are many pools that also have chemicals that turn a deep blue if anybody urinates in it. That is why Westerners know better than to pee in a pool....
I dont know if u're biased towards the ''West'', or just plain blind. Abeg the study mentioned in the original thread post, where was it carried out?? Or maybe the Water Quality and Health Council of the US of A now carries out its research in our ''bush'' swimming pools... No wait, i get it; the 1 in 5 individuals who admitted to peeing in pools in the study must all be ''bush-reared'' nigerians/africans. Yes that must be it. angry After all, by your statments its very obvious that u cannot, nay, WILL NOT believe that the ''Holy and Sanctified Humans of the West'' also pee in pools. slowpoke.
Better go see a shrink and address your insecurities, ewu-awusa.
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by achi4u(m): 9:00am On Jun 16, 2012
nawa o,but i thought they do flush out those pool when the water is in baaad shape.

well am an expert swimmer i cant even gulp any water while deeping.

but gals in their pee should desist from such act.
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by Nobody: 9:37am On Jun 16, 2012
jude33084: sad

Yours is the BEST only if the stream is a flowing one
sad

Have you seen a stagnant stream before?
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by Ignatio(m): 9:39am On Jun 16, 2012
zubbainno123: .

Hahahahahaa............its simple ‎​Ju̶̲̥̅̊ڪ†̥ make sure ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ personally confirm dat all D̶̲̥̅̊ babes in D̶̲̥̅̊ pool r PERIOD free before taking a dive.

You mean I should check every girl's kitty before they dive in? Now that's one hell of a task.
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by Coefficient(m): 10:04am On Jun 16, 2012
I have never taken a dip before and don't intend doing so.
Apart from bleeding women, I remember seeing some dudes back in school then wearing a boxer shorts for almost a week and they go swimming with same. Remembering this gives me a good reason to stay away from pools added to my fear of water.
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by iykmora(m): 10:11am On Jun 16, 2012
mehn-gurlz in thr period, most wit wicked shapes puttin on next-to-notin clothes on, wit no tampon(even if thr is), causin boiz eyez to pop hence causin reaction within d system-somethin hardenin, spasm then wholesome ejacu'lation, chemical reactions(plus xchange b/w males and females) wit d water servin as comm. means-external cop'ulation takin place unknowingly...who says thatz not one hell of a proccess, and thatz why you paid for it **laffin demonically** ''LIFE IN A POOL''
HOPE spermatozoa/HIV can not survive in such condition or it wil be catastrophic!
""**I WILL NEVER GO CLOSE TO A POOL, WHETHER PUBLIC OR PRIVATE AS LONG I AM NOT D ONLY USER**""
Re: Beware Of Swimming Pools by kilimanjaro(m): 10:46am On Jun 16, 2012
ayobase:

Chelsea's is okay also!
Yes, Chelsea is okay.
Nicon Luxury, Sheraton, Rockview and Bolton White too are also okay but Summersalt and Transccorp are the best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

COVID-19 Testing Resumes In Kano / Benefits Of Drinking Lipton Tea / Facial Treatment With Live Snail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.