Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,855 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:03 PM

The Consequences Of Polygamy - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Consequences Of Polygamy (7775 Views)

Astrology Predictions; Ever Been A Victim? What Are The Consequences? / The Consequences Of Christianity (hell) And The Good Atheist / The Bondage Of Polygamy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Consequences Of Polygamy by God2man(m): 8:41am On Jun 15, 2012
There seemed to be so much disagreement and uncertainties among christians on whether it is good to have one man, one wife or one man two wives or one man many wives as the case may be. The main reason for the argument is because there are so many polygamists in the Bible. Christians , especially the african, tend to beleive that there is nothing wrong if you marry two wives, basing their argument on the fact that solomon married many wives as well as David.
The word POLYGAMY is not in the Bible, but there are about 30 polygamists in the Bible. Lamech was the first Polygamist in the Bible,Genesis 4:19" And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah" followed by Terah,Pharaoh, King Abimelech,Nahor,Abraham,Esau,Jacob,Eliphaz,Moses,Gideon,Issachar,Elkanar,Saul.
David was a husband of several wives, 1 chronicle 14:3" And David took more wives at Jerusalem: and David begat more sons and daughters"
Then Solomon, the most popular and celebrated, and also the greatest polygamist had 700 wives and 300 concubines. 1 King 11:3" And he had seven hundred wives, princess, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart". Abraham,David and Solomon were favourites of God, so it easy to conclude that there is nothing wrong with polygamy, in fact, modern day ministers see nothing wrong with polygamy. All the God's favourites reaped evil harvest as a result of polygamy. Is it David? Solomon or Abraham.
The truth is, God is against polygamy. Genesis 2:24" Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his WIFE(not wives): and they shall be one flesh" Again, God gave a direct insruction to king because he knew that multiplying wives would lead to idolatry and all other sins. What was the instruction? Deutoronomy 17:17" Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold". It means that the King must rule by example, his subjects must not be polygamous. See what God told Solomon, 1 King 11:11" Wherefore the Lord said unto Solomon,Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my convenat and my statues, which i have commanded thee, i will surely rend the Kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant"
Now, let's just examine few consequences of polygamy.
1. One of the tragedies of the backwardness of the blackman is polygamy. Our ancestors used to be warriors, farmers,hunters, evil kings, they saw polygamy as a means of raising children for labour force to assist them in their various activities. A typical african polygamous setting parades an internal civil war, where wives try to outdo one another and children rise up against themselves. James 3:16 " For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work". So, two wives will be worst, many wives will be deadly. There can never be peace in a polygamous home.
2. Wives join witchcraft to overpower fellow wives and to manipulate their husbands. The husband will eventual die as a result of too much witchcraft activities.
3. Curses on children: after 49 yrs, a brother from a polygamous home said, his father had several wives who used to take turns for daily sex with the father, one day, it was the turn of wife" No1 "to go to bed with her husband but wife "No2" who was the mother of this brother went in and lock herself in the room for sex. Wife"No1" came to meet the door locked up. She cursed the wife "No2"by saying "if you ever have a child out of this affair, the child will not prosper". This brother was the cursed child, after 49 yrs, he had no means of livelihood. A curse had been issued on his life before birth. His destiny had been killed before he even appear here on earth as a result of polygamy.
4. Household hatred: Evil envy is the main thing in a polygamous family, Joseph and his brothers is a good Biblical example. Children of different mothers and the same father never agree. They do all they can to kill one another to inherit their fathers property.
5. It is extremely difficult to satisfy all of them se.xually. So, other wives look elsewhere for fun, it is an avenue to commit more sins, fornication and adultery.
6. Absence of true, divine,pure and simple love. There is no way you can find true love in a polygamous home.
7. After the death of the husband there will always be court cases, everyone will be fighting for his right.

If you are already in the pit of polygamy, it is advisable to do restitution, the founder of RCCG, Pa Akindayomi, had four wives and he made restitution because he wanted to make heaven. You too can do it.
Pray to God to give you the grace to get out of the pit of polygamy. You will need wisdom from God to get out. It will never be easy, but you have to do it.
See marriage counsellors and your pastor for assistance.
The best thing you can do for yourself in this terrible world is to have one wife. God bless you. God2man.
Re: The Consequences Of Polygamy by gst101: 10:16am On Jun 15, 2012
absolute rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know a family, na the two wives make the man turn devout christian. In this same family, touch one of the children, you touch the rest. Still in the same family, the children hardly lack in school. If their parent do not have, they get it from their older ones. I know this becos i am very very close to one of them.

As for your " backwardness of the black man" what about the mid east where polygamy is practiced. Particularly the gulf states. Are they not developed? Its like you are one of those black men that have been brain washed into thinking the black man has never made succeses in life. You have believed the 'dark continent' propaganda.

If you want one wife, marry one! Nobody stops you. If you do not like it, other people want it! Includin the women. And thats why they get married to him even though he has a wife already.

You are in no position to label polygamy what you are trying to label it becos from what you have posted above, i can confidently say that you do not know what polygamy is.

As for the restitution that you are talking about; i am tired of christians using ambiguous words when making recomendations. By restitution, what exactly do you want them to do? Do you want them to have a divorce from all of their wives except one? And dont you think that is double standard? You preach against divorce and you are encouraging it!
Your crusade against polygamy no work
Re: The Consequences Of Polygamy by Ptolomeus(m): 8:42pm On Jun 15, 2012
After reading this, I think Christians who remain chaste and pure They who argue that sex is a sin! ...
And really I can not stop laughing!
Re: The Consequences Of Polygamy by God2man(m): 10:52pm On Jun 15, 2012
gst101: absolute rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know a family, na the two wives make the man turn devout christian. In this same family, touch one of the children, you touch the rest. Still in the same family, the children hardly lack in school. If their parent do not have, they get it from their older ones. I know this becos i am very very close to one of them.

As for your " backwardness of the black man" what about the mid east where polygamy is practiced. Particularly the gulf states. Are they not developed? Its like you are one of those black men that have been brain washed into thinking the black man has never made succeses in life. You have believed the 'dark continent' propaganda.

If you want one wife, marry one! Nobody stops you. If you do not like it, other people want it! Includin the women. And thats why they get married to him even though he has a wife already.

You are in no position to label polygamy what you are trying to label it becos from what you have posted above, i can confidently say that you do not know what polygamy is.

As for the restitution that you are talking about; i am tired of christians using ambiguous words when making recomendations. By restitution, what exactly do you want them to do? Do you want them to have a divorce from all of their wives except one? And dont you think that is double standard? You preach against divorce and you are encouraging it!
Your crusade against polygamy no work
@gst101,Typical nairalanders!
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 1 corinthians 1:18.
You are not married. You do not know what marriage is. Of course, everybody knows that there is no perfect marriage, we are not perfect. If in the setting of one man, one wife, there is problem, i don't know where you get a man with two wives having no problem. Are they from another planet? In fact, i do not understand you.

Again, you move from africa to the gulf states ( Iran,Iraq,Saudi Arabia,Kuwait,Bahrain,Oman,Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates) to look for a perfect example of a polygamous family. Have you forgotten that there is more bigger problem than development in the gulf?

God has blessed the blackman with great potentials, but there are various factors militating against the progress of the blackman, polygamy is one of the tragedies plaguing the black man. Many people with great potential have been killed untimely, as a result of an internal war over the property of the deceased. All these explanation may not be clear to you because you are still young. Would you recommend any member of your family to become the second wife to a married man? You may say yes, but are you honest with your answer. Do you think those ladies that got married to an already married man are really happy? Can you find true love in that kind of setting? The man will love the two wives with the same love. Impossible!

What is polygamy? Answer.

According to God's standard, one man, one wife is approve. God hates divorce. Other wives belong to another man according to God's standard, if you marry them, you are a thief. Other wives are stolen wives, God cannot contradict himself. Since you have married them you need the wisdom of God to do the restitution(restore back to one man,one wife).
However, not all restitutions are possible, that is why you need marriage counsellors to inform you on how to go about it. The way to heaven is hard. It takes the Grace of God. The way of the cross leads home.

Nowadays, many people prefer one man, one wife. So, i don't know what is wrong with this setting. If you think one man, one wife is a poison to you, then go ahead and do whatever you like, but remember one wife is equal to 15 problems, two wives is equal to 30 problems. Never try it. It is an advise.
God bless you.
God2man.
Re: The Consequences Of Polygamy by gst101: 4:33pm On Jun 16, 2012
my dear, i can counter every point you raised in your last post and any independent judge will judge in my favour, believe me. But i dont have that time now becos i am down a lil bit. Btw, its my lil phone i am using and it cannot type so many things. My response will be so long.

But let me just reply one of the questions you asked. I am not going to advice my sis to be a second wife (Contrary to what you think my answer would be.this shows that i have points that you have never heard of and this is becos the cacophony against polygamy has been the loudest especially among nigerian christians) And the reason is simple! She does not have the orientaion of polygamy so it will definitely fail. You will have to have orientaion of something for that thing to work with you.
Re: The Consequences Of Polygamy by Ybutterfly: 4:35pm On Jun 16, 2012
^^^^^^^^hMMMMMMMM^^^^^^^^^^^
Re: The Consequences Of Polygamy by Nobody: 12:18pm On Oct 14, 2017
Visit this thread to read interesting submissions on matters arising in polygyny, like: Is it advisable for the first and second wife to live together? ; should a man that is not capable of fulfilling the sexual needs of the first wife take a second wife?
https://www.nairaland.com/4112695/polygyny-should-live-second-wife#61411074

(1) (Reply)

If Satan Goes To God For Forgiveness Do U Think God Wil Forgive Him? / 6000 Romans Bow Before A Piece Of Decayed Meat. / Lessons And Benefits Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.