Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,752 members, 7,827,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. (1626 Views)

This free hosting website is dedicated to Nairaland webmasters / Calling On All Nairaland's Webmasters / Help! Yawatide, Dual Core, DHTML- Nairaland Webmasters! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. by VideoBills(m): 12:23pm On Jun 02, 2012
Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help me review my website. I tried viewing my pages from a mobile phone and they were not properly aligned. Help me check it out and also show me little details that may help to turn off a customer from patronizing my services. Here is the website: www.blograd.com

2 Likes

Re: Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. by dking123: 1:21am On Jun 03, 2012
beautiful site but i think ur services r expensive i.e the web hosting services.
Re: Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. by VideoBills(m): 10:47pm On Jun 17, 2012
d king123: beautiful site but i think ur services r expensive i.e the web hosting services.
Thanks, Man. I have upgraded the design and would want another assessment of my webdesign.
Re: Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. by doncigalo: 7:53am On Jun 18, 2012
@VideoBills Ait, what you want is what we call a responsive design (meaning a design that responds to both web and mobile browsers), its done purely in HTML and CSS, you accomplish this using media queries. Media queries are basically a CSS3 functionality that allows you to give style to different kind of devices.

So for example, you can write a rule that says if a user’s screen-size is less than 320 pixels (tablet and smartphone), don’t show the sidebar or if the screen size is greater than 1920 pixels (widescreen desktop), increase the font size of the body text to 15px. Here are same rules translated to code:

@media screen and (max-width:320px) {
.sidebar { display: none }
}
@media screen and (min-width:1920px) {
body { font-size: 15px }
}

There are also other techniques that are used as well such as the use of percentages and fluid images. For more info google responsive design , there are tons of information and forums to help you out.

Now, concerning your website.. without mincing my words..it needs a make over for your clients to take you serious.
Re: Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. by Nobody: 8:12am On Jun 18, 2012
@doncigalo, nice suggestion bro. But what proportion of Nigerian komputers have css 3 compatible browser?

Should the media queries have anything to fallback on in case browser is oldskool.

@topic: My own suggestion is to use a liquid/fluid layout that expands to fit the entire screen.
Re: Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. by doncigalo: 8:24am On Jun 18, 2012
That shouldnt be a problem , media queries are currently supported on all browsers, all web browsers have supported this feature right from their initial release (except the prodigal child : IE; however IE 9 now supports it).

More info can be found here:
http://caniuse.com/css-mediaqueries
Re: Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. by Nobody: 8:43am On Jun 18, 2012
Many Nigerians use outdated web browsers. Many corporate organizations i have worked for (banks included) normally use Internet Explorer, and many of them are outdated. So i will still suggest a fallback plan - that is why i still have crazybrowser on my pc for very serious projects - so that no one will complain.
Re: Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. by binaflexia: 9:55am On Jun 18, 2012
+1 @dhtml for suggesting crazy browser for IE6 testing. I have been thinking how to install IE6 on top my IE 9. Thanks for pointing that out.
Re: Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. by yawatide(f): 10:50am On Jun 18, 2012
I thought DHTML had "retired" tongue

That shouldnt be a problem , media queries are currently supported on all browsers, all web browsers have supported this feature right from their initial release (except the prodigal child : IE; however IE 9 now supports it).

The above statement funny small small, he he. Poster is arguing for responsive design and gives valid reasons for it (granted it can be taxing on devices like smartphones and feature phones as the browsers have to do calculations each time, say, the orientation changes and for countries like Nigeria where bandwidth is at a premium, this could add up, time-/resource-wise....but I digress) but then says it is supported in ALL browsers except the very ones that Nigerians (as in non-techies) use for the most part. For consistency, I would probably argue in favor of a mobile framework, like jQuery Mobile and maintain a separate base for mobile and desktop. Depending on what OP is trying to accomplish, I would say this approach is less "messy".

All the same, I think this is a digression. It's a good post but belongs to a thread of its own and not here.
Re: Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jun 18, 2012
^^^caramba! I only stepped aside for awhile - but am back in business, until i collect my appointment later. . . .am changing work location (moving base from LASUTH)
Re: Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. by doncigalo: 10:44pm On Jun 18, 2012
@yawatide Actually you're wrong, the processing you're talking about is done on the browser and not on the server, so bandwidth does come into play at all.

Another aspect that you're wrong as well, is that if you have used media queries before , you would have noticed that even though it is not supported in older versions of IE the browser will still render the desktop version of the page no problemo as the default styling of the page which is in the same css script will be rendered.

So even the non-techies will still be able to view the pages.
Re: Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. by Nobody: 6:23am On Jun 19, 2012
*Strolling*
Re: Pls, Dear Nairaland Webmasters, Help Me Review My Website. by Desmond1990: 10:02pm On Apr 21, 2013
How do u see www.gurusland.com i want to apply for there admin member

(1) (Reply)

How Blog Listing Helps Linda Ikeji / If You Have 2 Years Old Payoneer Account For Sale Contact Me / Adsense Has Approved My Blog!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.