Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,861 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles (6027 Views)

Omosede Igbinedion Empowers Women With Sewing Machines & Cash - Photos / Boko Haram Recruiting Youths With Loans – Nigerian Army / Oritsejafor Donates Cars, Tricycles To The Less Priviledged (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by emindu: 10:17am On Jun 07, 2012
Abia State government has provided 500 tricycles to be given out free to indigent youths in the 17 local government areas of the state. Each local government would get 50 tricycles.

The gesture is in line with the youth empowerment programme of the state, which has engaged 4,500 youths in the local government.

Governor Theodore Orji, while inaugurating the tricycles, urged the transition committee chairmen of the local governments to ensure that the items get to the real beneficiaries. According to Orji, the tricycles should be given to those who need them and not those already empowered.

To ensure that the items are well distributed, Orji advised that it should be distributed at ward level through the local government areas and urged Transition Committee Chairmen of the local government areas of the state to liaise with traditional rulers of various communities in their localities, party executives at ward levels, market women and youth groups to ensure that the targeted group is captured.

Orji noted that from the distribution of tricycles that the state would advance to the distribution of vehicles, which according to him is his plan for the state.

“My wish is for Abia State to advance in all sectors of the economy-advancement of people, advancement of self and advancement in everything,” he said.

According to him, the present administration in the state is sincere and cares for the people, every person would be carried along by government so that they would have a sense of belonging and give out their best to the development of the state.

Emma Nwabuko, commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, described the occasion as another milestone by the present administration in the state to uplift the standard of living of the people, especially the youth.

According to him, the occasion is unique, because the leaders of tomorrow and strength of the society are benefiting from government.

Recall that the first phase of the Abia State youth empowerment scheme, geared toward eradicating poverty and crime in the society was launched in Aba, the commercial hub of the state recently.

Four youth groups, namely Aladinma, Columbia Youth Movement, Down Bellow and York City Youths and 20 other individuals benefited from the progrmmme, which kicked-off with Aba North and South Local Government Areas of the state.

The four youth groups were each presented with a commercial bus, while each of the 20 individuals got a tricycle (keke) to start transport business.

The scheme, which would be replicated in all the 17 Local Government Areas of the state, would also offer skills acquisition and scholarships to youths in the state.

Chinedum Orji, chairman, Abia Youth Council, the initiator of the scheme, affirmed that he intends to engage the youth in productive activities that would take them off crime.

He observed that youth engage in crime due to lack of livelihood and urged political office holders to invest in the youth and women, especially widows.

According to Orji, youth empowerment, would not only reduce crime in the society, but would also engender economic development.

He urged the youth to stay out of trouble and utilise the opportunity provided by the programme to better their lives as well as contribute to the economic development of the state and country.

“We started from Aba, because of its importance as the economic base of the state and that is also why Governor Theodore Orji is trying to restore infrastructure in the area,” he affirmed.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/city-file/city-file/39097-abia-empowers-500-youths-with-free-tricycles
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by Bawss1(m): 10:31am On Jun 07, 2012
I wonder how effective this new trend (of providing tricycles today, yesterday it was umbrellas, tomorrow it will be face caps) is in bringing about sustainable development in Abia. I suspect that T.A Orji has no real idea how to develop the state and I suggest he takes a leaf out of Lagos state initiatives since he is bereft of ideas.

1 Like

Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:49am On Jun 07, 2012
Chei!!! My Abian brothers and sisters don suffer no be small. That man is turning that state into one of poorly constructed roads, keke na peps, and low levels of expectation all round.

I AM YET TO SEE [/b]any world-class/well-built road or construction like you can see in Lagos, Rivers or Akwa Ibom. I do understand that their revenue profile is not as robust as the above mentioned states, but this is [b]ABIA we are talking about for crying out loud!!!: the home of a bustling commercial/industrial city, and a supposedly oil producing state to boot undecided.

I watched AIT news yesterday, and saw the launch by the Governor of a pathetic poorly constructed road in Umuahia, which -in my estimation- could only pass for a glorified 'APIAN WAY'. I was not impressed angry.

Ndiabia need to brace themselves for 3 more years of this shi/t, after which i'm sure they would have come to their senses and then seek out/elect a young 'digital' Governor that has the capacity to take them to where they ought to be in Nigeria: top 4 most viable states.

1 Like

Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by Ejine(m): 11:03am On Jun 07, 2012
Abia don carry last! grin grin

That's not to say I'm making fun of them, as my homestate isn't faring any better. undecided
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:05am On Jun 07, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viV8N1v_BIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHI-z1Gx0-U

Check out the quality of work done on these two projects above. The first one shows (amongst other 'projects') a poorly rehabilitated canal (or something ). If i were in charge, i would have widened it to take small boats to have a fun/second means of transportation in the City, and also beautified the verges with well maintained grass and shrubs. The second video is a typical example of how not to construct a township road: no sidewalks, no drainage (that road can't last 3 years), no street lights, no trees, no road markings; just a village footpath where a pedestrian would have to battle for right of way with crazy Nigerian drivers.

So annoying angry.

2 Likes

Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by Nobody: 11:26am On Jun 07, 2012

smile son, you're empowered lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

6 Likes

Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by emindu: 11:53am On Jun 07, 2012
The New 2x40MVA, 132/33KV Transmission substation, and the 132KV DC Transmission line in Umuahia was commissioned today. Interesting to know that our Artisans, SMEs, Residents & other business owners are rejoicing. The Federal Govt built and the State evacuated...
We are making progress in Abia. To God be the glory!

Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by emindu: 12:08pm On Jun 07, 2012
These are Ameke, Isiadu, Ahieke and Mbom Women/Men of Ibeku expressing their joy through natural gifts from farmland to Gov TA Orji. I understand the Government under Gov TA Orji built their roads, Bridge and checked the threatening erosion in their area. They vowed to remain eternally grateful the government.

Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by OLUABIA: 12:54pm On Jun 07, 2012
AS I WAS SAYING....Governor T.A ORJI of Abia state, is TRI-CYCLE the best empowerment to Abia Youths? Is that the best Business plan you have for them? Then as we kept Telling the world, YOU HAVE NO VISION for the people. Instead of forward looking to engaging in industrial revolution , you are distributing TRI-CYCLE like your son IKUKU who doled out Buses to downbelow guys who will accompany you in your false pretense of performance. Abia state is being run at your excellency's convenience and it is unacceptable. Good Governance is not measured by the level of deceitful acts including your recent media project of being heard local and national. None has asked you how much Abia money you have spent in DOLLING OUT LIES to Abians, nay Nigeria. Nwayo, softly, softly..CHIKENAL
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by KnowAll(m): 1:08pm On Jun 07, 2012
i hate those tricycles, they reek of poverty!

2 Likes

Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by mcevans1(m): 2:21pm On Jun 07, 2012
KnowAll:
i hate those tricycles, they reek of poverty!

Seconded.
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by Bawss1(m): 2:30pm On Jun 07, 2012
Soon they'll give out skateboards as another form of empowerment.

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsUOnHj-Bs5BexYE6g78VsP4Mf8aOtIAqT-zmznZHP8uSnvMzmyQ[/img]

1 Like

Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by philip0906(m): 2:32pm On Jun 07, 2012
Oh dear. . .my state has joined d number of states who buy keke napep and give young able bodied men(some who might even be grads) and call it "youth empowerment" ? chai. . .
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by jmoore(m): 2:38pm On Jun 07, 2012
He should come and build umuode road at the back of ariaria market
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by Tyche(m): 2:42pm On Jun 07, 2012
Youth Empowerment indeed ...
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by Donmeca(m): 2:43pm On Jun 07, 2012
Is this what u call empowerment? To me its not! Thank u
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by emsquare(m): 2:48pm On Jun 07, 2012
Okay ooo!
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jun 07, 2012
how much is trycicle? Multiply it by 500. Orji should be ashamed of himself. All the trillions allocated to the state and he celebrates this !!!!!!! What a shame
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by Demdem(m): 2:54pm On Jun 07, 2012
Does the governor has a marriageable daughter? Will he allow such to marry any of the 500 he has just empowered? What an arrsehole.

1 Like

Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by Fhemmmy: 2:57pm On Jun 07, 2012
Bawss1: Soon they'll give out skateboards as another form of empowerment.

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsUOnHj-Bs5BexYE6g78VsP4Mf8aOtIAqT-zmznZHP8uSnvMzmyQ[/img]

You wicked small oh
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by ballabriggs: 3:01pm On Jun 07, 2012
This type of empowerment should be given to his consultant doctor at Okija and not the youths of Abia.
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by DaMayor1: 3:02pm On Jun 07, 2012
Ordinarily I would ignore such, but did i just read "TRICYCLE" for youth empowerment?? in the 21st century? If given an opportunity, i would buy it all and burn them in front of his office. Tricycle for all the billions he has flushed down the drains with nothing to show for in 8years. This is the last straw for this guy where im concerned. He actually went to commission "TRICYCLE"!!!!and had the audacity to still caution LGA Chairmen on mode of distribution?? like he has given them gold.
In fact vex no gree me talk again. Shame on Abians for accepting this.
Somali citizenship is better than this insult
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by slimchimex(m): 3:04pm On Jun 07, 2012
I think dis man orji is really confused.only God knows hw any billions of naira dey used to purchase dat shit.....nonsense...
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by Ejine(m): 3:16pm On Jun 07, 2012
And you see people saying Uduaghan is Nigeria's Worst Governor, robbing this man of the title he's worked so hard for.
How can you all be so mean to rob Orji of his deserved title and hand it to Uduaghan? How heartless are you all? cry cry cry

How can you all marginalize Orji like this? cry cry
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by kioboy(m): 3:28pm On Jun 07, 2012
@emindu. U are a bloody fool and one of those tout dat wash chinedu pants in other to eat. Hw can u even mentioned ma village (mbom) dat dat good for nothing governor hv constructed our road? While erosion hv eaten off d amuzukwu-mbom road. Infact in d whole of afarata there is no government project or presence. TA orji is a bloody thief and a disgrace to ibeku nation. One day his nemesis wil caught up wit him. Let him continue to buy all d houses in umuahia, one day ma children wil buy them from his lunatic chinedu or dat his imbecide son in d future. Fools
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by DaMayor1: 3:35pm On Jun 07, 2012
kioboy: @emindu. U are a bloody fool and one of those tout dat wash chinedu pants in other to eat. Hw can u even mentioned ma village (mbom) dat dat good for nothing governor hv constructed our road? While erosion hv eaten off d amuzukwu-mbom road. Infact in d whole of afarata there is no government project or presence. TA orji is a bloody thief and a disgrace to ibeku nation. One day his nemesis wil caught up wit him. Let him continue to buy all d houses in umuahia, one day ma children wil buy them from his lunatic chinedu or dat his imbecide son in d future. Fools

I can understand your frustration at the Emindu person for such blatant lies, but i caution we concentrate on the situation and not the individual. No doubt the T.A man is a monumental failure who will get his reward in due course.
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by Effwazobia: 3:36pm On Jun 07, 2012
@OP, I know you did not anticipate the type of negative responses/post from nairalanders. Obed Asiegbu, don't that tell you that everybody can see through all your fakeness and bullshit. Be careful so you don't burn in hell for all your fake praises. People are dying everyday because of the neglect from this adminstration. You know damn well that your man is not doing jack in Abia state. Even the power plant project pic you are showing us is being run by the feds. Thanks nairalanders for keeping it real. Obed, may the good lord have mercy on you evil soul
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by ziccoit: 3:39pm On Jun 07, 2012
Who are the benefactors? Are they not the political associates including their praise singers?
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by omosexy1: 3:46pm On Jun 07, 2012
This news bring nothing but tears to my eyes. Clearly our politicians are not visionaries. Maybe Theodore Orji may have the passion to empower Abians but he lacks the vision. His perception of empowerment is to buy tricycles and donate it free to the youth. Like the adage "you cannot give what you dont have". The same applies to all our politicians, take a look at them, from Local Government to the President. What do they know about Governance? Do they have an objective? Do they have a working plan? Are they sticking to their plan? It is funny, when a Governor repairs a road, people begin to hail him that he is doing a good job, he donates tricycles to the youth and calls it empowerment. These are nothing but mediocre performance without initiatives.

I want to use Fashola as a case study because a lot of people claim he is an active working Governor.

Housing:- How will you rate Fashola on this? Is there any plan to ensure that owing a house in Lagos is possible. Millions of Lagosians pay through their noses as rent to have a shelter over their roof. Thousands lives in unhabitable areas and under bridges. This is a peculiar problem yet unsolved

Water Supply: - There is no centralized water system in Lagos. I dont think I have seen any State Water Board in Lagos.

Roads:- While some roads in Lagos are either undergoing repairs or construction, some many roads are still bad, some are instant death traps. Some roads have even being ignored. I do not know if I should hold the Local Government responsible or the State Government.

Traffic Management:- Lagos is a traffic prone state, this has now become an inherent situation. I was thinking a strategic arm of LASTMA should be developed and proffer solutions to the traffic situation. I must also applaud the governor on the creation of a traffic FM. It shows he is aware of the problem.

Transportation:- The major form of transportation in Lagos is mainly by road and this has contributed to the traffic situation. Once again I must applaud the governor for the on-going construction of the railway in Orile-Badagry expressway and also the Ferry-boats stations (Ikorodu - Victoria Island). However, awareness is needed here and the Lagos lagoon should be highly exploited too.

Job Creation:- I wish I have information on this.

Security:- We thank God that the security situation in Lagos has improved slightly but I believe if Job creation and other infrastructures are handled properly, this area will reduce. I also know that the Governor is strongly campaigning for a state policing system.

Investment:- Well Lagos is a viable state and has positioned itself as the commercial hub of Nigeria. Hence, we cannot actually calculate the percentage of investment the Governor has succeeded to bring into the state.

I believe an assessment like this should be able to assist us ascertain if our Government is working or they are in for the national cake. Lads, I do not claim that Fashola is not working, at least he is better than some of his colleagues. However, what is the performance measure criteria, how do we rate our leaders. I think a perfomance measurement template should be created for them and each of them be rated based on public opinions.

Our leaders should desist from the culture of being dependent on state revenue allocation, as this is a lazy approach to governance. Rather, they should seek to create wealth in the state, internally generate revenue and increase the standard of living of their people (not by tricycles). Where they lack knowledge, they should develop themselves by going for training because you cannot give what you don't have.
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by patrikobi: 4:06pm On Jun 07, 2012
emindu: Abia State government has provided 500 tricycles to be given out free to indigent youths in the 17 local government areas of the state. Each local government would get 50 tricycles.
The gesture is in line with the youth empowerment programme of the state, which has engaged 4,500 youths in the local government.
Governor Theodore Orji, while inaugurating the tricycles, urged the transition committee chairmen of the local governments to ensure that the items get to the real beneficiaries. According to Orji, the tricycles should be given to those who need them and not those already empowered.
To ensure that the items are well distributed, Orji advised that it should be distributed at ward level through the local government areas and urged Transition Committee Chairmen of the local government areas of the state to liaise with traditional rulers of various communities in their localities, party executives at ward levels, market women and youth groups to ensure that the targeted group is captured.
Orji noted that from the distribution of tricycles that the state would advance to the distribution of vehicles, which according to him is his plan for the state.
“My wish is for Abia State to advance in all sectors of the economy-advancement of people, advancement of self and advancement in everything,” he said.
According to him, the present administration in the state is sincere and cares for the people, every person would be carried along by government so that they would have a sense of belonging and give out their best to the development of the state.
Emma Nwabuko, commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, described the occasion as another milestone by the present administration in the state to uplift the standard of living of the people, especially the youth.
According to him, the occasion is unique, because the leaders of tomorrow and strength of the society are benefiting from government.
Recall that the first phase of the Abia State youth empowerment scheme, geared toward eradicating poverty and crime in the society was launched in Aba, the commercial hub of the state recently.
Four youth groups, namely Aladinma, Columbia Youth Movement, Down Bellow and York City Youths and 20 other individuals benefited from the progrmmme, which kicked-off with Aba North and South Local Government Areas of the state.
The four youth groups were each presented with a commercial bus, while each of the 20 individuals got a tricycle (keke) to start transport business.
The scheme, which would be replicated in all the 17 Local Government Areas of the state, would also offer skills acquisition and scholarships to youths in the state.
Chinedum Orji, chairman, Abia Youth Council, the initiator of the scheme, affirmed that he intends to engage the youth in productive activities that would take them off crime.
He observed that youth engage in crime due to lack of livelihood and urged political office holders to invest in the youth and women, especially widows.
According to Orji, youth empowerment, would not only reduce crime in the society, but would also engender economic development.
He urged the youth to stay out of trouble and utilise the opportunity provided by the programme to better their lives as well as contribute to the economic development of the state and country.
“We started from Aba, because of its importance as the economic base of the state and that is also why Governor Theodore Orji is trying to restore infrastructure in the area,” he affirmed.
http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/city-file/city-file/39097-abia-empowers-500-youths-with-free-tricycles
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by ulonnaya21: 4:18pm On Jun 07, 2012
I don't know what some of us are saying. How much do you think that the said Tricycle cost? You don't know abi? Ok. You came out of school, graduate doing nothing. No job and you can not create one because you don't have any special skills in the first place. You are there, in the morning you will say 'yes it's morning' in the evening you will say 'yes it's evening'. Roaming the streets doing virtually nothing.
Anyway, for those of us that are tired of roaming aimlessly, we have decided to take up these tricycles to better our lives. If you have problem with that, it's your business and you will continue to be broke, always begging for money. I am a graduate and through this keke empowerment, men! am living and feeding my family while I have gone back to school to continue my studies doing my Masters programme.
Kudos to the government of Abia state on this tricycle empowerment program.
Re: Abia Empowers 500 Youths With Free Tricycles by DaMayor1: 4:23pm On Jun 07, 2012
ulonnaya21: I don't know what some of us are saying. How much do you think that the said Tricycle cost? You don't know abi? Ok. You came out of school, graduate doing nothing. No job and you can not create one because you don't have any special skills in the first place. You are there, in the morning you will say 'yes it's morning' in the evening you will say 'yes it's evening'. Roaming the streets doing virtually nothing.
Anyway, for those of us that are tired of roaming aimlessly, we have decided to take up these tricycles to better our lives. If you have problem with that, it's your business and you will continue to be broke, always begging for money. I am a graduate and through this keke empowerment, men! am living and feeding my family while I have gone back to school to continue my studies doing my Masters programme.
Kudos to the government of Abia state on this tricycle empowerment program.

I thank God for your life. You are not the first to sell your birthright for a loaf of bread and you will not be the last.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Is The Mall Gov Uduaghan Plans To Build In Warri That Cost $57 Million / GEJ Arrives USA FOR Trumps Inguration / Who Placed Osibanjo In A Dark Room?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.