Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,614 members, 7,820,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change (12527 Views)

UNILAG Postpones Convocation As Jonathan Insists On Name Change / UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests / Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by obamaobama: 6:26am On Jun 05, 2012
canuck:
Ordinary men, without government machinery/money defeated powerful, wealthy, sitting PDP governors in courts with a PDP federal government. . .How we forget so soon.

Shuo! These students did not have a hand in your failing to meet UNILAG cut-off marks abeg! Stop hating! cheesy

100% Bush Meat na im you be! If you don't know what is in an institutional name, you definitely lack substance. . .If GEJ wakes up tomorrow, and with regard to due legal process changes NIGERIA to SHOELESS JOE, you will spew the same crap. . .A very DIM gurl you are shocked
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by EkoIle1: 6:27am On Jun 05, 2012
vanitty: This young ones are very stupid, won ma gor gan o
So they feel hard done by because of 'name change' awon omo yi o ma gbon at all o.
Honestly, going to court over a "name change" in our beloved Nigeria, highest level of misplaced priority.
Was it their personal name or their father or father's father name that was changed.
Their parents must be so proud!!
Court over a school's name change hahaha, awon odensin omo, ala lojuti omo
Haba, can't just get my head around it all. Court over name change buhahahahahaha

Don't ever think other people don't have any rights just because you think you don't have any and you stand for nothing in life.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by xhero: 6:28am On Jun 05, 2012
Anybody who criticizes wot the students are doing, is a stupid, ignorant coward!!! Aren't u ashamed dat children av dared to fight against the oppression that their lazy and stupid elders, especially many dummys on this thread, cud neva do? Y dnt u old waste pipes set aside ur ignorance from the fact dat its not just about a name, but an unjust act. If other schools av experienced such and did nothing about it, den its not our fault that the school admitted a bunch of cowards! If all nigerians can put in half of the efforts or stay as united as these courageous few then there will truly be hope for this wretched country.

I pray that God will continue to kip dem united and give them the strenght and courage to win the battle that lazy elders dnt even dream of fighting.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by greall1: 6:36am On Jun 05, 2012
Rubbish
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by noblegirl54yah(f): 6:37am On Jun 05, 2012
smiley pls dont insult and embarrass others with ur stupidity since u dont believe in democracy.M.K.O has a stadium,a polythethnic, a street,a garden.if FG wants more he should name him after one of his new 9 universities yet 2 b recognized and not a school dat has celebrated its 50th golden jubilee and has gained international recognition long live UNILAG!!!!!!!!!
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by vanitty: 6:48am On Jun 05, 2012
Eko Ile:

Don't ever think other people don't have any rights just because you think you don't have any and you stand for nothing in life.

My apologies, I definitely got it all wrong! What a great way to exercise your 'right'
Police brutality for eons, corruption aplenty on the same MAU corridors but yes, I would rather go to court over name change because dammit I know my rights

Can't blame them much though, when they refuse to graduate after years and years in school, using the 'unilag' name as a source of livelihood, it most probably would start to feel like MAU is the beginning and end of their life hence the pain they are going through right now.
What a joke.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by acidtalk: 6:49am On Jun 05, 2012
ekt_bear: Up Unilag students!

Up MAULAG you mean?
the earlier you guys start to accept the name, the better.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by bright007(f): 6:53am On Jun 05, 2012
This post has been hidden
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by 080ictcom(f): 6:53am On Jun 05, 2012
i wonder what mr president is doing in that sit by allow his god fathers and advicers to control him. THINK TWICE
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 05, 2012
You should all continue writing stories and analyzing, how many bodies dragged govt to court during subsidy issue and where is the result, you're watching a film & at least you will have something to talk about and forget that electricity tariff has now increase, there's no good road network etc, continue with all your theories on nairaland o.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by AK481(m): 6:56am On Jun 05, 2012
OK/2/NV:
Hieght of stoopidity.

UNIBEN students during IBB's rule initiated the "IBB MUST GO" riots, which was an eye opener to Babangida leading him to seriously consider conducting elections, which he did.

These idioots are complaining about the loss of swagg and saying sh1t about brand name where it is obvious that there is nothing cool about your rubbish school. Where does UNILAG rank amongst African Universities? What research contribution has the world benefited from your glorified secondary school?

calling africa with be too much for them,in nigeria,they are nt even top 5.in their totality they dont know anything,among all the fedral university they come academically n intelectualy last.
I m an engineer from unn,i work in lagos,n i ve met alot of their 'suposed engrn graduates'...all of them fa fa fa...fowl.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by surveycash(m): 6:57am On Jun 05, 2012
salaksmana: Who employed the judge? This is Nigeria they should learn to live with that, the last time I checked Unilag's name wasn't the 1st to be change, the name changes nothing so it shouldn't cause any wahala now. They're embarking on a WILD GOOSE CHASE

Am not happy with this statement. It is attitude like this that increases the level of decadence in this country. Fela called it suffering and smiling. It is better to die fighting than die a coward. This struggle is sending signals to any right thinking leader to think twice next time before coming up with any haste policies.

I admire the courage of those students who stood to defend what is right, if they aren't instigated of course.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by moderattor: 7:01am On Jun 05, 2012
are the students eligible to sue the govt. On a change of institution name?
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by iykak47: 7:55am On Jun 05, 2012
I dont understand why unilag can't be renamed after MKO afterall Havard university was formerly called New College but was later renamed after John Havard,people talk about coca cola brand but they forget to talk about Lever brothers which was later changed to Unilever, biblical Saul changed his name to Paul.
Maulag students should allow Lagosians to have some rest, perhaps some are not eager to graduate and leave the school because of 'runs'. angry
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by ypzilanti: 8:05am On Jun 05, 2012
vanitty:

My apologies, I definitely got it all wrong! What a great way to exercise your 'right'
Police brutality for eons, corruption aplenty on the same MAU corridors but yes, I would rather go to court over name change because dammit I know my rights

Can't blame them much though, when they refuse to graduate after years and years in school, using the 'unilag' name as a source of livelihood, it most probably would start to feel like MAU is the beginning and end of their life hence the pain they are going through right now.
What a joke.

I cannot believe this. Supposedely educated people on Nairaland challenging Nigerians that are agrieved by what they view as a president over reaching his constititional powers in court. Is it not then left for the court to either rule for or against them? Are his powers infinite? Should the president have the power to change your surname to Ebele Jonathan? Abeg shut up and let the courts decide this one.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Basic(m): 8:07am On Jun 05, 2012
OK/2/NV:
Hieght of stoopidity.

UNIBEN students during IBB's rule initiated the "IBB MUST GO" riots, which was an eye opener to Babangida leading him to seriously consider conducting elections, which he did.

These idioots are complaining about the loss of swagg and saying sh1t about brand name where it is obvious that there is nothing cool about your rubbish school. Where does UNILAG rank amongst African Universities? What research contribution has the world benefited from your glorified secondary school?

Why would you not call it such after you tried gaining admission into the school 8 times, but you were too dull to be admitted in there?
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by mabcos: 8:14am On Jun 05, 2012
salaksmana: Who employed the judge? This is Nigeria they should learn to live with that, the last time I checked Unilag's name wasn't the 1st to be change, the name changes nothing so it shouldn't cause any wahala now. They're embarking on a WILD GOOSE CHASE
That was in militatry. Just wake up for once! this is Democracy.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by opee1231(f): 8:14am On Jun 05, 2012
...this people are just wasting their time and money...the man that will pass the judgement, has he not being in the country n hearing all dts going on? this pple should better go n sit down n read their books...cus they can't win d case nor be lie..they will get use to it as time go on!
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by werepeLeri: 8:15am On Jun 05, 2012
Now they are following "due process" abi? Who told them going to the streets was "due process" in the first instance? Silly goats. I attended UNILAG, and who gives a damn if my ex school is now MAU? I dont. If you dont like the new name, change school. Period.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Demdem(m): 8:23am On Jun 05, 2012

to early for u to conclude. There are numerous instances where the FG lost his arguments in the law court. this may simply be one of such. i like the initiative of the students and its a welkom development in our democratic stage instead of taking the laws into their hands.
Let the court decide and the decision will be binding for all parties.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by OK2NV3: 8:23am On Jun 05, 2012
Basic:
Why would you not call it such after you tried gaining admission into the school 8 times, but you were too dull to be admitted in there?
I get ur time

Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by phemi01(m): 8:25am On Jun 05, 2012
It's funny how a lot of nigerians allow sentiments to influence their judgement. The fact that you bear so much grudge against the school doesn't mean u shouldn't stand for what is right. I'm really surprised a lot of ppl are saying the school belongs to the federal govt and I wonder if they understand what GOVT means. Unilag is controlled by the GOVT(federal) and the govt comprises every nigerian as a leader cannot exist without the people. Hence Nigerians have a say in whatever affects them.
This particular GOVT displays so much power and a lot of us just seat back and think they own everything. That's why they succeeded in the fuel subsidy removal despite the corruption perpetrated. your leader(ruler) takes decisions one his own without considering how it affects the people because they know a lot of us are either ignorant or cowards tht can't fight for what's lawfully ours. Nigeria has a long way to go if ppl continue to think everything belongs to the president.
GEJ doesn't own Nigeria, he is there to serve. Whatever is done wrongly should be jointly condemned. We should all fight for what is RIGHT and put sentiments apart. STOP THE UNNECCESARY HATING! Let's learn to do things right.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by iammodel(m): 8:27am On Jun 05, 2012
Just for the record, i guess. I like their courage & boldness. Good way of practising their profession,if u ask me.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by OK2NV3: 8:31am On Jun 05, 2012
phemi01: It's funny how a lot of nigerians allow sentiments to influence their judgement. The fact that you bear so much grudge against the school doesn't mean u shouldn't stand for what is right. I'm really surprised a lot of ppl are saying the school belongs to the federal govt and I wonder if they understand what GOVT means. Unilag is controlled by the GOVT(federal) and the govt comprises every nigerian as a leader cannot exist without the people. Hence Nigerians have a say in whatever affects them.
This particular GOVT displays so much power and a lot of us just seat back and think they own everything. That's why they succeeded in the fuel subsidy removal despite the corruption perpetrated. your leader(ruler) takes decisions one his own without considering how it affects the people because they know a lot of us are either ignorant or cowards tht can't fight for what's lawfully ours. Nigeria has a long way to go if ppl continue to think everything belongs to the president.
GEJ doesn't own Nigeria, he is there to serve. Whatever is done wrongly should be jointly condemned. We should all fight for what is RIGHT and put sentiments apart. STOP THE UNNECCESARY HATING! Let's learn to do things right.

what grudge?

most people like myself who are against the protest see it as a pure waste of time.
the individuals protesting would never had been consulted if so-called due process was carried out.
and by the way renaming is not about re branding rather it was in remembrance of Abiola.
if the president had involved the National Assembly it would only be for symbolic ratification and for purpose of gazzetting.

Re-branding is not equal to re naming.

the school modus operandi remain the same.

the students are for SWAGGA CONTINUA period!
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by ypzilanti: 8:37am On Jun 05, 2012
werepeLeri: Now they are following "due process" abi? Who told them going to the streets was "due process" in the first instance? Silly goats. I attended UNILAG, and who gives a damn if my ex school is now MAU? I dont. If you dont like the new name, change school. Period.

Please just turn around and let your azz get phukked by the President. You claim to be educated and do not know that you have the right enshrined in your consitution to protest against your government.
It does not matter what you pretest about, so long as it is your opinion and you do it peacefully. Democracy means accomodating other peoples point of view even if it does not correspond with yours. You can disagree, as you have just done, but you cannot deny them the right to their opinion and decision to challnge it lawfully.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by tessyade: 8:41am On Jun 05, 2012
This is a better approach to the issue at stake instead of disturbing public peace at third mainland bridge in the name of protest. Anyway lets see how things go.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by werepeLeri: 8:41am On Jun 05, 2012
ypzilanti:

Please just turn around and let your azz get phukked by the President. You claim to be educated and do not know that you have the right enshrined in your consitution to protest against your government.
It does not matter what you pretest about, so long as it is your opinion and you do it peacefully. Democracy means accomodating other peoples point of view even if it does not correspond with yours[i][/i]. You can disagree, as you have just done, but you cannot deny them the right to their opinion and decision to challnge it lawfully.

The bolded answers your vituperations. Stop foaming in the mouth.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Demdem(m): 8:45am On Jun 05, 2012
werepeLeri: Now they are following "due process" abi? Who told them going to the streets was "due process" in the first instance? Silly goats. I attended UNILAG, and who gives a damn if my ex school is now MAU? I dont. If you dont like the new name, change school. Period.

I never knew protesting is no longer allowed undecided undecided
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Nobody: 8:47am On Jun 05, 2012
080ict.com:
i wonder what mr president is doing in that sit by allow his god fathers and advicers to control him. THINK TWICE
Are you a maluite? Guy, watch ya girama. This is nairaland and guys have zero tolerance for not good enough yinglish.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Akieagle: 8:48am On Jun 05, 2012
Those former unilag stds are not serious.taking fg to court is like taking the owner of the university to court
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by genxris: 8:53am On Jun 05, 2012
Will d change of name affect d MAUL graduands in d labour market negatively ? OR will it affect the quality of education already in the skol to depriciate?
It's funny that these kids don't really knw what they want by protesting because most of them where very little or not yet born as at 1993 when M.K.O Abiola played a major character in Naija democratic journey.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by noblegirl54yah(f): 8:53am On Jun 05, 2012
Demdem:
u dont give a damn does not mean others dont mind. What a shame dat u were once a student of unilag.
I never knew protesting is no longer allowed undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

IPPIS Double Salary Error In University Of Maiduguri / Top 11 Best School Of Nursing In Nigeria 2016 / NANS Calls For ITF Probe And Immediate Payment Of Siwes Allowance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.