Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,984 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. (9840 Views)

FG Suspends Deduction Of States’ Loans / FG Suspends Permanent Secretary Ministry Of Foreign Affairs / FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by ballabriggs: 9:22pm On Jun 05, 2012
Firstly, it is the way to go when an event like this occurs as Dana seems to be a high risk organisation. However, as Nigeria seems to be a high aviation accident risk country there is a need to give safety utmost priority. International aviation standards as adhered to in Nigeria may not be sufficient given the high likelihood and impact of aviation accidents in Nigeria. It then becomes important that Nigeria must move beyond International standards and make its own standards to suit its own jurisdiction. For example, if the ICAO standards require biannual checks, our standards could make it quarterly given the risk in the industry.

Secondly, enough of regulating how much airlines could charge as fares. As airlines strive to comply with regulations, they tend to incur higher costs of operation. How do they comply when you place limits on chargeable air fares? It is a known fact that air travel in developing countries is more expensive when compared to the developed world. This is because of the high risk and the low income level in these jurisdictions as airlines have a limited scope for growth and the accompanying economies of scale. Any airline that charges 80,000 naira on a return flight in Nigeria has not charged sufficiently.

Thirdly, give protection to whistle blowers. There were a good number of staff who knew something was wrong but could not come out to speak as there was no formal channel and protection given to potential whistle blowers. This is what the unions and the Professionals in the aviation industry should be advocating. Everyone seems interested in making this money whilst ignoring the problems in the system. My Politicians are only making noise because they don't want to die as they fly these coffins daily. We have been shouting over the trucks and trailers on our roads and the havoc they cause but no one seems to be bothered. One is thus forced to ask, would you live till eternity on this wealth you keep accumulating?

If we make our country better, we would all be better off.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by hyman288: 9:24pm On Jun 05, 2012
otokx:

Don't be too sure, some Nigerians do not just care, they will tell you that death can happen anywhere.
. YEYE NAIJA,DOING THINGS IN D SAME OLD WAY.LUK AT D LIKES LEVI,ONWUIRI FORMER VC FUTO AND OTHERS WHO OUT OF ONE LOST THEIR LIFE
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by wallex1983(m): 9:25pm On Jun 05, 2012
I have seen the end of all these. Senate is saying the executive should have worked on preventing it, keeping silent on the fact that they have a duty to perform oversight. They forgot that if they have done their oversight right, it may have been averted.
Federal government (EXECUTIVE) is saying this must be probed because it could have been averted thereby sacking Demuren as though he was the pilot or the engineer working on Dana plane, or perhaps they have not heard or notice Dana aircrafts old-age (at least wen they go to airport). Who will Demuren blame now Dana said this plane was working fine and had flown two times that day. If we must blame the engineer, where is he? Perhaps the pilot should have insisted on not flying wen he noticed the aircraft was not in good order, but where is he today.
In short, I do not know wat to say and do not intend to make sense cos i am disheartened,............But.....
Perhaps "what would be would be........."
But this could have really been averted....
nevertheless, Who are we to blame?
Well, I can see already that this case would be forgotten within the next 7 days again cos our leaders are all shifting responsibilities
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by wandeay: 9:25pm On Jun 05, 2012
they should have done dis 2 years ago if the aviation sector is really functioning, d maximum years for aircraft in Nigeria is 20, nd dis particular one is 22, no doubt, the remainin ones wil be around 23, 24, and 25 years old, and frm what they said, ''the plane had earlier flown to ibadan on saturday, nd flown from lagos to abuja on sunday b4 returning back to lagos", a 22-year old aircraft with this over-work, y wil it not crash, useles leaders
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by drzed: 9:25pm On Jun 05, 2012
ismhab: HOW ABOUT THE 1000 PEOPLE THAT USE TO DIE DAILY ON OUR ROADS, DUE TO LACK OF BAD ROADS AND OVER SPEEDING BY THE DRIVERS, WHEN WILL THEIR LICENSE BE SUSPENDED.

Oga ismhab,
Abeg no vex. But using all caps to type a whole sentence (or even to type a whole word) is the equivalent of shouting in cyber-talk. I am sure you did not mean to yell at everyone here. And please dont take my comment personal o! Just an observation for you to consider.

Cheers smiley

2 Likes

Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 9:27pm On Jun 05, 2012
wallex1983: I have seen the end of all these. [size=14pt]Senate is saying the executive should have worked on preventing it, keeping silent on the fact that they have a duty to perform oversight. They forgot that if they have done their oversight right, it may have been averted.[/size]

Senate needs to make this noise heard by all Nigerians, especially the bats we have on Nairaland quick to conclude that the plane was faulty, and all the other useless news that have been floating around on what really happened.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by EPOMA(m): 9:29pm On Jun 05, 2012
Castos: All Dana technical officials must be put on a plane with bomb onboard with them. They must die by crash.
These are the kind of animal thinking humans that we find writing senseless things here in nairaland and ruling Nigeria.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by ballabriggs: 9:30pm On Jun 05, 2012
^^^
lol abeg leave that man O
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by ypzilanti: 9:31pm On Jun 05, 2012
tunapawizzy: Well a good step at least. Maybe diezani should also step aside for free and unfettered investigation surrounding the oil n gas sector probes too. Bloody hypocritical government. Anyways good one on this

DIEZANI IS BIGGER THAN NIGERIA UNDER PDP GOVERNMENT

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by drzed: 9:33pm On Jun 05, 2012
ballabriggs: Firstly, it is the way to go when an event like this occurs as Dana seems to be a high risk organisation. However, as Nigeria seems to be a high aviation accident risk country there is a need to give safety utmost priority. International aviation standards as adhered to in Nigeria may not be sufficient given the high likelihood and impact of aviation accidents in Nigeria. It then becomes important that Nigeria must move beyond International standards and make its own standards to suit its own jurisdiction. For example, if the ICAO standards require biannual checks, our standards could make it quarterly given the risk in the industry.

Secondly, enough of regulating how much airlines could charge as fares. As airlines strive to comply with regulations, they tend to incur higher costs of operation. How do they comply when you place limits on chargeable air fares? It is a known fact that air travel in developing countries is more expensive when compared to the developed world. This is because of the high risk and the low income level in these jurisdictions as airlines have a limited scope for growth and the accompanying economies of scale. Any airline that charges 80,000 naira on a return flight in Nigeria has not charged sufficiently.

Thirdly, give protection to whistle blowers. There were a good number of staff who knew something was wrong but could not come out to speak as there was no formal channel and protection given to potential whistle blowers. This is what the unions and the Professionals in the aviation industry should be advocating. Everyone seems interested in making this money whilst ignoring the problems in the system. My Politicians are only making noise because they don't want to die as they fly these coffins daily. We have been shouting over the trucks and trailers on our roads and the havoc they cause but no one seems to be bothered. One is thus forced to ask, would you live till eternity on this wealth you keep accumulating?

If we make our country better, we would all be better off.

You have spoken well, my brother. This are the sorts of comments that bring me to Nairaland. Constructive and insightful.
Let us all learn from this mistake by both Dana Air and our corrupt and inept government. Many of us will find ourselves in leadership position one day. I especially applaud your suggestion on protecting whistle-blowers. No democracy can work if there are no checks and balances, and citizens/professionals can play a role by exposing corrupt and evil practices in their places of work.

Once again, well done for your post.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by pek(m): 9:33pm On Jun 05, 2012
ukpaku: Were have u been that u are asking of the reason. Or u no here say there plain clash?
Is this English?
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:33pm On Jun 05, 2012
My Girlfriend work at Ticket Office of Dana at local airport.

I hope this will not hard to my burden?
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jun 05, 2012
ismhab: HOW ABOUT THE 1000 PEOPLE THAT USE TO DIE DAILY ON OUR ROADS, DUE TO LACK OF BAD ROADS AND OVER SPEEDING BY THE DRIVERS, WHEN WILL THEIR LICENSE BE SUSPENDED.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by ZUBY77(m): 9:37pm On Jun 05, 2012
Who cares. They should check other airlines frst.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by BetaThings: 9:38pm On Jun 05, 2012
Kobojunkie: I hope Dana Air sues. What do you mean shutting a business down simply because you want to conduct an investigation. shocked

People are, as always, too quick to jump to conclusions . . . we are not sure of what happened and it is nonsensical to suggest that this is the best the government can do at the moment. We have a ministry of Transportation, and a ministry of Aviation for pete's sake. What were they doing BEFORE this happened?
Sue?
What will Dana be claiming?
It is a corrupt system being fed up with negligent airline
The hands of Dana are not clean. They can NEVER EVER SUE. So much is at stake
What happen to AquaDana, Dana Motors, ParaDana and those injectables business
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Mobowho: 9:41pm On Jun 05, 2012
U travel by road, A tanker will catch fire..by air, plane crashes..u sit in ur house,the plane will come and meet u, u go to church boko haram will attack u,u go by sea,militants will attack,u finally run to ur village,u r kidnapped..! No safe place in naija for people .What. A life
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by ballabriggs: 9:41pm On Jun 05, 2012
drzed:

You have spoken well, my brother. This are the sorts of comments that bring me to Nairaland. Constructive and insightful.
Let us all learn from this mistake by both Dana Air and our corrupt and inept government. Many of us will find ourselves in leadership position one day. I especially applaud your suggestion on protecting whistle-blowers. No democracy can work if there are no checks and balances, and citizens/professionals can play a role by exposing corrupt and evil practices in their places of work.

Once again, well done for your post.

Thank you my brother.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by BetaThings: 9:42pm On Jun 05, 2012
EPOMA:
My guy no worry, tomorrow they will start flying out looking for foreign investment.Lets say Dana took loans to buy planes and invest in Nigeria, h[b]ow will they service their debt[/b].Yet licenses of oil companies that pollutes our land and kill more people than this are never suspended. A lot of Nigerians are so shallow minded just like their government, tomorrow another one will crash and they will be suspended. they should suspend the safety control team not the airline as we do know yet the cause of the crash as everyone is assuming and just yarning.
If this was to be Arik air owned by OBJ and Odili(yes I said it our electricity money), would they be able to suspend their license, common slot in heathrow that was taken from arik , the government fought to bring it back.

Time will will tell but the only thing is that we forget so soon

Please stop talking about debt to a negligent company by a negligent bank
153 people on board, 37 on ground! You are talking about loan. may God never allow that loan to be repaid

Actually I am looking at execution at bar beach!. We need to rid this country of murderers!
That is the only way these criminals will get the message
Nigerians are angry right now. Jonathan cannot afford to make any serious errors on this issue
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 9:43pm On Jun 05, 2012
BetaThings:
Sue?
What will Dana be claiming?
It is a corrupt system being fed up with negligent airline
The hands of Dana are not clean. They can NEVER EVER SUE. So much is at stake
What happen to AquaDana, Dana Motors, ParaDana and those injectables business

Do you have proof of this claim the reason for this accident is corruption in the system? If yes, present it and spare us millions of dollars in so-called investigations to follow a la FG.

Dana has the chance to sue here. No real investigation has been conducted, so it makes no sense to suspend the airline's license. The Company can definitely win this if it does go ahead with it, and I hope it does.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by ismhab(m): 9:44pm On Jun 05, 2012
[quote author=Imanuelle][/quote]
TO ERR IS HUMAN, BUT TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 9:45pm On Jun 05, 2012
ismhab:
TO ERR IS HUMAN, BUT TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE.

This is not about forgiving but using common sense.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jun 05, 2012
Kobojunkie: I hope Dana Air sues. What do you mean shutting a business down simply because you want to conduct an investigation. shocked

People are, as always, too quick to jump to conclusions . . . we are not sure of what happened and it is nonsensical to suggest that this is the best the government can do at the moment. We have a ministry of Transportation, and a ministry of Aviation for pete's sake. What were they doing BEFORE this happened?
You are naive
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jun 05, 2012
I need Indians out of Airspace and out of our telecoms, they are fraudulent in all their dealings, from telecomms to pizza joints.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 9:48pm On Jun 05, 2012
LeoMax: You are naive

Your people!
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by EPOMA(m): 9:52pm On Jun 05, 2012
BetaThings:

Please stop talking about debt to a negligent company by a negligent bank
153 people on board, 37 on ground! You are talking about loan. may God never allow that loan to be repaid

Actually I am looking at execution at bar beach!. We need to rid this country of murderers!
That is the only way these criminals will get the message
Nigerians are angry right now. Jonathan cannot afford to make any serious errors on this issue

I can start naming you the Murderers that i know in the last election
Bloody Hypocrite, who dey upset, I am not.
I am upset that people like allison are still in government
i am upset police and army kill citizens like fouls case close
many more
and I tell you what Nigeria has not seen nothing yet until we change our ways and mindset.this one no be vision, just common sense
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by calabaman(m): 9:54pm On Jun 05, 2012
tuneh: even if the FG didn't suspend their licence, the airline is doomed anyway. Who'd fly with them after this?
U wud be suprised. . .
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by EPOMA(m): 9:54pm On Jun 05, 2012
LeoMax: I need Indians out of Airspace and out of our telecoms, they are fraudulent in all their dealings, from telecomms to pizza joints.
If you can show me one thing successfully own by someone from your state then i will agree with you
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by BetaThings: 9:55pm On Jun 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Do you have proof of this claim the reason for this accident is corruption in the system? If yes, present it and spare us millions of dollars in so-called investigations to follow a la FG.

Dana has the chance to sue here. No real investigation has been conducted, so it makes no sense to suspend the airline's license. The Company can definitely win this if it does go ahead with it, and I hope it does.
Ok. Show me where a private sector company with interests in various sectors has ever sued FGN
If Dana Air sues tomorrow, by Thur, Dana can no longer produce water - NAFDAC will strike
Dana Pharmaceuticals will lose its licence to produce drugs on Friday - Min of Health will suspend that licence
I have ABSOLUTELY no doubt in my mind that Dana will NEVER EVER sue

There are other ways in which the coy can be settled for this make-believe "tough action" by the FGN
Nigerians are baying for blood. Jonathan has to give something

Remember this?

Join me now as we begin the journey of transforming Nigeria.

· I will continue to fight, for your future, because I am one of you.

· I will continue to fight, for improved medical care for all our citizens.

· I will continue to fight for all citizens to have access to first class education.

· I will continue to fight for electricity to be available to all our citizens.

· I will continue to fight for an efficient and affordable public transport system for all our people.

· I will continue to fight for jobs to be created through productive partnerships.

37. You have trusted me with your mandate,and I will never, never let you down.

38. I know your pain, because I have been there. Look beyond the hardship you have endured. See a new beginning;a new direction;a new spirit.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/over-40-heads-of-state-witness-jonathans-inauguration-amid-tight-security/
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 9:55pm On Jun 05, 2012
wandeay: they should have done dis 2 years ago if the aviation sector is really functioning, d maximum years for aircraft in Nigeria is 20, nd dis particular one is 22, no doubt, the remainin ones wil be around 23, 24, and 25 years old, and frm what they said, ''the plane had earlier flown to ibadan on saturday, nd flown from lagos to abuja on sunday b4 returning back to lagos", a 22-year old aircraft with this over-work, y wil it not crash, useles leaders

Are you sure of that maximum?
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 9:57pm On Jun 05, 2012
BetaThings:
Ok. Show me where a private sector company with interests in various sectors has ever sued FGN
If Dana Air sues tomorrow, by Thur, Dana can no longer produce water - NAFDAC will strike
Dana Pharmaceuticals will lose its licence to produce drugs on Friday - Min of Health will suspend that licence
I have ABSOLUTELY no doubt in my mind that Dana will NEVER EVER sue

There are other ways in which the coy can be settled for this make-believe "tough action" by the FGN
Nigerians are baying for blood. Jonathan has to give something

Dude, what are you on about? So because you have not heard of any Nigerian company has done it before, you assume that it could never be done?
Just so you know, it has happened and can happen again.

Please get back to arguing that which you are aware of, and stop dribbling.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 10:06pm On Jun 05, 2012
Make una dey dia dey fire grammar. Dem(gofmant) don open carpet wide already, d next thing na to land broom for dis whole Dana matter sweep am enter under, dust dem hand. And looting goes on.
See as gofmant wan use sledge hammer kill fly wen perch for blokos. Wan use fuel quench fire.
People wey i dey pity na Dana staff wey go loose dia job becos of Dana oga dem and gofmant callousness. God don bless d dead already, but must we turn d living to "living dead" by taking away dia means of livelihood?
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by BetaThings: 10:10pm On Jun 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Dude, what are you on about? So because you have not heard of any Nigerian company has done it before, you assume that it could never be done?
Just so you know, it has happened before and can happen again.

Please get back to arguing that which you are aware of, and stop dribbling.
You may think I am dribbling, but the Nigerian system is different from what you have in the US
No big company can dare the FG. Many US companies can speak out against the Obama administration

You are not Dana's lawyer, I am sure
Otherwise I would dare you to advise them to do take FGN to court and you will see their reaction
If Dana as much as files any papers in court over this, I owe you

Let me remind you
A few years ago, when CBN was penalising banks for roundtripping, both FSB (now merged with fidelity) and Diamond bank took CBN to court
2 years later they went to the Bankers Committee to help them beg CBN to let them settle the matter out of court
My challenge stands - if Dana sues I owe you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jang Submits Nomination Form, I Will Put An End To The Killings / 4 Reasons Nigerians Cannot Afford To Have Atiku In Aso Rock – Tonye Barcanista / Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.