Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,873 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? - NYSC (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? (28042 Views)

8 Things You Must Do Before Concluding Your NYSC Programme / How To Verify Your NYSC 2016 Batch A Senate List / Your NYSC Questions Answered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Lawalemi(m): 9:17pm On Jun 06, 2012
2004. Silame Local Government, Sokoto State
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by nitrogen(m): 9:27pm On Jun 06, 2012
2012/2013 batch B, ogun state govt house. grin grin grin grin
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by dayokanu(m): 10:13pm On Jun 06, 2012
Raxxye:

It was fun. I was almost fluent in Yoruba in less than a year. Food prices were relatively cheap, especially tomatoes and fruits, which made us eat so much rice and stew. But the climate was too cold for me, making made me fall ill frequently. I‘m still in touch with some of the friends(girls) who are indigenes of the town!

One of my uncles graduated from Awe High School in the early 90's

1991 exactly So thats why I was asking
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Irunmole(m): 10:25pm On Jun 06, 2012
meetmeonline:

This is so inspiring, it reminds me of the need to working harder to rather saw myself in front and not telling stories of how I lived in the same street with Dangote.

Not trying to say you wasted your years but to reaffirm the obligation in me that I MUST NOT TELL THE STORY BUT BE THE GOOD STORY!

@meetmeonli
You're too shallow for me to start exchanging words with. In life, some will tell the story and some will be the story.I am comfortable in my own way, those fellow corpers of mine that I mentioned in my post are comfortable in their own different way, "different strokes for different folks". They achieved whatever they achieved, and I am proud of my own achievements in my own modest way. I could barely make sense of what you wrote, it reminds me of the jumbled writings of a low IQ chimp. There's a Yoruba adage that says, "omo ti oni baba oun ola, enu e ni oun na wa". What have you achieved so far in your lowly miserable life you fool.
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by dayokanu(m): 10:31pm On Jun 06, 2012
Raxxye:

Oya, talk ya own experience!

I had fun in my year there because I deliberately ignored the corpers, A lot of we Southern corpers came with egos that we were better than them and we wont associate with Hausas, me I was different.

I mixed with the student I would even chill with them in the hostel till it was dark after midnight. I made friends with them, I would attend their Social nights, There were older guys among them even older than me I would buy them food and cigarette.

One day I was flogging my students for truancy and after whipping them, I asked one of them why he was absent, he told me his family didnt have food at home, I just freed him upon learning he was married with children.

One of the students was a chief in his Village.

Several years after NYSC they would still call me and tell me about the progress in their education.

When all the corpers were attending Redeemed , I went to join ECWA even though I didnt understand Hausa.
When the congregation knew I was a corper and didnt understand Hausa, they showered me with love including those sumptuous Cerwa girls who would bring me food in my quarters. I remember those delicious girls, Azumi, Pollum, Kaltumi, Agnes. Those girls very sweet I tell you

The principal during my time was Shehu Ilyasu very correct man, We were pals because he liked those corper girls and spent a lot of the school allowance on the girls.

There was one man I used to teach his son Alhaji Bisije, even though the man couldnt speak any English he liked me a lot he was the one who introduced me to former Governor of Gombe Habu Hashidu, Who tried to convince me to stay back in Bauchi State
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by odeyinugbolahan(m): 10:37pm On Jun 06, 2012
College of arabic and islamic studies, ankpa, kogi state.
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by odeyinugbolahan(m): 10:38pm On Jun 06, 2012
College of arabic and islamic studies, ankpa, kogi state.2011/2012
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Jarus(m): 10:54pm On Jun 06, 2012
Lawalemi: 2004. Silame Local Government, Sokoto State
Do you know Tangaza, on your way to Silame?
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by electrowale: 11:04pm On Jun 06, 2012
I did mine at Yobe state 2009/2010(Tandro systems limited. Damaturu Yobe state).
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Jarus(m): 11:09pm On Jun 06, 2012
2007/2008. Sokoto
Too eventful to narrate in full, but let me just list the events/places/people

FARFARU CAMP
Stayed in camp mosque thruout camping period, only went for parade once

Sun so scorching that I forwent my food many afternoons because I can't enter the go to kitchen under that sun

Hardly wore camp uniforms, put on my buba and strolled to town almost everyday

Only activity participated in was cheering my platoon 3 football team in matches

Didn't go for endurance trek; wanted to go actually but developed headache the night before

Always in the midst of boys arguing(most of those guys are still my friends till today)

Remember one guy asking me the day camp closed: this guy, and you will say you also came to camp?(Referring to my indifference to camp activities thruout)
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Jarus(m): 11:18pm On Jun 06, 2012
Posted to Rabah, 30 mins drive from Sokoto township

Spent 3 days there

Was given accomodation, corpers lodge 2(the guest house built by Sardauna himself). Rabah was Ahmadu Bello home village.

Hardly network. You will practically climb a tree b4 u have faint glo reception

Ran back to town after 3 days. But did show up Mondays and pass a night or 2 every week.

Had running problem with my principal

Made a number of friends, corpers(Kola, Goke, Kalu, etc) and indigenes(Jamilu, mallam Hassan, Jamilu2 etc)

Entered state govt yawa wen I wrote an article criticizing Gov, and I was flung to another LG, Balle, 2 hours from Sokoto town, few miles from Niger republic
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Jarus(m): 11:35pm On Jun 06, 2012
My yawa saw me daily reporting @ state NYSC secretariat, Kalambaina, for 2 weeks

Had series of meetings/quizzes/drills with panels, state nysc exco, sss, etc b4 finally meeting with state commissioner for education.

Later reposted to Balle/Gudu as a punitive,protective and reoccurrence-preventive measure

Resumed Balle, met the principal, who initially shakara that he will reject me because I can write petition against him as I did against the governor.

I promised to be a good corper and I resumed. I was taking PHE in Rabah, now Maths in Balle. Balle pupils were more brilliant, so I was encouraged more, compared with the discouraging dullards of Rabah.

Always having issue with principal around stay in Balle. I told him I can't stay there Mon-fri, cos no network, no good water, no good food. He once threatened to report me to nysc secretariat at sokoto town

We later became friends sha, very nice man, actually. Sometimes, we reclined together on mats under the tree(school principal o) and yarn about Lagos, about his life etc. The man fear Lagos, he said he had only been there once.

Hardly attended any CD. Wetin concern me with CD

Got one Abeokuta woman selling Yoruba foods, that's where you find me every morning and afternoon

Corper colleagues in Balle included Moses, Rose, Kanu etc

Played football match: police vs corpers as part of sendforth. Top-strike for corpers team, but fired blank. Ended goalless
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Jarus(m): 11:52pm On Jun 06, 2012
All the above were within my 2-3 days-a-week stay in these PPA villages. I actually stayed in Sokoto metropolis for 80% of my service period. In fact, after getting comfortable with my principals and NYSC Area Inspectors(Kabiru in Rabah and Sanusi in Gudu - we still talk till today) I don't show up in these vilages in 3 consecutive weeks sometimes.

I was initially staying in MCAN lodge, Sheikh Gunmi college, miyetti Allah area of Sokoto, later moved to Old Airport/Offa road.

Spend mornings @ vendors stand, either that of govt house rd or Bello way r/about(most).

Spend afternoons reading for my ICAN @ City (medical students)campus. Mixed with their students and still get in touch till today.

Early evening playing table tennis @ Sahara hostel road, or in cybercafe surfing Nairaland, or at DAM restaurant

7-10pm @ Daddy smart recreation centre, meeting with other corpers and bankers, yapping, gisting, playing table tennis, suyaing, zoboing, kunuing, watching football

I can't forget Yakoyo amala spot @ Emir Yahaya junction

It was an adventurous one year I will never forget in my life

PS: I joined NL in service year in Sokoto.

1 Like

Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by MAKAS4REAL(f): 12:11am On Jun 07, 2012
Progressive sec. Sch. Tede, Atisbo LGA. OYO STATE. 2008/2009 batch B
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by angiemartinez(f): 3:32am On Jun 07, 2012
Smoj: GSS Yaryasa, Tudun-Wada LGA, kano State. 08/09, 1st batch C
wa o, werE u @ white or green lodge? I stayd in mega lodge.
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Raxxye(m): 10:05am On Jun 07, 2012
@Jarus. Impressive! U really had a time of ur life! But I hear in Sokoto the sun does not set, but continues till midnight with all its heat and glare!(lol), plus flies perching on ur mouth,eyes,nose,etc. Wonder how u guys coped!
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by onyebaba(m): 11:45am On Jun 07, 2012
Labyboy: [color=#000099][/color] Government Technical College.. PATIGI, kwara state..
2010/11... It was so much fun with the nupe tribe by the river-niger..
wat batch pls?
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by onyebaba(m): 11:48am On Jun 07, 2012
Labyboy:

@onye... I also served in Patigi 2010/11 batch A..
..and i dont think patigi is that bad... Cos i enjoyed the place and love passing in front of the emir palace oo...lol
Na waoh u hear me say e bad?
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by olawalebabs(m): 1:14pm On Jun 07, 2012
Noany ondo kopa yet?
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Beync(f): 1:24pm On Jun 07, 2012
meetgaya:
YEA! ADO-EKITI 2007/2008 BATCH A
wow corper mate, nice to meet u. Where did u serve in Ekiti?
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by jamace(m): 3:15pm On Jun 07, 2012
Corpers shun! AJU-WAYA!!! grin grin
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Jarus(m): 3:49pm On Jun 07, 2012
Raxxye: @Jarus. Impressive! U really had a time of ur life! But I hear in Sokoto the sun does not set, but continues till midnight with all its heat and glare!(lol), plus flies perching on ur mouth,eyes,nose,etc. Wonder how u guys coped!

Sun set actually, but the heat continued even after sunset. I mentioned up there how I skipped camp lunch because of I dare not trek few metres to the kitchen to pick my food.

Heat was to the extent we slept under trees in open fields on many nights; you dare not sleep inside the room.

Anytime I can't avoid trekking under the sun, I first emptied pure water satchete on my head.

1 Like

Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Ganys: 12:41am On Jun 08, 2012
Irunmole:

@meetmeonli
You're too shallow for me to start exchanging words with. In life, some will tell the story and some will be the story.I am comfortable in my own way, those fellow corpers of mine that I mentioned in my post are comfortable in their own different way, "different strokes for different folks". They achieved whatever they achieved, and I am proud of my own achievements in my own modest way. I could barely make sense of what you wrote, it reminds me of the jumbled writings of a low IQ chimp. There's a Yoruba adage that says, "omo ti oni baba oun ola, enu e ni oun na wa". What have you achieved so far in your lowly miserable life you fool.

Haba Daddy, Leave the Pikin na...Na small brain dey worry am....No vex
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Ganys: 1:12am On Jun 08, 2012
Jarus: All the above were within my 2-3 days-a-week stay in these PPA villages. I actually stayed in Sokoto metropolis for 80% of my service period. In fact, after getting comfortable with my principals and NYSC Area Inspectors(Kabiru in Rabah and Sanusi in Gudu - we still talk till today) I don't show up in these vilages in 3 consecutive weeks sometimes.

I was initially staying in MCAN lodge, Sheikh Gunmi college, miyetti Allah area of Sokoto, later moved to Old Airport/Offa road.

Spend mornings @ vendors stand, either that of govt house rd or Bello way r/about(most).

Spend afternoons reading for my ICAN @ City (medical students)campus. Mixed with their students and still get in touch till today.

Early evening playing table tennis @ Sahara hostel road, or in cybercafe surfing Nairaland, or at DAM restaurant

7-10pm @ Daddy smart recreation centre, meeting with other corpers and bankers, yapping, gisting, playing table tennis, suyaing, zoboing, kunuing, watching football

I can't forget Yakoyo amala spot @ Emir Yahaya junction

It was an adventurous one year I will never forget in my life

PS: I joined NL in service year in Sokoto.
Guy, You are making me to miss sokoto again ooooh, i remember the first bike i bought there, It was terrible. I escaped death more than 3 times. Imagine a 10yrs old igbo boy taught me how to ride bike. I learnt it for just 10 minutes and the rest was history. I remember Yoruba people at mabera calling me BABA OLOWO, and Calling My Bike OLA NI IYONU.
The bike was used one.I bought bought it around N28,000. I even customized the plate number as OTONDO CORPER lol, It was an unforgetable times in my life...OMG!!!! I wish i could turn the hands of time.
As Jarus was doing his ICAN programme, i was doing My Post Graduate diploma in Education at COE sokoto, its affilliated to ABU ZARIA. i met different set of people there. wow, Let me just stop here, i feel like crying, Im missing my people. Oh God... sober sober sober

1 Like

Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Nobody: 8:49am On Jun 09, 2012
Mine was in Jos, Plateau State. 2000/2001, orientation camp at Govt Sec. Schl Zaria Rd. There was this soldier we called 'enwen' I thnk they said that means 'monkey', he used to call us that! The soldier was very jovial, very playful with corpers nd t times he usd t give some food fo thought advice, that was my first time of seen a jovial and happy Nigerian soldier!
Since I finished I hve not been able t leave Jos alone o!
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by snowmint(m): 12:07am On Jun 10, 2012
GHarf, new haven, Enugu. 2011/2012
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by nikkyshyne(f): 7:25pm On Jun 16, 2012
State: JOS, PLATEAU STATE
Year: 2008/2009 : During the crisis. Mhen...I saw hell. But thank God cox I was at the right place at the wrong time though.
PPA: Industrial Training Fund. ITF
smiley
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:19pm On Jun 16, 2012
African Centre For Communication & Environment, Liberty Boulevard, Jos, Plateau State. 2010/2011 Batch C.
It was lovely.
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by 1Dray(m): 12:42am On Jun 17, 2012
Batch B, 2011/2012,
Camped in km 27 Mallam Sidi, Gombe state.
My PPA at Gombe was Hajarat Arabic schools, where I taught Mathematics. It was so annoying trying to get the students learn what you are teaching them all invain. I was forced to teach Mathematics in Hausa against my initial wish. I couldnt but teach them in Hausa to save my effort of imparting knowledge in those Hausa students from being in vain. But even with me teaching them mathematics in Hausa it seem I was wasting my time and effort. I couldnt but apply for relocation and I found myself in the FCT, Abuja. In Abuja, I served wt Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Engineering section. It was such a wonderful experience cos I learnt alot, I am glad I did relocated in the first place.
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by rule(m): 11:15am On Jun 17, 2012
245 recce battalion,nigerian army,Ikom,Cross River State.2004/2005. Had loads of fun then with my homies hmm sweet memory.
Re: Where And When Did You Do Your NYSC? by Azedplus(m): 2:28pm On Jun 17, 2012
2011 Batch B ....Kogi Local Govt ( Koton-Karfi ) Treasury Department, nothing happen there though ... I mean they hardly .G̶̲̥̅☺̣̣̥̇ τ̅☺ office there, I had τ̅☺ fix myself in Community Girls Secondary School. A nice place

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Muslim Group Rejects New NYSC Date For Orientation Due To Ramadan / NYSC 2017 Batch A: Important Changes For Prospective Corp Members / Corps Member Gifted ₦1M For Dance Passion (Pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.