Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,063 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast (1872 Views)

Military Force Alone Can’t Defeat Boko Haram, Others – Obama / Nigeria Threatens To Leave Africa! Ghanian Media Claims / The Supreme Court Of Nigeria Threatens To Wipe The Igbo “off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Jen33(m): 12:04am On Jan 25, 2011
In his newspaper column in Thisday Magazine, Nigerian foreign minister Ajumogobia said Gbagbo "must be made to understand that there is a very real prospect of overwhelming military capability bearing down on him and his cohorts." 

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/Nigeria-Wants-UN-Backing-for-Military-Intervention-in-Ivory-Coast-114510399.html

These guys are starting to sound like Americans.  grin
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by KnowAll(m): 12:43am On Jan 25, 2011
At present d only actors missing in dat quagmire called cote d voire are sex starved Nigerian soldiers. The other motley crew of Liberian war lords & Seirra Leone " Komoje's " have all reconvene after an unwanted & grudingly acceptable lull from raaaping pillaging, & destruction.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Nobody: 7:40am On Jan 25, 2011
Jen33:

In his newspaper column in Thisday Magazine, Nigerian foreign minister Ajumogobia said Gbagbo "must be made to understand that there is a very real prospect of overwhelming military capability bearing down on him and his cohorts." 

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/Nigeria-Wants-UN-Backing-for-Military-Intervention-in-Ivory-Coast-114510399.html

Don't you love it when we flex our chicken muscles?
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by daylae(m): 8:30am On Jan 25, 2011
As if we even ranked ammong the major military powers in africa. . .

Shuting the exportation of cocoa will be a good move.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Nobody: 8:56am On Jan 25, 2011
daylae:

As if we even ranked ammong the major military powers in africa. . .

Shuting the exportation of cocoa will be a good move.   
militarily we may not be but diplomatically,you cant push nigeria to the back in Africa.
I don't seem to buy the idea of economic sanction cuz ivoriens should not be made to suffer from the whims and caprices of their leader.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Jen33(m): 9:09am On Jan 25, 2011
daylae said:

As if we even ranked among the major military powers in africa. . .

Nigeria IS most certainly ranked among the major military powers in Africa, with the most powerful and mobile military forces in West and Central Africa.

You must be living in a cave somewhere to write what you did.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Jen33(m): 9:17am On Jan 25, 2011
Aigbofa said:

quote from: Jen33 on Today at 12:04:52 AM

These guys are starting to sound like Americans. 

Don't you love it when we flex our chicken muscles?

Err, actually we are quite strong enough for the region we find ourselves in, with the financial capacity to expand capabilities in a short time where required. Surely you're not suggesting we spend even more on defence than we're currently doing (assuming of course you actually know the annual defence expenditure of our country).
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Orikinla(m): 9:32am On Jan 25, 2011
Nigeria is in worse danger than Ivory Coast.

We do not need soldiers to guard churches in northern Ivory Coast as we do in northern Nigeria.

Mus
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by daylae(m): 12:49pm On Jan 25, 2011
Jen33: you thought i was living in a cave? I suggest you need to go understand our military capabilities before thinking of a castle in the clouds. I certainly know that nigeria cannot be ranked ammong countries like egypt(no1 in africa and the middle east),south africa,algeria,and even ethopia ect. Most of the equipments and logistics used in our past military involvements were provided by the UN. When the minister threathened "overwhelming military force against ivory coast," he's sure not talking about nigeria alone,but talking about the ECOWAS and AU forces .
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Dede1(m): 1:20pm On Jan 25, 2011
@Post

It is a behavior detailing ignorance and diplomatic rascality on part of the so-called Nigerian foreign minister Ajumogobia. If this idiotic minister has any sense of directions, he should advise that Africans must seriously discuss the issue of de facto divided country such as Ivory Coast. These storms of misplaced military posturing by some ECOWAS members are clear indication of severe diplomatic deficiency.

The discussion should border on granting independent status to both southern and northern regions or strictly adhere to the reconciliation of the divided country. I can fathom that Africans have gone silly with the “new world order” manipulative junk clothed in the so-called democracy. In fact, the election in Ivory Coast is a mark of stupidity that can equal the idea of prescribing election in 1967 Nigeria. 

How could anybody with access to free air adjudge that election is possible in a de facto divided country such as Ivory Coast talk less of free and fair? Africans suffer from acute philosophical anemia.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Dede1(m): 1:22pm On Jan 25, 2011
deleted
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Mobinga: 2:35pm On Jan 25, 2011
And those tribalist animals would be calling for secession. I'm from Rivers State, BTW.

If we are currently in a war (like biafra) the north would wipe out every single southerner under a week!
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by DeeJay20: 2:37pm On Jan 25, 2011
Jen33:

I tire, we dont need to fight to remove this guy, they still can talk
and let him go peacefully,
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by otokx(m): 2:40pm On Jan 25, 2011
We have work to do in JOS and we are pointing fingers to Ivory Coast.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by DeeJay20: 2:41pm On Jan 25, 2011
Jen33:

Aigbofa said:

Err, actually we are quite strong enough for the region we find ourselves in, with the financial capacity to expand capabilities in a short time where required. Surely you're not suggesting we spend even more on defence than we're currently doing (assuming of course you actually know the annual defence expenditure of our country).

Annual Defense Spending (Weapons/Technology) of Nigeria is $2 Billion Dollars

Nigerian Department of Defense Budget $11 Billion Dollars

Position in Africa in Military Might : No 2 (South Africa No.1)
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Dede1(m): 2:59pm On Jan 25, 2011
Mobinga:

And those tribalist animals would be calling for secession. I'm from Rivers State, BTW.

If we are currently in a war (like biafra) the north would wipe out every single southerner under a week!

You are entitled to your opinion but temper your rhetoric with civility. It is unfortunate your mindset is the same as those of Nigerian leaders in 1967 that dubbed the military move against Biafra as “Police Action” that will end in two weeks period. Guess what, the action turned into a fratricidal war that forced Gowon and Nigeria to seek help from all over world.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by 1025: 3:06pm On Jan 25, 2011
what on earth makes a well thinking nigerian that we are qualified to be in ivory coast for peace making? in a trouble ivory coast, ppl are not dying as they are dying here in a peaceful nigeria.
i have lived in that country and had a business that i had to fold bcs of nigeria's interest in the country and i can tell u that a troubled ivory coast is more peaceful than a peaceful nigeria.
how can a man whose eyes are full of viels be struggling to clean another man's eyes.
if jonathan is informed, he shld have known that nigeria as a country is so troubled that other people's trouble will not bother him.
how can a people who lack peace give peace to other ppl?
in the past one month, we as a country have recorded nothing less than 200 deaths as a fresult of riots and accidents and these are things a peaceful nigeria can avoid.
the bombs in bayelsa and other parts of nigeria does not mean anything to us rather we are interested in ppl using less powerful guns in ivory coast.
the bible only ask us to love our neighbours as ourselves not more than ourselves.
nigeria must learn to put her house in order before moving to put another's house in other. charity must begin at home instead of the jonathan eye services to the international communities.
no matter how he try reach, it is not a news that he ascendency to power was not democratical and there is nothing he can do about that.
a divide and rule obasanjo was even a mediator, what a shame?
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by seanet03: 3:21pm On Jan 25, 2011
Dede1:

@Post

It is a behavior detailing ignorance and diplomatic rascality on part of the so-called Nigerian foreign minister Ajumogobia. If this idiotic minister has any sense of directions, he should advise that Africans must seriously discuss the issue of de facto divided country such as Ivory Coast. These storms of misplaced military posturing by some ECOWAS members are clear indication of severe diplomatic deficiency.

The discussion should border on granting independent status to both southern and northern regions or strictly adhere to the reconciliation of the divided country. I can fathom that Africans have gone silly with the “new world order” manipulative junk clothed in the so-called democracy. In fact, the election in Ivory Coast is a mark of stupidity that can equal the idea of prescribing election in 1967 Nigeria. 

How could anybody with access to free air adjudge that election is possible in a de facto divided country such as Ivory Coast talk less of free and fair? Africans suffer from acute philosophical anemia.   

You have said the truth. This African leaders are the same as Laurent Gbagbo.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Mobinga: 3:26pm On Jan 25, 2011
Dede1:

You are entitled to your opinion but temper your rhetoric with civility. It is unfortunate your mindset is the same as those of Nigerian leaders in 1967 that dubbed the military move against Biafra as “Police Action” that will end in two weeks period. Guess what, the action turned into a fratricidal war that forced Gowon and Nigeria to seek help from all over world.  

Go and read your history books and stop spewing absolute ostrichity all over the forum.
Forced Nigeria to seek what help?
Even the Nigerian blockade was done by foreigners abi? You tribalists fail to think hard about your silly secessionist fantasies.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by seanet03: 3:40pm On Jan 25, 2011
Mobinga:

Go and read your history books and stop spewing absolute imbecility all over the forum.
Even the Nigerian blockade was done by foreigners abi? You tribalists fail to think hard about your silly secessionist fantasies.  
dONE
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Mobinga: 3:46pm On Jan 25, 2011
^ I didn't abuse him o. Oya let me modify and modify yours
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Dede1(m): 6:04pm On Jan 25, 2011
Mobinga:

Go and read your history books and stop spewing absolute ostrichity all over the forum.

Why would I read the history books which do not measure up? Especially the books a not-so-smart person such as you have turned into gospel. If anybody has demonstrated inert imbecility on this thread, I must state without equivocation that you are indeed. I wondered why you strayed to blockade of Biafra by Nigeria in this discuss.

If you remember, I did not post this junk “If we are currently in a war (like biafra) the north would wipe out every single southerner under a week!” In fact, you did post it. I posited by suggesting that “Entire Nigeria”, not Northern region, could not subdue divided eastern region in weeks without seeking helps abroad talk less of northern region overwhelming southern region in weeks.

I have no sympathy for idiots such as you as they wallow in inherent stupidity. If you have read your history books as you claimed, the blockade of Biafra would have not been successful without the help of British navy. I shall suggest you seek information from Admirals Soroh and Aduwo, then (Lt Cmdrs), about the British naval officers who assisted them in the execution of the naval blockade of Biafra. The last time I checked though, both Soroh and Aduwo were not from northern region of Nigeria. I am not interest to watch Osaka swine such as you trying to make amend about the sabotage you and your forbearers perpetrated on Biafra.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Mobinga: 7:34pm On Jan 25, 2011
grin grin lol.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Mobinga: 7:40pm On Jan 25, 2011
First of All, you are massively INSANE!!

Secondly
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by 1025: 8:23pm On Jan 25, 2011
i just saw the worst pictures in my whole life on my facebook wall and the pictures are that of the killings in jos. if any nigerian in the face of all these sufferings and killings thinks that nigerian govt shld overlook our own problems and crises and go to ivory coast to make peace, i will pray that the problems of these dead nigerians and their families will be the portion of that one.
in a normal country, the dead ppl deserve national mourning day.
can somebody tell me that our president and his carbinet have not seen these pictures.
God, i have never seen this kind of horrible pictures in my whole life.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Mobinga: 8:26pm On Jan 25, 2011
Dede1:

Why would I read the history books which do not measure up?

See how silly you sound? How do you know they don't measure up? This is the reason you live in a world of ignorance.

[s]Especially the books a not-so-smart person such as you have turned into gospel[/s].

[s]If anybody has demonstrated inert imbecility on this thread, I must state without equivocation that you are indeed.[/s] I wondered why you strayed to blockade of Biafra by Nigeria in this discuss.

Wasn't the blockade part of the war? Daft! If that were to happen again, your entire family would starve to death.

If you remember, I did not post this junk “If we are currently in a war (like biafra) the north would wipe out every single southerner under a week!” In fact, you did post it. I posited by suggesting that “Entire Nigeria”, not Northern region, c[b]ould not subdue divided eastern region in weeks without seeking helps abroad talk less of northern region overwhelming southern region in weeks[/b].

You are lost in your secession fantasies.

[quote[s]]I have no sympathy for idiots such as you as they wallow in inherent stupidity. [/s]If you have read your history books as you claimed, the blockade of Biafra would have not been successful without the help of British navy. I shall suggest you seek information from Admirals Soroh and Aduwo, then (Lt Cmdrs), about the British naval officers who assisted them in the execution of the naval blockade of Biafra. The last time I checked though, both Soroh and Aduwo were not from northern region of Nigeria. I am not interest to watch Osaka swine such as you trying to make amend about the sabotage you and your forbearers perpetrated on Biafra.
[quote][/quote]
Whose forbearers? I am a southerner you failed lab rat.

All advocates of war and secession should be killed! Perhaps if your fore-fathers or you had been killed during the war we wouldn't be having this discussion.
You  clods  who support secession have failed to notice the troubles that come with it.
How would I blame you when its your insensitive fore fathers that failed to reason before going to war. You are also moving in there self-centered and greedy footsteps. About a million innocent Igbo's died during the war and silly secession is still in your thoughts. You should get rid of it.

The south would be massively overwhelmed if a war springs up because of non-thinking animals like you. Lots would die for no reason. You should pray for piece rather using your dirty fingers to advocate war. If a secessionist war occurs now wouldn't you seek refuge in another country?  

War is never justified. You shouldn't hope for it you Arrow. Greedy Igbo people, self-centred and selfish people. Come to accord with the north on how to share the oil. << That's the sensitive thing to do. Not to rant split split war war divide divide.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by oyebambam: 8:27pm On Jan 25, 2011
united nation say it would not support military action in ivory coast. It is funny , why nigerian are protesting in Nigeria that its government is undemocratic. The undemocratic  Nigeria government claim it want to go and force democratic system in another country.

National association of Nigeria student protest yesterday

Nigeria corper boycott registration

Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by fstranger1: 10:04pm On Jan 25, 2011
Oyebambam = Becomrichn and his batu English

I hail theee o oooooooo

BTW, we need more satellite pictures
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by asha80(m): 10:13pm On Jan 25, 2011
Mobing why fear dey worry you?becasuse that is what your post suggests.what concerns the thread with biafran war and this statement
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by superboi(m): 10:14pm On Jan 25, 2011
COMING SOON

Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by kettykin: 10:34pm On Jan 25, 2011
There is a very big difference between peace keeping and war,

The western powers and UN should have invaded IC without asking nigerian and ecomog to do that.

There are 2 scenarios that will play out when nigerian invades IC , first francophone countries might have sympathy for IC, IC might come out to defend their territory which will cost nigerian army a lot of casualties .
Mind you the army could not even catch tompolo in small niger delta.

Secondly a successful invasion will lead to a guerilla warfare , which will be difficult to control .

I am sure somebody somewhere will read this and advice the FG that IC might not be an easy ride .

I tell you women and children are going to pay dearly for this invasion as I don't really see any magic nigerian army can do in IC.

This same IC was sympathetic to the biafran cause and will likely draw sympathy from other african countries.
Re: Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast by Jen33(m): 11:00pm On Jan 25, 2011
daylae said:

Jen33: you thought i was living in a cave?

I know you are living in a cave.

I suggest you need to go understand our military capabilities before  thinking of a castle in the clouds. I certainly know that nigeria cannot be ranked ammong countries like egypt(no1 in africa and the middle east),south africa,algeria,and even ethopia  ect.

When you can hardly spell properly why should we accept you have an iota of an idea what you're talking about? You're sitting there typing teenage drivel about who is ''ranked above who'' as if military strength is simply a question of statistics and ''ranking''.  If it was, the US should have wiped Iraq out in one day, Afghanistan in an hour, and rather than discussing with Iran, would wipe them out in 2 hours.

But life simply doesn't work like that, Mr Naive. Combat experience, training, pedigree, familiarity with/adaptability to terrain etc, are often superior to actual inventory in determining the fighting capacity of a military unit. I've no idea what combat experience Algerian, South African or Egyptian troops have, but they will not be glad to face off with Nigerian troops given our greater experience in international combat missions, peacekeeping and overseas troop deployment, in addition to our large  military inventory and financial wherewithal to expand same during operations.

Most of the equipments and logistics used in our past military involvements were provided by the UN.

You've just shown your complete ignorance regarding the Nigerian military, and even the UN, which does not provide ''equipments and logistics'' to nations to fight in conflicts.

Why don't you go and actually learn something worthwhile about the Nigerian Armed Forces and the international system instead of embarrassing yourself here? 

When the minister threathened "overwhelming military force against ivory coast," he's sure not talking about nigeria alone, but talking about the ECOWAS and AU forces .

Nigeria provided over 85% of arms and equipment used in the last two ECOMOG expeditions - warships, fighter jets, tanks, rocket launchers, and armoured personnel carriers inter alia. Again, GO AND STUDY the Nigerian military and its capabilities extensively like some of us here have done, before coming here to type things you know nothing about.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Could Nigeria Ever Get Organized Like The USA? / Shell_who Wants To Be A Millionaire Scam. / Indian Top Politician Receives 'aluu-like' Treatment For Molesting A Lady!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.