Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,004 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:30 AM

''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church (3785 Views)

11 PHOTOS: PRAYING And BOWING Down Before The Graven Image Of MARY Is A SIN! / Letter To Bishop Oyedepo: Thou Shall Serve No Other God, By Adeolu Ademoyo / God Said Thou Shalt Not Kill But He Ordered People To Kill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by mkmyers45(m): 1:10pm On Jun 04, 2012
It is a clear commandment of God that graven images should not be made but all over i see images,crucifix and stuff being sold,worn and adored in Churches all over the world by Pentecostals,Orthodox and what have you? I maybe wrong but do they have a different scriptural interpretation for that.....

All views are welcomed.....
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by Seun(m): 1:27pm On Jun 04, 2012
Old Testament.
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by mkmyers45(m): 1:34pm On Jun 04, 2012
Seun: Old Testament.

Wikipedia

A testament is a document that the author has sworn to be true.

Except the former sworn truth is no longer valid and hence invalidated it hold's forth....
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by buzugee(m): 4:27pm On Jun 04, 2012
mkmyers45: It is a clear commandment of God that graven images should not be made but all over i see images,crucifix and stuff being sold,worn and adored in Churches all over the world by Pentecostals,Orthodox and what have you? I maybe wrong but do they have a different scriptural interpretation for that.....

acts 17 vs 24
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by ijawkid(m): 4:40pm On Jun 04, 2012
buzugee: acts 17 vs 24

Buzugee what's ur point

Are u in support of images. Been used in churches today
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by Seun(m): 4:54pm On Jun 04, 2012
mkmyers45: Wikipedia

A testament is a document that the author has sworn to be true.

Except the former sworn truth is no longer valid and hence invalidated it hold's forth....
Christians believe the New Testament supercedes the Old. There are many things there that they don't follow.
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by Optimisticgondy(m): 5:28pm On Jun 04, 2012
If we are to agree the verse is from the old testament and shouldn't be taken serious, then emphasis should not be laid on tithes payment cos it's found in the old testament

3 Likes

Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by Jenwitemi(m): 5:45pm On Jun 04, 2012
That would cause a financial crash, meltdown, collapse, armaggedon and apocalypse of the ecclesiastical economy. wink
Optimisticgondy: If we are to agree the verse is from the old testament and shouldn't be taken serious, then emphasis should not be laid on tithes payment cos it's found in the old testament
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by buzugee(m): 6:04pm On Jun 04, 2012
ijawkid:

Buzugee what's ur point

Are u in support of images. Been used in churches today
Yezzur. Images like that belong in church, after all JOB 14 VS 4 Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? There is not one.
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by mkmyers45(m): 6:20pm On Jun 04, 2012
buzugee: Yezzur. Images like that belong in church, after all JOB 14 VS 4 Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? There is not one.
i dont get your point at all..
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by mkmyers45(m): 6:21pm On Jun 04, 2012
Optimisticgondy: If we are to agree the verse is from the old testament and shouldn't be taken serious, then emphasis should not be laid on tithes payment cos it's found in the old testament
Hehe..All Church go close be dat..

1 Like

Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by mkmyers45(m): 6:23pm On Jun 04, 2012
Seun:
Christians believe the New Testament supercedes the Old. There are many things there that they don't follow.
I wonder why they are following the tithe rule..
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by Seun(m): 6:27pm On Jun 04, 2012
Correct. tithe payment as practiced in modern pentecostal churches has no biblical basis at all. It's simply a scam.

mkmyers45: I wonder why they are following the tithe rule..
Some pastors desperate for cash started preaching the tithing rule to their gullible members. These churches got more money than other churches, so they grew faster and became dominant. Other churches trying to compete with them are forced to preach the same rule. Tithing is now a self-sustaining tradition that everyone believes and everyone accepts.

1 Like

Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by buzugee(m): 6:34pm On Jun 04, 2012
mkmyers45: i dont get your point at all..
when you have eba and no stew, bread with no jam, boli with no groundnut. these are incomplete. so is a church without its pagan images. a pagan institution needs pagan images.
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by mkmyers45(m): 6:46pm On Jun 04, 2012
buzugee: when you have eba and no stew, bread with no jam, boli with no groundnut. these are incomplete. so is a church without its pagan images. a pagan institution needs pagan images.
Oi i get it..Anti-pagan eh?
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by mkmyers45(m): 6:49pm On Jun 04, 2012
Seun:
Correct. tithe payment as practiced in modern pentecostal churches has no biblical basis at all. It's simply a scam.

Some pastors desperate for cash started preaching the tithing rule to their gullible members. These churches got more money than other churches, so they grew faster and became dominant. Other churches trying to compete with them are forced to preach the same rule. Tithing is now a self-sustaining tradition that everyone believes and everyone accepts.
EPIC!
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by LogicMind: 6:58pm On Jun 04, 2012
you would sooner get a camel through the eye of a needle.

1 Like

Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by ijawkid(m): 7:02pm On Jun 04, 2012
buzugee: when you have eba and no stew, bread with no jam, boli with no groundnut. these are incomplete. so is a church without its pagan images. a pagan institution needs pagan images.

HÉhehe...

Buzugee u no well @ all...

Lol.....
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by Ubenedictus(m): 7:02pm On Jun 04, 2012
Jenwitemi: That would cause a financial crash, meltdown, collapse, armaggedon and apocalypse of the ecclesiastical economy. wink
this is not very true. The catholic church isnt big on tithe yet people think she is financially stable.

1 Like

Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by buzugee(m): 7:09pm On Jun 04, 2012
mkmyers45: Oi i get it..Anti-pagan eh?
nope not anti-pagan. i would hope that in 2012 people would have realized that churches are secular social places and nothing to do with God. isnt that obvious yet ?
ijawkid:

HÉhehe...

Buzugee u no well @ all...

Lol.....
it is what it is my Bros cheesy

1 Like

Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by Ubenedictus(m): 7:10pm On Jun 04, 2012
and the jewish religion has jewish image. The christain religion has christain image, that is y there are christain images that date back to the 1st century.
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by buzugee(m): 7:11pm On Jun 04, 2012
Ubenedictus: this is not very true. The catholic church isnt big on tithe yet people think she is financially stable.
the catholic church collects tithes from countries not peons (humans )

1 Like

Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by buzugee(m): 7:12pm On Jun 04, 2012
Ubenedictus: and the jewish religion has jewish image. The christain religion has christain image, that is y there are christain images that date back to the 1st century.
exactly, and the point here is that religion is man made. i would hope every sane person would have realized that now in 2012
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by Jenwitemi(m): 8:01pm On Jun 04, 2012
That only means the church(catholic) has other more effective means of making it's money. That is the reason for it's financial stability.
Ubenedictus: this is not very true. The catholic church isnt big on tithe yet people think she is financially stable.
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by PastorKun(m): 12:04pm On Jun 05, 2012
mkmyers45: It is a clear commandment of God that graven images should not be made but all over i see images,crucifix and stuff being sold,worn and adored in Churches all over the world by Pentecostals,Orthodox and what have you? I maybe wrong but do they have a different scriptural interpretation for that.....

You mis understand that scripture, God commanded that graven images shouuld not be made as an object of worship. Not that they should not be made at all.
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by PastorKun(m): 12:14pm On Jun 05, 2012

The catholic church actually first brought the doctrine of tithes into christianity and they practised it for centuries. However in modern times with widespread use of the bible and enlightenment it became obvious it was a false doctrine so they decided to retract and preach it as voluntary. However the catholic church being the oldest and richest institution in the world has amassed wealth over the centuries which they continue to re-invest. The catholic church is the largest shareholder in a good number of large corporations in America and around the world they made good money from tithes and other scams like 'sale of indulgence' in the past but today they have moved ahead. They are so huge now that tithe money would seem like peanuts to them.
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by mkmyers45(m): 12:15pm On Jun 05, 2012
Pastor Kun:

You mis understand that scripture, God commanded that graven images shouuld not be made as an object of worship. Not that they should not be made at all.
Tell me an image or images made by the church that is not worshiped...
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by PastorKun(m): 12:26pm On Jun 05, 2012
mkmyers45: Tell me an image or images made by the church that is not worshiped...

Why don't you tell me an image that is worshipped in churches as I am not aware of any.
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by Afam4eva(m): 12:51pm On Jun 05, 2012
@OP
That's in the old testament. We're leaving by grace now so all those laws in the old testament do not apply to us. Whether you use graven images or you don't it does not change anything.
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by mkmyers45(m): 1:05pm On Jun 05, 2012
Pastor Kun:

Why don't you tell me an image that is worshipped in churches as I am not aware of any.
Crucifix,Frames with M.O.G Picture eg TB Joshua, sculpture etc
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by mkmyers45(m): 1:06pm On Jun 05, 2012
afam4eva: @OP
That's in the old testament. We're leaving by grace now so all those laws in the old testament do not apply to us. Whether you use graven images or you don't it does not change anything.
Ok, So every law in the old testament is outdated abi? so using graven images is ok ryt? i guess you dont pay tithe do you?
Re: ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church by Afam4eva(m): 1:08pm On Jun 05, 2012
mkmyers45: Ok, So every law in the old testament is outdated abi? so using graven images is ok ryt? i guess you dont pay tithe do you?
Yes, every law in the old testament is outdated as we are no longer bound by rules but by grace.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? / 1500 Year Old Bible Confirms That "Jesus Christ" Was Not Crucified / Just Before You Choose A Soul Mate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.