Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,507 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

Is Begging Now A Profession? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Begging Now A Profession? (3754 Views)

Meet The Lady Who Takes Painting As A Profession (photos) / This Crippled Man Decides To Work Instead Of Begging (photos) / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Begging Now A Profession? by SPIFF(m): 12:58pm On Nov 27, 2007
used to drive pass Iju road, Agege (a suburb of Lagos) regularly. There is a particular junction called Fagba Junction. Some of us that are used to the area know how choatic the junction used to be. Just like most Lagos streets, where you find beggers. There are alot of them on this road too. There is this particular young boy I used to notice whenever I pass. He should be around 14 years of age.
On this particular day, he came near my window and sought for alms. I replied him that he should go and enroll in school or trade. Afterall, nothing much is wrong with him only that he had one poor leg as a result of polio effect. He didn't say anything but left to seek favour from other cars waiting in queue. After few minutes he came back and said, "wetin you talk the other time?"I repeated my earlier statement. His response was shocking. He said,"work?, this one wey I dey do Nko?". i.e. This one Im doing what do you call it. I was dumbfolded and I dont even know the next reply i should give.

Please, my pple, what is this situation turning to? Is there any end to this menace? It is a big eyesore finding beggers all over our streets. What picture those it depicts to the outside world. What can we do as individual to discourage this act? What also do you think should be the part of govt. I want your responses.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by wham(m): 7:06am On Nov 28, 2007
Some beggars build Houses using your money

Some do juju for u using ur money according to what I heard

Be careful while giving alms

Though its good to have empathy for the poor
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by Ndipe(m): 11:49am On Nov 28, 2007
@the poster, why should the perception of the outside world on begging in Nigeria be an issue for all and sundry? Even in America, touted as the wealthiest nation in the world, there are beggars, lining up the streets, roads, holding cups, and advertising their condictions on placards to attract sympathisers. I am not in the position to judge them, because it is all about the vicissitudes of life. While it may not be a noble profession, however, there are some people who have been rewarded greatly in this profession. I understand that in certain parts of San Francisco, there are some beggars who have 'carved' out their own territory that no other beggar may traverse into that section, without risking a fight.

So, if you see a beggar and can afford to give him a handout, do so, if not, go your way. Most importantly, thank God that you are not in their situation to understand if they are real or fake.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by wham(m): 10:50pm On Nov 28, 2007
Summary:
That boy was self-employed and begging was his profession (Has a PHD with years of experience to show).
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by janami(f): 10:57pm On Nov 29, 2007
yes o. it is a big time business especially in the north cos affluent hausas are very generous to beggers. if u travel down there and u dnt understand hausa then u wnt know that the pitiful face they pull is all a front
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by finekid(m): 12:09am On Nov 30, 2007
Hmmnn. . .
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by 2flex(m): 12:23am On Nov 30, 2007
grin I think it is a big time business too.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by Bossman(m): 12:31am On Nov 30, 2007
Same thing here. The beggars on the streets of downtown Chicago have on the latest snickers and designer jeans. And these are able bodied individuals with absolutely nothing wrong with them. I still give one particular one about a buck a week though. Only because he is the only one that kind of says something, and wishes you a safe trip home, a blessed day on the way in, he even gives Xmas cards to his good customers.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by minute(f): 1:14am On Nov 30, 2007
there is absolutely nothing wrong in giving

and like ndipe said--if uve got some to spare give,and if u cant move on.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by ono(m): 5:45am On Nov 30, 2007
Interesting replies.

I think those of you who back the 'trade' definitely believe something motivates these beggars. Why should anything in this world motivate someone to go cap in hand abegging? . . . . . .just wondering out loud.

But, in retrospect, I think I'll live peaceably with these beggars than armed robbers.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by yimiton(f): 7:32am On Nov 30, 2007
Begging is not a profession but I really don't see why we should judge them. It's not an easy thing to do and when we say these plp should get jobs, I always wonder where we expect them to get jobs.

Is it in the same country where graduates and people with other formal kind of training go about from street to street, site to site seeking for jobs?
These people don't even have any form of training and are greatly disadvantaged.
Besides, the only thing a lot of them have ever done and known how to do is begging so, where do you want them to start from?

Sure, a few of them will be lucky to have dreams, stumble across someone or something that will change their lives forever and they will live a different life,but that is a very little percentage.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by tokunbobo(m): 9:41am On Nov 30, 2007
Well its bad that our cities are full of beggers. Naija own too much. I think the only way to discourage them is to stop giving them alms.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by kokorunna(m): 9:54am On Nov 30, 2007
I will never give any beggars money in Nigeria since I learnt that some use your money to do JUJU and others are basically greedy.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by uchetobi(f): 10:03am On Nov 30, 2007
Well am sorry but I have little or no sympathy for beggars, I don’t give them money either. If itrs their job so be it but their salary aint coming from me
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by efuah(f): 10:17am On Nov 30, 2007
uchetobi:

Well am sorry but I have little or no sympathy for beggars, I don’t give them money either. If itrs their job so be it but their salary aint coming from me

lmao grin u're funny. . . . anyway, perhaps i need to stop too, sometimes i simply can't help it undecided
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by uchetobi(f): 10:25am On Nov 30, 2007
@ Efuah LOL, io wasn’t trying to be funny, was just my sentiments, if u really don’t mind giving dem den don’t stop,
I just feel they are not deserviong, most of dem actually fake those disabilities while odas use d money for ritual, besides in d 9t they are the traffic thieves
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by yewaman1(m): 10:36am On Nov 30, 2007
[center]sometimes I wonder how we got here, were the rich gets richer
and the poor gets poorer, and the so called middle class has been wiped out,
there should be away out of begging and I think one sure way out of access to
EDUCATION for all, no matter who you are.[/center]
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by obyann(f): 10:44am On Nov 30, 2007
tokunbobo:

Well its bad that our cities are full of beggers. Naija own too much. I think the only way to discourage them is to stop giving them alms.

Thank you.

I give beggers money but not all of them. No matter how they fake it. I cannot be decieved by beggers again. They have done that in the past and succeeded, not now that my eyes are opened
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by yewaman1(m): 10:57am On Nov 30, 2007
[center]sometimes I wonder how we got here, were the rich gets richer
and the poor gets poorer, and the so called middle class has been wiped out,
there should be away out of begging and I think one sure way out is access to
EDUCATION for all, no matter who you are.[/center]
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by uchetobi(f): 11:01am On Nov 30, 2007
The middle class is re – emerging, the economy is getting better
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by gr8child(m): 11:21am On Nov 30, 2007
ono:

But, in retrospect, I think I'll live peaceably with these beggars than armed robbers.

Ono, the beggar kids you see on the streets may eventually grow up to be criminals and armed robbers, because they're already used to getting money without working for it. Where do you think area boys come from?

Don't get me wrong, my heart goes out to the less privileged but they're turning begging into an institution. There's a beggar without any visible sign of disability who I've seen begging on the streets since she was a child and I was in secondary school. Over 14 years ago & she's now a grown woman still begging on the streets. Part of charity is helping people help themselves. Helping them empower themselves is a better alternative. We cannot continue to indulge able people who use the excuse that the country is hard. It's hard for everyone.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by Pepeye(f): 11:28am On Nov 30, 2007
Na so we see am oh….too many of them around town
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by FunmyKemmy(f): 11:41am On Nov 30, 2007
[color=#770077][/color]Begging is not a profession but people are making a Profession out of it. Xt have mercies.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by ono(m): 12:33pm On Nov 30, 2007
gr8child:

Ono, the beggar kids you see on the streets may eventually grow up to be criminals and armed robbers, because they're already used to getting money without working for it. Where do you think area boys come from?

Don't get me wrong, my heart goes out to the less privileged but they're turning begging into an institution. There's a beggar without any visible sign of disability who I've seen begging on the streets since she was a child and I was in secondary school. Over 14 years ago & she's now a grown woman still begging on the streets. Part of charity is helping people help themselves. Helping them empower themselves is a better alternative. We cannot continue to indulge able people who use the excuse that the country is hard. It's hard for everyone.

Great point from great child.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by Albato(m): 12:34pm On Nov 30, 2007
People finally figure out what all those Malians and Chadians have been enjoying for years hanging around motor parks with their babies strapped to their backs.  cool
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by oziomatv(m): 12:35pm On Nov 30, 2007
The point I want to make is let us be of courage to the less priviledges. The courage I mean is not giving them money only but bring out some moral support remind them of something alternative to do out side begging. let's encourage sports, music, intertainments. these are things that reduce begging in developed world in america these are things that reduces begging to the number they are now, if not uppon their riches some lazy black americans excluding african origins who knows how they suffered to get visa would have mostly engaged in street  begging. I feel for them and am making plans toward something as my on contribution to my sweet nation issue like this.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by Seun(m): 12:43pm On Nov 30, 2007
You don't have to worry about beggars becoming armed robbers.
They are just as likely to become marketers or politicians. wink
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by idupaul: 12:51pm On Nov 30, 2007
Kinda sad that beggin has become a deep racket that we seem not to know about, In major Nigerian cities evry beggar space is owned by various cartels( u cant just wake up n take ur mat to start beggin any where/ u mite loose ur life), am talkin about beggin as a form of organized crime(yeah like cosa nostra) filled with deceit,sex,lies,fetish and even outright murder.Some of these beggars are even coerced by the cartels to use their ailments to draw sympathy, Beggin is alot deeper than we all know it, beneath those pitiful faces is a crime story.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by denony(m): 12:59pm On Nov 30, 2007
Me an scared giving those beggers on the road alms,
I've heard alot about them, I dont want to be a victim to any evil act.

I like giving alms if am in position but hearing the ugly things about these beggers on the road get me scared.

Though some of them needs help really, but how can we fish out the bad ones.
Some of them are on contract work, collect 10 from poeple get 20.

They are depriving people that really need the help their help.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by jintujinta(m): 1:17pm On Nov 30, 2007
I think there are two ways to it. there are genuine needy and there are lazy needy among the beggars. The genuine needy are either handicapped or have some hindering deformities that make working almost impossible whereas you see some other ones who are complete, agile and strong but LAZY.

I think one should help the genuine needy, especially the seriously disabled and the old and frail/sick. but i vehemently frown at giving alms to some lazy boys and girls pr man and woman. To them, begging is a profession, so they should sweat to earn that living just like other hardworking people sweat.

But it will be good if Government can do something about it. If it is not checked, it will spread poverty and manace on the streets.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by Maxidoe(m): 1:49pm On Nov 30, 2007
Kinda sad that beggin has become a deep racket that we seem not to know about,  In major Nigerian cities evry beggar space is owned by various cartels( u can't just wake up n take your mat to start beggin any where/ u mite loose your life), am talkin about beggin as a form of organized crime(yeah like cosa nostra) filled with deceit,sex,lies,fetish and even outright murder.Some of these beggars are even coerced by the cartels to use their ailments to draw sympathy, Beggin is alot deeper than we all know it, beneath those pitiful faces is a crime story

Thank you,this is quite an intelligent one

I grew up and school in the north,the beggars there are mostly Teens,popularly referred to as ALMAJIRI,i used to pity them and give them money so generously till i got to really know them,which was when there is a religous crises,this Almajiris constitute 90% of those who maim,slauther,rape,and burn alive people whom they know or think are none muslims,i experienced this ugly trend more than 4 times in both Kaduna and Kano states.They would do all this inspeakable acts to men,women,and even children,and would not listen no matter how you beg.I have personaly seen how a pregnant woman got her stomach ripped open with a knife and was left bleed and cry in pain to death.Because os this experience i HATE beggars with a passion.
Re: Is Begging Now A Profession? by mekoyo(m): 3:25pm On Nov 30, 2007
Its not a profession. We hear lot of stories about beggars, some say they are real and viceversa.
If you think or you are not convinced to give why reply them, some people just dont give them a reply or they dont say anything while some give out of pity.

Let me ask you if an adult had come to you would you have asked that question? Whatever your answer is So why not look for ways of ending this menace and live and lets live.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Department Of Petroleum Resources Salary / SAS Training Coming Up Soon In Lagos / Update: What I Suspected About My My Diabolic Boss Was Actually True.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.