Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,610 members, 7,827,298 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus (14622 Views)

Voluntary Forum Moderator Needed; If interested, come and apply for it / Forum Moderator Wanted / Vacancy For Forum Moderator. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by mrman2(m): 6:29am On Jun 08, 2012
@my namesake(seun) i am the best man for this kind of job. i am very interested, i won't let you down.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by 080ictcom(f): 6:35am On Jun 08, 2012
i could love to partner with you but i don't have enough time and beside you have to state your payment.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Dondav(m): 6:42am On Jun 08, 2012
Spammers everywhere... I think it's best to advice the entire NL and provide tutorials on how to avoid these spammers.... A moderator might not be the solution ...
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by dabrake(m): 6:43am On Jun 08, 2012
When we have a 24/7 nairalander in the person of killz, why give it to another person?

2 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Nobody: 6:44am On Jun 08, 2012
Hoping to see jobless NLers fistfight for the position.

50,000 applications for one position?

[img]http://rickandron.files./2010/08/popcorn.jpg[/img]
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Nobody: 7:01am On Jun 08, 2012
Please i am interested for this Job,,,,

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Reference(m): 7:07am On Jun 08, 2012
aasog1: No cert as well. But I know a bad advert when posted. I could work for you on the property section....take out bogus adverts that dont have pictures on them.
And sanitize that sector, since the current mod there isnt interested in fixing this. just take a look at the adverts, just lands going for 100mil, not even a picture, or detailed explanation....guess it could use some sanitation, and i think including a registered engineer with a lawyer on the forum would make it perfect. let me know seun.

Or a survey plan for that matter. So fishy. I mean don't these guys feel that a land going for a quarter of a billion in Ikoyi or a mansion in Maitama for a billion doesn't deserve ten minutes with a digital camera.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by semid4lyfe(m): 7:12am On Jun 08, 2012
^^ Not ready to post an epistle but I'm interested
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Bontee: 7:15am On Jun 08, 2012
semid4lyfe: ^^ Not ready to post an epistle but I'm interested

I used to think you to be a mod in the sports section? undecided
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by maclatunji: 7:16am On Jun 08, 2012
I think Seun should empower current moderators to remove spam across board. That in my opinion would be more effective.

7 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Hezzymania(m): 7:16am On Jun 08, 2012
i'm highly interested, jst give me the workload entails of all expected of me and i will not disappoint if i get the job, am also an internet freak, i stay online up to 15hours daily. Thanx
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Reference(m): 7:19am On Jun 08, 2012
Bontee: Can see now that the management is waking up to his duties and hope it will not go the normal previous route of eventually giving it to a friend or someone they know. So is fighting spam not one of the duties of the present mods which we have right now or they are not paid as some of us have been thinking. Nairaland has gotten to a stage that you cannot go too forward anymore without shelling out the money, that was why nairalist failed because money was not spent and they did not seek for help.

I will advice for a different approach in fighting spam and the scope of duties should be expanded. There are other problems like insultivie posts, thread derailment, tribalism etc and i would advice to pick 3 - 5+ people to form a group and be responsible for that. They regular meet online, discuss, develop ideas and strategize how to go about their duties. The duties of all mods should include these duties as well but this people will act as supermods where their sphere of influence covers the entirely breadth of nairaland. Fighting spam on nairaland should not be limited to one person as you would need different ideas and strategies sourced from different people to do that.

Also nairaland should go the route of verified accounts in some sections, asking people who want to place adverts in some certain section to only send the ads to the mods for verification and posting else it will be outright ban for the offender. Let me stop here as all these might not be needed and let those interested in the job posts to see what the reply of seun should be. If you start banning people then there must be a way to force the guests to have an account and motivate everyone to make quality posts.

Take this thread https://www.nairaland.com/956441/top-5-priorities-before-selecting for example, it was a very good topic that was already developing into an intellectual discussion, you have your mods to further push the dimension of the discussion. Then at some point maybe on page two or three then the usual derailment begins and trusts me that's how it will go for a while, those derailers deserve to be warned or banned but nothing is going to happen to them.

D; D; Ehe, se am. Work never start you don change scope. Wetin concern spam with derailment and tribalism. Abeg no go there if you no one kill this site. Na cancer we wan remove, no be amputation we dey find.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by semid4lyfe(m): 7:23am On Jun 08, 2012
Bontee:

I used to think you to be a mod in the sports section? undecided

And so? undecided
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Olaone1: 7:25am On Jun 08, 2012
Seun is ready to share the money(PDP style).

Paid mod? Just give the job to OAM4J. The dude is capable and always online

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by sect(m): 7:30am On Jun 08, 2012
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Bontee: 7:30am On Jun 08, 2012
semid4lyfe:

And so? undecided

No be fight na grin, i just dey think say you get the right already as a mod to fight spam and you only need to send a private email to seun instead of posting here say you want change of duties. I feel seun for done discuss this development with existing moderator already as them get experience already before coming out. I no mean to condemn you as i follow your posts well for local sports section and Nigerian football league thread.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Olaone1: 7:37am On Jun 08, 2012
Bontee:

No be fight na grin, i just dey think say you get the right already as a mod to fight spam and you only need to send a private email to seun instead of posting here say you want change of duties. I feel seun for done discuss this development with existing moderator already as them get experience already before coming out. I no mean to condemn you as i follow your posts well for local sports section and Nigerian football league thread.

Don't mind him jare. grin
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by dadicvila(m): 7:39am On Jun 08, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Are you sure you can pay my salary ota-boy ? grin grin
LOL
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Bontee: 7:47am On Jun 08, 2012
Reference:

D; D; Ehe, se am. Work never start you don change scope. Wetin concern spam with derailment and tribalism. Abeg no go there if you no one kill this site. Na cancer we wan remove, no be amputation we dey find.

Lol no mind me jare but yes all of them dey related as those na the problems we dey face for this forum and without solving them, this board no go get power to leverage on the strengths wey this forum get to provide further value. I no see which value wey tribalism and derailment bring to this forum than traffic, revenue and entertainment for the posters. Make i give you one example wey i notice, nairaland get one of the best advisers and collection of experienced matured people when we talk of relationship and family issues.

If you make the place matured well then you fit extend am to columns or sections for newspapers and magazines wey them go pay nairaland to feature these relationship issues wey them dey solve everyday. How you want take do am if people dey derail topic, fights and insult themselves everyday for thread, the thind dey remove from the quality and reputation of nairaland to provide that kind of service. Relationship and family issues na big topic for africa as a whole so provide value for it and earn your money. Many examples dey but make i stop here and make we leave am to the spam issues.

P:S The main issue be say nairaland no fit turn any section here to paid services because the quality and reputation dey go down everyday.

2 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by gbadexy(m): 7:48am On Jun 08, 2012
dmainboss: @Seun

I am interested in the job and here's my solution:

First the manual way: I will setup a report address or similar (if that doesn't already exist) where users can report spam posts from any section. I will monitor these reports and take appropriate action based on what Nairaland considers as spam. I will do this routine say like every hour or more for all threads with priority given to front page threads.

Based on the above, I will monitor the user names and possibly IPs of offenders and keep a list of such and use that to prioritize future spam considerations. E.g. By keeping the number of times a user has been reported by other users and the number of times a user has been banned, those with higher ban rates can appear in a special cases list. This list can facilitate fast monitoring and filtering of spam.

Next is the automated way: This will require some programming and I would go about it as a project within a specific time frame. I did a spam filter for a cybercafe timer/proxy some years back, so I have real experience with that. I can give more details of that privately.
I will, for example, develop a filter script that will study patterns of spamming and use those patterns to filter the posts and suggest possible spam. These posts can then be reviewed and checked for spam. The script will also be used to do a delayed posts condition for known spammers. With that I mean a situation where a known or suspected spammer's post is delayed for say 10mins or more before it appears on the thread. I have seen this used in many forums, especially those of media organisations. But in this case, the posts will be delayed while a notification is sent to the admin, i.e. me, for consideration and necessary action. This will only apply to "known or suspected spammers" or to posts that are highly suspicious.

These are a few suggestions on how I will handle the spam issue if I get the job.

Regards

Correct guy. You seem to be the first poster to comprehend what the op wanted, which is willingness to d the job and how you plan to go about it.
I
To those asking him how he wants done, if he knows, he probably would not be asking how the potential moderator plans to do it.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by pendusky(m): 7:49am On Jun 08, 2012
I knw much about PHP site like nairaland, am admin in one of these PHP sites, its time consuming, buh if the job would be profitable then i would resign frm ma work! If not i wil vote for the most online person here coz it seems they dnt hav work.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Excelboi(m): 7:50am On Jun 08, 2012
Seun,
As a pioneer member, am ready to take up the job of the moderator for dealing with spammers. Sections such as Business,properties,travel and education have high spam result but will moderate all and most spammers when banned will come out with another new I'd which users with different I'd and similar post will be banned and IP restricted.

(1)8-10 hours is quite sifficient, I can also devote extra unofficial hour(s) were needed. The hours will be divided in hrs: morning,afternoon and Night, with an hour interval.

(2)Also seun, you could play a part in supporting the about to be moderator. From look of things, spammers usually use signature link to promote their spamming activities. I will suggest you limit this by allowing new members unable to put any url link until they have certain post about so as to weed out legit and fake members.

(3)There are two types of spammers, Bot and human, as for the both, I will siuggest you write or engage a programmer to write a software to combat this, and as for human spammers, a report button should be provided for members to report such people and also the moderator will conduct a routine in the specified hrs the way it suit him.
(4)Will stop here, but promise I can do the job efficiently.... Choose wise and not wide!!!

Thanks
MM a.k.a Excelboi

3 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by semid4lyfe(m): 7:51am On Jun 08, 2012
Bontee:

Hmmm. . .no offense taken.

As it is, I've got the power to fight spam in the SPORTS SECTION but it wouldn't be bad if I take it across board and get PAID in the process smiley

Also, the 10-18 hrs online requirement wouldn't be a problem for me as I spend all my office hours online and on weekends even more. . .and not forgetting my hands-on experience? grin

Finally, I first became a moderator (Phone Section) by openly applying for the post when it was advertised so I see no reason why I should make under-G moves now.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Excelboi(m): 7:53am On Jun 08, 2012
sgsltd1: What about the spam bot ,is doing well at least we can not post advert again,click my signature for 2012 break tru
Typical spammer I guess! angry
sgsltd1: What about the spam bot ,is doing well at least we can not post advert again,click my signature for 2012 break tru
Typical spammer I guess!
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by bisobiz: 8:08am On Jun 08, 2012
Mr Seun,I'l do the job for you in a more simple and responsible way. I'll achieve this through feedback mechanism and intensive check.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Bontee: 8:12am On Jun 08, 2012
semid4lyfe:

Hmmm. . .no offense taken.

As it is, I've got the power to fight spam in the SPORTS SECTION but it wouldn't be bad if I take it across board and get PAID in the process smiley

Also, the 10-18 hrs online requirement wouldn't be a problem for me as I spend all my office hours online and on weekends even more. . .and not forgetting my hands-on experience? grin

Finally, I first became a moderator (Phone Section) by openly applying for the post when it was advertised so I see no reason why I should make under-G moves now.

My brother it is difinitely not bad to take it accross board and get paid for it in the process, abi you come nairaland come count posters?. grin U wey done dey mod for 8 years now for free go see this kind situation and keep quiet?, heaven help those who . . . cheesy

You fit the job well and me no get problem with that, i even mentioned your existing experience in my previous post. You suppose pay me for that. cool

Levels done change na, you apply the first one as a civilian and now wey u done join the cabal grin . . . .You no suppose come follow us shout for hia to get more abi you no know how cabals dey run the racket. grin

@Post

I recommend Excelboi, dmainboss and semid4life to get this spam moderation position.

2 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by spartanian(m): 8:30am On Jun 08, 2012
pick me
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by pendusky(m): 8:38am On Jun 08, 2012
@excelboi what do u undastand by pioneer member? I knw nl since 2006, ma email was compromise and i open a new usaname in 2k9, i jst go tru ur profile and diz wat i saw.

Excelboi
Personal text: We the finest don't shout much
Time spent online: 1 month & 2 days

Anyway i would recommend u get d job, coz u seem to explain ur self well! Kudos.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by pendusky(m): 8:46am On Jun 08, 2012

dmainboss: @Seun
I am interested in the job and
here's my solution:
First the manual way: I will
setup a report address or
similar (if that doesn't already exist) where users can report
spam posts from any section. I
will monitor these reports and
take appropriate action based
on what Nairaland considers as
spam. I will do this routine say like every hour or more for all
threads with priority given to
front page threads.
Based on the above, I will
monitor the user names and
possibly IPs of offenders and keep a list of such and use that
to prioritize future spam
considerations. E.g. By keeping
the number of times a user has
been reported by other users
and the number of times a user has been banned, those with
higher ban rates can appear in
a special cases list. This list can
facilitate fast monitoring and
filtering of spam.
Next is the automated way: This will require some
programming and I would go
about it as a project within a
specific time frame. I did a
spam filter for a cybercafe
timer/proxy some years back, so I have real experience with
that. I can give more details of
that privately.
I will, for example, develop a
filter script that will study
patterns of spamming and use those patterns to filter the
posts and suggest possible
spam. These posts can then be
reviewed and checked for
spam. The script will also be
used to do a delayed posts condition for known
spammers. With that I mean a
situation where a known or
suspected spammer's post is
delayed for say 10mins or
more before it appears on the thread. I have seen this used in
many forums, especially those
of media organisations. But in
this case, the posts will be
delayed while a notification is
sent to the admin, i.e. me, for consideration and necessary
action. This will only apply to
"known or suspected
spammers" or to posts that are
highly suspicious.
These are a few suggestions on how I will handle the spam
issue if I get the job.
Regards

Nice, excelboi and u got the job!!
@seun abeg modify post and insert poll.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Nobody: 8:54am On Jun 08, 2012
Superuser:

I think this guy should be interviewed further. Regards
Gbaaaammm! seconded.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Grooming Centre Invite. / I Didn't Cheat On A Job Test Does That Make Me A Fool ? / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.