Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,147 members, 7,835,836 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 3 - Travel (236) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 3 (510949 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) ... (404) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Joe980: 10:19pm On Dec 03, 2012
@effizy; I think EMS connects with UPS...that's my experience so far with them. EMS tracking number links you up to UPS portal from EMS website.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by ezme(m): 10:21pm On Dec 03, 2012
I think we should discuss this from information available on the uploaded denial document.
First ticked reason; Sub-bullet 4 " Family ties in Canada as well as in home country"

Does this mean having strong family ties in Canada and no strong tie in Nigeria may work against an applicant?

I'm beginning to reason in that line as the larger reason is "you not returning after study" and "Family ties" is one of the factors for making such conclusions.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Siga: 10:59pm On Dec 03, 2012
tainzo:

Hey Siga, always to the rescue. My reason for asking is that if i re apply in April 2013 for the Fall semester which should run from September 2013 to August 2014, My Passport would have expired and I was made to understand that you must make sure your travel document is valid for the period of your stay before applying for a visa.
...ur passport can be renewed before expiration....u will be given a study permit at the Port of Entry...so, no wahala...all u need is at least 6months validity ...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Siga: 11:04pm On Dec 03, 2012
ezme: I think we should discuss this from information available on the uploaded denial document.
First ticked reason; Sub-bullet 4 " Family ties in Canada as well as in home country"

Does this mean having strong family ties in Canada and no strong tie in Nigeria may work against an applicant?

I'm beginning to reason in that line as the larger reason is "you not returning after study" and "Family ties" is one of the factors for making such conclusions.
...Visa issuance is basically at the discretion of the issuer....I have seen instances where someone that has ties wella for Canada was issued visa and others were denied....so, with those two scenarios, I can not really say it hurts to have ties in Canada than in Naija or other way....but if you have a job in Naija and able to have a leave of absence letter written for u...that will help...but for those that are young and not working yet....u will have to find a way to show u are heading back after studies.....see, these guys know not everyone is gonna come back ...all na just propaganda on their path....why did they create CEC if they are worried about us leavin after studies....

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by wemi85: 11:05pm On Dec 03, 2012
@ all.Please my friend has collected his medical instructions. The two conditions were one year tuition and he should also pay for board. He is already sorting out the tuition but the problem with the board is that his school George Brown College does not offer on campus accommodation just homestay for anyone who is interested. His parents have two family friends that live in Toronto about 45mins from the school. They are both willing to give him a letter to CDHC saying he can stay with them, send their lease agreement and any other document necessary. My friend will also write a letter to CDHC explaining that his school does not offer on campus accommodation. What do you guys think? Is that a good alternative? Please i need answers oh, his 30days deadline has started counting. Thanks....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by tainzo(m): 11:07pm On Dec 03, 2012
Siga: ...ur passport can be renewed before expiration....u will be given a study permit at the Port of Entry...so, no wahala...all u need is at least 6months validity ...

Thanks bro, you're too much.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Siga: 11:08pm On Dec 03, 2012
wemi85: @ all.Please my friend has collected his medical instructions. The two conditions were one year tuition and he should also pay for board. He is already sorting out the tuition but the problem with the board is that his school George Brown College does not offer on campus accommodation just homestay for anyone who is interested. His parents have two family friends that live in Toronto about 45mins from the school. They are both willing to give him a letter to CDHC saying he can stay with them, send their lease agreement and any other document necessary. My friend will also write a letter to CDHC explaining that his school does not offer on campus accommodation. What do you guys think? Is that a good alternative? Please i need answers oh, his 30days deadline has started counting. Thanks....
....Yea...George Brown is located downtown and nothing like that....he can use the family friends lease and all.....also, advise him to call the school and have them may, not sure, may be write a letter stating there is no boarding on campus....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by laykay(m): 11:31pm On Dec 03, 2012
Hello House, Please I need vital information regarding my case. I have graduated since 09 but traveled to India to study Networking. Got back 2010 with 3 certs and went for NYSC after concluding my NYSC Nov 2011 Ive been searching for a job and yet to find one becus of my 3rd class sad I and my family have sorted I go for a new degree and Im considering Adv Diploma as 2nd Degree to any Uni or Red River College Winnipeg Manitoba. I hope my age (26) and being jobless wont hinder me from getting a visa. please need an Advice. Thanks house, meanwhile i wouldnt mind list of cheap tuition in Canada for Adv Diploma or Bsc in IT Networking related courses.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by effizypo: 12:21am On Dec 04, 2012
laykay: Hello House, Please I need vital information regarding my case. I have graduated since 09 but traveled to India to study Networking. Got back 2010 with 3 certs and went for NYSC after concluding my NYSC Nov 2011 Ive been searching for a job and yet to find one becus of my 3rd class sad I and my family have sorted I go for a new degree and Im considering Adv Diploma as 2nd Degree to any Uni or Red River College Winnipeg Manitoba. I hope my age (26) and being jobless wont hinder me from getting a visa. please need an Advice. Thanks house, meanwhile i wouldnt mind list of cheap tuition in Canada for Adv Diploma or Bsc in IT Networking related courses.

Your academic background is good. A very good sponsor with same surname will be ok. Just make sure your essay is tight.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by bumdish: 4:58am On Dec 04, 2012
ezme:

Australia seems to be a very good option that we could consider, but if you watch Animal Planet/Discovery/National Geography, you would be dead scared of living there. You can't go camping, swimming or doing any other fun outdoor activity. The most dangerous specie of most animals are found there.

I could not but LOL at this. People leaving abroad would probably think Nigeria is a experiencing dooms day already then. At least 3 Australian cities shows up amongst the world's 10 most livable cities. Don't be afraid to explore YOUR world
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by bumdish: 5:05am On Dec 04, 2012
Lord Siga. I can not but acknowledge your sacrificial inputs here.
You can trust Nigerians na, we like giving people title . . . Bros Siga, Oga Siga. I kukuma add my own "Lord Siga". grin . You sound simple, sincere and down to earth and am sure you would prefer to be simply addressed by your name: Siga.
- JTOL
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by bumdish: 5:09am On Dec 04, 2012
newacca: With God on our side,we are forging ahead. All those that have gotten their visa. Congrats. I wish u all d best out there. All those that are awaiting medical and those that have done medicals and r awaiting visa,God that started it will complete his good work. Those that were refused,try again in a different way. Delay is never a denial. Try Plan B if you have. but bear in mind that God has better plans for everyone.
I see the glass cup has half filled rather than half empty. I am in the 12mnth of my treatment. 12months gone,6mnths remaining. GOD is my strength. I miss all u guyz here. I am back again!!! smiley cool
Your spirit inspires. God will perfect what He has started in your life.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by bumdish: 5:19am On Dec 04, 2012
wemi85: @ all.Please my friend has collected his medical instructions. The two conditions were one year tuition and he should also pay for board. He is already sorting out the tuition but the problem with the board is that his school George Brown College does not offer on campus accommodation just homestay for anyone who is interested. His parents have two family friends that live in Toronto about 45mins from the school. They are both willing to give him a letter to CDHC saying he can stay with them, send their lease agreement and any other document necessary. My friend will also write a letter to CDHC explaining that his school does not offer on campus accommodation. What do you guys think? Is that a good alternative? Please i need answers oh, his 30days deadline has started counting. Thanks....
Siga: ....Yea...George Brown is located downtown and nothing like that....he can use the family friends lease and all.....also, advise him to call the school and have them may, not sure, may be write a letter stating there is no boarding on campus....
Wonderful move your friend is making already, very nice suggestion from Siga and just to add on top, I would have advised your friend to mails the school instead of calling, he can then add the email correspondence to the other documents he is sending to CDHC. That way, his calms would have more validity. Let him also look around for any credible information on the internet (say, the school's website) showing there isn't any accommodation on-campus, print and attach. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by galala123(m): 7:00am On Dec 04, 2012
effizypo:

@Alezdegrt: 2yrs college Diploma in Business mgt
@Siga: thanks but how does one do the tracking? I will appreciate a guide please.
@Galala123: thanks for those info. Please what bank did you use? I thought the school is suppose to bear the bank charges. My bank is GTBank I may have to find out. Galala123 if I may ask, like how much did the bank charge you for doing that then? Please I need answers
@Joe980: how can one track EMS via UPS never heard of that.

My Bank is UBA Plc. I will go through my statement later to get the exact figures. I believe I paid in a cheque of about CAD12,800 and was credited with about USD12,3+ (seems they further took yet another fee from this amount again- will get the figures later).
I lost CAD500 non refundable accomodation deposit also. In fact the school got the non-refundable fee, CDHC got non refundable visa fee, VFS got their processing fee, DHL got their own share, the hotel I stayed in when I went to submit in Lagos got their own fee, transport company got their own, Bank got their own initial transfer fee + Bank draft for CDHC fee, and also got commission on clearing international money order and even corresponding bank got their own too. Na only me no get my own for the transaction oh! BuT the struggle continues. I did not submit for winter 2013 but, the tension is killing me as I wait eagerly for positive feedback for our peeps waiting for medicals invite. It is not an easy process which perhaps makes it all the more "worth it" if you succeed.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by iluminati: 7:05am On Dec 04, 2012
@ Wemi85, never you submit any document from somebody in canada proofing that u will stay with them in toronto. My reason is this.. U must have stated in ur form that u dont hace relatives or family member in canada. 2. cDHC will check the staus of those ur people accommodating u there and maybe they went as student or visiting and stayed and never came back so cdhc will feel they will influence u or u have relative but u are hidding it b4. 3. Your best solution is.. Just get a letter from george brown that they dont offer campus accommodation and print out their site where it is proven there also write a letter that george brown only offer home stay and u cannot pay for home stay untill the family u are going to stay with sees u live. This will help.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by jman77(m): 8:21am On Dec 04, 2012
@siga,pls throw more light on "LEAVE OF ABSENCE LETTER",is it applicable in civil service?,how many year(s) in service for one to be eligible to it? Or how?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by newacca: 9:30am On Dec 04, 2012
bumdish:
Your spirit inspires. God will perfect what He has started in your life.
Thanks Bro. and hw r u doing?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by newacca: 9:34am On Dec 04, 2012
effizypo:

Your academic background is good. A very good sponsor with same surname will be ok. Just make sure your essay is tight.
On point.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by newacca: 9:36am On Dec 04, 2012
iluminati: @ Wemi85, never you submit any document from somebody in canada proofing that u will stay with them in toronto. My reason is this.. U must have stated in ur form that u dont hace relatives or family member in canada. 2. cDHC will check the staus of those ur people accommodating u there and maybe they went as student or visiting and stayed and never came back so cdhc will feel they will influence u or u have relative but u are hidding it b4. 3. Your best solution is.. Just get a letter from george brown that they dont offer campus accommodation and print out their site where it is proven there also write a letter that george brown only offer home stay and u cannot pay for home stay untill the family u are going to stay with sees u live. This will help.
Exactly my thought.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by J20: 10:39am On Dec 04, 2012
iluminati: @ J20 i booked Ethiopia airline at 201k for dec 28th. How much did u book air canada to newfoundland? How did u reserve accommodation in memorial uni?

210K for return or one-way?
Aircanada to Newfoundland from Toronto depends on the time slot you are picking; mine was about $850 for return but you can check their site to select the appropriate time you want and you can book one way.
For accommodation, I applied for campus accommodation in July and I just got an offer last week. Prior to getting the offer I had checked through the MUN website, off campus housing site to see what was on offer and also the mymun.ca site to see students who were looking for flat mates. I also check through kijiji.ca. There are so many rooms to let on those sites but the school warns that it is better to inspect the property before making payment.
For temporary accommodation I got a hostel in St John's that I can stay for a day or two till the hostel opens but I may be allowed to stay before the hostels open if I arrive early but there will be no catering services till 5th Jan.

The research for flights and accommodation is even almost as tedious as the visa process.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by kayce43: 10:40am On Dec 04, 2012
kayce43: UPDATED MEDICAL AWAITEES BY GODS GRACE/
7 of us remaining now
@OmosanyaOlak 3rd August
@bryanhumber 15th August
@mercylicious- Sept 13th
@eldred the don - Sept 13th
@Xtus- Sept 18th
@kayce 43 -Sept 19th
@adexcube - sept 24th (flight School)

STAY POSITIVE IT IS WELL. GODS GRACE BE WITH US

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by J20: 10:42am On Dec 04, 2012
Siga: ...nice enough time...what date?
1st Jan
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by adim02: 10:45am On Dec 04, 2012
jman77: @siga,pls throw more light on "LEAVE OF ABSENCE LETTER",is it applicable in civil service?,how many year(s) in service for one to be eligible to it? Or how?
Broda is applicable to all civil servant ok.is a letter that your boss in the office should write telling CDHC that they have given you study leave with pay and after your studies that you are going to come back to your job and put your experience gathered will go a long way to improve the ministry were you work.I my self is also a worker which i have inform my boss only what am waiting is the to submit my application against fall 2013.cheer
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by J20: 10:46am On Dec 04, 2012
@Kayce43
I join you in prayers. God will do it
Remain expectant.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by kayce43: 11:21am On Dec 04, 2012
J20: @Kayce43
I join you in prayers. God will do it
Remain expectant.
Amen. Thanks broda
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by iluminati: 11:25am On Dec 04, 2012
@ J20 its 201k not 210k i book one way not return. I wrote memorial and they said accommodation is full. I have book air canada to st john on 29th dec by 8.30am cos the flight from naija will arrive at 6.30am. Pls which other good link can u give me so that i can book off camp accommodation since campus accommodation is filled up.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by effizypo: 11:38am On Dec 04, 2012
galala123:

My Bank is UBA Plc. I will go through my statement later to get the exact figures. I believe I paid in a cheque of about CAD12,800 and was credited with about USD12,3+ (seems they further took yet another fee from this amount again- will get the figures later).
I lost CAD500 non refundable accomodation deposit also. In fact the school got the non-refundable fee, CDHC got non refundable visa fee, VFS got their processing fee, DHL got their own share, the hotel I stayed in when I went to submit in Lagos got their own fee, transport company got their own, Bank got their own initial transfer fee + Bank draft for CDHC fee, and also got commission on clearing international money order and even corresponding bank got their own too. Na only me no get my own for the transaction oh! BuT the struggle continues. I did not submit for winter 2013 but, the tension is killing me as I wait eagerly for positive feedback for our peeps waiting for medicals invite. It is not an easy process which perhaps makes it all the more "worth it" if you succeed.

Too bad. See what people suffer in Nigeria. I dont know why these high commissions discourage honest applicants. I wont spend 2million naira to arrange and get a Canadian visit visa and claim assylum or marry whity take get papers if I wanted to. But I dont need it. Most study applicants are legits. yes they may stay back but they chose to do it the legitimate way. Anyway sorry about the loss. I dont think GT will charge as much though.

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by omosanyaolak(m): 11:56am On Dec 04, 2012
[quote author=kayce43][/quote]
lets see what CDHC will do this week.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by kayce43: 11:58am On Dec 04, 2012
omosanyaolak:
lets see what CDHC will do this week.
honestly dunno y they havent called u and bryan humber dat submitted august, hopefully y'all get ur calls ds week by Gods grace, who did u use as sponsor?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by dungar4: 12:28pm On Dec 04, 2012
These guys @ CDHC are bent on siphoning the little cash in the pockets of struggling Nigerians. My advice to all of you experiencing difficulty there is that you divert your attention to other countries. You will get your visa fast and move out of Naija.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by J20: 12:47pm On Dec 04, 2012
iluminati: @ J20 its 201k not 210k i book one way not return. I wrote memorial and they said accommodation is full. I have book air canada to st john on 29th dec by 8.30am cos the flight from naija will arrive at 6.30am. Pls which other good link can u give me so that i can book off camp accommodation since campus accommodation is filled up.

Try the (1) MUN website, log into mymun, go to General Services Link and you will see students looking for flatmates

(2) Also on MUN website go to housing, check the off campus housing and see students looking for flat mates and landlords looking to rent houses

(3) or this http://stjohns.kijiji.ca/f-real-estate-room-rental-roommates-W0QQCatIdZ36

There are several rooms/houses available for rent on these sites but as advised by the school authority do not make any payment until you have inspected the place and checked the distance to the campus also the payment terms for utilities.

What I will advise is to book temporary accommodation in hihostel for a few days and you/your cousin can use the few days to inspect the houses/rooms available for rent. Seems very easy when reading it o. I hope it is as easy when we get there.
Hihostel website - http://www.hihostels.ca/
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by uchechuwku: 12:50pm On Dec 04, 2012
effizypo:

Too bad. See what people suffer in Nigeria. I dont know why these high commissions discourage honest applicants. I wont spend 2million naira to arrange and get a Canadian visit visa and claim assylum or marry whity take get papers if I wanted to. But I dont need it. Most study applicants are legits. yes they may stay back but they chose to do it the legitimate way. Anyway sorry about the loss. I dont think GT will charge as much though.

bro, you read my mind.
dey make it harder for some/most genuine students. dem go begin dey shout if we decide to use other means like 'breakin someone's heart

PS- has anyone seen LILLAOWOW. he seems to have gone on vacation after CDHC made LACASERA sour for him mouth.
funny guy, e no gree add me for him friends list

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) ... (404)

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.