Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,189 members, 7,815,143 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? (9706 Views)

10 Coolest Notepad Tricks / A Little Tip For Notepad++ users Like Me. / How To Make A Simple Calculator In Notepad Using .bat Format (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by IbroSaunks(m): 7:18am On Jul 03, 2012
but even schools teach with IDEs. you can use notepad all u want and still be a sucky programmer!
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 03, 2012
SayoMarvel:

Well as a Google platform enthusiast (maybe developer smiley ), I have the Google AppEngine, GWT and the Android SDKs integrated with my Eclipse as NetBeans is not officially supported.
I have Mecurial integrated too (for version control).
I have a lot of libraries (but these can pretty much be used with any IDE).
The ones I value most right now are
*GData (for integration with Google Apps. It saves me from interacting with raw REST APIs -- which I really don't like)
*Argo (a JSON parser/generator that comes handy when you are writing your own REST APIs)
*Hibernate (an OR/M framework that shields you from low-level database implementation details and makes your "data layer" appear more object-oriented thereby making your design more intuitive)
*C3P0 (a database connection pooling library particularly suited for production environments. This dramatically improves the performance of your enterprise applications since it doesn't create and destroy connections for every database request -- a very resource-expensive process; but rather creates and re-use a pool of connections. I came across this when I wrote a server-side app that after showing it to the clients, the app dies after 8 hours -- bitter experience).
*SLF4J (a logging framework that I found to C3P0 to be dependent on. Funny enough, the author of C3P0 contacted me on StackOverflow and said his library DOES NOT in anyway have any dependency on SLF4J. You can see the thread at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10695028/hibernate-mysql-connection-timeout).

There are lots of others of course.

I predominantly use NetBeans for non-Google-related projects and I have Git, Mecurial, and a whole lot of plugins there!
Netbeans is my favorite (infact I've written demo apps for the NetBeans platform) but Eclipse has more support so I've been tending towards Eclipse these days.
Now just imagine me doing all these stuffs in Notepad. Notepad may work for small projects but when you are approaching projects with over 10,000 lines of code (even 5,000), it becomes difficult to manage, debug, test and profile (well thats if you value quality and you like your name smiley ). Notepad will definitely not offer you automated unit testing (well, maybe a Notepad from Jupiter will do that).

Bro, IDEs are good. The joy of any programmer is to use his skills to automate boring routine tasks and thats the motivation behind the development of IDEs so you may even take it a step further by writing your own plugins for your favorite IDEs (I discussed with @moderator Fayimora and I think he's planning to write his own extensions for VIM). If you want to go that far, you may consider extending NetBeans; its very modern and highly modular and there are good books out there that reveals its internals so you can easily extend it.

Good luck!
sayo can you please call or flash me on dis number(08034664898) I have a very important question I will like to ask you. thanks
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by thehomer: 7:21am On Jul 03, 2012
logica: LMAO.

No! No! Real programmers don't use high-level languages; they program in Assembly Language or even Machine Code!

Close but no cigar as this comic illustrates.

Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 03, 2012
SayoMarvel:

Well as a Google platform enthusiast (maybe developer smiley ), I have the Google AppEngine, GWT and the Android SDKs integrated with my Eclipse as NetBeans is not officially supported.
I have Mecurial integrated too (for version control).
I have a lot of libraries (but these can pretty much be used with any IDE).
The ones I value most right now are
*GData (for integration with Google Apps. It saves me from interacting with raw REST APIs -- which I really don't like)
*Argo (a JSON parser/generator that comes handy when you are writing your own REST APIs)
*Hibernate (an OR/M framework that shields you from low-level database implementation details and makes your "data layer" appear more object-oriented thereby making your design more intuitive)
*C3P0 (a database connection pooling library particularly suited for production environments. This dramatically improves the performance of your enterprise applications since it doesn't create and destroy connections for every database request -- a very resource-expensive process; but rather creates and re-use a pool of connections. I came across this when I wrote a server-side app that after showing it to the clients, the app dies after 8 hours -- bitter experience).
*SLF4J (a logging framework that I found to C3P0 to be dependent on. Funny enough, the author of C3P0 contacted me on StackOverflow and said his library DOES NOT in anyway have any dependency on SLF4J. You can see the thread at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10695028/hibernate-mysql-connection-timeout).

There are lots of others of course.

I predominantly use NetBeans for non-Google-related projects and I have Git, Mecurial, and a whole lot of plugins there!
Netbeans is my favorite (infact I've written demo apps for the NetBeans platform) but Eclipse has more support so I've been tending towards Eclipse these days.
Now just imagine me doing all these stuffs in Notepad. Notepad may work for small projects but when you are approaching projects with over 10,000 lines of code (even 5,000), it becomes difficult to manage, debug, test and profile (well thats if you value quality and you like your name smiley ). Notepad will definitely not offer you automated unit testing (well, maybe a Notepad from Jupiter will do that).

Bro, IDEs are good. The joy of any programmer is to use his skills to automate boring routine tasks and thats the motivation behind the development of IDEs so you may even take it a step further by writing your own plugins for your favorite IDEs (I discussed with @moderator Fayimora and I think he's planning to write his own extensions for VIM). If you want to go that far, you may consider extending NetBeans; its very modern and highly modular and there are good books out there that reveals its internals so you can easily extend it.

Good luck!
sayo can you please call or flash me on dis number(08034664898) I have a very important question I will like to ask you. thanks
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by wisemikky(m): 8:07am On Jul 03, 2012
yea, most of us naturally started with notepad (cool stuff), however i agree with @avosoft. what matters now is getting the job done ASAP (RAD).
no employer gives a hoot how you do it but the product.
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by Creatrixity(m): 8:25am On Jul 03, 2012
If you are new or just being introduced to the programming language being learnt notepad is best when I started out as a beginner with Html.At 15,I used notepad,even Moby explorer java app on phone so i could program at boring weddings and classes at school.but now i use jython(java python)which serves as both an interactive console and a script executer for java and Python.I can use dreamweaver to work on Html scripts because i understand html and css from my days with notepad.
My netbeans is annoying always putting up messages that i have no compilers and should set up the compiler path which I have done like a thousand times all the while having the minimalist gnu(mingw) and geany+(both are c compilers).its ya choice though
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by mexzony: 8:46am On Jul 03, 2012
You just said it urself.U̶̲̥̅̊ did not attend classes so U̶̲̥̅̊ missed a lot.an IDE makes myou focus on what needs †✽ be done instead of doin repeitve tasks like creating buttons aπϑ forms which can take a lot of unneccessary time,so dude ur arguement does not hold water.an IDE saves a lot of time but you the programmer still has †✽ write core code of what your application will do.the iDE will not do that for you.
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by candylips(m): 9:14am On Jul 03, 2012
No. Real programmers use VI or Emacs grin
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by spikesC(m): 9:14am On Jul 03, 2012
pc guru: Pls i do not get the essence of this post yeah i know somethings need to be learnt like setting up Java and PHP manually, but it is no yardstick for measuring a good programmer,[b] in the former company where i worked if you are using Dreamweaver or Notepad for PHP Development, you will be cautioned[b] no one is paying you to be the best developer but i do agree that relying too much on IDE is bad, i had that issue till now i work mostly with Sublime its a text editor but nothing wrong with IDE imho.

Why is dreamweaver not good for php development, whats the better IDE
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by sarutobi: 9:24am On Jul 03, 2012
@poster: you can as well tell us to program in assembly language or just punch in the 1100110 100010 1000110 etc. grin

programming is abt efficiency and speed.

I also program in java and believe me after abt 7 years in the game i cant say that i know all of the classes, interfaces and packages in the java standard library. They are huge. This is minus their methods, variables, whethter public, protetced, private or static. (i believe this is where IDEs come in). If you are just learning, then using notepad is a good idea.

My guy if u program in the real world you will forget notepad. i use notepad to write love letters and if someone ever codes a love letter IDE, i will be more than willing to switch cool
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by lastcenter: 9:57am On Jul 03, 2012
Practice your loops! Preferably long algorithms for faster execution in a go or jumps for durability into resource sharing.(vehicle : keep moving).
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by SayoMarvel(m): 11:18am On Jul 03, 2012
@uihebom nairaland interprered the last digit of your number and the closing parenthesis that followed it as a smiley so I only saw 10 digits. I suggest you post your number again and don't wrap it with brackets.
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by member479760: 11:34am On Jul 03, 2012
just like me too, copy, paste, IDE, typist programmer but from notepad I make website anytime.
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by WhyAWhy(m): 11:46am On Jul 03, 2012
This are bunch of jokers!!!! I imagine you create objects with only 3 methods only that you can cram. Work on an enterprise project and code it in notepad then i will listen to this crap!
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by gurushill: 12:01pm On Jul 03, 2012
hmmm. i dnt know. my clients will tell you
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:04pm On Jul 03, 2012
@poster I am just wondering how many profitable programming ventures you have accomplished using notepad. if you are coding for free, you must have a lot of cash
the IDE is designed to provide 3 things, AGILITY, EASE OF USE and SPEED to MARKET. It is only in these parts where you find a programmer working 24/7/365 and still hopping a bus to work. sad get real the tools are there for a reason
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by xterra2(m): 12:07pm On Jul 03, 2012
I can do programming with IDEs I don't think I can do so with notepad
I can't use notepad no syntax highlighting,no debugger e.t.c. Back in the days when I was learning html I used notepad.

The people who use notepads. Are programmers,while us that use IDEs are developers
I can't just use notepad I love IDEs, I use netbeans,dreamweaver and visual studio

Although I use. Sublime text 2 (a better notepad++) for some programming time to time., its a text editor but like an IDE
The only exception I have is mysql - I prefer. Mysql command line to mysql workbench, its just cooler typing from the command line and sweeeter but using mysql workbench would remove the. Joy
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by SayoMarvel(m): 12:34pm On Jul 03, 2012
#teamWorkbench
I have it on both my Windows and Ubuntu development environment. Comes handy! Especially given fact tjat it can tunnel its activities over SSH to remote servers wink
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by hyelhira: 12:58pm On Jul 03, 2012
undecidedThis argument is like, "As a good farmer, it's better to use cutlass and hoes than tractors and ploughs". C'mon, give me a break.
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by talk2hb1(m): 2:25pm On Jul 03, 2012
I can smell a novice when I see one, The guy said he just finish from NIIT last year. He has not been involved in real programming project, so I think he his still working on self assigned project to keep himself busy, for your level in the programming world it is still OK to use notepad that is what most beginners get started with. I am pretty sure that when the guy start getting involved in real life project he will see a need for IDE. For a beginner I will encourage even force them to use notepad to do their coding.
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by vladimiros: 3:48pm On Jul 03, 2012
lol I am new to programming and I use notepad

thanks to the lads who told me about netbeans here

thank you
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by IbroSaunks(m): 4:15pm On Jul 03, 2012
spikes C: i pity the op sha, it plainly says, 'am inexperienced'.

@dual core; nice quote, work smart, not hard.

@all; abeg oo, whats wrong with dreamweaver for development undecided

Is there a better IDE for php development

Well I prefer Eclipse or Zend Studio, they are more "tailored" towards hard core coding than Dreamweaver.
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by dammytosh: 4:50pm On Jul 03, 2012
Guess you are solving text book problems with your programming skill.

Writing a commercial application with notepad is dunce and not a show of any skill but naivety, ignorance etc.

You can as well write your own programming language to show us how 'skillfull' undecided you are.

It is a phase as a young programmer you will soon out grow that notepad stage.

- My Cent
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by logica(m): 5:35pm On Jul 03, 2012
LOL @ inexperienced "somebody".
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by abogonye: 5:57pm On Jul 03, 2012
well u are right,using notepad will only make ur ugi to be bad. thanks
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by lordZOUGA(m): 6:29pm On Jul 03, 2012
to those of you saying that notepad are for beginners.... That's pure B.ullshit. Am a beginner (I like to think so), I use IDE and it doesn't affect me in anyway... I use QtCreator... Which when integrated with QtSDK provides fast lookup of functions or classes in the reference documentation and presents them side by side with the code am editing. So am learning and using at the same time. When tinkering with HTML I use adobe dreamweaver... Which provides reference documentation for both CSS and HTML and other web related stuffs...
But that doesn't mean I can't do without those IDEs though I learnt coding with them.... Sometimes when I have no power on my system, I use pen and paper and design a Class and its methods so that whenever I put on my system it becomes a matter of fine-tuning...
Its not as if at a certain time in the future IDEs will be banned or disappear and everybody will have to imagine code.
IDEs are here to stay, the more awesome your IDE or the more deadly you are with your IDE the better for you.
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by davida222(m): 6:45pm On Jul 03, 2012
childs play
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by mruwaifo(m): 11:49pm On Jul 03, 2012
Seriously . Nairaland is really becoming a dumpster for all sought of garbage opinion .And to think that they put this shit on the front page !!
I meet guys with such stupid opinion all the time and all the time they are always dead broke and small time thinking losers .

1 Like

Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by Moderrator: 6:18am On Jul 04, 2012
Coding with notepad doesn't make you a real programmer.
Solving real life problem does.
@OP should review his ideas.
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by sisqology(m): 12:47pm On Jul 04, 2012
Now following cheesy
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by Beaf: 6:34pm On Jul 04, 2012
The OP has simply described the difference between a technician (or other vocational worker) and the skilled professional.

The vocational worker memorises every last step of his job, because they do not understand how things work. So, yes the vocational worker can code with notepad and navigate the internet from the command line. However, it is the developer that builds the iconic landmarks like Facebook, Google, Ebay, Amazon, various phone apps etc; these things cannot be done from the command line, neither can their code be written in notepad (except as punishment for sins like murder - lol!).

By the way, some people view the word, "programmer" as derogatory or old fashioned at best. Most people prefer to be called developers.
Re: Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? by Peterson1993(m): 11:07am On Jul 05, 2012
Beaf: The OP has simply described the difference between a technician (or other vocational worker) and the skilled professional.

The vocational worker memorises every last step of his job, because they do not understand how things work. So, yes the vocational worker can code with notepad and navigate the internet from the command line. However, it is the developer that builds the iconic landmarks like Facebook, Google, Ebay, Amazon, various phone apps etc; these things cannot be done from the command line, neither can their code be written in notepad (except as punishment for sins like murder - lol!).

By the way, some people view the word, "programmer" as derogatory or old fashioned at best. Most people prefer to be called developers.
says who. All scripts of any website are written whether on note pad or what ever. Those webs you mentioned where created with self made codes and scripts written on notepad or any other text editor and not most webs this days using OSS and the open source script was even written by the supposed great coders..!. If you view the source code, you will hardly believe it was actually written by a human beings but we can all be genius to ourselves if we believe

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. / What Is Xvideoservicethief? / How Do I Write Sql Statemen That Can Cast String To Double

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.