Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? (16615 Views)

Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? / why anything God Does Or Commanded Morally Good; Can We Be Justified To Do Same / What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jun 11, 2012
We can not compare Nigeria & US based on morality when there are no fixed indicators for assessment. What is perceived as morally right in a society can be seen as morally wrong in another e.g, homosexuality is morally right in some states in the US & in some European countries but seen as a taboo both in tradition or riligion in most African countries.
Therefore, if we must compare these two countries based on morality we should state the indicators that will be used which must not differ in application in both countries. Also, these indicators MUST be drawn from the tradition or religion practiced in both countries. For example, if both countries are Christian societies then we can use the morals in the Bible as indicators or Quran for Islamic countries as the case may be. For mixed religious countries, the indicators will be drawn from both books for the assessment, and the study size should be evenly distributed.
If these indicators are not spelt out, opinions here will be a reflection of our personal thinking which will not be correct statistically
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by megxo(m): 12:55pm On Jun 11, 2012
phreakabit: Morally? YES we are!. . . Reasons:

1, You don't see 16 year old "baby mommas" everywhere (Typical of Latinos and African Black Americans)

2, You don't see MOST of our teenagers experimenting with drugs: [size=18pt]Sniffing Nutmeg[/size], Bath salt, doing mushrooms or doing Salvia (hallucinogens in general, as in the case of America.

3, I am yet to attend or hear of a teenage rave party in Nigeria (You know how rave parties are).

I could mention more but I have stuff to do ATM. . . I check back later .
4 ur 16 yr old baby mommas, dey're rampant n d "drug" ish, u dont wanna start an arguement bout dat cos d young ones r closer 2 drug stores now, nt for vitamin c, bt for "lil wayne" kinda drugs.... smh 4 d future generation
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Dambudzo: 12:56pm On Jun 11, 2012
2good:

Do you know that thesame legal system you talk about varies from country to country? I'll give you some examples here:
1. In Iran it is punishable by death to say there is no God.
2. Its is also a crime punishable by death for a Muslim to convert to Christianity.
3. In the Netherlands, prostitution is legal.
4. Smoking of marijuana is also legal in the Netherlands.
5. Homosexuality is Legal in many European countries including the Netherlands while it's a punishable offence in Nigeria.
6. In the US, some states allows homosexuality while some-others don't.
7. In Saudi Arabia women are not allowed to drive a car.
8. In Saudi Arabia a woman must always cover her hair in the public whether she's a Muslim, an Arab or a Westerner. it is the law.
9. In Oman, boys and girls are not allowed to talk and socialize in the public. It is strictly against the law but that is not a problem in Nigeria.

You can see that the cultural and religious believes of a people, influences their law in so many ways. So morality is subjective.

At a certain level morality is objective. They are certain moral principles which l think all societies must abide with.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by lalaboi(m): 1:09pm On Jun 11, 2012
"They are corrupt, We a corrupt, the only difference is that we are honest about it" grin

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Allocsoluwatosi(m): 1:10pm On Jun 11, 2012
Wat are talking about '' immorality or wat'' Americans are generally intellect compare to our black empty brain
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by megxo(m): 1:13pm On Jun 11, 2012
bittyend: America is sodom and gomorrah, and hell on earth.

Nigeria is 100000000 times morally better than U.S.

Corruption in Nigeria is child's play when compared to America.

Do you guys know how much George Bush and Di.ck Cheney stole from America?? Nigeria would go bankrupt if the same amount of money was stolen from the country's coffers.

How much was missing in Iraq and Afghanistan? Billions!!

America thrives on bribery and corruption.

And don't even talk about the millions of people America has bombed off this planet in the last 15 years alone... America is the most morally corrupt country on this planet, no other country comes close.
grin[quote author=bittyend]America is sodom and gomorrah, and hell on earth.

u wanna see SODOM N GOMORRAH, try AMSTARDAM in the NETHERLANDS
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by BetaThings: 1:15pm On Jun 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Polygamy, mostly in northern areas. yet i have noticed that very few actually do it. also the USA has plygamy (have ou heard of those mormon christian men having 100 wives)

Child Labour is not a moral issue. it is more of a poverty issue. they have no choice or else they go hungry and die.

Only somebody who does not understand the dynamics of poverty will go on and on about child labour
When Warren Buffet claims to be selling newspapers, chewing gum at age 6 or so, we applaud him
If a 9-year old hawks in Nigeria, it is child labour
Who will feed the boy if he does not hawk. We don't have adequate scheme to cater for all abandoned children or those from very poor homes

If an American couple, legally married brings a third person into the relationship, it is called polyamorous relationship and is applauded for being progressive
If a Nigeria marries a second wife , it is amoral and criminal

If a Nigerian frowns at gay-gotry, because it is abnormal and revolting, it is backward because the moral standard-setters in the US have agreed that it is ok

So when will mental colonialism end
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by abenelo: 1:25pm On Jun 11, 2012
African values are still regarded in Nigeria, the society is governed by some dos and don't s which makes us more predictable than the US where excessive freedom and no cultural values has lead to display of the worst of humanity in social spheres. morality is subjective, I agree so from an african -Christain perspective, Nigeria is more morally sound than the US. We cant answer this question without been ethnocentric.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by 2good(m): 1:26pm On Jun 11, 2012
Dambudzo:

At a certain level morality is objective. They are certain moral principles which l think all societies must abide with.

The problem is your are already being subjective by defining a basic standard. A Christian nation will definitely say it is wrong to be gay. A Muslim nation will say it is punishable by death to insult Allah. While a secular society will say you are free to do anything provided you don't affect other people with your actions. Where do you draw the line?
Hitler thought there are some moral principle which his Nazi regime must abide with part of which is the extermination of the Jews. When people start to impose their believes on others, you will always get a disaster and revolt at some point in time.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by mimifonwon(f): 1:30pm On Jun 11, 2012
these jobless fools.As an American Nigerian we learn integrity, we learn that we are accountable for our acts as young as grade school when you can be sent to detention for being bad.We learn not to use religion as a crutch, we learn that nothing comes easy and that you must work hard to achieve your dreams-especially the american dream, and also you must follow all societal rules or be imprisoned- and as our african parents tell us-they will not bail you out. So in my opinion i will rather raise my kids in america with its ethics and with african mentality and cultural values. See people with logs in their eyes trying to remove the tint in others.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by 2good(m): 1:31pm On Jun 11, 2012
mimifonwon: these jobless fools.As an American Nigerian we learn integrity, we learn that we are accountable for our acts as young as grade school when you can be sent to detention for being bad.We learn not to use religion as a crutch, we learn that nothing comes easy and that you must work hard to achieve your dreams-especially the american dream, and also you must follow all societal rules or be imprisoned- and as our african parents tell us-they will not bail you out. So in my opinion i will rather raise my kids in america with its ethics and with african mentality. See people with logs in their eyes trying to remove the tint in others.

Do you have to call people jobless fool to pass your message across?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by mimifonwon(f): 1:33pm On Jun 11, 2012
2good:

Do you have to call people jobless fool to pass your message across?

my bad, i was harsh
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Orikinla(m): 1:39pm On Jun 11, 2012
[size=48pt]NO.[/size]
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by renzie: 1:40pm On Jun 11, 2012
I find this discussion funny. There seems to be no common ground. Since what i term evil may not be evil for d next person. My question is what then makes us different frm animals. The truth is when man fails to acknowledge the existence of God and His expectations frm us we reduce ourselfs to animals. Nothing is wrong or right for animals. They seem to have no authority over their lives. When ever God is mentioned some people mistakenly conclude we are talking about religion, this is a costly assumption. That's why we have many religions yet one God. U can be so involved in religion and yet not know God.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by redsun(m): 1:47pm On Jun 11, 2012
America may be morally corrupt as per the rule of the game(winner takes all) but nigeria is morally and rationally dead.There are no comparism between the two.Don't even go there.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:48pm On Jun 11, 2012
you are all a bunch of lazy foolz.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by bittyend(m): 1:50pm On Jun 11, 2012
mimifonwon: these jobless fools.As an American Nigerian we learn integrity, we learn that we are accountable for our acts as young as grade school when you can be sent to detention for being bad.We learn not to use religion as a crutch, we learn that nothing comes easy and that you must work hard to achieve your dreams-especially the american dream, and also you must follow all societal rules or be imprisoned- and as our african parents tell us-they will not bail you out. So in my opinion i will rather raise my kids in america with its ethics and with african mentality and cultural values. See people with logs in their eyes trying to remove the tint in others.

Another i/diot.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Dambudzo: 1:55pm On Jun 11, 2012
2good:

The problem is your are already being subjective by defining a basic standard. A Christian nation will definitely say it is wrong to be gay. A Muslim nation will say it is punishable by death to insult Allah. While a secular society will say you are free to do anything provided you don't affect other people with your actions. Where do you draw the line?
Hitler thought there are some moral principle which his Nazi regime must abide with part of which is the extermination of the Jews. When people start to impose their believes on others, you will always get a disaster and revolt at some point in time.

The problem with moral relativism is that it assumes that everyone is correct. That is not the case. It is wrong to kill a man for his own personal opinions; it is wrong to keep slaves; it is wrong to abuse children. I believe these are moral precepts which all civilized societies must follow.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by redsun(m): 2:06pm On Jun 11, 2012
Because immorality equals to morality in naija,animals like obj are out and about,not locked in jail or simply executed for his crimes against humanity.

Even gej or oyedepo in a morally upright society will be jailbirds. Animals in human skin talking about morals.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by VolvoS60(m): 2:14pm On Jun 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

yes it is the village where one wife will have 10 children, but it is NOT the village where one man will have 3 wives. Wives are very expensive especially in Northern villages, even though in many cases Polygamy is allowed. but the TRUTH is that it is very rarely practiced.

as for having many children, it is done because children in the village have very low mortality due to poverty and disease, so they die young. according to their mentality, if you have many children, atleast some will survive and be able to work for the family and the girls will help gain a suitable dowry.

PAGAN 9JA:

Wrong. The Chiefs being intimate bit is very rare and occurs only in some isolated cases. immoral nonetheless, but there are very few Chiefs to start with and majority are not like that.

Polygamy, mostly in northern areas. yet i have noticed that very few actually do it. also the USA has plygamy (have ou heard of those mormon christian men having 100 wives)

Child Labour is not a moral issue. it is more of a poverty issue. they have no choice or else they go hungry and die.

also as i mentioned, i was not referring to the governing bodies. I was referring to the common man, especially the villagers who are very simple and constitute the majority of Nigerian populace.

Overall morality, i would say that Nigeria fares better, though i cannot say anything about the long term.

Sir,

You might want to crosscheck some of your points, sir, about polygyny being allowed but very rarely practiced; wives being 'very expensive' especially in Northern Nigeria; chiefs being intimate being a rare occurence; chiefs being very few to begin with, etc.

Please crosscheck & confirm that you are writing about the Nigeria I know. Or were your comments tongue-in-cheek?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by AjanleKoko: 2:15pm On Jun 11, 2012
This topic only proves one thing: Nigerians are exceedingly self-righteous. So much so it's bordering on the ridiculoys.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by AjanleKoko: 2:15pm On Jun 11, 2012
This topic only proves one thing: Nigerians are exceedingly self-righteous. So much so it's bordering on the ridiculous.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Seunzz(m): 2:18pm On Jun 11, 2012
Each number of the 10Commandments started with 'Thou Shall not'. I believe Morals originated from there. If morals were objective, then there cannot be any law or justice cos' if Mr. A sees murder as bad, Mr. B could see it as okay(if need be).

Zodiac61:

You get me wrong. I am not arguing against objective morals.
However, in my experience everybody seems to to assume that they are more moral than the next man.
This, IMHO, is because when we start talking about morality, we assume that we are all starting from the same place. We are not.
Before we can have a meaningful discussion on morality, we need to define exactly what we mean.
I, for instance, would reject any attempt to define morality in terms of the bible or the koran or the gita.
Should there be one universal objective set of morals? Yes, there should.
Is there one universal objective set of moral acceptable to all? I am afraid that the jury is out on that.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Albert708(m): 2:25pm On Jun 11, 2012
I want you to know that morality have nothing to do with riches and popularity, remember that the people you just mention their name are satanist. The average America child smoke and drink alcohol, many of them have no respect for their parent. America celebrate sex, all the immoral act will see in the world today originated from them.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by ebamma(m): 2:28pm On Jun 11, 2012
america is the devil we know while nigeria is like the angel u do know.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 2:35pm On Jun 11, 2012
Albert708: I want you to know that morality have nothing to do with riches and popularity, remember that the people you just mention their name are satanist. The average America child smoke and drink alcohol, many of them have no respect for their parent. America celebrate sex, all the immoral act will see in the world today originated from them.

A lot of Nigerian politicians' children are cocaine addicts, especially the muslim ones.

Dont worry, I know that you're ignorant
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by nwanioma(f): 2:39pm On Jun 11, 2012
logicboy:

This guy, you are funny. This is what happens in the villages. I go to Naija very often.

Is it not in the village where one woman will have 10 children or one man will have[b] 3 wives[/b]?

Is his American counterpart who has had 3 divorces and 4 children from different women betta? For me we have a higher moral standard in Nigeria than the US. Why? Simply because we are backward, and as morality is something that erodes slowly, as we are backward in technology so is our morality backwards!
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

It's ironic sha. Well-behaved kids who grow up to be looters, scammers, general breakers of laws, etc. undecided
LOL
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jun 11, 2012
@OP
Nonsense! When did we see Nigeria as a law abiding nation? Not because you watch bfs coming out US and use that to conclude Nigeria is better off morally than US.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 3:36pm On Jun 11, 2012
all4naija: @OP
Nonsense! When did we see Nigeria as a law abiding nation? Not because you watch bfs coming out US and use that to conclude Nigeria is better off morally than US.

Where did I say that any country is better?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 11, 2012
logicboy:

Where did I say that any country is better?
Okay. I though that's your intention. I apologize to you.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by luckgames(m): 3:41pm On Jun 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
i believe it is. not everything is bad about this nation. The USA has no morals at all.

i am talking about the common man.

If we have SOME MORALS LOT OF THE PEOPLE STEALING OUR MONEY WILL BE IN JAIL
U.S HAVE BETTER MORALS FOR THE REASON PEOPLE STEALING GOVERNMENT 90% ARE IN JAIL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Best Friend Is Crazy About TB Joshua, Advise Please / The Delusions Of Forgiveness And The Christian Morality. / Are Those People In The Bible Before The Coming Of Jesus Also Going To Heaven?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.