Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,328 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev (28821 Views)

Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. / Ford Edge 2007, Starts And Goes Off After Awhile And Doesn't Start Again / My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jun 18, 2012
Hi all, I just got back from a Trip and left my car parked for a couple of weeks. The battery got drained and I was able to jump start with another battery. Problem here is I tried charging back my battery but failed on different attempts when switch batteries.

I was able to get it out of the car park and on the last attempt I mistakenly rev'd the car when the battery was been place back but it cut short on power

Now av finally gottena new battery by my problem now is

The car starts well all electircal components are in place and working but the Check engine light came on and the car won't rev or accelerate. Engaging it in gear would give the car a sligt cruise but won't accelerate PS: I don't hv an OBD to scan the car. Your advice is needed b4 I get a mech or scanner to read the car. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev by sultaan(m): 5:33am On Jun 19, 2012
Disconnect battery again wait 30min, reconnect and start.

That should reset computer, but not sure of anti-theft system.

Car is in limp mode now to protect itself.
Re: Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev by Nobody: 11:43am On Jun 19, 2012
Thnx sultan...I left the car over night without a battery and still woke up to the same problem.

Finally I Got it fixed.

The Mech came around and with out an OBD scanner. We individually checked all the fuse in the fuse box. the camry throttle is electrical. We were able to locate the throttle fuse and wow! It was burnt. A quick swift to a new fuse and in a second the "check engine" light came off and the car was able to rev and also accelerate.

Good I solved my problem early and I hope the information would come in useful to anyone that may have a similar issue in the future.

4 Likes

Re: Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev by dnsdelta: 11:42am On Nov 27, 2012
Hi babs2aroks,

i have the same problem with my 08 Camry 2.4V AT. My camry starts but does not rev at all...i replaced my Pedal assembly, and my throttle body from another camry, but it did not fixed the problem. The replaced Throttle body and Accelerator Pedal Assy both worked well on the other camry.

can you tell me where the fuse of the Throttle body motor is located?
i hope you can also share a pic if you have one.

i still don't have a OBD to scan the system...but with your description, it is very similar to my camry encounter.

it starts normal, all accessories work, and when shifted to drive, it moves and cruises at idle rpm and goes to reverse as well when shifted to reverse. but no power....no response at all on the accelerator pedal.

thanks

1 Like

Re: Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev by Nobody: 4:24pm On Nov 27, 2012
Wow Dnsdelta sorry about your camry issue.

I wish you came across this thread before you embarked on changing all the above parts you mentioned.I personally hate mechs having to play try and error with my cars

From my write up you would notice the Mech came without an OBD scanner.I made background checks and observed the throtle is electronic.

I guess you have a "check engine light". The fues box component is located under the hood(bonnet)...Just Ask a Rewire or Professional Car electrican (PS the average mech may not be able to handle it and end up saying rubbish). There should be a spare fuse or two in the fue box with a fuse pin to ease replacement.

Just make sure you read the cover of the fusebox it gives you locations of every fuse or manually check all the fuse for any burnt one.

It helped me and I hope it helps you. Goodluck

2 Likes

Re: Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev by raycollins: 7:41pm On Nov 13, 2013
Nice write up. Some 9ja mechanics are clowns.
Re: Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev by infolekan(m): 6:23am On Nov 14, 2013
Had a similar problem with my camry 2007 se V6 at a time and had to change the actuator for about 40k AFTER an OBD scan.
Reading this and looking back.....i sure do hope I wasn't taken for a donkey ride then sha.
Re: Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev by popeurban: 5:01am On Nov 26, 2014
I have a similar issue at hand. I replaced the engine of my Toyota Avalon 02 with a "direct belgiun" engine from Japan(bought in Lagos". Same 3.0L 1MZ vvti V6. After mounting the engine, it started "one hand". But when we tried to rev, it "refused" to rev and sometimes sputters. The "check engine" light is also on. Mechanics are suggesting all sort of things, but I called my electrician who promised to come with a scanner today. I'm just confused. Pls guys, I need candid advice. #cc: Siena
Re: Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev by AutosBay(m): 6:32am On Nov 26, 2014
First, I would check the transmission fluid level and see if it's low. Smell the fluid to see if it smells burned. If it does smell burned, you might need to replace it and the filter.

Second, if shifting is erratic, slow, or harsh, if your car is fuel injected, you probably have shift solenoids. The valves in these solenoids may be sticking. A good place to start is to service the transmission, and add a good shift conditioner. If it doesn't solve the problem, you may need to replace the shift solenoids. The same holds true for older transmissions. The valves may be sticking in the valve body or governor. If so, it's service, and/or replace the valve body and governor. It's also worth mentioning that built into the transmission, to help cushion the shifts are accumulators. These are spring loaded dampeners. If they fail, the transmission will likely "slam" into gear. It will be a quick, neck-breaking shift, not harsh or delayed.

If you can feel your transmission shift, but then "spin out", you have problems. This means your clutch pack or shift band has burned out. It's not good news, because this does mean an overhaul.

Alternatively you could follow this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1894007/camry-2007-problem-please something similar has been treated.
Re: Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev by frrank(m): 7:36pm On May 06, 2017
AutosBay:

Second, if shifting is erratic, slow, or harsh, if your car is fuel injected, you probably have shift solenoids. The valves in these solenoids may be sticking. A good place to start is to service the transmission, and add a good shift conditioner. If it doesn't solve the problem, you may need to replace the shift solenoids. The same holds true for older transmissions. The valves may be sticking in the valve body or governor. If so, it's service, and/or replace the valve body and governor. It's also worth mentioning that built into the transmission, to help cushion the shifts are accumulators. These are spring loaded dampeners. If they fail, the transmission will likely "slam" into gear. It will be a quick, neck-breaking shift, not harsh or delayed.

If you can feel your transmission shift, but then "spin out", you have problems. This means your clutch pack or shift band has burned out. It's not good news, because this does mean an overhaul.

Alternatively you could follow this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1894007/camry-2007-problem-please something similar has been treated.

Hello, please I'm in PH. Currently having this issue in my Camry 2007. My mechanic has changed my fuel pump, services the transmission but yet the Car is still behaving just as you described above.

I really need your help. Thanks.
Re: Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev by dondada78(m): 11:41am On Jul 30, 2020
sultaan:
Disconnect battery again wait 30min, reconnect and start.

That should reset computer, but not sure of anti-theft system.

Car is in limp mode now to protect itself.

Honestly I'm more than grateful to your advice. Had to change my gasket on an 07 Camry. First mechanic did rubbish and had to use another. The other got it right but acceleration was forced and we didn't know what was wrong. Further checks revealed that cartoon paper was placed inside the injector module that mixes air and fuel...can you imagine!!! (Nigerian mechanics ehn). After removing it, the new mechanic serviced it and the nozzles but vehicle refused to accelerate or move, at a point it will just idle but goes off in gear. Came here to look for a solution and saw this and did it. 10 mins later I connect the negative battery point and boom! Vehicle resumes perfect idling and check engine light goes off. Car is riding like its brand new now.....
Re: Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev by Kassiny(m): 6:33am On Jul 31, 2020
Very educative...
Have learnt something new.
Thanks for sharing
Re: Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev by Newtononline(m): 9:19pm On Oct 14, 2022
I am currently having a similar issue with my corolla. It works well during the day, but once it's night it won't Rev. If you restart the car, it will Rev at first, but once you step on the brake, it starts idling... No more Rev. Electrician has worked on the fuse box, changed throttle leg, changed throttle body, no resolution. Anyone with an idea?

(1) (Reply)

How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? / Traffic Road Signs / What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.