Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,098 members, 7,818,284 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? (5937 Views)

Ooni Of Ife's Wives As They Prepare To Bury Their Husband (photos) / Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? / 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by moshoodn(m): 8:50pm On Jun 14, 2012
Ptolomeus:
You have not agreed to discuss with me ...
I regret that although I do not know Nigeria, I have more knowledge of Nigeria that you, as you live there.
That should embarrass you. Learn to write in lowercase, not rude.
Case closed? Ok. Do not forget to take your things when you leave, get a history book and study of Nigeria.

(not trip when you exit.)
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:31pm On Jun 14, 2012
alj harem:

No one is offended. You have every right to ask questions if you are unsure of something because no one knows it all. I still learn a lot on Nairaland every single day that is why I am a bit addicted to this site. grin grin grin

For your question,

My opinion is that you are very correct. Although due to the fact that I don't want to give too much info about myself I would give some details though. Again I am not sure how correct this assumption is.

I was brought up in a royal household in Lagos. I am from the Awori-Egun clan in Lagos state and originally Lagos was a mangrove swampy land with different tiny Islands but 3 main ones. This according to my assumption would have made burial quite difficult give that fact it is water logged. I assumed we most likely took the dead to the inland areas like Ikeja (another awori settlement) etc.

Just to show you what I am talking about, here is one of the many villages Aworis can be found called SAGBOKOJI Island. Notice that there is no land, people are just living on the Ocean

Awori-eguns(Ogus) can be found in Ogun state and benin republic thus those Awori-egun there would probablly have buried their dead in their backyard or something. A visit to those area suggest so, also along side other yorubas would have done the very same thing of respecting the dead by having a proper burial site.

My sister, I am not Awori-Ogu expert but from my theories and assumption I made those up. I hope Tpia can shred more light to it

Dear friend:
His explanation was excellent, very valuable.
In addition you have been generous in sharing mujy knowledge.
On investigation, many times we must unite loose threads ... and not always doing so we were right.
I thank you for your valuable input.
I have some reference ... to egún worship (Egúngún?) is very interesting!
Few people in the forum have your spirit of reciprocity and respect for the past.
Admirably!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by aljharem(m): 3:34am On Jun 15, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Dear friend:
His explanation was excellent, very valuable.
In addition you have been generous in sharing mujy knowledge.
On investigation, many times we must unite loose threads ... and not always doing so we were right.
I thank you for your valuable input.
I have some reference ... to egún worship (Egúngún?) is very interesting!
Few people in the forum have your spirit of reciprocity and respect for the past.
Admirably!

Much respect and appreciation. I enjoyed the discussion with you because it is rare to see like of you with this sort of calm nature.

BTW, Egun is different from Egun(Ogu)

Egungun which is short for Egun means masquerade - I think

Egun can also mean Bone

The Egun I am talking about is an ethnic group from the ewe family which is part of the larger Yoruba group. The actual name is Ogu but most other yoruba would not understand thus the use of Egun.

to better understand this I would try to explain.

The yoruba ethnic group itself is a group of nations and in these nations, they are further ethnic groups in them. Ok for example I would use my ethnic group.

Awori-Ogu have both Awori and Ogu people. In Awori we have Brazilain Awori, Egba Awori, Ogu-Awori, etc

In Ogu we have Badagry, Igbogbele, Rapoji, Agbojetho, Kweme, Aivoji, Iweseme, Ajesin-Ogu (benin).

Ok another example would be the Ilajes

In Ilaje we have other subgroups like Ugbo, Mahin, Etikan and Aheri.

I hope you see where I am coming from. Understanding yoruba government is very very interesting to me as well. Although we in Nigeria call ourselves yoruba but those in other countries call themselves their different group name.

BTW Awori-Ogu, Ilaje and Itsekiri are the coastal yoruba groups found in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:47pm On Jun 15, 2012
alj harem:

Much respect and appreciation. I enjoyed the discussion with you because it is rare to see like of you with this sort of calm nature.

BTW, Egun is different from Egun(Ogu)

Egungun which is short for Egun means masquerade - I think

Egun can also mean Bone

The Egun I am talking about is an ethnic group from the ewe family which is part of the larger Yoruba group. The actual name is Ogu but most other yoruba would not understand thus the use of Egun.

to better understand this I would try to explain.

The yoruba ethnic group itself is a group of nations and in these nations, they are further ethnic groups in them. Ok for example I would use my ethnic group.

Awori-Ogu have both Awori and Ogu people. In Awori we have Brazilain Awori, Egba Awori, Ogu-Awori, etc

In Ogu we have Badagry, Igbogbele, Rapoji, Agbojetho, Kweme, Aivoji, Iweseme, Ajesin-Ogu (benin).

Ok another example would be the Ilajes

In Ilaje we have other subgroups like Ugbo, Mahin, Etikan and Aheri.

I hope you see where I am coming from. Understanding yoruba government is very very interesting to me as well. Although we in Nigeria call ourselves yoruba but those in other countries call themselves their different group name.

BTW Awori-Ogu, Ilaje and Itsekiri are the coastal yoruba groups found in Nigeria.

Dear friend.
I'm really excited about our exchange. Are you a good person. It is difficult to find someone as educated and willing to explain things. It's hard for me to express the magnitude of my gratitude.
I have studied much about the Yoruba. This is a topic that I love. But obviously I'm far away geographically, and it is very difficult to learn.
I've read about the cult Egun as ancestor worship (presumably to tribal or ethnic ancestry).
I understand that the Yoruba, historically there were several kingdoms, in language, traditions, religion and common past. In the beginning, with a central government (political-military) in Oyo, and other cultural and religious in Ile Ife.
I have some material written in Yoruba, that here in Uruguay has remained since the days of slavery, transmitted orally from generation to generation.
It is to Orisa aduras. I would be very interested in you see them, and give me your opinion on the correctness or otherwise of the same and the type of variety used.
If you do not consider it disrespectful to me I would be interested to maintain contact with you.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by aljharem(m): 5:36pm On Jun 15, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Dear friend.
I'm really excited about our exchange. Are you a good person. It is difficult to find someone as educated and willing to explain things. It's hard for me to express the magnitude of my gratitude.
I have studied much about the Yoruba. This is a topic that I love. But obviously I'm far away geographically, and it is very difficult to learn.
I've read about the cult Egun as ancestor worship (presumably to tribal or ethnic ancestry).
I understand that the Yoruba, historically there were several kingdoms, in language, traditions, religion and common past. In the beginning, with a central government (political-military) in Oyo, and other cultural and religious in Ile Ife.
I have some material written in Yoruba, that here in Uruguay has remained since the days of slavery, transmitted orally from generation to generation.
It is to Orisa aduras. I would be very interested in you see them, and give me your opinion on the correctness or otherwise of the same and the type of variety used.
If you do not consider it disrespectful to me I would be interested to maintain contact with you.

No problem, I just got your email although you are the first Nairalander I am accepting but I gladly did so. I also hope to keep in contact with you in the near future.

BTW what you wrote was very very correct.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by opee1231(f): 8:53am On Jun 16, 2012
come to think of it,its not about tribalism or somethn..am a yoruba gal...n i strongly say this topic is fact... though am not frm Abeokuta but i'v lived there for 2months and i saw wah ds person is talkin about.... go to ijebu ode,ijebu igbo,Ijebu Awa n others u will definitly see this around.. as for Ibadan, am even so sick cus its so so so common..go to Arere,Mapo,Muslim,Olunloye,Iwo road,Bere,Alakia,kudeti n many others...u will definitly see... i once asked my mum...dt if one decide to renovate all this area..how we go do d dead bodies? she said we go buy land for dem ni...even Oshogbo,Ife n some parts of Lagos gan..i don't know if its culture..but pple should call of d pretence this thn na true..
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by MrGlobe(m): 2:28pm On Jun 16, 2012
^
wow... Its interesting that this stuff occurs and majority of the people in the tribe involved cannot cite the reason for the practise. Also, others too may not be comfortable with the event. This is not peculiar to abeokuta alone(my point of observation), its a tribal thing (as stated above)..

Although I learnt alot from haram's post but then, abeokuta, ibadan and oshogbo are not water locked. I could accept for lagos because of water surroundings but what of these other places?
I hope someone from these areas in the know will put us through and enligten the people. I would also like to know the implication of this practice when development via the demolition of ancient building decides to sweep through these places.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Ptolomeus(m): 7:03pm On Jun 18, 2012
I follow closely the interesting comments from the dear fellow.

(1) (2) (Reply)

ARE CERTAIN KIDS BORN WITH DREADLOCKS? / There's Something About Us Nigerians. . . . Gotta Love Us / Photo Evidence Of Oreri (ora-eri)People Of Anambra State Being Igala By Ancestry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.