Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? (2129 Views)

Student's Forced Haircut Caused Death of Teacher. For Atheists And Religionists. / Traditional Religionists Should Build TEMPLES Like In The Old Days!!! / Religionists: Is Abstinence Really Possible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by 2good(m): 1:44pm On Jun 09, 2012
dorox:
My sister and two of my brothers are atheist, my mum is an agnostic while two of my other sisters are strong christians with me just managing to hold on to the faith. I was formerly an agnostic

Do you live in Nigeria?
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by dorox(m): 1:49pm On Jun 09, 2012
2good:

Do you live in Nigeria?
Not anymore but it was while living abroad that i rediscovered my faith.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Areaboy2(m): 1:52pm On Jun 09, 2012
dorox:
My sister and two of my brothers are atheist, my mum is an agnostic while two of my other sisters are strong christians with me just managing to hold on to the faith. I was formerly an agnostic

lol.. i dont wana be in your shoes!

I like the way you say "managing to hold on". grin

@OP.. well, In Nigeria and many other places (parts of Texas included) you may become an outcast or even stoned for expressing your disbelieve in their "all powerful" God that knows the beginning and end. That has planned everything from start to finish but still somehow wants you to pray and ask for things and "sow" seeds to get something he already planned for you?. makes no sense! did i mention he never changes too? undecided

Sorry i got carried away there. what i'm trying to say is avoid engaging them in situations like those. I just sit and listen and might learn a thing or two why they think that way. Not worth it. hope they use there senses and ask crucial questions rather than blind belief. sad
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 2:44pm On Jun 09, 2012
dorox:
cheesycheesycheesycheesy shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 2:46pm On Jun 09, 2012
dorox:
How do you manage?
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 2:48pm On Jun 09, 2012
ea7: I've been outed at my school. Though no one makes a big deal of it, only my friends in BS society, bible study society or as I call it bullsh*t society. I managed to get some people to my side/deconvert some people. One of the B.S guys just debated with me on facebook this week, he eventually ran away. My advice is...go one on one with people, if in groups you might be ridiculed and they just affirm each others beliefs anyway.
Do you school in Nigeria?
I see. The people you deconverted were really educated. It may be possible afterall.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 2:51pm On Jun 09, 2012
Area_boy:

lol.. i dont wana be in your shoes!

I like the way you say "managing to hold on". grin

@OP.. well, In Nigeria and many other places (parts of Texas included) you may become an outcast or even stoned for expressing your disbelieve in their "all powerful" God that knows the beginning and end. That has planned everything from start to finish but still somehow wants you to pray and ask for things and "sow" seeds to get something he already planned for you?. makes no sense! did i mention he never changes too? undecided

Sorry i got carried away there. what i'm trying to say is avoid engaging them in situations like those. I just sit and listen and might learn a thing or two why they think that way. Not worth it. hope they use there senses and ask crucial questions rather than blind belief. sad
Okay, thanks. I wanna make them use their senses.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by EvilBrain1(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2012
Avicenna: Let me tell you a comment on Dana plane crash. ' The politicians are doing their rituals. They are using innocent blood to 'wet' the ground.' There was no blame on the airline that operated the faulty plane. 153 people confirmed dead and the response was superstition and more superstitions.

It's the same as last year when people were saying they voted for Goodluck because "his name has power". The fact is that we have a serious, long standing problem with education in this country. People simply don't know how to reason or apply logic. So instead they resort to superstition and magical thinking. And religious leaders are feeding fat on people's ignorance.

Personally, I don't bother myself trying "save" these people. If someone wants to be rètarded, then that is his right as a human being. I'm not going to risk getting beaten up by fanatics for a stranger who hasn't even asked for my help. The most I do is try and sow some doubt by pointing out the flaws in their logic, teaching physics and evolution and in the case of christians, confusing them with their own bible.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by dorox(m): 3:37pm On Jun 09, 2012
Avicenna:
How do you manage?
I do get along very well with my atheist simblings and my mum even when i don't agree with their views i can see why it can appear very reasonable. I have my reasons for believing in God which i have explained to my brothers but i won't be able to repeat them here because i am afraid that my writing skill will be inadequate to express the complexity of my argument.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 7:31pm On Jun 09, 2012
dorox:
I do get along very well with my atheist simblings and my mum even when i don't agree with their views i can see why it can appear very reasonable. I have my reasons for believing in God which i have explained to my brothers but i won't be able to repeat them here because i am afraid that my writing skill will be inadequate to express the complexity of my argument.
Okay.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by ZUBY77(m): 8:44am On Jun 10, 2012
My case is different. I usually start telling them my stand instantly. The whole of my neighbourhood in Onitsha now know that i am an atheist. I have been arguing with them for months since i returned from Europe. I usually throw questions that they cannot answer. Sometimes, they come up with the old doctrine questions of ; who made you: and so on. I have personally converted many of them but not wthout a prize. I took three guys with me down to Enugu on a weekend trip. I used my BMW X5 which is spacious and neat. I paid for the petrol alone, paid for their hotel bills for two niights, took them to nice joints and gave them ladies all on my own.
Now after spending like 100K for this guys, they had no option than to listen to me. I made them understand that TB Joshua is a scammer who exploits their ignorance. I told them that to become a free thinker like me, they have to start questioning everything including God himself. Last week, a church in my are were making noise and disturbing the entire area throughout the nights. I callled on my three guys and they all agreed that they couldnt sleep cos of the noises. Now i suggested that we go into the church to make our case known, they agreed reluctantly but refused to enter the compound. I went in, called the pastor out and explained to him that they will have to send their speakers inside or i will destroy them . Now the speakers are no longer there and the entire neighbourhood are proud of me, their new fearless hero who is daring god and religion.

Now i have over 100 followers in my area alone. they show up in droves every evening to listen to my sermon. They are no longer afraid of Jesus and moses and elijah etc. They now believe that bible was written by man. They now understand that the only reason why they even go to church was because they were threatened with eternal hell fire....

Imagine that one of the, even suggested that i rent a warehouse where people will be coming to know the truth.
All in all, bring them closer, show them love and tell them the truth. Most of them are just scared of hell fire.

I even asked them what they think they will do in heaven if they get there?
A world without, sex, alcohol, parties, nada.... Only singing and praying... Why would any sane person wanna go there?
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by cyrexx: 8:54am On Jun 10, 2012
@ZUBY77
how i wish you had been the one to deconvert me from christianity in such a sweet glorious manner.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by ZUBY77(m): 9:01am On Jun 10, 2012
cyrexx: @ZUBY77
how i wish you had been the one to deconvert me from christianity in such a sweet glorious manner.

Lol... There was no other way...
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Areaboy2(m): 9:05am On Jun 10, 2012
lol me too oh zubby!!!.. X5 things.. point and kill things in Enugu (New berries or Tuscana) i miss enugu!! lol. I will just deconvert no time!!
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by ZUBY77(m): 9:29am On Jun 10, 2012
Area_boy: lol me too oh zubby!!!.. X5 things.. point and kill things in Enugu (New berries or Tuscana) i miss enugu!! lol. I will just deconvert no time!!

Actually we visted the Tuscana near govt house in independence layout and the new berries park along abakiliki road, a nice open joint. Then we visited 8hours in ogui junction, thats where we picked the chicks ... Many of them there. We eventually went to the stadium to watch Enugu Rangers take on Gombe united. Game ended 3:0 for rangers. These guys are football fanatics and you can feel their excitment right there in the stadium. To cap the whole deconversion trip, we visited Shoprite, a magnificient world standard shopping mall... Thats where we picked up chivas regal... Enugu is full of life and these guys didnt know that. Now they can even agree to follow lucifer to Enugu if they know him.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 10:07am On Jun 10, 2012
ZUBY77: My case is different. I usually start telling them my stand instantly. The whole of my neighbourhood in Onitsha now know that i am an atheist. I have been arguing with them for months since i returned from Europe. I usually throw questions that they cannot answer. Sometimes, they come up with the old doctrine questions of ; who made you: and so on. I have personally converted many of them but not wthout a prize. I took three guys with me down to Enugu on a weekend trip. I used my BMW X5 which is spacious and neat. I paid for the petrol alone, paid for their hotel bills for two niights, took them to nice joints and gave them ladies all on my own.
Now after spending like 100K for this guys, they had no option than to listen to me. I made them understand that TB Joshua is a scammer who exploits their ignorance. I told them that to become a free thinker like me, they have to start questioning everything including God himself. Last week, a church in my are were making noise and disturbing the entire area throughout the nights. I callled on my three guys and they all agreed that they couldnt sleep cos of the noises. Now i suggested that we go into the church to make our case known, they agreed reluctantly but refused to enter the compound. I went in, called the pastor out and explained to him that they will have to send their speakers inside or i will destroy them . Now the speakers are no longer there and the entire neighbourhood are proud of me, their new fearless hero who is daring god and religion.

Now i have over 100 followers in my area alone. they show up in droves every evening to listen to my sermon. They are no longer afraid of Jesus and moses and elijah etc. They now believe that bible was written by man. They now understand that the only reason why they even go to church was because they were threatened with eternal hell fire....

Imagine that one of the, even suggested that i rent a warehouse where people will be coming to know the truth.
All in all, bring them closer, show them love and tell them the truth. Most of them are just scared of hell fire.

A world without, sex, alcohol, parties, nada.... Only singing and praying... Why would any sane person wanna go there?
So, it is true that one must acquire power/money/greatness to reach them.
Your approach is awesomecheesy
Just be careful before they start forming another religion around you.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by 2good(m): 10:10am On Jun 10, 2012
ZUBY77: My case is different. I usually start telling them my stand instantly. The whole of my neighbourhood in Onitsha now know that i am an atheist. I have been arguing with them for months since i returned from Europe. I usually throw questions that they cannot answer. Sometimes, they come up with the old doctrine questions of ; who made you: and so on. I have personally converted many of them but not wthout a prize. I took three guys with me down to Enugu on a weekend trip. I used my BMW X5 which is spacious and neat. I paid for the petrol alone, paid for their hotel bills for two niights, took them to nice joints and gave them ladies all on my own.

I like your story except the womanising part. I am really against carrying different girls because we all have sisters and mother and wouldn't like guys to treat them bad.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by ZUBY77(m): 10:17am On Jun 10, 2012
2good:

I like your story except the womanising part. I am really against carrying different girls because we all have sisters and mother and wouldn't like guys to treat them bad.
I feel you bro, i just wanted to show them how hypocritical they all are.
@avicena... Yep, money and power is all you need... You can agree with me that even Pope pays attention to bill gates more than you.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 10:23am On Jun 10, 2012
ZUBY77:
I feel you bro, i just wanted to show them how hypocritical they all are.
@avicena... Yep, money and power is all you need... You can agree with me that even Pope pays attention to bill gates more than you.
Hahahahaha
Yeah, the baztard really does.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by cyrexx: 11:12am On Jun 10, 2012
2good:

LOL. i agree with you there
as a side note, do you know that islamic heaven promises beautiful virgins for faithful muslim men to rock throughout eternity. has anyone ever wondered what will be the reward of faithful muslim women - handsome gigolos? grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Areaboy2(m): 12:14pm On Jun 10, 2012
cyrexx:

LOL. i agree with you there
as a side note, do you know that islamic heaven promises beautiful virgins for faithful muslim men to rock throughout eternity. has anyone ever wondered what will be the reward of faithful muslim women - handsome gigolos? grin grin grin

exactly! absolutely nothing. To show you the "male ruled" world we had when these religions started. you can count how many encounters with women or roles of a woman in the prominent Gospels of the new testament.

Even the Gospel of Thomas (that lost its place in the bible) quotes Jesus saying women must become men to enter the kingdom.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by KrissKringle: 12:44am On Jun 11, 2012
Well, I must say it's pretty difficult considering the level of extremism religion has grown to in this country. I've had several arguments with few of my friends and I can tell you that majority of the people here, some learned, aren't ready to give reason a chance. They're just satisfied with what they've been fed from childhood through school and on and on.

The best thing to do is to keep mute when they discuss until they throw a question at you, then you reply with intelligent one-liners like 'What makes you feel the God you're serving is the right one?'

Na there the confusion go start.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by manmustwac(m): 1:30am On Jun 11, 2012

Are you for REAL!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by lekkie073(m): 9:10am On Jun 11, 2012
Well, in my own case i always try my best to lay down questions that even pastors and imams find difficult to answer to keep them shut. My first questions to xtians when in argument is this 'adam and eve born cain and abel...cain killed abel and ran away to ά land...Н̲̅Ơ̴̴͡ώ did those ppl in dat land got there? Then u̶̲̥̅̊ will hear some xtians saying it may be some of adam and eve's offspring dat travelled there'. I then point out ϑ fact that cain ran away before they had their third child (seth) and from there ϑ average xtian gets confused.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 02, 2013
Is the OP of this thread still alive?
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by wiegraf: 11:51am On Apr 02, 2013
NL member: Is the OP of this thread still alive?

Supposedly he had another id.....hmmmm, who could it be?
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Apr 02, 2013
wiegraf:

Supposedly he had another id.....hmmmm, who could it be?

lol, I have no clue. I had a real life conversation with some theists and I experienced what OP was talking about so I was reminded of him.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 5:16pm On May 21, 2013
NL member: Is the OP of this thread still alive?

just going thru the archives,
saw this................

VERY VERY MUCH ALIVE..........for now grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

new Members Introduce Yourselves ( sticky ) / Photos From Deeper Life Crusade At Abuja Stadium. VP Osibanjo Present / Buhari's Secret Agenda Revealed By Ex-muslim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.