Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,805 members, 7,827,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus (14623 Views)

Voluntary Forum Moderator Needed; If interested, come and apply for it / Forum Moderator Wanted / Vacancy For Forum Moderator. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by omega25red(m): 2:48pm On Jun 08, 2012
Seun: Hello,

The Nairaland Forum is in need of a paid full-time moderator whose primary duty will be to keep the entire forum free of spam at all times, day & night, regardless of what it takes. The person will be expected to work 8 - 10 hours daily. If you're interested, please indicate your interest on this thread and tell us about how you intend to go about this.

Regards.
I would like to know the parameters of what you consider to be spam? is this a delete all spam and ban the user type of job? is there an appeal process for someone who feels that their post was deleted for the wrong reasons? Does it matter if the applicant is not in your time zone?

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by mrkels(m): 2:51pm On Jun 08, 2012
Just Gimme the job.
I ll deliver.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 08, 2012
Thanks Seun for the offer. Am in if
1. Pay is 120k/mnth

2. U r ready to pay my surfing allowances (25k/mnth)

3. Get me a new laptop every quarter and two different brands of phones bimonthly.

4. Pay me for the fuel l use to go online.

And lest l forgot

5. Get me an HTC One X and SGS3
at your service, my humble self, AZE.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by jereal(m): 5:20pm On Jun 08, 2012
interested... computer science major and internet addict

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by lilkech(m): 5:28pm On Jun 08, 2012

The Nairaland Forum is in need of a paid full-time moderator whose primary duty will be to keep the entire forum free of spam at all times, day & night, regardless of what it takes. The person will be expected to work 8 - 10 hours daily. If you're interested, please indicate your interest on this thread and tell us about how you intend to go about this.

Regards.

seun u nor dey fear abi?

u wan dey delete my ' sperm ' abi ?
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Odunnu: 5:35pm On Jun 08, 2012
denzel2009: Seun pick me please. I have HND in SPAM management from Ibadan Poly.

When SPAMS see me they go into spasm. Can I post my account number for my salary?
buhahahahahahahahaha
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jun 08, 2012
with reference to the advertised position, I hereby indicate my interest.

Although I have not taken any professional exam I am very proficient in C++ and java programming languages. Also, I have had to do some projects with MatLab. This is to show that I have the basics as regards I T and also that I am very trainable.

Thank you.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by zerocool(m): 5:41pm On Jun 08, 2012
What is the work of a moderator?? lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Jarus(m): 5:44pm On Jun 08, 2012
ZUBY77: Nairaland is a big forum. one person can hardly do that job. The job also requires constant monitoring of new registrations especially from flagged IP addresses. it also requires constant monitoring of hot topics since some people posses the habit of posting irrelivant ads in hot topics.
I would have loved to help out free of charge but i dont think i will have the time. I can help out on a single section though.

Best understanding of the job so far.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Jarus(m): 5:49pm On Jun 08, 2012
sgsltd1: What about the spam bot ,is doing well at least we can not post advert again,click my signature for 2012 break tru

See spammer/spam even in anti-spam thread? Lol

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by pufectskin: 5:52pm On Jun 08, 2012
U might wanna employ 2 ppl...one to work at nite and d other at day. It might not be easy for one person to work both day and nite and yet expect quality work. *just a suggestion though*
Meanwhile, u ll have to split d bill in terms of pay (probably pay d nite worker a lil more.

Regards.

2 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Osejie(m): 5:54pm On Jun 08, 2012
Hello Seun,
I am am interested in the position. Though i have no professional IT qualification, i am proficient in the use of computer and internet. Thanks in anticipation of a positive reply.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Emilo(m): 5:59pm On Jun 08, 2012
Abeg where the Seun guy, or is he confuse on who to select?? lipsrsealed
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Kessyy2k4(m): 6:01pm On Jun 08, 2012
@seun. I can regulate abuses of a repeated post or spam. this involves a repost of a long thread. This are the major spams found on the nl forum. I'm familiar wit this spammer and i know hw 2 handle them if i secure the job. Thk u
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Jarus(m): 6:27pm On Jun 08, 2012
ChiiDollars: GET ALL YOU WANT ABOUT MOBILE RicheS@

See spammers paying homage. Na because of you people Seun wan employ janitor.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Lilspicer(f): 6:31pm On Jun 08, 2012
Ur wasting ur money homeboy google spam filter and see the result upload it on ur site spam go reduce to 10% if i dey lie sumone check www .gurubase .com for me pls

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Kockane(m): 7:04pm On Jun 08, 2012
Gimme the job and BEAF will be d first person I'm banning!!! Shege beaf! lipsrsealed
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by freelancenig: 7:08pm On Jun 08, 2012
am always very creative all what i do, i will moderate the spam in a way you have never seen before. count me in
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by brabus(m): 7:13pm On Jun 08, 2012
My own idea of moderation

Being the moderator of a forum like Nairaland means you should be aware of each and every activities
going on inside the forums, who posted today, who replied, which thread is trending, where and what? Who came online? It is a tough job especially on boards like politics, properties, job and sports with high traffic and activities

A moderator needs to be friendly but not over-friendly with members. A moderator is not a demi-god that every one in the forum should listen to, he's not an egocentric person. A moderator is not an oversabi person, he doesn’t do more than expected of him.
A moderator is timely, proactive and punctual. He relieves the admin.

How I plan to moderate

1. What's best, not what's new.

Its all about knowing what people wants. I may delete entire thread that aren't going anywhere. I know this will hurt some feelings but it will substantially raises the quality of the forum.

The idea is to have an interesting forum that serves the content and the readers, not a free-for-all forum for spammers. I'll also be ruthless in deleting contributions with incivilities, rants, and personal commentary on other contributors.

I'll work with the technical team of the forum to setup a filter that will automatically deflect certain trigger words.

2. Pre-moderated Topics

I'll like to program in pre-approval only on sensitive topics. This means all comments posted on such topics are reviewed by the moderator before going live.

3. Ban Spammers. Ban their IPs

Time-limited punishments for people not willing to follow the rules. Timed suspension of 1 - 7 days for minor offenders and their email address will be logged.
Serious offenders should be made invisible to the forum, they'll be participating normally but other members won't see their post or be able to respond to their post.

They'll remain ineffective as they are permanently a Ghost member.

So help me God!

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by LogicMind: 7:32pm On Jun 08, 2012
Moderate an Yoruba forum?
Please count me out.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by LogicMind: 7:36pm On Jun 08, 2012
brabus: My own idea of moderation

Being the moderator of a forum like Nairaland means you should be aware of each and every activities
going on inside the forums, who posted today, who replied, which thread is trending, where and what? Who came online? It is a tough job especially on boards like politics, properties, job and sports with high traffic and activities

A moderator needs to be friendly but not over-friendly with members. A moderator is not a demi-god that every one in the forum should listen to, he's not an egocentric person. A moderator is not an oversabi person, he doesn’t do more than expected of him.
A moderator is timely, proactive and punctual. He relieves the admin.

How I plan to moderate

1. What's best, not what's new.

Its all about knowing what people wants. I may delete entire thread that aren't going anywhere. I know this will hurt some feelings but it will substantially raises the quality of the forum.

The idea is to have an interesting forum that serves the content and the readers, not a free-for-all forum for spammers. I'll also be ruthless in deleting contributions with incivilities, rants, and personal commentary on other contributors.

I'll work with the technical team of the forum to setup a filter that will automatically deflect certain trigger words.

2. Pre-moderated Topics

I'll like to program in pre-approval only on sensitive topics. This means all comments posted on such topics are reviewed by the moderator before going live.

3. Ban Spammers. Ban their IPs

Time-limited punishments for people not willing to follow the rules. Timed suspension of 1 - 7 days for minor offenders and their email address will be logged.
Serious offenders should be made invisible to the forum, they'll be participating normally but other members won't see their post or be able to respond to their post.

They'll remain ineffective as they are permanently a Ghost member.

So help me God!

learner dictators are applying.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by brabus(m): 8:03pm On Jun 08, 2012
dmainboss: @Seun

I am interested in the job and here's my solution:

First the manual way: I will setup a report address or similar (if that doesn't already exist) where users can report spam posts from any section. I will monitor these reports and take appropriate action based on what Nairaland considers as spam. I will do this routine say like every hour or more for all threads with priority given to front page threads.

Based on the above, I will monitor the user names and possibly IPs of offenders and keep a list of such and use that to prioritize future spam considerations. E.g. By keeping the number of times a user has been reported by other users and the number of times a user has been banned, those with higher ban rates can appear in a special cases list. This list can facilitate fast monitoring and filtering of spam.

Next is the automated way: This will require some programming and I would go about it as a project within a specific time frame. I did a spam filter for a cybercafe timer/proxy some years back, so I have real experience with that. I can give more details of that privately.
I will, for example, develop a filter script that will study patterns of spamming and use those patterns to filter the posts and suggest possible spam. These posts can then be reviewed and checked for spam. The script will also be used to do a delayed posts condition for known spammers. With that I mean a situation where a known or suspected spammer's post is delayed for say 10mins or more before it appears on the thread. I have seen this used in many forums, especially those of media organisations. But in this case, the posts will be delayed while a notification is sent to the admin, i.e. me, for consideration and necessary action. This will only apply to "known or suspected spammers" or to posts that are highly suspicious.

These are a few suggestions on how I will handle the spam issue if I get the job.

Regards

Nice approach. Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by kramer: 8:20pm On Jun 08, 2012
All this is long!!!

It was suggested in a previous thread that that you create a dislike button so that spam would be highlighted for the moderators by users thereby precluding the need to hire someone new to do it... *sigh*

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jun 08, 2012
no be everyday seun dey post this kind thing, how many people don get the job wey mukina post [size=50pt]abeg install a DDOS protection switch to VPS not shared hosting shekena [/size]i know u know all this but u just want to waste our time
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Dclique(m): 10:50pm On Jun 08, 2012
Admin, I can handle it.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by ZUBY77(m): 11:04pm On Jun 08, 2012
Maybe i can get this job but a lot of things will have to come into play. i know everything about forums. First the admin can activate moderators priviledges from the control panel. He can give them more priviledges from the permission settings or whatever it is called based on the software the forum runs on. The admin can also create asst admins who can have more priviledges than section mods or even the global mods.
There are ways which one can easily see the things that are happening or happened in the forum in the past one hour. One can take actions from there. I have administered a forum before and i know all there is to be known. THe point here should be, the hidden jobs required by the admin or the pay involved. I can decide to stay more online if the pay is attractive.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Holyrule(m): 11:50pm On Jun 08, 2012
Am here Seun,... I'll just simply do the job with my phone on the go. Anywhere, anytime! Thanks.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by kaysy(m): 11:58pm On Jun 08, 2012
dmainboss: @Seun

I am interested in the job and here's my solution:

First the manual way: I will setup a report address or similar (if that doesn't already exist) where users can report spam posts from any section. I will monitor these reports and take appropriate action based on what Nairaland considers as spam. I will do this routine say like every hour or more for all threads with priority given to front page threads.

Based on the above, I will monitor the user names and possibly IPs of offenders and keep a list of such and use that to prioritize future spam considerations. E.g. By keeping the number of times a user has been reported by other users and the number of times a user has been banned, those with higher ban rates can appear in a special cases list. This list can facilitate fast monitoring and filtering of spam.

Next is the automated way: This will require some programming and I would go about it as a project within a specific time frame. I did a spam filter for a cybercafe timer/proxy some years back, so I have real experience with that. I can give more details of that privately.
I will, for example, develop a filter script that will study patterns of spamming and use those patterns to filter the posts and suggest possible spam. These posts can then be reviewed and checked for spam. The script will also be used to do a delayed posts condition for known spammers. With that I mean a situation where a known or suspected spammer's post is delayed for say 10mins or more before it appears on the thread. I have seen this used in many forums, especially those of media organisations. But in this case, the posts will be delayed while a notification is sent to the admin, i.e. me, for consideration and necessary action. This will only apply to "known or suspected spammers" or to posts that are highly suspicious.

These are a few suggestions on how I will handle the spam issue if I get the job.

Regards

Seun!!!... If u dnt give this job to this guy, then the supreme court will hear our voice. If u like go and get Festus Keyamo
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by chelseabmw(m): 12:40am On Jun 09, 2012
Am Interested Seun........I can do the job......I am free for now so i am qualified
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by AnotherOkija: 2:14am On Jun 09, 2012
Dear Seun

I Alusi Okija would like to apply for the above stated position using y other User I.d Okija_juju.

I am always online and logged into Nairaland so this would enable me alway have access to Nairaland and enable me monitor and execute my duties diligently. As a Forum moderator, I shall set up a thread and an email address where complaints can be sent to for my immediate action. I shall employ any bots that may already exist on Nairaland to monitor the thread as well. As a moderator, I shall warn any first time offenders and educate them properly on how to go about posting their messages, and should they fail to take heed, I shall employ the powers bestowed on me and ban such a person.

I promise to be detribalized in the execution of my duties if chosen.

Yours faithfully

Alusi Okija..

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Nobody: 2:28am On Jun 09, 2012
Another Okija: Dear Seun

I Alusi Okija would like to apply for the above stated position using y other User I.d Okija_juju.

I am always online and logged into Nairaland so this would enable me alway have access to Nairaland and enable me monitor and execute my duties diligently. As a Forum moderator, I shall set up a thread and an email address where complaints can be sent to for my immediate action. I shall employ any bots that may already exist on Nairaland to monitor the thread as well. As a moderator, I shall warn any first time offenders and educate them properly on how to go about posting their messages, and should they fail to take heed, I shall employ the powers bestowed on me and ban such a person.

I promise to be detribalized in the execution of my duties if chosen.

Yours faithfully

Alusi Okija..

You definitely need to apply. Your joblessness has given you too much time to type like an untamed bushbaby on NL.

I doubt you can hold a job for more than a week tho.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Grooming Centre Invite. / I Didn't Cheat On A Job Test Does That Make Me A Fool ? / Experience Job Positions At CCC Construction Nigeria...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.