Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,714 members, 7,816,944 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting (31617 Views)

ACCA Nigeria Exemptions ICAN & BSC Accounting / Bsc(ed),business Education Accounting Option. Vs. Bsc Accounting / Bsc Biochemistry Vs Bsc Community Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 6:10pm On Jun 10, 2012
For those who think that HND certificate is not equivalent to/ or better than a Bachelor Degree; how comes HND Accountancy graduates do better in ICAN exams than Bsc Accounting graduates? ICAN records show that most HND Acctancy graduates pass and qualify as chartered Acctants more easily than Bsc Acctng graduates. Pls let's get ur opinion on this.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by tanimola22: 6:27pm On Jun 10, 2012
ishmael: For those who think that HND certificate is not equivalent to/ or better than a Bachelor Degree; how comes HND Accountancy graduates do better in ICAN exams than Bsc Accounting graduates? ICAN records show that most HND Acctancy graduates pass and qualify as chartered Acctants more easily than Bsc Acctng graduates. Pls let's get ur opinion on this.

At the end of the day, it is demand that determines the prices of most goods. Even the best of things, if the demand for them is low, then it is just a matter of time, their prices will come down. This explains why many Russian ladies have no guy to call their own even though these girls are crazily hot and are capable of making some ladies elsewhere look unfortunate.

Although I just stated an obviously trivial fact, I will pause here so that my point is not taken out of context. But I am sure you flow with me.

T22.

1 Like

Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 8:34pm On Jun 10, 2012
tanimola22:
At the end of the day, it is demand that determines the prices of most goods. Even the best of things, if the demand for them is low, then it is just a matter of time, their prices will come down. This explains why many Russian ladies have no guy to call their own even though these girls are crazily hot and are capable of making some ladies elsewhere look unfortunate.
Although I just stated an obviously trivial fact, I will pause here so that my point is not taken out of context. But I am sure you flow with me.

T22.
Yes, i'm flowing with u. Is the demand and supply for quality or quantity? I still need u to talk more on this issue.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by tanimola22: 8:43pm On Jun 10, 2012
ishmael: Yes, i'm flowing with u. Is the demand and supply for quality or quantity? I still need u to talk more on this issue.

You have asked a very nice and well thought out question. We shall wait for the professional accountants in the house to give a better insight as regards your first submission.

Until then, enjoy!

T22

1 Like

Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by adevicks(m): 8:21am On Jun 11, 2012
Where is your source of info? Present the stats (e.g. No of unis and poly grads enrolled and those who qualified, say over the last 10 years) and we know where to start from.

2 Likes

Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 9:15am On Jun 11, 2012
adevicks: Where is your source of info? Present the stats (e.g. No of unis and poly grads enrolled and those who qualified, say over the last 10 years) and we know where to start from.
No source broda, it's "dem say". I want to find out from Accountants if this is true. I have equally seen the quality in HND Acctancy graduates, they are better and more skillful than the Bsc Acctng graduates. I have worked with them before. May be it's a fluke.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by yemmyma: 10:16am On Jun 11, 2012
Of course this is a very good topic where statistics could have been the judge. But in the absence of it, i have also heard things like Polytechnic graduates do well in the ICAN exam or also more particular to Yabatech graduates of Accountancy.

My aunt had her HND in Accountancy from Moshood Abiola Polytechnic with her ICAN PE whatever it is called exam in 1998.She was exempted from the National Diploma. She has worked in the Local Government all her life even before she started the HND. Unfortunately for financial reasons she did not finish the ICAN professional qualification ever since. This HND has hindered her chances of getting to the top her civil service work for a long time. Talking about 16years in the civil service.

In 2007 my aunts boss who had a Masters in Accounting from a top top University in Nigeria bought forms for herself and my aunt to partake in the Association of National Accountant of Nigeria professional exam. During these times my aunt could not study much because she was pregnant. She put to bed two weeks before the examination. When the results came out my aunt passed all her modules earning the qualification at one sitting while her boss did not pass hers.

Like i have said before Nigerian universities and polytechnic are the same. The difference is in the individual

1 Like

Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by nitrogen(m): 10:23am On Jun 11, 2012
yemmy_ma: Of course this is a very good topic where statistics could have been the judge. But in the absence of it, i have also heard things like Polytechnic graduates do well in the ICAN exam or also more particular to Yabatech graduates of Accountancy.

My aunt had her HND in Accountancy from Moshood Abiola Polytechnic with her ICAN PE whatever it is called exam in 1998.She was exempted from the National Diploma. She has worked in the Local Government all her life even before she started the HND. Unfortunately for financial reasons she did not finish the ICAN professional qualification ever since. This HND has hindered her chances of getting to the top her civil service work for a long time. Talking about 16years in the civil service.

In 2007 my aunts boss who had a Masters in Accounting from a top top University in Nigeria bought forms for herself and my aunt to partake in the Association of National Accountant of Nigeria professional exam. During these times my aunt could not study much because she was pregnant. She put to bed two weeks before the examination. When the results came out my aunt passed all her modules earning the qualification at one sitting while her boss did not pass hers.

Like i have said before Nigerian universities and polytechnic are the same. The difference is in the individual
Please forget ANAN, i dont think earning its qualification makes one chartered.

1 Like

Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by yemmyma: 10:28am On Jun 11, 2012
nitrogen:
Please forget ANAN, i dont think earning its qualification makes one chartered.
?

If it does not make one chartered how come a someone with a Masters in Accountancy who is a treasurer in a public office fail to ace it at one sitting

I am not saying ANAN is a top qualification than ICAN but if you read what i wrote earlier my aunt used her ICAN level qualification to qualify directly for HND.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by nitrogen(m): 10:37am On Jun 11, 2012
^ i know.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 3:27pm On Jun 12, 2012
If the HND graduates can have enough knowledge and skills to pass ICAN exams does that not mean that the HND Acctancy is as good as the Bsc Accting?
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 6:18pm On Jul 04, 2012
The poly Accountancy graduates claim they do more accounting courses in the polytechnic than their university counterparts. I want to know if this claim is actually true. Pls accounting students and accountants should say something.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by EnnyP(f): 4:56pm On Jul 05, 2012
Am a graduate of accounting from federal polytechic Ado-ekiti. Its true we do a lot of accounting courses in school. I graduated 2004. While in school, some of our lecturers then were also contract lectures in the then University of Ado. And i can remember they always tells us in class that we do better than our counterparts in UNAD.
Well like someone has pointed out, the difference is in individuals. Its just frustrating the way HND graduates are being treated in Nigeria labour market. After my youth service, i got a job in access bank as a contract staff. The experience wasn't a nice one at all.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 05, 2012
BSc.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by GboyegaD(m): 5:16pm On Jul 05, 2012
ishmael: For those who think that HND certificate is not equivalent to/ or better than a Bachelor Degree; how comes HND Accountancy graduates do better in ICAN exams than Bsc Accounting graduates? ICAN records show that most HND Acctancy graduates pass and qualify as chartered Acctants more easily than Bsc Acctng graduates. Pls let's get ur opinion on this.

I truly do not know who does better although I have always heard it but do not have figures to prove however, I think it has to do more with the individuals involved that their type of degree. One thing that cannot be ruled out is that Polytechnics Students take more Accounting courses than their University counterparts and that I am very sure of.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 5:17pm On Jul 05, 2012
Billyonaire: BSc.
Meaning what?
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 5:22pm On Jul 05, 2012
GboyegaD: One thing that cannot be ruled out is that Polytechnics Students take more Accounting courses than their University counterparts and that I am very sure of.
Then why do Bsc accounting graduates still feel they know better than the HND accounting graduates?
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by Eazeee(m): 5:28pm On Jul 05, 2012
[quote author=EnnyP]Am a graduate of accounting from federal polytechic Ado-ekiti. Its true we do a lot of accounting courses in school. I graduated 2004. While in school, some of our lecturers then were also contract lectures in the then University of Ado. And i can remember they always tells us in class that we do better than our counterparts in UNAD.
Well like someone has pointed out, the difference is in individuals. Its just frustrating the way HND graduates are being treated in Nigeria labour marke

How do u know dat u do more Accounting courses dan d university graduates wen u said u graduated 4rom d polytechnic? wake up dude cos d employers of labour know d difference more dan u. i know a gud number of ND holders dat enter d uni tru Direct entry but yet find it difficult 2 move 2 d next level n some even end up wit a Spill Over so wat do ya say about dat?
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by badaru1(m): 5:35pm On Jul 05, 2012
The reason why you can not equate Bsc to Hnd is the quality of the lecturers,while universities boast of large numbers of professors the poly are filled with Bsc and Hnd holders. Even some polys do not even employ Hnd holders to teach in their schools
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by mikeapollo: 5:41pm On Jul 05, 2012
Have you compared the standard of qualification required for entrance into universities and polytechnics?

Until recently, Nigerian polytechnics were admitting candidates with just 3 credits at WAEC/O Level(even if without Engl/Maths) while Universities dis not compromise on 5 credits at a maximum of 2 sittings. There was also JAMB requirement(very tough in those years) for university admission while the Polytechnics had no entrance exams!

So the standards were different.
University education gives an all-round education in other field related to your discpline, while polytechnics tend to concentrate more on ur discipline.

However, this does not mean that a university student is more intelligent or more brilliant than a poly student. It only means that one is comng from an environment with higher expected standards.
In the end, a poly graduate can do better if he works hard (likewise for a university graduate)
But there should be no controversy.....University education is at a higher level than Poly education. Not only in Nigeria, but worldwide. But the Nigerian situation of unemployment has made everybody to rush for the ultimate choice(university education) in order to have a better chance of securing jobs in the labour market. Both schools play very important roles in the economy/educational sector.

The best universities are almost always a notch higher than the best polytechnics

1 Like

Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by plantation(m): 5:46pm On Jul 05, 2012
Everything stil bores down to individual abilities. A student who found it so difficult to pass thru the University, wil stil not find it easy at the Polytechnic. I believe whether Bsc or HND, the curriculum is the same. However, Is passing ICAN the only parameter for measuring who a good accounting student is? Anyway, i jst think their on-field perfomance should be the ideal parameter. As a Lawyer, i can guarantee that most of those students who came out tops in our days at the nigerian Law School aren't anywhere around a decent and bouyant legal practice today. So like i said earlier, whether it's HND or Bsc, a gud accountant is a gud accountant and a bad one is stil a bad one. I REST MY CASE.

1 Like

Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by betrani(m): 5:50pm On Jul 05, 2012
EnnyP: Am a graduate of accounting from federal polytechic Ado-ekiti. Its true we do a lot of accounting courses in school. I graduated 2004. While in school, some of our lecturers then were also contract lectures in the then University of Ado. And i can remember they always tells us in class that we do better than our counterparts in UNAD.
Well like someone has pointed out, the difference is in individuals. Its just frustrating the way HND graduates are being treated in Nigeria labour market. After my youth service, i got a job in access bank as a contract staff. The experience wasn't a nice one at all.
SO HOW COME WHEN EVER THESE BANKS ADVERTIZE POSITIONS, THEY OFTEN PREFER PEOPLE WITH HND CERTIFICATES, IF THE EXPERIENCE WASN'T A GOOD ONE? IS IT THAT THEY ARE SCARED OF PAYING B.SC HOLDERS LARGER SUMS, HALF OF WHICH THEY WOULD PREFER TO PAY A HND HOLDER OR WHAT? WHAT EXACTLY WAS UR EXPERIENCE? COS I ALWAYS THINK MYSELF; THAT POLYTECHNIC GRADUANDS ARE BETTER TRAINED THAN UNIVERSITY GRADUATES; PRACTICALLY ANYWAY NOT THEORITICALLY!
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by mkoabiola: 5:58pm On Jul 05, 2012
Well,am a product of d polytechinc,precisely kwara poly,without sentiment,most lecturers in d polytechnic ar chartered Accountant,meanwhile dey take lecturing as a partime job,
Also most polytechnic students do tak ICAN xam right frm OND.
Another reason is dat poly take mor courses dan uni,wen I was in my ND2 ibadan poly,I do lecture 3L uni students,
Another reasoin is dat the polytechnic gradutes ar much aware of d discrimation with their counterpart in uni thus prefer to b chartered so as to hav an edge in d labour market.Also most students use d 1yr IT for ICAN studies.frm my own view I think dat is d major factor without being bias.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by Jarus(m): 6:04pm On Jul 05, 2012
One or two HND students/graduates doing exceptionally well in ICAN exams doesnt validate HND accounting holders being deeper than Bsc holders. It would not have been a talking point if a Bsc Accounting holder or Accounting undegrad does well in ICAN, but it will be if an HND did. That alone tells you something. Within my circle of friends alone in teh university, we have 2 people that won Best Qualifying ICAN candidates, within a space of two years. It's normal, you see these things on daily basis in top universities but if you have one or two from Poly, it becomes a national news headline.

I'm sorry if it sounds rude, but it is not for nothing that polytechnic, at least in Nigeria, is a fall-back for university rejects.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by swtbb(f): 6:04pm On Jul 05, 2012
ANAN certificate holders are CERTIFIED, whyl ICAN certificate holders are CHARTERED. pls get dat
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by gaskydudu: 6:15pm On Jul 05, 2012
Well, this is because the HND graduates have more to prove than the BSc Accounting graduates. Check the stats again, i'm sure there is a higher pass rate in no accounting BSc graduates than Accounting. I did not study Accounting in my BSc and i'm a qualified accountant. There are many more of us from Engineering, Sciences and Social Sciences.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by azimibraun: 6:32pm On Jul 05, 2012
B.sc Acct & Hnd Acct in Nigeria both Have somtin in comon and dats they are both bin trained 2 bcom thieves or accessories to stealing.shebi NNPC and d rest get Accountants; hw come subsidy corruption massive lk dis?
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by azimibraun: 6:35pm On Jul 05, 2012
Accountants are tools in the hands of theiving politicains. B.sc or Hnd.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 6:39pm On Jul 05, 2012
mko abiola: Well,am a product of d polytechinc,precisely kwara poly,without sentiment,most lecturers in d polytechnic ar chartered Accountant,meanwhile dey take lecturing as a partime job,
Also most polytechnic students do tak ICAN xam right frm OND.
Another reason is dat poly take mor courses dan uni,wen I was in my ND2 ibadan poly,I do lecture 3L uni students,
Another reasoin is dat the polytechnic gradutes ar much aware of d discrimation with their counterpart in uni thus prefer to b chartered so as to hav an edge in d labour market.Also most students use d 1yr IT for ICAN studies.frm my own view I think dat is d major factor without being bias.
Your view makes more sense than i expected. Did u also pass through the university? You sound like some one that must have passed through both schools.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 7:01pm On Jul 05, 2012
Jarus: One or two HND students/graduates doing exceptionally well in ICAN exams doesnt validate HND accounting holders being deeper than Bsc holders. It would not have been a talking point if a Bsc Accounting holder or Accounting undegrad does well in ICAN, but it will be if an HND did. That alone tells you something. Within my circle of friends alone in teh university, we have 2 people that won Best Qualifying ICAN candidates, within a space of two years. It's normal, you see these things on daily basis in top universities but if you have one or two from Poly, it becomes a national news headline.

I'm sorry if it sounds rude, but it is not for nothing that polytechnic, at least in Nigeria, is a fall-back for university rejects.
It's not just about 1 or 2 HND graduates passing the ICAN exams, it's about majority, say 75% of HND acct graduates qualifying within the shortest period of time. I was made to understand that it's easy for them because most of the topics in the ICAN syllabus were well taught to them in the poly unlike their uni counterparts who struggle to grasp some of these because they are new to them. I have 6 friends/colleagues in my former place of work; they all read accounting. 2 are HND holders while the remaining 4 have Bsc in acct. So far only the 2 HND holders have qualified like 3 or 4 years ago; but till today the other 4 with Bsc are still writing. One of them stopped writing the ICAN exams and said she preferred doing ACCA. She failed almost all the courses she took in her first attempt. As i speak now she is in limbo. Pls believe me as this is a true life situation i am giving to u. I did nt make up this story.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Thread For May 2021 BCS Certificate Exam / With A Capital Of N2M: Should I Relocate To Europe Or Open A Pharmacy In Nigeria / Lagos Bus Conductors To Wear Uniforms From January 1 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.