Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,849 members, 7,820,960 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

Why Most Web Developers Fail - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Most Web Developers Fail (7238 Views)

Knickknacks For Programmers/ Web Developers And UX/UI Professionals / My Advice To 9ja Programers And Web Developers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by shorxynla(m): 2:51pm On Jun 12, 2012
From my own point of view. As a programmer and web designer, blaming
Someone of copying other people work is not the solution. The problem we have is
Is the problem of Creativity and what to design. Generally there's nothing new under this heaven but we need to be creative. Using myself as an example, have been thinking for like two months now on a site to design Just to make an impact but still nothing is coming up. Please let's have a list of our problem in this country so that developers will be able to solve them one by one. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by moderatorr: 3:12pm On Jun 12, 2012
abubaka101: My own contribution on the topic is, Web designers and developers fail due to lack of an innovative mind! Everybody wants to create a site life facebook, twitter... They are'nt really thinking about something different. Take for instance, Digg is a major hotspot for the latest news, but everytime I post an article/story about/on Africa/Nigeria, I feel like am the only one whose going to actually read what I post. Truth be told, Nairaland is the only hotspot for the latest news in Nigeria, but they don't officially allow users to post this many links/stories...
My conclusion is this, if somebody can come up with a good Digg "photocopy" for African/Nigerian contents, that person would be rewarded greatly for his effort. But if no-one can, it means I'll have to climb up the ladder on my programming tutorial and save the day.
Who agrees?
have u seen braintem. Com ?
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by doncigalo: 3:14pm On Jun 12, 2012
@cnairo Are you inherently stupid or naturally dumb ?? Did you not see my other post.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jun 12, 2012
I really do not know why most people attacked the guy for saying nothing but the truth and the absolute truth. How many Africans have the fundamental technical know hows of how these stuffs work? If we were to be penalized for plagiarism I wonder how many websites from this part of the world would survive. 95% of the websites that are designed in Africa either run on Content Management Systems or were generated by a WYSIWYG application. All of you coming up here trying to act like you know it all...How many languages can you really code in? Even the banks run on Content Management Systems. He said the fact...How many innovative web applications have you seen around here? Jobberman runs on a content management system…Nairaland runs on a modified version of a web application that is designed to run a forum. Only few people can design applications from the scratch and come up with a fully functional application(Less than 5% of those into IT in Africa). Let’s stop deceiving ourselves and face the fact.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jun 12, 2012
....^^^^....
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by hotwax: 3:27pm On Jun 12, 2012
I really do not know why most people attacked the guy for saying nothing but the truth and the absolute truth. How many Africans have the fundamental technical know hows of how these stuffs work? If we were to be penalized for plagiarism I wonder how many websites from this part of the world would survive. 95% of the websites that are designed in Africa either run on Content Management Systems or were generated by a WYSIWYG application. All of you coming up here trying to act like you know it all...How many languages can you really code in? Even the banks run on Content Management Systems. He said the fact...How many innovative web applications have you seen around here? Jobberman runs on a content management system…Nairaland runs on a modified version of a web application that is designed to run a forum. Only few people can design applications from the scratch and come up with a fully functional application(Less than 5% of those into IT in Africa). Let’s stop deceiving ourselves and face the fact. I challenge anyone here to come up here and show a web application fully designed from scratch and I will tell you the Content Management System it

I have never use a template b4. I know of friends like that too.

They create from the scratch. Content management/templates limit your creativity.

If you want proofs, I have many.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jun 12, 2012
hotwax:

They create from the scratch. Content management/templates limit your creativity.

Bring it on.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jun 12, 2012
hotwax:

And show us a dynamic web application and not some static website. And tell us the languages that run the application. Also, let us know about the backend of the web application and if possible, give us a Backend URL login page.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jun 12, 2012
lordZOUGA: dude, your site looks like crap. Fix it first before giving others advice. The time it took you in posting this you could have used in fixing a problem. What is it with NL and advice eh?. Nigerians suck at anything synonymous with development: web development, software development, human development, child development. All we do is SUCK-SEED.
Dude, you were so rude...But U said the fact though... grin
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by lordZOUGA(m): 3:56pm On Jun 12, 2012
hotwax:

Do you expect me to go and create a page for calabash just because I am from Africa?

10 years after Facebook became popular, GooglePlus was created and its becoming more popular than facebook.

Is facebook meant to be only social apps out there? Myspace was there before facebook. Facebook came and over shadow myspace. Are you saying myspace only has license to build social Apps.

I am working on a Social/Cloud OS. Does it mean since there is microsoft cloud, I should not try and contribute my own quota to cloud computing world?

You have not addressed Nigerian developers problem.

1. Poverty/pain of bootstrapping a new business
2. Government attitude/support towards creativity/Government protection of intellectual properties.
3. Poor economy and currency Issue
4. Curroption/yahoo yahoo guys. Nobody trust a Nigerian on the Internet
5. Many more...

you plan on competing with microsoft... Thats very wise..
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Skywalker5(m): 3:56pm On Jun 12, 2012
cryptic:

And show us a dynamic web application and not some static website. And tell us the languages that run the application. Also, let us know about the backend of the web application and if possible, give us a Backend URL login page.

haaa. is that not asking for too much? undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jun 12, 2012
Sky-walker:

haaa. is that not asking for too much? undecided undecided undecided

Bro, lol, I might not know too much about IT but I have an idea about how these things work. They attacked the guy when he said the obvious truth. How many Africans do hand coding? Very hard to come by... LEt me share a little story with you. A client went to NIIT some 3 years ago and met with one of the lecturers and told him he wanted a web application that will handle real estate listings...The guy said: oh that is small thing...I teach these things...the guy was paid some money..the guy just created some cracked up PHP set of pages. He spent 3 months debugging. He ended up running away. This same client has his nephew in Indonesia running a web design degree. He felt since his nephew was in Indonesia that he should be able to get someone that would help him create an application that will automatically calculate people's income based on the amount of goods bought. He sells packed rice in Nigeria so he sells at a discounted price to members of his cooperative. His nephew met with a Ghanian lecturer. He also ended up debugging and debugging without any results( he was also paid some money). The fact is that being able to code is one thing, being able to create an application is another. As for your bold statement, all web applications have a backend. The backend is the administrative end that contains list of instructions on how the frontend should work. Facebook, twitter, nairaland e.t.c all have backends.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by lordZOUGA(m): 4:20pm On Jun 12, 2012
cryptic: I really do not know why most people attacked the guy for saying nothing but the truth and the absolute truth. How many Africans have the fundamental technical know hows of how these stuffs work? If we were to be penalized for plagiarism I wonder how many websites from this part of the world would survive. 95% of the websites that are designed in Africa either run on Content Management Systems or were generated by a WYSIWYG application. All of you coming up here trying to act like you know it all...How many languages can you really code in? Even the banks run on Content Management Systems. He said the fact...How many innovative web applications have you seen around here? Jobberman runs on a content management system…Nairaland runs on a modified version of a web application that is designed to run a forum. Only few people can design applications from the scratch and come up with a fully functional application(Less than 5% of those into IT in Africa). Let’s stop deceiving ourselves and face the fact.
speak for yourself sir...
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by hotwax: 4:26pm On Jun 12, 2012
you plan on competing with microsoft... Thats very wise..

Many cloud frameworks are out there. DropBox, eyeOS e.t.c. They were not intimidated by Microsoft and they are making it big.

Concerning my design. I mentioned Its still under development, cant give you URL. If however you want screen views, be my guest.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jun 12, 2012
lordZOUGA:
speak for yourself sir...

Show us what you are made of sir. You can't just debunk my assertion. Give us links to jobs you built from the scratch.

2 Likes

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by lordZOUGA(m): 4:51pm On Jun 12, 2012
cryptic:

Show us what you are made of sir. You can't just debunk my assertion. Give us links to jobs you built from the scratch.
No, I won't. its okay for mediocre minded people like you to exist. its good for morale and business.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Morrelinko(m): 4:56pm On Jun 12, 2012
@guru. "Why Web developers fail" (or probably you wanted naming it "why nigerian web developers fail"wink?

Let me also point out one big problem amongst nigerian developers.

For example, if i should come asking you to join me so we can work together to create a web application that'll change nigeria. What will be the first thing in your mind?

"Hmmmm! Who will take the credit?" or "I don't like partnership. It doesn't end well."

And also, i do not fully support your idea on the fact that we like creating apps that already exists as being a factor that makes nigerian web developers fail.
You may want to justify that fact.

Just look at the 1st reply of this thread. Saying that your site is crap. That is another problem we have. Do i really need to go into this?

1 Like

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by spikesC(m): 4:59pm On Jun 12, 2012
cryptic:

Like he said, speak for yourself...that is a very stup!d way to generalise on developers. I want you to make a list of 10 nigerian made websites that are not of the ordinary (i.e no blogs, no forums).... 9 of them are developed from scratch. I hope you're not also taking frameworks as platforms. Well, here is one, www.infinitbin.com... Not even a framework is used, the only outside code is phpmailer. seriously, don't insult nigerian developers ever again, they're worth more that u can imagine(yes, i have proves). Our only problem is lack of oppurtunities, funding and the worst, the bad name our yahoo yahoo brothers has given to us.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jun 12, 2012
lordZOUGA:
No, I won't. its okay for mediocre minded people like you to exist. its good for morale and business.

You call me mediocre? I can show you jobs I did from scratch(I am a microbiologist) and I started doing IT jobs before I got admission into the university. Don't make empty noise sir. I did not come here to brag. I only read the poster's comment and everything he said is the fact. So please, if you can't showcase anything don't come up here to trash-talk anybody because you can talk. You are not the only one that can talk, you know? If he did not say the fact, then you would have been seeing indigenous applications around.
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by lordZOUGA(m): 5:14pm On Jun 12, 2012
a blind man leading a blind man crossing a road is worse than three blind people crossing that same road separately. what the O.P did was wrong, he is not fit to be advising people
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jun 12, 2012
lordZOUGA: a blind man leading a blind man crossing a road is worse than three blind people crossing that same road separately. what the O.P did was wrong, he is not fit to be advising people

How is he wrong? He never said he was better than anybody bro...He said the fact. He also said at the end of his statement that you could also add your contribution. Sorry but nothing in the poster's post suggests anything like that.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jun 12, 2012
spikes C:

Like he said, speak for yourself...that is a very stup!d way to generalise on developers. I want you to make a list of 10 nigerian made websites that are not of the ordinary (i.e no blogs, no forums).... 9 of them are developed from scratch. I hope you're not also taking frameworks as platforms. Well, here is one, www.infinitbin.com... Not even a framework is used, the only outside code is phpmailer. seriously, don't insult nigerian developers ever again, they're worth more that u can imagine(yes, i have proves). Our only problem is lack of oppurtunities, funding and the worst, the bad name our yahoo yahoo brothers has given to us.

I also think it is very imbecilic for you to say I stupidly generalized when I said the fact. The bold statement is also absolutely incorrect. Most websites being built here use CMSs(Most either use wordpress or Joomla). The banks use frameworks. Listen dude, as far as IT is concerned, Africa is in its infant stage of development. I lived in America for quite a while and I have met with quite a number of IT pros. I met with John Resig the Javascript Evangelist( The inventor of Jquery) in 2009 after the 2009 Jquery conference held in Boston, Massachusetts and I was inspired. Don't get me wrong, I am not trash talking our jobs here but the Poster said the fact.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jun 12, 2012
spikes C:

As for the website you asked me to take a look at, I will try to detect if there is either a framework or maybe a CMS. If it is a hand coded job, then I think it is a really great job but the developers of the website have to work on the UI as the UI is really poor.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Javanian: 5:37pm On Jun 12, 2012
I just dug up this old thread but what the op said was true
aitoehigie: Why are Nigerian programmers so smart? They are so smart that all they ever do is to develop:
1. Banking software (Which our banks will never use. Can you trust a Nigerian with money? take Yahoo Yahoo as a case study. The Nigerian programmer might probably put in a back orfice into the program to enable him siphon money from the bank anytime he wishes). Why would i use a crappy Nigerian software, when there are excellent banking software made in India?
2. Human Resource Managers : this is almost same as the above
3. Hospitality software: same as the above
4. Social networking sites and forums like "dollarland.com"
5. church management system
6. Supermarket/School management system
7. The list is endless

Lets try the be innovative.

P.S: NOW LET THE PERSONAL ATTACKS BEGIN

source: https://www.nairaland.com/146070/why-nigerian-programmers-smart

2 Likes

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 12, 2012
Javanian: I just dug up this old thread but what the op said was true

source: https://www.nairaland.com/146070/why-nigerian-programmers-smart
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 12, 2012
Morrelinko: @guru. "Why Web developers fail" (or probably you wanted naming it "why nigerian web developers fail"wink?

Let me also point out one big problem amongst nigerian developers.

For example, if i should come asking you to join me so we can work together to create a web application that'll change nigeria. What will be the first thing in your mind?

"Hmmmm! Who will take the credit?" or "I don't like partnership. It doesn't end well."

And also, i do not fully support your idea on the fact that we like creating apps that already exists as being a factor that makes nigerian web developers fail.
You may want to justify that fact.

Just look at the 1st reply of this thread. Saying that your site is crap. That is another problem we have. Do i really need to go into this?

Thank you bros for saying that. No one wants to work with anyone. Even the Facebook guy worked with some other people. Same for google, yahoo e.t.c
Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by spikesC(m): 5:57pm On Jun 12, 2012
cryptic:

I also think it is very imbecilic for you to say I stupidly generalized when I said the fact. The bold statement is also absolutely incorrect. Most websites being built here use CMSs(Most either use wordpress or Joomla). The banks use frameworks. Listen dude, as far as IT is concerned, Africa is in its infant stage of development. I lived in America for quite a while and I have met with quite a number of IT pros. I met with John Resig the Javascript Evangelist( The inventor of Jquery) in 2009 after the 2009 Jquery conference and I was inspired. Don't get me wrong, I am not trash talking our jobs here but the Poster said the fact.

I never said the opinion of the poster is irrelivant, we have too many problems that are not even listed here. And like i said, most not ordinary websites doesn't use cms, i think you need to read my comment again. Who wants to create another cms for his blog, they go for wordpress. It is a very wise decision to me, performance and speed wise, no need to reinvent the wheel, not to talk of this kind of wheel. Do you think its that easy developing with a platform than from scratch. what you don't know, you don't know it, so you must learn a platform before working on it. Am not talking setting up wordpress, installing themes,plugins and making posts...No, am talking of developing a full feature rich wordpress theme that serves more than blogging. Am talking of hacking wordpress core for performance,high efficiency and reliability. Yes, africa is still in the infant stage, but we're good....we don't have to be john resig because we cannot be compared with him, not because we can't be better but because of the differience in opportunities we have. And sorry to say this but yes, you're trash talking our jobs.

cryptic:

As for the website you asked me to take a look at, I will try to detect if there is either a framework or maybe a CMS. If it is a hand coded job, then I think it is a really great job but the developers of the website have to work on the UI as the UI is really poor.
[quote author=cryptic]

Hehehe...thank you very much. FYI though, that is the first public launched website of a php enthusiast. Frameworks are good, they help us meet deadlines and CMS' are the little devels that can do incredible things if found on the hands of a specialist...u can never guess what i can do with wordpress. UI ni, abeg leave that thing for now, i am always more worried about the backend....but don't worry, UI will be totally enhanced to the maximum soon,i am a lover of what i see.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jun 12, 2012
spikes C:

I never said the opinion of the poster is irrelivant, we have too many problems that are not even listed here. And like i said, most not ordinary websites doesn't use cms, i think you need to read my comment again. Who wants to create another cms for his blog, they go for wordpress. It is a very wise decision to me, performance and speed wise, no need to reinvent the wheel, not to talk of this kind of wheel. Do you think its that easy developing with a platform than from scratch. what you don't know, you don't know it, so you must learn a platform before working on it. Am not talking setting up wordpress, installing themes,plugins and making posts...No, am talking of developing a full feature rich wordpress theme that serves more than blogging. Am talking of hacking wordpress core for performance,high efficiency and reliability. Yes, africa is still in the infant stage, but we're good....we don't have to be john resig because we cannot be compared with him, not because we can't be better but because of the differience in opportunities we have. And sorry to say this but yes, you're trash talking our jobs.

I am sorry if I sounded like I trash talked Nigerian web developers( I am one of them bro) I was just so sad at the way people spoke about the poster. He said the fact and he didn't sound like he was lecturing anybody as some people here are claiming. Bill gates alongside Paul Allen developed a traffic monitoring system for the state of Washington when bill was 17! The poster is only encouraging us to be better at what we do. I noticed one thing about Nigerian programmers: WE are jack of all trades. We wanna learn C,C#, C++, Java, PHP without mastering any one of them. Pick a language and master all of the syntax, precepts and algorithm dynamics. With just that one language you have mastered, you can build kick a$s applications. Once you have mastered a language, then you can select another language that uses similar syntax. For example, it is easy for a C programmer to learn PHP as PHP was actually derived from C and uses similar syntax. Once again, I am apologizing to the house if I sounded like I was trash talking Nigerian application developers but the poster was very right about what he said. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 12, 2012
spikes C:

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by lordZOUGA(m): 10:40pm On Jun 12, 2012
the world is a global village now... We really don't need a Nigerian version for most things...

1 Like

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by doncigalo: 10:42pm On Jun 12, 2012
@cryptic well said !! there's no need to apologize.

For those that are ranting saying that Nigerian web developers are innovative or creative, they are just on cheap drugs, really cheap ones. The truth is that there are very very few Nigerian developers that are actually worth their salt. The remaining 99% percent are just hacks who believe once they've learnt about programming on W3schools or can use a CMS like Drupal or Joomla or open up notepad and type HELLO WORLD they are automatically gurus. They know nothing about software development methdologies, models, approach, version tracking or even how to carry out UAT(user acceptance test).

They think that because people like Zuckerberg,Gates and Jobs dropped out of school and became succesfull therefore they too can become like them by learning stuff on their own and become innovative or successfull, that is a big lie and a very dangerous path for them to follow. If you examine the universites (Ivy league) and the curriculum that Zuckerberg and co. went through, you would find out that they were exposed to cutting edge development practices, technologies and a variety of fundamental subjects areas from Fuzzy logic & Neural Algorithms to HCI(Human Computer Interaction) to SDLC (Software Development Lifecycles). They absorbed all they were TAUGHT, put it into practice and decided that you know what, I can take it from here on my own.

Take a look at most silicon valley start-ups, why is is that a significant number of founders/ceo's are dropouts from Ivy league universities ? Till these Nigerian developers begin to look at software/web development from a process driven perspective and understand that being innovative is by producing creative solutions to existing problems, that is when they can actually be called innovative or even developers !

4 Likes

Re: Why Most Web Developers Fail by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jun 12, 2012
doncigalo: @cryptic well said !! there's no need to apologize.

For those that are ranting saying that Nigerian web developers are innovative or creative, they are just on cheap drugs, really cheap ones. The truth is that there are very very few Nigerian developers that are actually worth their salt. The remaining 99% percent are just hacks who believe once they've learnt about programming on W3schools or can use a CMS like Drupal or Joomla or open up notepad and type HELLO WORLD they are automatically gurus. They know nothing about software development methdologies, models, approach, version tracking or even how to carry out UAT(user acceptance test).

They think that because people like Zuckerberg,Gates and Jobs dropped out of school and became succesfull therefore they too can become like them by learning stuff on their own and become innovative or successfull, that is a big lie and a very dangerous path for them to follow. If you examine the universites (Ivy league) and the curriculum that Zuckerberg and co. went through, you would find out that they were exposed to cutting edge development practices, technologies and a variety of fundamental subjects areas from Fuzzy logic & Neural Algorithms to HCI(Human Computer Interaction) to SDLC (Software Development Lifecycles). They absorbed all they were TAUGHT, put it into practice and decided that you know what, I can take it from here on my own.

Take a look at most silicon valley start-ups, why is is that a significant number of founders/ceo's are dropouts from Ivy league universities ? Till these Nigerian developers begin to look at software/web development from a process driven perspective and understand that being innovative is by producing creative solutions to existing problems, that is when they can actually be called innovative or even developers !

Thank you sir for making it all CLEAR and STRAIGHT TO THE POINT. I am sure every sane minded, partially educated soul can read and digest what you just posted. Even our lecturers here don't know NOTHING! These guys went through the process that created these things. How do you expect to even grasp all of these things? When you don't have a mind as powerful as Von Neumann's; even if you do, you have to get the BASICS. It is like learning the meaning of a word as complicated as erythropoesis when you have not grasped the ABCs of English Language; when you have not gotten the fact that whenever you see erythro, then you know it has to do with red blood cells. The workings of computers are sophisticated set of processes working together to produce synchronous results. once one process has been left out, then there is a breakdown of the entire process and that is why when there is a syntax error the code fails to run. It is not just the application that fails to run the code, but also the CPU fails to recognize the instruction. It is like a tree of processes, once the main source don't recognize it, then there is a breakdown. If it is broken down midway, then the signal is passed to the source that there is a breakdown of order. We just see these things here without having a full picture of how these things work. You just talked about Fuzzy Logic and Neural Algorithms..How many people even bother to get into that before learning a computer programming language?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

All You Need To Know About The Law As A Programmer & Startup Founder In Nigeria / How To Hire Good Programmers In Nigeria (an Experience Based Article) / Do Nigerian Banks Have An Api To Their Database.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.