Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,720 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests (12760 Views)

Tutorials On Solving Dragnet,shl,kenexa(hang Out For Better Jobs) / Recruits Passing-Out From Depot Nigerian Army Today - Congratulations!! / Guiness Shl Online Test. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests by worldz(m): 4:03pm On Jun 14, 2012
Hello everyone,

Can we share ideas on how one can ace GMAT, GRE, SHL and all other employment tests?

I tried my hands on some sample gmat questions sometime ago, and i must confess, it was looking so daunting for one to make very good scores under a limited time, but i still feel one can do very well if the right strategy in tackling them is adopted.

So am using this opportunity to call on those that have taken these tests at one time or the other and have passed them or have scored very high in them to please share their strategies on how to go about passing these tests with high scores. Contributions from everyone will be welcomed.

Thanks!

PS: Lets identify our strategies as used in the various categories of these tests e.g Numerical, Verbal/Logical, Figural, etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests by tanimola22: 12:34am On Jun 15, 2012
worldz: Hello everyone,

Can we share ideas on how one can ace GMAT, GRE, SHL and all other employment tests?

I tried my hands on some sample gmat questions sometime ago, and i must confess, it was looking so daunting for one to make very good scores under a limited time, but i still feel one can do very well if the right strategy in tackling them is adopted.

So am using this opportunity to call on those that have taken these tests at one time or the other and have passed them or have scored very high in them to please share their strategies on how to go about passing these tests with high scores. Contributions from everyone will be welcomed.

Thanks!

PS: Lets identify our strategies as used in the various categories of these tests e.g Numerical, Verbal/Logical, Figural, etc.

Strategies: GMAT, GRE (For admissions into graduate school)

Quantitative

1. Familiarize yourself with the structure of the questions

2. Practice with the most relevant preparatory material--GRE Math Bible (now called Nova), Kaplan, Barron, Manhattan GRE

3. Practice with extremely difficult but relevant questions, more difficult questions than the ones you will eventually meet on the exam day (see 2)

4. Don't neglect the official guide prepared by ETS. ETS is the body responsible for GRE and GMAT. Practice with the official guide several times

5. Form notes and create examples from the questions contained in these books. Revise the notes and examples until they become your second nature

6. It is crucial that you practice with the most relevant books, otherwise you will work hard for nothing

If you do the above very well, you should score in the >80th percentile. If your background is quantitative, then doing the above may guarantee you a score in the neighborhood of >93 percentile. If you are smart and very good with high school math, you may get something close to a perfect score or a perfect score itself. A perfect score in the quantitative section is not much of a big deal.

Verbal

1. Well, I can't beat my chest here as I myself am just above average here. But thankfully, as an international student, a score in the neighborhood of 70 percentile is more than enough to get you a place at many top programs.

2. Get Barrons Essential words for GRE, Kaplan Vocabulary flashcards and workbook for GRE

3. Official ETS guide

4. Start developing your English language from today

Analytical Writing

Well, for this, just write more and more and then look at what others have written. To get close to 4-6/6 you will need to practice like hell and then use as a gude the sample essays available in the above listed books.

Three weeks before your test...

Start taking complete sample tests comprising Quantitative, Verbal and Analytical Writing. For more insights into scoring highly on the GRE and GMAT, please visit http://www.happyschoolsblog.com/top-9-gre-test-prep-books/ and http://www.achieverspoint.com/book/gmatbook.htm.

SHL

Here, the more SHL tests you take, the more you get familiar with them and the higher your scores become. The reason for this is that the tests are repetitive! There is an illegal strategy that UK peeps finally figured out. I will tell you the strategy...I know you want to hear...Okay, the strategy is that they target companies that specifically use SHL tests and then they apply to say about 20-300 of these companies. The trick here is that they get to take a minimum of 20 SHL tests. And as I earlier said, these tests are repetitive so that the more one does them, the higher the chances of getting better scores next time. SHL tests are the same around the world, so you too can easily employ this strategy. In fact, start applying to those UK companies today. Some of them invite applicants for the SHL online tests almost immediately, so you can use this opportunity to practice very well before your company of choice asks you to take the SHL test.

Companies that use the SHL tests are Barclays, JP Morgan, ICAP, Tullett Prebon, ExxonMobil, Trafigura, Renaissance Capital, Royal Bank of Scotland, BNP Paribas, Nomura, Nationwide and many others. Apply to these firms. At least one of them will invite you for an SHL test almost immediately. Use this chance to solidify your knowledge of real SHL tests. Again, SHL tests are same around the world. OandO SHL test=JP Morgan SHL test= Nomura SHL test= Guinness SHL test=-----=-

All the best!

T22.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests by yemmyma: 9:26am On Jun 16, 2012
Well, while i have not taken any of these tests before but i would like to chip in my advice for the quantitative section.

If your maths is very rusty, then you will need help to get back to the basics. I recommend the Cliff's Note(Check review on Amazon; http://www.amazon.com/CliffsNotes-Review-Standardized-Tests-CliffsTestPrep/dp/0470500778/ref=dp_ob_title_bk). I bought the book when i needed to prepare for these exams a while back. It is very good for those who have not done those high school maths for some time. The tricks and strategies in the book are just enough for you to get started. Warning! The exercises in the book are not very difficult. For an average maths student, you might finish the whole book in a day just to retrieve those things that might have as well slipped from your memory.

If you are through with this foundation book and you are the somewhat lazy type and like to be spoon-fed i recommend you visit http://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/gmat here you will find all solution to the past question from GMAC review book by the test council in video. You just relax and watch the explanation like you are in a class. But remember to practice yourself as well. You learn better by doing.

For the verbal section, you can refer to T22s recommendations above.

1 Like

Re: Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests by worldz(m): 12:28pm On Jun 16, 2012
You guys are really great! Those are really insightful...others, please lets stop by and drop a line.

Laterz!
Re: Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests by worldz(m): 10:52pm On Jun 16, 2012
tanimola22:

SHL

Here, the more SHL tests you take, the more you get familiar with them and the higher your scores become. The reason for this is that the tests are repetitive! There is an illegal strategy that UK peeps finally figured out. I will tell you the strategy...I know you want to hear...Okay, the strategy is that they target companies that specifically use SHL tests and then they apply to say about 20-300 of these companies. The trick here is that they get to take a minimum of 20 SHL tests. And as I earlier said, these tests are repetitive so that the more one does them, the higher the chances of getting better scores next time. SHL tests are the same around the world, so you too can easily employ this strategy. In fact, start applying to those UK companies today. Some of them invite applicants for the SHL online tests almost immediately, so you can use this opportunity to practice very well before your company of choice asks you to take the SHL test.

Companies that use the SHL tests are Barclays, JP Morgan, ICAP, Tullett Prebon, ExxonMobil, Trafigura, Renaissance Capital, Royal Bank of Scotland, BNP Paribas, Nomura, Nationwide and many others. Apply to these firms. At least one of them will invite you for an SHL test almost immediately. Use this chance to solidify your knowledge of real SHL tests. Again, SHL tests are same around the world. OandO SHL test=JP Morgan SHL test= Nomura SHL test= Guinness SHL test=-----=-

All the best!

T22.

Hello T22,

Do you mean that SHL tests do not change as to say that the test taken in one company will be the same for another? Please kindly clarify further.

Secondly, can i apply to a UK based company in consideration for a permanent position even as am based in Nigeria? What challenges would i have in getting such foreign jobs right here from Nigeria?

I'd appreciate your answers to the above.

Thanks!
Re: Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests by tanimola22: 11:07pm On Jun 16, 2012
worldz:

Hello T22,

Do you mean that SHL tests do not change as to say that the test taken in one company will be the same for another? Please kindly clarify further.

Secondly, can i apply to a UK based company in consideration for a permanent position even as am based in Nigeria? What challenges would i have in getting such foreign jobs right here from Nigeria?

I'd appreciate your answers to the above.

Thanks!

Bros, I agree that my oyinbo has some K-leg grin, but I wonder whether you read my submission. All the questions you asked, I have managed to answer them. Okay, let's go over the questions one after the other..

1. Do you mean that SHL tests do not change as to say that the test taken in one company will be the same for another? Please kindly clarify further.

SHL tests are the same around the world, so you too can easily employ this strategy.............Again, SHL tests are same around the world. OandO SHL test=JP Morgan SHL test= Nomura SHL test= Guinness SHL test=-----=-

So, yes they do not change.

2. Secondly, can i apply to a UK based company in consideration for a permanent position even as am based in Nigeria? What challenges would i have in getting such foreign jobs right here from Nigeria?

....In fact, start applying to those UK companies today. Some of them invite applicants for the SHL online tests almost immediately, so you can use this opportunity to practice very well before your company of choice asks you to take the SHL test.

So, yes you can apply to the selected companies that use SHL tests. However, the main reason for applying is to practice how to take real SHL tests. In the process of doing this, if you get invited to the UK for interviews then that will be great. However, the aim of applying remains to practice and not to get a job in the UK. Use your UK address or your friend's UK contact address when filling out the online application..All these are tricks that you should act fast on.

I suspect I have managed to answer your questions. Please let me know if the answers are clear.

T22.

1 Like

Re: Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests by worldz(m): 11:37pm On Jun 16, 2012
tanimola22:

Bros, I agree that my oyinbo has some K-leg grin, but I wonder whether you read my submission. All the questions you asked, I have managed to answer them. Okay, let's go over the questions one after the other..

1. Do you mean that SHL tests do not change as to say that the test taken in one company will be the same for another? Please kindly clarify further.

SHL tests are the same around the world, so you too can easily employ this strategy.............Again, SHL tests are same around the world. OandO SHL test=JP Morgan SHL test= Nomura SHL test= Guinness SHL test=-----=-

2. Secondly, can i apply to a UK based company in consideration for a permanent position even as am based in Nigeria? What challenges would i have in getting such foreign jobs right here from Nigeria?

....In fact, start applying to those UK companies today. Some of them invite applicants for the SHL online tests almost immediately, so you can use this opportunity to practice very well before your company of choice asks you to take the SHL test.

So, yes you can apply to the selected companies that use SHL tests. However, the main reason for applying is to practice how to take real SHL tests. In the process of doing this, if you get invited to the UK for interviews then that will be great. However, the aim of applying remains to practice and not to get a job in the UK. Use your UK address or your friend's UK contact address when filling out the online application..All these are tricks that you should act fast on.

I suspect I have managed to answer your questions. Please let me know if the answers are clear.

T22.

Re: Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests by worldz(m): 11:37pm On Jun 16, 2012
tanimola22:

T22.

Yes they are clearer now. You've been so helpful...thanks again!

1 Like

Re: Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests by intebaba: 10:03pm On Sep 01, 2012
Great work is being done here. Iappreciate you guys. Please i need Barons gre test preperation materials on soft copy. Someone please help me.
Re: Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests by Nobody: 10:09pm On Feb 21, 2016
Do you want to ace the GRE, GMAT, or Job Aptitude tests? Do you have children in the area that need private tutoring in Math or Science?
I am USA educated and trained private tutor.
Over 10 years experience.
Can work with students from secondary school to University level. Whatsapp or call 0708 783 9910. Or email fosibodu@gmail.com
My name is Folarin and you will excel after working with me. Location: Lekki phase 1.

Re: Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests by Campuslink: 12:50am On Feb 22, 2016
Need an experienced and qualified tutor to prepare you for GMAT or GRE, please talk to us at Southcrest College, 14B Bashorun Okunsanya st, behind Tantalizer, Lekki Phase 1, Lekki, Lagos. We have accommodation facilities and our fees are very affordable. For more info, pls call Amodu 08056516226.

(1) (Reply)

100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! / Photos: My Induction As A Certified Project Manager / Tutorials On Solving Dragnet,shl,kenexa(hang Out For Better Jobs)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.