Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,696 members, 7,955,629 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:23 AM

Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! (12101 Views)

White People Playing the country of Western Nigeria Yoruba Games Of Ayo / GEJ, PDP Setting Confusion In Southwest Nigeria-yoruba Elders' Council. / NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 5:14pm On Jun 18, 2012
The Middle Niger and Middle Benue States are what we commonly call middle belt states. They serve more as natural forts of defense for the Hausa North. In mountainous terrains old civilizations settled in valleys. The mountain sides provide natural shield of defense against enemy attack. Similarly in flatlands, in ancient times, people settled on hilltops to get advantage against enemy attack. The Niger and Benue basins and their states are geo-political zones shielding the Northern Islamic frontiers against political agitations lobbed from the South.

The Middle Belt's power is nothing but a dying residual from the military legacy of the 50s, 60s and 70s. They lack political resolve and direction for independent determination exclusive of the Islamic North.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by nduchucks: 5:22pm On Jun 18, 2012
Dudu_Negro: The Middle Niger and Middle Benue States are what we commonly call middle belt states. They serve more as natural forts of defense for the Hausa North. In mountainous terrains old civilizations settled in valleys. The mountain sides provide natural shield of defense against enemy attack. Similarly in flatlands, in ancient times, people settled on hilltops to get advantage against enemy attack. The Niger and Benue basins and their states are geo-political zones shielding the Northern Islamic frontiers against political agitations lobbed from the South.

The Middle Belt's power is nothing but a dying residual from the military legacy of the 50s, 60s and 70s. They lack political resolve and direction for independent determination exclusive of the Islamic North.

Come o, are we discussing the Songhai empire ni, abi we are talking of modern day Nigeria? Which natural fort of defense are you talking about? Do you realize that we no longer need to protect our cities with walls like those which protected Zazzau and that our dear nation is called Nigeria?

Anyway, go on. I dey gbadun you so far, but don't stray too far away.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 12:27am On Jun 19, 2012
I agree _Chucks, in reality we no longer erect physical structures for line of defense or necessarily locate on natural terrains for that sole purpose but where they exist, their effectiveness in delaying and exploiting the enemy is indispensable.

The Niger/Benue basin, in modern time is still a viable geopolitical asset for tactical defense, however, my use of it in the post is an analogy to represent a virtual political shield against vulnerabilities in the North.

The Northerner appreciate the loyalty they enjoy from the middle belt, the ties of alliance is almost inextricable. In exchange for support to the North, the middle belt is rewarded with state creations, military and civil service appointments and the opportunity to share in the ruling class, an otherwise unachievable position without this sponsorship from the North.

Left to its own destiny, the middle belt will sink in the political storm. It is propped up on the wings of the Islamic North and so in the face of repeated violence and targeted attacks against its majority Christian citizens, it maintains its membership in the Arewa Forum.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by shymex(m): 2:28am On Jun 19, 2012
Interesting read, Chief Dudu_Negro. cool
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 6:44pm On Jun 22, 2012
Now, I already gave the northen leg of the tripod to the Fulani. Even though there are legitimate flagbearers in the middlebelt, there is no tripod leg for them. This will take us to the East.

I know some of you will say what about the South South. As far as Negro is concerned, the xonal areas were scams created by PDP for its own political advantage. It divided the East and splintered the South but changed nothing on the ground for the Yorubas or the Fulanis. Politically, Yoruba is still Yoruba whether you call it South West zone or Western zone, our destiny is one. Hausaland is still united whether you call it Northwest zone, North central zone or North Eastern zone. . . they still form a united front in their political outlook. The only exception to the rule is the Eastern zone. Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Rivers no longer see themselves as Easterners, they have a new identity and political destiny severed from that of the neighboring Igbos. There is just one leg remaining to complete the three legs for this Aro Meta that will support our political cauldron. So who gets it, South or East?

more to come. . . .
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by Ngodigha1(m): 9:56pm On Jun 22, 2012
Dudu_Negro: Now, I already gave the northen leg of the tripod to the Fulani. Even though there are legitimate flagbearers in the middlebelt, there is no tripod leg for them. This will take us to the East.

I know some of you will say what about the South South. As far as Negro is concerned, the xonal areas were scams created by PDP for its own political advantage. It divided the East and splintered the South but changed nothing on the ground for the Yorubas or the Fulanis. Politically, Yoruba is still Yoruba whether you call it South West zone or Western zone, our destiny is one. Hausaland is still united whether you call it Northwest zone, North central zone or North Eastern zone. . . they still form a united front in their political outlook. The only exception to the rule is the Eastern zone. Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Rivers no longer see themselves as Easterners, they have a new identity and political destiny severed from that of the neighboring Igbos. There is just one leg remaining to complete the three legs for this Aro Meta that will support our political cauldron. So who gets it, South or East?

more to come. . . .
The nonsense above is very laughable. Till now you and your croonies have not told us your aims in nairaland. Anyhow, the devil is a liar. The above idiotic post from Dudu did not even testify that what is south south today is not only carved out from the east but from the west also. The groups carved out from the west were the first to reject the west led by yorubas and in 64' they got their own state. They never believed in the west. While groups in the north central has since Fodio regime rejected the Hausa-Fulani oligarch.
In another thread, I told one American that there is nothing for her to learn in nairaland. This is because nairalanders such as Dudu and his cohorts are bloody liars.Shameless bunch.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 5:12am On Jun 23, 2012
Ngo,

Someone, an Igbo, suggested at the beginning of this thread that all Igbo people, including you, must ignore and not respond on this thread. You are not following leadership! I suggest you follow your leader's advise.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by PhysicsQED(m): 8:24am On Jun 23, 2012
Dudu Negro: In this regard, we will look at the Kanuris and the Yorubas, kins by ancestral roots

Can you explain what connection you think there is between Yoruba and Kanuri exactly and why you think there's a connection.

I've seen literally nothing to suggest a connection but you keep insisting on it. The explanation you gave before didn't make much sense to me.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 6:51pm On Jun 24, 2012
Physics,

You keep searching for a needle in a haystack. What is your obsession with bringing disrepute to the Yoruba commonwealth or dismissing who we say we are related with? How about you spend this time finding more about Ogisos before the Ife Prince came to rule over them. I think that will serve a better purpose for you.

Anyway, for the moment I know you don't respect Afrocentric answer to your numerous questions, so I will gring you references from European scholars and their findings on the close relationship between Yoruba and Kanuri, and even all the way to the Ewes in Volta region. If these references do not satisfy your inquiries then please open a new topic to discuss the Yoruba-Kanuri connection. Let's put it to rest so you can free yourself to go do other important things my brother.

Early sources on African ideophones, part IV: S.W. Koelle on Kanuri, 1854
Posted on September 18, 2009

It is high time for a continuation of our series honouring the ancestors of ideophone studies. Sigismund Wilhelm Koelle is one of the founding fathers of African linguistics, and 1854 was one of his more productive years. In the same year, besides his Kanuri grammar (from which the excerpt below is taken), he issued what may be called a corpus of Kanuri folklore, a grammar of Vai, and the first large-scale comparison of some 200 African languages, the famed Polyglotta Africana. Here is what he has to write about ideophones in Kanuri:

§289. The Kanuri language has a peculiar kind of adverbs, which we may call specific or confined adverbs, each being confined in its use to one or a few particular adjectives or their denominative verbs, as illustrated in the following examples. These singular adverbs which seem to be common in African languages, as they exist also in the Aku and Vei, have something in their nature which may be compared to the onomatopoetica, or something in which the immediate, instinctive sense of language particularly manifests itself. They are eminently expressions of feelings (German, Gefühlsworte), or manifestations of vague impressions rather than of clearly defined ideas. (p. 283)

As might be expected from someone who handled so many different languages, Koelle rightly hypothesized that ideophones would be a feature shared by many African languages. Note that Aku is an old term for Yoruba, the language for which Vidal had claimed independently that “This singular feature of the Yoruba language is unique, and therefore I shall not waste time in comparing it with the adverbial systems, whatever they may be, of other African languages.”

As it happens, this singular feature of Yoruba would turn out to be not so unique among African languages. With Kanuri joining Yoruba (Vidal 1852) and Ewe (Schlegel 1857), we now have three independent claims from the 1850′s on the significance of ideophones in three major African languages. Although I do not exclude the possibility of finding yet earlier sources, things are starting to look like we may justifiably call this period the decade of the discovery of ideophones in Africa.

From GLOBAL PEACE on the Title ODUDUWA AND YORUBA REVOLUTION IN WORLD HISTORY and dated Monday, March 15, 2010

GLOTTO-CHRONOLOGY AND THE PRESENT LINGUISTIC MAPPINGS
Geographically, the Yoruba people can be found around the Niger-Benue confluence at the Northeast limit. Dialects such as Kabba, Yagba and Oworo are present there. They occupy most of Kwara state and the whole of the South-West geopolitical zone in Nigeria. Yoruban peoples are also present in Benin republic and southern Togo.. The Aja, the Ewe and Ga peoples can be considered as Yoruba, or at least, some of their founding fathers spoke Yoruboid language or practiced Yorubic culture. The Itsekiri ethnic group of Delta, and Edo states, the Kanuri of the Chad basin, Igala of Kogi and the Ebbu and Olukumi of the Delta state of Nigeria are also Yoruban peoples. So, today, the Yoruban peoples, the Yorubic culture and the Yoruboid languages stretch from the Ramos and Dodo rivers in the north western fringe of Bayelsa State to the Ga of Accra area of modern Ghana. They are also found in Sierra Leone and other parts of the subcontinent.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by PhysicsQED(m): 8:55pm On Jun 24, 2012
Negro,

When an association is claimed between two distinct peoples by someone (such as yourself) from one of those groups, there should be some effort made to verify that the supposed connection is held to be valid by people from the other group and an explanation for why should be given. You worry about whether I would accept Afrocentric or Eurocentric sources, but if you could provide Kanuri sources alleging a connection - any kind of connection - I would easily accept your hypothesis. Anything from the 17th century or earlier to the present day from Kanuri would be welcome.

Ideophones are a linguistic characteristic found across a variety of African languages including other "Volta-Niger" languages besides Yoruba and not just the three languages mentioned in that article and the speakers of those languages are not automatically connected in recent origin. I think you know Kanuri and Yoruba are quite distinct linguistically so I'm not sure why you posted that article about Koelle and Kanike.

The second source you posted "ODUDUWA AND YORUBA REVOLUTION IN WORLD HISTORY" although generally interesting, is marred by the errors, distortions, and selective and misleading uses of sources that crop up in the article. The assertion in there of a Yoruba-Kanuri connection is just that - an assertion. No explanation is given at all.

My earlier objection to your use of Sultan Bello's story about the origin of the Yoruba from Iraq to try to connect Yoruba to Kanuri is based on two things.

1st, Bello is not a particularly reliable source on origins. In fact Bello could not even put forward a plausible suggestion for the origin of the Hausa:

books.google.com/books?id=xPd0oj1t53oC&pg=PA35

2nd, Bello actually discusses the origin of the Kanuri and claims they are of Berber origin (note that this is a different from what the Kanuri themselves believed). He does not claim an affinity between the Yoruba and the Kanuri in origin although he discusses both groups and their purported origins, yet you were trying to use his writings to support your claims of an affinity between Yoruba and Kanuri in origin.

This is why I said your earlier claim did not make much sense to me.

The only thing I see as unfortunate is that there do not seem to be many Kanuri on Nairaland for even a few to be able to inform you of how the Kanuris see themselves in relation to other groups and what they and their ancestors and scholars actually believed about their origin. Instead you have to pull them in from out of nowhere to rope them into histories where they serve merely as an appendage to your group for the purposes of your particular historical agenda.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 9:11pm On Jun 24, 2012
Physics,

To those unaware of the beginning of this argument it would seem you have a point but to those who are familiar with where this issue took its beginning, we know nothing, no explanation satisfies you.

I gave Afrocentric view, you said it was oral fable and had no scholarship backing. I gave Eurocentric view from scholars you said they were repeating what Muhammad Bello said. I gave you records from studies on ideophones that singled out Yoruba Kanuri and Ewe as interconnected, you disputed their conclusions. . . you flawed report of the Global Peace blog. Now you ask for a supporting claim from the other side - the Kanuri side -. . . dude, open a new topic for this discussion please. I hope when I quote credible accounts from their own regents and princes you will finally shut up.

Open a new topic to get what you ask for.. . .that way we have a point of reference going forward.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by nduchucks: 9:31pm On Jun 24, 2012
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by PhysicsQED(m): 9:37pm On Jun 24, 2012
Dudu_Negro: Physics,

To those unaware of the beginning of this argument it would seem you have a point but to those who are familiar with where this issue took its beginning, we know nothing, no explanation satisfies you.

I gave Afrocentric view, you said it was oral fable and had no scholarship backing. I gave Eurocentric view from scholars you said they were repeating what Muhammad Bello said. I gave you records from studies on ideophones that singled out Yoruba Kanuri and Ewe as interconnected, you disputed their conclusions. . . you flawed report of the Global Peace blog. Now you ask for a supporting claim from the other side - the Kanuri side -. . . dude, open a new topic for this discussion please. I hope when I quote credible accounts from their own regents and princes you will finally shut up.

Open a new topic to get what you ask for.. . .that way we have a point of reference going forward.

1. The "Afrocentric view" you gave originally mentioned Kanuri? It seems like you appended that later on.
2. Bello does not say what you're saying. He does not argue for an affinity between Kanuri and Yoruba in origin or in another way.
3. You don't seem to understand what ideophones are. Ideophones are everywhere in languages including other Nigerian languages. That three particular languages were studied in one very early decade in the linguistic study of African languages by Europeans does not somehow show a deep relation between those three languages.
4. I'm already familiar with what some Kanuri claimed for their origin. My reference to you providing Kanuri accounts corroborating what you said was for you to provide supporting evidence for your particular historical view, not for me to be informed of old Kanuri traditions of origin (which are already known).
5. The issue is not sufficiently interesting to merit opening a new thread. I just wanted one simple and direct answer that provides strong evidence of a connection. If you can't be bothered do that, fine. I'll leave you to continue your thread on Aro Meta and politics.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 10:05pm On Jun 24, 2012
Physics,

You always give up. I don't like that about you. Stand your ground and see your fight to the end. I maintain that Yoruba is related to Kanuri and I will continue to say it, whether you like it or not. If you have information that states otherwise, then present it in a new topic, otherwise stop this bad belle about Yoruba claims and move on. I love to share knowledge. . . it would be a great pleasure to bring something new to you that you had no knowledge existed.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by Ufeolorun(m): 10:16pm On Jun 24, 2012
DUdu oo grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by PhysicsQED(m): 10:57pm On Jun 24, 2012

You always give up. I don't like that about you. Stand your ground and see your fight to the end.

If I "always give up" I would have stayed quiet and I wouldn't have brought the question up again would I? grin

I just don't want to further disrupt your interesting thread on politics with all this other stuff. Carry on and expect no further interruptions from me (although I can't promise that I won't bring up the "Kanuri question" on another day, in another place). wink
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 12:10am On Jun 25, 2012
I will keep answering you as many times you ask for info on the connection, however I think you have a ulterior motive. If its a waste of time and does not merit your time to open a new topic today, why would it not be so going forward?

Your problem is an extension of the headache in Bini court - it is universally accepted that the Bini throne was created by an Ife prince. This jealousy has obsessed you. I have challenged you many times to open a new topic and get your dispute cleared, besides, the post also will serve as reference point in search engines when people need to know this connection between Yoruba and Kanuri. You are a quitter if you fail to open a new topic on it.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by PhysicsQED(m): 12:36am On Jun 25, 2012
It's a waste of time to go back the Bini issue because I already made my position on that clear a while back although now I'm not sure if you understood it. I don't see what the connection would be between my view on that issue and this Kanuri stuff. If the migrations you think happened had somehow actually happened, it wouldn't affect my position on the Bini issue in any way.

My interest on the Yoruba-Kanuri issue was awakened when you posted it, because I have an interest in pre-colonial African history. I've read up on Igala, Jukun, Ijaw, Songhai, and others although I have no direct ethnic connection to those groups. Now I'm hearing for the first time after already reading up on Kanuri that Kanuri and Yoruba share the same origin and it's starting to sound a bit like that story from you about dan Fodio's mother being from a certain ethnic group. undecided

I won't bother about a thread because it will not serve as a reference point for anyone since people who want to know about Kanuri origins will go to the Kanuri and their writers and find out for themselves.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 12:50am On Jun 25, 2012
Its not the first time you have heard it from me and asked for clarification and this will not be the first or second time I have given you answers on it. But you keep coming back, unsatisfied.

1. Oral accounts were given to you, you said it is not credible.
2. I gave you academic report on it, you said it is biased.
3. I quoted what Bello said, you said Bello is insane.
4. I gave you Clapperton's report, you said it is a repeat of insane Bello.
5. I brought you two separate and independent accounts today, yet, you are unsatisfied.

You are uncredible in your motive to know. . . Your excuse of wanting to know is a veil for something else emotionally disturbing to you.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by PhysicsQED(m): 1:25am On Jun 25, 2012
I think you know very well that points 1 through 5 are just your interpretations of my positions but are not actually exactly what I wrote. I have no serious issue with Bello's theorizing by the way, and definitely don't consider him insane.

Your perception of my questions is based on some bizarre belief that this story of a migration of Yorubas from "AfroAsia" - a story which I have not even disputed in this thread - somehow negates what I have written earlier about Bini and Ife. What I am telling you is that if the migration were true - let's assume it was - it would not affect in any way what I wrote anywhere about Benin and Ife. Get it? The basis of my view for whatever I've posted about Benin and Ife is not based on negating the account of the migration of Yorubas from Iraq or Egypt or Canaan or wherever else and if the migration had happened 100% down to the way it was narrated by Bello it wouldn't alter what I wrote about Benin and Ife because what I wrote is based on something entirely different.

The issue here for me as far as the Kanuri is when you try to rope distinct groups in for the purpose of crafting the particulars of this history without giving any good reasons for doing so.

By the way, you keep referring to emotions and stuff but between the two of us, I'm far more calm in any discussions we've had. I think you need to stop looking for emotional motives where there are none and stop interpreting this as a "fight". Like I said, if you can't provide a direct answer, just continue with your thread.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 1:33am On Jun 25, 2012
Dude, go and sit down somewhere. . . don't spoil the mood for my smoothie. cool
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by PhysicsQED(m): 1:43am On Jun 25, 2012

You always give up. I don't like that about you. Stand your ground and see your fight to the end.

I will keep answering you as many times you ask for info on the connection

Dude, go and sit down somewhere. . . don't spoil the mood for my smoothie.

lol, I think you're confusing yourself buddy grin grin

Anyway, carry on with your thread. . .
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by AustineE1: 8:11am On Jun 25, 2012
One thing i find funny on Nairaland this days is that,80% of the threads by yorubas are either trying to portray the yoruba race as achievers or superior to others....but on the second thought why wld anyone work-up his or herself doing this!for God sake me i honestly think this is inferiority complex of the highest order and grave sense of insecurity by a tribe of people!pls you dont need to force people into believing your tribalistic fantasies,talk is cheap,in the real world we know who the lazy,unambitious under achievers are and we also know the industrious and ambitious tribe!...pls some people shld just get themselves a life.A million thread and write-ups cannot change the truth,reality will always hold,i guess this whole preaching on Nairaland by yorubas is as result of high unemploymnt rate,wasting meaningful time that shld be applied in other ventures on being cyber warriors!goodluck
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by edogirl2: 12:29pm On Jun 25, 2012
Actually, I disagree with you, like Igbos, Yorubas are great achievers and to say they have inferiority complex! Oh Please.

Also, how many times have we seen Igbo chest-beaters on nairaland telling us if it wasn't for the 'industrious' and 'brave' Igbos the rest of us would still be living on trees since we are too daft to workout how to import from China, Brazil, USA, Europe and possibbly Timbuktu.

Some have even told us that if Igbos secede from Nigeria, the country's economy would collapse and people wld go begging on the streets. Aww---Igbos, lovely people, but rarely able to acknowledge other peoples' achievements and contributions.

If you disagree with Mr Dudu, you might want to address the point s, rather than telling us his tribe is lazy. Who believes that?
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jun 25, 2012
^^^^Thank you, sister...

The tribe of moaners, and chest beaters have been exposed again.. It's funny how a tribe with no traditional attire that's exclusive to them, and no none civilization will always be the one to talk the loudest..

These people are annoying and pathetic!! I've searched everywhere for Igbo civilization and empire - and I'm yet to find any.. Very funny people! undecided
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 3:20pm On Jun 25, 2012
edo.girl:
Actually, I disagree with you, like Igbos, Yorubas are great achievers and to say they have inferiority complex! Oh Please.

Also, how many times have we seen Igbo chest-beaters on nairaland telling us if it wasn't for the 'industrious' and 'brave' Igbos the rest of us would still be living on trees since we are too daft to workout how to import from China, Brazil, USA, Europe and possibbly Timbuktu.

Some have even told us that if Igbos secede from Nigeria, the country's economy would collapse and people wld go begging on the streets. Aww---Igbos, lovely people, but rarely able to acknowledge other peoples' achievements and contributions.

If you disagree with Mr Dudu, you might want to address the point s, rather than telling us his tribe is lazy. Who believes that?

waado my sister! kiss kiss kiss
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 3:25pm On Jun 25, 2012
PhysicsQED:

lol, I think you're confusing yourself buddy grin grin

Anyway, carry on with your thread. . .

. . . for you, I dismissed you with my last remark but you confused with quitting. Open a new topic please, Im begging you so I can give you what you want on Yoruba-Kanuri brotherhood.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 4:29pm On Jun 25, 2012
The creation of Rivers and Cross River States in 1967 was effective in partially diluting power and diminishing a blanket Ndigbo authority over the entire Eastern region but that authority recovered after the war, though the power had died.

From 1967 onward the country had abandoned regional governments and adopted States of the Federation. As at 1991, the former Eastern region had Anambra, Imo, Cross River, Akwa Ibom and Rivers satates. Between 1991 and 1996 two more states, Anambra and Abia, were created out of Enugu and Imo. In 1996 Ebonyi was created and Bayelsa was added. Up until the creation of the 6 geo-political zones in 1999, the Easterners, in the national conscience, were were made up of Igbos, Ibibios, Kalabaris, Anangs, Efiks, Ijaws and Ogonis and other subgroups in the area.

On the question of whether Port Harcourt was in the East or not, everybody knew where it was. The politics of zoning changed that.

If you look on the geopolitical map today it is evident to see that whatever remote authority Ndigbo previously had in its region is completely eroded and handed to another ethnic group. From a geo-economic standpoint, Igboland is in same position of dependency that the North is in, or worse.

More to come. . . See geo map attachment below.

Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 6:43pm On Jun 25, 2012
In trying to manage the national identity crisis we ended up committing the same evils that we accused our colonial masters of doing to us. Let us review the formation of the South-South zone.

If you look on the map I attached with the above post you will see that the South South region is primarily the Niger Delta basin and the oil producing region. Back in 1963, by an order of decree, Nnamdi Azikiwe wanting to spite Awolowo and the Yorubas, carved off MidWestern region from the Western region and thus reduced the span of political authority and economic viability for the Western region. With a reduced ability to compete, politically and economically, the Easterner calculated a future of dominance over the West and ultimately over the North. Azikiwe said the Midwesterners had a memorandum declaring their wish to be severed from the Yorubas.

Abiola was not expected to win the 1993 election. It had been staged to end in power tussle and not landslide victory for any one candidate as it turned out to be. The tussle would have caused widespread civil disturbances and thus give the military an excuse to once again intervene. The democratic election was a waste of time and money and a show of drama for the international audience. The person at the head of the queue was Sanni Abacha, he had waited his turn to rule and now was time. Unfortunately for him, election result had a clear winner. In the panic of the unexpected, IBB s c rewed up and decided he would hand over to AbdulSalam. Mistrust and tension rose up in the military and a direction had to come from Jaji persuading IBB to immediately leave office. This was why his departure was in haste and he handed over to Shonekan while Jaji sort things through. Abacha got his place, followed by Abdulsalam.

Coming out of this lesson, the North for the first time was able to see its own vulnerabilities and immediately looked for ways to reshape and regain its monopoly on ruling. This is where the proposals started to return the country back to regional authorities. The geopolitical zones are nothing but regional powers that expands or limits authority and domination for the ethnic groups. Abacha initiated several proposals under his regime and this geopolitical mapping was one of them. The Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba leaders were intimate with the new mapping. After the death of Abacha, Abdulsalama came into power and continued with the project. Abdulsalam could have passed it with a decree but there were contentions from the Yorubas, so he held off. Yoruba leaders rejected the geomapping unless Kwara was included in the SW designation. Obasanjo came into power under the PDP flag and adopted the mapping into the constitutional amendment and it became law. This was the beginning of Yoruba hatred for Obasanjo and it lasted through his regime, and his leadership in Yorubaland today is limited to party control of the PDP. Normally he should be a voice in Yoruba politics considering his achievements but he lost that honor with the Kwara issue.

I said I would talk about South South but deviated, so let's go to Edo on the map. The former Midwestern region was cut in two to form Edo and Delta states. There is no reason why Edo state could not have extended down to the coast and included Warri. That way you will have Itsekiri, Bini, Edo, Isoko, Urhobo all in one state. In the other you will have Anioma people, Ijaw and so on. So why was Edo cut off from the coast, or from access to the Delta?

This problem started back when Asaba, instead of Warri, was made capital of Delta state. The Anioma Igbos and their Eastern brothers were interested in consolidating power to Igbo land. To do that successfully, existing and competitive political powers in the area would need to be shackled and so they lobbied and successfully got Itsekiri severed from Edo state but also cut off Edo from the coastal waters and resources of the Delta basin. They were not able to see into the future. . . this was before the MEND upsurge and long before an Ijaw became a VP and ultimately a President.

In our zeal to form a better union and dilute the ethnicity of our rivals we end up doing more damage to one another and replicating the adversities pioneered by the British invaders.

Here's is what an Ndigbo said about fixing the political inequity problem.
http://omojuwa.com/2012/the-nwokoye-correction-for-nigeria/

more to come. . . .
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by SamIkenna: 12:40am On Jun 28, 2012
Dudu_Negro: The creation of Rivers and Cross River States in 1967 was effective in partially diluting power and diminishing a blanket Ndigbo authority over the entire Eastern region but that authority recovered after the war, though the power had died.

From 1967 onward the country had abandoned regional governments and adopted States of the Federation. As at 1991, the former Eastern region had Anambra, Imo, Cross River, Akwa Ibom and Rivers satates. Between 1991 and 1996 two more states, Anambra and Abia, were created out of Enugu and Imo. In 1996 Ebonyi was created and Bayelsa was added. Up until the creation of the 6 geo-political zones in 1999, the Easterners, in the national conscience, were were made up of Igbos, Ibibios, Kalabaris, Anangs, Efiks, Ijaws and Ogonis and other subgroups in the area.

On the question of whether Port Harcourt was in the East or not, everybody knew where it was. The politics of zoning changed that.

If you look on the geopolitical map today it is evident to see that whatever remote authority Ndigbo previously had in its region is completely eroded and handed to another ethnic group. From a geo-economic standpoint, Igboland is in same position of dependency that the North is in, or worse.

More to come. . . See geo map attachment below.

This is what you think of Igbos, SS, Hausas, etc. Now, have you asked us what we think of ourselves? And while you're at it dont fail to also ask us what we think of you. Do that please.
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by ikeyman00(m): 12:52am On Jun 28, 2012
^^^^ they could always talk in their sleep while they type in nl !

nl permit that as well

they got a lot to worry

if they like let them put lagos in the moon

we aint mad at cha; they got so much to say but we just laughin at cha but they just dnt know 2pac!
Re: Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! by DuduNegro: 4:15am On Jun 28, 2012
Sam and Ikey,

An Igbo of repute in NL has advised at the beginning of this thread that Igbos must ignore what you see here. I advise you guys follow that advise, read but ignore me.. . . do not post a response!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Magu: "Every Government Official Is Under Investigation Without Them Knowing" / 9th NASS: Jostling For Other Principal Offices Intensifies Read More At: Https: / PDP To Probe Bayelsa And Kogi Elections And Those Who Cost Them Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.