Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,301 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change (12537 Views)

UNILAG Postpones Convocation As Jonathan Insists On Name Change / UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests / Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by ypzilanti: 9:01am On Jun 05, 2012
werepeLeri:

The bolded answers your vituperations. Stop foaming in the mouth.

'You can disagree, as you have just done, but you cannot deny them the right to their opinion and decision to challnge it lawfully.'

Very selective...quote me properly. The above was right there in my post, but you chose not to read it.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by lanrefront1(m): 9:04am On Jun 05, 2012
I have said sevearl times, and so has many other people, majority of Nairalanders are devoid of intellect. Otherwise, how difficult is to discern that the crux of the matter at hand (i.e. the case being files at court) is violation of the constitution and not the name change. The power to change the name of UNILAG belongs to the National Assembly and not the President.

Why is so difficult to understand, the reason why US and European countries are so much developed is no one can violate their constitution and go scot free. Even their President cannot violate their constitution by spending 3000 billion for an item which 247 billion has been budgeted by the lawmakers of the land.

What the students are doing is good for the country. They have more sense and balls than most adults and Nairalanders.

It's because our constitution is continually being violated everyday by the Executive that Nigeria is where it is today, a nation whose blood and intestines has been gutted by the terrible monster: CORRUPTION.

With the kind of youths we have on Nairaland, I don't see much hope for the nation being emacipated from the strangle hold of corruption.

Nairalanders, pls go and get yourself a brain and start using it for God's sake.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by werepeLeri: 9:07am On Jun 05, 2012
lanre_front: I have said sevearl times, and so has many other people, majority of Nairalanders are devoid of intellect. Otherwise, how difficult is to discern that the crux of the matter at hand (i.e. the case being files at court) is violation of the constitution and not the name change.[i][/i] The power to change the name of UNILAG belongs to the National Assembly and not the President.

Why is so difficult to understand, the reason why US and European countries are so much developed is no one can violate their constitution and go scot free. Even their President cannot violate their constitution by spending 3000 billion for an item which 247 billion has been budgeted by the lawmakers of the land.

What the students are doing is good for the country. They have more sense and balls than most adults and Nairalanders.

It's because our constitution is continually being violated everyday by the Executive that Nigeria is where it is today, a nation whose blood and intestines has been gutted by the terrible monster: CORRUPTION.

With the kind of youths we have on Nairaland, I don't see much hope for the nation being emacipated from the strangle hold of corruption.

Nairalanders, pls go and get yourself a brain and start using it for God's sake.

Quote us vividly which section of the constitution has been violated by the name change!
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by canuck(m): 9:08am On Jun 05, 2012
werepeLeri: Now they are following "due process" abi? Who told them going to the streets was "due process" in the first instance? Silly goats. I attended UNILAG, and who gives a damn if my ex school is now MAU? I dont. If you dont like the new name, change school. Period.

You are obviously not proud of your Alma Mater. With your poor graduating CGPA and underachievement after graduation, your Alma Mater is disappointed in you. You fell through the UNILAG crack.

Lay-about!
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 05, 2012
A BIG WASTE OF TIME, Maulag can never ever be changed back to unilag. You guyd think say GEJ just waked up and renamed unilag just like that, that same fuel subsidy cabal still dey behind............. If i were you guys i would go back to the classroom..........Am very sure ACN has a hand in it.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by vanitty: 9:20am On Jun 05, 2012
ypzilanti:

I cannot believe this. Supposedely educated people on Nairaland challenging Nigerians that are agrieved by what they view as a president over reaching his constititional powers in court. Is it not then left for the court to either rule for or against them? Are his powers infinite? Should the president have the power to change your surname to Ebele Jonathan? Abeg shut up and let the courts decide this one.

You were not really making any iota of sense, but when you suggested that "the president can change my name to Ebele Jonathan" I realised I was about to talk with a silly person so I had to hold my words. How does a president changing my name correlates to the president changing a university name?!

You know what that is a rhetorical question, never mind answering it, you simply just won't understand so therefore I am not going to waste my time, this is not even a debatable issue as far as I am concerned. My stance on this stand, it is, say after me S.T.U.P.I.D

Name change = court but the real important issues amounts to a few word rant on nairaland and "God is in control"
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by werepeLeri: 9:22am On Jun 05, 2012
canuck:

You are obviously not proud of your Alma Mater. With your poor graduating CGPA and underachievement after graduation, your Alma Mater is disappointed in you. You fell through the UNILAG crack.

Lay-about!

LOL. Stop foaming in the mouth like an im becile. You cant even tie my show laces, talkless of talking where I am - I no blame you, this one na cyber space, you can open your dirty mouth and let anything that matters comes out of it. LOL.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by canuck(m): 9:22am On Jun 05, 2012
Akieagle: Those former unilag stds are not serious.taking fg to court is like taking the owner of the university to court

Here is a scenario - You bring children into the world. Feed them. House them. Fund all their needs. Here is a shortlist of what you SHOULD NOT do to them, even though you brought them to this world:

1) Sexually abuse them
2) Maim them
3) Kill them
4) Malnourish them
5) Endanger them
6) Deprive them of basic education
7) Etc

Bottomline: In civil society, absolute power does not lie with an individual on any matter, including the "owner".

Unfortunately, we (Nigerians) have been abused by successive govts so much so that we are clueless about the limits of properly constituted power.

Even an "owner" has limits in civilized societies, except we're building a different kind of society.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by canuck(m): 9:25am On Jun 05, 2012
werepeLeri:

LOL. Stop foaming in the mouth like an im becile. You cant even tie my show laces, talkless of talking where I am - I no blame you, this one na cyber space, you can open your dirty mouth and let anything that matters comes out of it. LOL.

If you truly have any shoes worth tying, it does not reflect in your disdain for your Alma Mater and level of reasoning. Tells us how you got those shoes! Lay-about!

BTW slowpoke is ONE word, not two. See yourself so? Olodo!

Also, it's spelled S-H-O-E not "show"

O'lboy, you are a disgrace to UNILAG, if you truly graduated from that great skul (really, spelled as "school" but I want to be sure you know what I mean!) cheesy
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by utenwuson: 9:26am On Jun 05, 2012
wastin dier tym... Imagine ds student takin gudluck 2 court!! Even wen nigerian as a whole no fit win gudluck wen hin comot subsidy talk more of sm small small boys...he b like na xtra yr student sef! mthwww
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by werepeLeri: 9:28am On Jun 05, 2012
canuck:

If you truly have any shoes worth tying, it does not reflect in your disdain for your Alma Mater and level of reasoning. Tells us how you got those shoes! Lay-about!

BTW slowpoke is ONE word, not two.[i][/i] See yourself so? Olodo!

LOL. With this daft statement of yours, I can see how stoopid you are.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by edicolove: 9:28am On Jun 05, 2012
lanre_front: I have said sevearl times, and so has many other people, majority of Nairalanders are devoid of intellect. Otherwise, how difficult is to discern that the crux of the matter at hand (i.e. the case being files at court) is violation of the constitution and not the name change. The power to change the name of UNILAG belongs to the National Assembly and not the President.

Hmmm, nice argument. But why aint they rather fighting for the very many serious issues that threathen their very existence. Instead they choose name change of all things to show their understanding of their human rights. This your argument is standing on one toe, bro. You need to do more to help it.

It seems to us that they have their priorities twisted. And please just to ask. These students have barely enough money to eat and keep up, so where will they get the money to run a court case that would go all the way to the supreme court if the parties are really serious and would span years. These kind of cases are very very expensive, believe me. Except of course, their generous sponsor, BAT, will bell the cat.

And just to let them know they will have long graduated by the time the case is thru or they will need to reject their certificate by the time they graduate because it will bear MAULAG. This is really hillarious!
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by ndahbros1: 9:33am On Jun 05, 2012
freecocoa: The mumuness\mumuism of these ones know no bounds.

What a waste of time.
I strongly disagree wit u. This is a democracy. Aggrieved persons are always encouraged to approach d courts rather than take laws into their hands. Weda dey lose or not is another matter. If every Nigerian stood up for his right like this, we wud hv been in a better situation dan we r now. It wil curtail govt arbitrariness if these boys win in d end.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by canuck(m): 9:34am On Jun 05, 2012
edicolove:

Hmmm, nice argument. But why aint they rather fighting for the very many serious issues that threathen their very existence. Instead they choose name change of all things to show their understanding of their human rights. This your argument is standing on one toe, bro. You need to do more to help it.

It seems to us that they have their priorities twisted. And please just to ask. These students have barely enough money to eat and keep up, so where will they get the money to run a court case that would go all the way to the supreme court if the parties are really serious and would span years. These kind of cases are very very expensive, believe me. Except of course, their generous sponsor, BAT, will bell the cat.

And just to let them know they will have long graduated by the time the case is thru or they will need to reject their certificate by the time they graduate because it will bear MAULAG. This is really hillarious!

Those young, civil-minded students chose an area of injustice to redress.

Since you know more "serious issues" requiring attention, why don't YOU champion those issues? Oh, I forgot, you are a typical Nigerian who sits on his/her butt and yaps all day with no sense of responsibility. Comot for road jor!
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Ugosample(m): 9:35am On Jun 05, 2012
[quote
author=utenwuson]wastin dier tym... Imagine ds student
takin gudluck 2 court!! Even wen nigerian as a whole
no fit win gudluck wen hin comot subsidy talk more
of sm small small boys...he b like na xtra yr student
sef! mthwww[/quote] we will see about that.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by canuck(m): 9:37am On Jun 05, 2012
ndahbros1:
I strongly disagree wit u. This is a democracy. Aggrieved persons are always encouraged to approach d courts rather than take laws into their hands. Weda dey lose or not is another matter. If every Nigerian stood up for his right like this, we wud hv been in a better situation dan we r now. It wil curtail govt arbitrariness if these boys win in d end.

GBAM! Finally, a long-awaited sensible viewpoint - And you're neither supporting nor opposing the name-change sef. The likes of you are becoming a dying breed on NL, and painfully, in Nigeria.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by edicolove: 9:43am On Jun 05, 2012
canuck:

Those young, civil-minded students chose an area of injustice to redress.

Since you know more "serious issues" requiring attention, why don't YOU champion those issues? Oh, I forgot, you are a typical Nigerian who sits on his/her butt and yaps all day with no sense of responsibility. Comot for road jor!

Lol! The oyibos call it misplaced priority. I call it NFA: No Future Ambition.

I know why they have the time though. I have people there and they spend most of their time doing yahoo stuff and flexing around. They then settle lecturers to pass. That thing in akoka is not a school. It is a gamblers den and a LovePeddler house. Where do you think entertainment people go to get cheap girls to do all sorts of crazy stuff? Good answer, MAULAG. Funny lot!
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Ugosample(m): 9:43am On Jun 05, 2012
Let all Nigerians come out say no to irresponsible govt. the best way to do this is not to sell your vote and put inec under pressure to conduct free and fair elections.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 05, 2012
Utme 2013 is around the corner. If the kids do not like their new name then I advise that they take it and choose OAU as their first choices. However, I must warn you that OAU pume is tsunamic and bokoharamic. before I forget, LUTH is now MAUTH so if the medical students do not like that too then they should consider the same option.
By the way, I think "abiola babes" sounds sexier than "akokites". seriously. Mehn' GEJ is brilliant.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Nauttyprof(m): 9:54am On Jun 05, 2012
I fear Nigerians so much, all we can do is to just criticise without doing anything. These people started with a protest, you all were accusing them of taking the wrong step, hauling several insults on them. Now, they woke up and decided to take the case to court, and you all are still raining insults on them. I tire for Naija o.... Wetin man go do to please una. Which way Naija?
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by canuck(m): 9:57am On Jun 05, 2012
edicolove:

Lol! The oyibos call it misplaced priority. I call it NFA: No Future Ambition.

I know why they have the time though. I have people there and they spend most of their time doing yahoo stuff and flexing around. They then settle lecturers to pass. That thing in akoka is not a school. It is a gamblers den and a LovePeddler house. Where do you think entertainment people go to get cheap girls to do all sorts of crazy stuff? Good answer, MAULAG. Funny lot!

If your post is true about the state of affairs in UNILAG, then you should be rebuking GEJ for simply re-naming the school; he should've shut it down then.

By changing the name, if your post is true, GEJ is merely rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. . .Nigeria IS the Titanic! sad
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by ndahbros1: 10:15am On Jun 05, 2012
Although no litigation outcome is certain, but with the govt not having refuted that
1. The school came to life tru an Act of Parliament
2. The said Act provides for the name
3. The common law on procedure to amend any section of an Act is to come b4 d Parliament
4. They did not approach the NASS
it makes d case for d students easier.
And mark my words, d first issue FG will bring in defence of d suit would be a preliminary objection challenging d locus standi ( the right to sue) of the 10 students. If d students surmount that part, d ride becomes easier.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by stepone(m): 10:18am On Jun 05, 2012
salaksmana: Who employed the judge? This is Nigeria they should learn to live with that, the last time I checked Unilag's name wasn't the 1st to be change, the name changes nothing so it shouldn't cause any wahala now. They're embarking on a WILD GOOSE CHASE

I can see why your type of person will always like to study under a corrupt Government... Is the president above that Law? If varsity students now understand right from wrong, don't blame them. The president should follow the right step. We have "Equal Rights" under the Law of the Federation.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Demdem(m): 10:20am On Jun 05, 2012
ndahbros1: Although no litigation outcome is certain, but with the govt not having refuted that
3. The common law on procedure to amend any section of an Act is to come b4 d Parliament
And mark my words, d first issue FG will bring in defence of d suit would be a preliminary objection challenging d locus standi ( the right to sue) of the 10 students. If d students surmount that part, d ride becomes easier.

Right on point.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by dmainboss: 10:23am On Jun 05, 2012
canuck:

If your post is true about the state of affairs in UNILAG, then you should be rebuking GEJ for simply re-naming the school; he should've shut it down then.

By changing the name, if your post is true, GEJ is merely rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. . .Nigeria IS the Titanic! sad

Actually, I would have suggested bringing in very strict external invigilators to conduct, mark and release their next exams. Half the school will be on their way back home after that. Lol
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by stepone(m): 10:23am On Jun 05, 2012
ndahbros1: Although no litigation outcome is certain, but with the govt not having refuted that

Knowledgeable smiley wink cheesy cool
Greatest Akokaite
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Ideasroole: 10:25am On Jun 05, 2012
Emmy Boy: it is not a question of who employed the Judge. Let us not condone such mentality. There are fearless Judges who who abound in the judiciary and would interprete the law strictly as it is, no matter whose ox is gored. Why not lets watch and see what happens before we rush to conclusions?
LWKMD! Criosly guy, I understand ur sentiments bt even in d much perceived most democratized societies of d world, some policies or government decisions r sometimes made n enforced ''UN-DEMOCRATICALLY''. And in dis case I feel dis issue certainly wont be an exception given d insensitive nature of our leaders n policy-makers. I pray n sincerely hope d issue is resolved @ d most rational n logical conclusion.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Ugosample(m): 10:27am On Jun 05, 2012
[quote
author=ndahbros1]Although no litigation outcome is certain, but with
the govt not having refuted that
3. The common law on procedure to amend any section of an Act is to come
b4 d Parliament
And mark my words, d first issue FG will bring in defence of d suit
would be a preliminary objection challenging d locus standi ( the right
to sue) of the 10 students. If d students surmount that part, d ride
becomes easier.[/quote] at last, somebody is using his head. we need people who use their brains in this country.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Insanity(m): 10:30am On Jun 05, 2012
Judging with the posts here, Nigerians are not civilized enough to practise democracy...dats just it!

@canuck @ndahbros1 @lanre front
Very good comments! You think in the right direction! Peace!

1 Like

Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by edicolove: 10:31am On Jun 05, 2012
dmainboss:

Actually, I would have suggested bringing in very strict external invigilators to conduct, mark and release their next exams. Half the school will be on their way back home after that. Lol

No mind these pumpkins from a low IQ school. Lol
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 05, 2012
salaksmana: Who employed the judge? This is Nigeria they should learn to live with that, the last time I checked Unilag's name wasn't the 1st to be change, the name changes nothing so it shouldn't cause any wahala now. They're embarking on a WILD GOOSE CHASE
gettout jor.......its their right and their school
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by fmgold: 10:39am On Jun 05, 2012
Please answer this: Will UNN students want the University to be renamed Odmegwu Ojukwu University of Nsuka (OOUN).Especially without due process. I ask because that might happen soon.

The students are not out of order,suing the FG. They are asking the FG to follow due process which is what we need in our young democracy especially when such an undemocratic anarchist decision is taken on democracy day ain't that ironic enough.

Remember this issue has not only offended the student,other aggreived parties include the VC,ASSU,UNILAG Alumni and the national assembly who has said they are still waiting for the proposal for ratification on their table,because only then can such a decree stand. The students are not making a fool of themselves, rather GEJ is making a fool of himself and Nigerians.

Please support a government based on positive decision making and policies not the personality of the office holder. God help Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Subjects Combination For Sociology / Cheapest Universities In The Uk (10+ Unis From £4,000) / ABU Begins Courses In Islamic Banking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.