Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,225 members, 7,829,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police (4375 Views)

Britain To Provide £6.7M To Rehabilitate IDP Victims / We‘ll Reorganise PDP To Regain Power At National Level — Dickson / Presidency Appoints New Inspector General Of Police, Raises Panel To Reorganise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by McKren(m): 9:27pm On Nov 28, 2007
In a desperate society like Nigeria, there is more likelihood for the unforseen to happen.

Even if bullion vans are led with Armoured Tanks robbers will still intercept them. They will simply equip themselves and outnumber the police.

But the issue is, having a great police is not about being able to act Commando or Robin Hood on the streets of Lagos as that will simply endanger the public. What is paramount is having a police that has the resources and skills to track down the criminals after such events and that is where those who are already perfect in the game come in.

Nigeria needs a police force that arrives at the scene of a crime investigation and professionally looks for leads rather than beating up and bullying members of that local community. That is where adequate training by a world class police force comes in.

It is so easy to call for salary increase and adequate funding which simply mean more money for the IGs and AIGs to share, but the fact remains that Nigerian police needs structural and institutional reforms.

The solution to every problem is not really to throw money at them.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by BigB11(m): 9:39pm On Nov 28, 2007
But the issue is, having a great police is not about being able to act Commando or Robin Hood on the streets of Lagos as that will simply endanger the public. What is paramount is having a police that has the resources and skills to track down the criminals after such events and that is where those who are already perfect in the game come in.

Nigeria needs a police force that arrives at the scene of a crime investigation and professionally looks for leads rather than beating up and bullying members of that local community. That is where adequate training by a world class police force comes in.

Absolutely incredibly stated!

This is why it is very difficult to pull a fight with you for too long (you're not stupid or MAMAJAMA).
Despite all the other stuff, you remain the man.

One love!
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by Mamajama(m): 10:41pm On Nov 28, 2007
What a gay, are you done with the ass licking? How can you intercept robbery in ISALE EKO with the traffic congestion? how can you communicate effectively when there are no reliable cars to chase the criminals? NEPA LOL?

How can you identify criminals when the community are not involved 100% in community policing and providing concrete evidence?

Have you looked at the Nigerian police force website? How many links on that site is working accordingly?

Look at a modern day police website and compare it to Nigerian police.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/portalEntityHomeAction.do?entityName=Police&entityNameEnumValue=33

Like I've said, you can't fix a broken toilet in your house from the outside.

We have different culture and different parameters that will hinder this.

The reason crime rates are high in Nigeria is because of poverty that was BESTOWED ON US BY PEOPLE LIKE IBB[/b]Lack of employment. we have to tackle the root cause before looking to outside world for assistance.

[b]Prosecute IBB,
get 10% of his stolen wealth and we can fund the police force adequately.

we can set up anonymous hotline that people can call in to provide informations
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by BigB11(m): 11:01pm On Nov 28, 2007
How can you intercept robbery in ISALE EKO with the traffic congestion? how can you communicate effectively when there are no reliable cars to chase the criminals? NEPA LOL?

MAMAJAMA:
Obviously, you have not been following all my posted comments regarding this subject; I will advise you to pay more attention before posting senseless statement as usual.
Trust me, you don't only sound retarded, you also make mentally disable folks look bad out there.

You need to simmer down and drink some water.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by BigB11(m): 11:07pm On Nov 28, 2007
My recommendation for the Fed Government is to setup a favourable platform for the Britain, this way the success of the project will become more feasible.

Favourable platform includes:
Better infrastructure
Better powersupply
Better technology
Better state of mind.
Better leadership
Better data structure and many many more.

But no more new uniform, pleaseeeeeeeee!
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by Mamajama(m): 11:08pm On Nov 28, 2007
If I am retarded, then your toothless father with all the money he stole can not buy class.  LOL

It amazes me how you try to talk of moving Nigerians forward and the only solution your DUMB ass has is IBB.

DUDE if anyone is retarded, it will be you and your family.  How can you relate or establish common grounds with the ordinary poor people in Nigeria when you've never held a job?

DO you even know how to start a car without calling DRIVER HURRY HURRY?

DONGON YARO
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by Mamajama(m): 11:12pm On Nov 28, 2007
@BIGB1 ok, since you have all this vision and goal for the NIGERIAN POLICE.

How come the toothless general ALIAS BABANGIDA MARADONA not look at implementing all this strategy in the 8 years he mercilessly ruled our beloved nation?

was he too busy sending letter bombs or finding ways to cover his tracks?

or covering all the drug deals Mariam was involved in? grin grin grin grin

you still my boy. we will eat more pepper soup next month when i come home. ABOKI YARO NA
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by BigB11(m): 11:15pm On Nov 28, 2007
Dude,
I don't think so, I'm a vegetarian.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by Mamajama(m): 11:17pm On Nov 28, 2007
MORE LIKE VEGITATIVE.

I think your MEDULA OBLONGATA has been domant for a long time. lol grin grin grin grin
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by BigB11(m): 11:23pm On Nov 28, 2007
Back to the topic

Something tells me that Okiro has a lot to do with this new strategy.

I wonder why Ehindero (aka police business man), the man who couldn't even afford to repaint his house in Ondo State just 10 years ago, couldn't come up with any better idea to improve police image through out his time as the IG?

I'm sorry, I was wrong; Ehindero did introduce new police uniform to restore the bright image of Nigerian police!

Right?
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by naijaway(m): 12:34am On Nov 29, 2007
We don't need the brits for this job in any way. Are we saying we need baton types of police or are we waiting 4 them to come tell us about the police structural organisation, or is it dat they will come and let our popos know how to discriminate blacks from whites or wat, or is this a delibrate loop hole for the west in planting spies that are police or wat is this unnecessary spending or is this for free; I just can't understand why we need them; or is it that when naija hear they are coming then everyone will act correct or wat, or is it that the brits police are the best in the world without equipments,etc. Naija is not a war torn country eventhough some people consider it as such, but my point is dat we don't need them(brits) for dat type stuff, is one thing if they are cooperating with naijas on how to do forensics, undercover operations, and how to make closed circuit cameras with wat we have then dats different but all that 1,000 popos under a couple of brit supervisors is very unwarranted and the senate should reject dat crap. We all know wat to do, even if anything, we should learn to steal and be able to implement all the successful countries ideas on tackling crime and police relations with neighborhoods but not solely for the brits. This really sounds like a plain ol slave mentality. If anyone doubt, tell me who came and taught d brits how to police their own? if it wasn't by experience and implementing from the best experience.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by folahann(m): 12:58am On Nov 29, 2007
Before effectivity, all the police officers have to be laid off and newly trained ones should be brought in because the corrupted mind of the present ones can never change
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by Mamajama(m): 2:44am On Nov 29, 2007
youcant laid off all the policemen. its just not possible. When was corruption legalised in Nigeria?

Who introduced Nigerian to operation chop for all?

Who brought 419 to Nigerian?

IBB, not until we go back to the root cause of why policemens are so corrupt. they will never ne reformed. you can go to space and bring astronaut. you cant pay people #10,000 a month and expect them to perform miracle.

people like IBB living in stupendous wealth. what makes IBB better than an ordinary policeman controlling traffic light?
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by Mamajama(m): 3:24am On Nov 29, 2007
Nice script for you BIGB1

IBB confessed with his mouth, while he was the head of State that the Nigerian economy has defied all known solutions, while touting himself as the evil genius. A short comment will be apposite here. Why wouldn’t the Nigerian economy defy All known economic solutions, when the man that is supposed to cure it of the cancer besetting it was busy administering the poisons of embezzlement on her weak frame. While Nigerians were been asked by this inglorious dictator to tightened their belts and embrace SAP, this guy was busy sending the Gulf War Oil windfall into his numbered accounts in Switzerland.

While he rapaciously plundered the Nigerian ivory tower denying the education sector of the requisite funds, and transforming our educational products into certifiable functional illiterates, his children were busy soaking the best of Western education outside Nigeria, with the Nigerian tax payers money. While our hospitals degenerated into not only mere consulting clinics during his tenure, but a place where people go to die, this man took a celebrated trip to France for an orthopaedic surgery to a leg that was there before he became president.

This is the man who has no feelings for the pain of Nigerians, and who insulted us by taking us for a ride for over 7years, and ended it with criminally annuling the will and mandate of the Nigerian people expressed through the ballot box on the 12th of June, 1993. The souls of those who died in that IBB orchestrated debacle will never allow this man to rest in peace.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by Jen33(m): 9:55am On Nov 29, 2007
Naijaway well written.

For everything we need to invite whites to teach us. Even how to police ourselves.

Worse still our former colonial rulers.

If that is not a sign of MENTAL SLAVERY I don't know what is.

Until we regain some degree of dignity, pride, and self-belief - and start looking to brainstorm and do things OUR WAY, we will know no progress.

Who did the Chinese invite to 'help them' train their police? Nobody.

At the most they went around and checked out other functioning systems - not just from one country - and returned home to build a force that worked for them.

Until we develop the confidence to do things this way, we will forever be the laughing stock of the world.

Rubbish.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by babasin(m): 10:45am On Nov 29, 2007
shocking!!! beyond words. what a pack of fools runing  Nigeria.

Okiro-IG said, "The Nigeria Police was created by the British and therefore, inviting them for the purpose of assisting us in certain area of need should be likened to a son looking up to his father for help. The invitation of the British police should not generate any controversy. They were our colonial master. In fact, the Nigeria police was formed by the British government and like father and son, a son should look up to a father over an issue he feels he is not too experienced on.

these are shameful statements. disgusting
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by Jen33(m): 11:20am On Nov 29, 2007
Babasin I agree with your sentiments. Many of our people have no shame.

Our ''father'' indeed.  angry

Get me a bucket. I need to puke.

Saddest thing is, many of our leaders think the same way.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by doyin13(m): 11:24am On Nov 29, 2007
@Jen

What is more shameful than our history of governance in this country.

Perhaps in the full glare of foreigners, we might be shamed enough
to do the right things, which i am in no doubt we are capable of doing.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by McKren(m): 11:54am On Nov 29, 2007
Getting some training from the British is not more shameful than wallowing in blind Pan Africanism while crime rates in Nigeria skyrocket.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by babasin(m): 1:35pm On Nov 29, 2007
Getting some training from the British

and who is giving the british training?
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by McKren(m): 2:53pm On Nov 29, 2007
well if you had a more efficient police they will learn from you
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by BigB11(m): 2:55pm On Nov 29, 2007
What is the difference between schooling or getting training oversea and bring training from oversea?

If you guys are so ashame, why did you leave Nigeria to attend various universities in UK or US?

If you guys are so ashame, why are you living in UK or US?

Nigerian police department has been defective for over 40 years and Nigeria as a nation is only 47 years old, what happened? Are you guys ashame of this fact?

If we are so proud, competent and very intelligent how come the defectiveness of this department is this old?

This is why we can never grow, we are busy flexing fake depleted muscle.

It is easy to criticize this move, afterall most of you guys don't live in Nigeria; hence you don't have to deal with weak security structure and substandard police operations.

If you can't catch them, you join them.
There is absolutely nothing bad in upgrading the skill and knowledge of the Nigerian police Department.

Instead of this move (Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police), let's say Yar'Adua decides to bring British pilot association to Nigeria to train Nigerian pilots because of excessive airplane crashes, how would you feel? Please, let me know what your reaction will be.

This is one of our problems, Nigerians don't get it and absolutely not ready to move forward; and this is also why morons like Ehindero (aka police business man) will forever linger in our society.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by McKren(m): 2:58pm On Nov 29, 2007
What is the difference between schooling or getting training oversea and bring training from oversea

I dont think I have found a better reason to agree with you since I came to nairaland.

Babasin the enlish language we are typing on nairaland is someone elses language, so if you think you are african enough type in your mother tongue lets see how much you will communicate
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by BigB11(m): 3:21pm On Nov 29, 2007
these are shameful statements. disgusting

@babasin:
I'm sorry to let you know that you're totally inaccurate; in fact, Okiro's statement happens to represent a leadership statement.
A true leader must:
Be honest and claim the responsibility.
Identify problems.
Evaluate problems.
Identify reasons for the problems.
Identify potential solutions.
Evaluate the solutions.
Select the best solution.
Execute the solution.
Evaluate progress and result.

I think Okiro has properly exercised these steps; he knows Nigerian police department has been forever depleted. They have absolutely no pride or integrity.
And he also knows what is missing.

Therefore, let's embrace his courage and sincerity.
For example, Ehindero ran all over the country building houses, the last thing on his mind at this period was training the Nigerian police.
OBJ on the other hand was also busy designing election rigging strategy and vindictively fighting his VP.
Let us take this move as an advancement; this is a sign for all that this new administration is attentive, serious and ready to elevate our substandard ways of life.

Instead of criticizing them, let us encourage them to setup proper ground for the British, this way the project will be accomplished successfully.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by Mamajama(m): 3:52pm On Nov 29, 2007
What is wrong with this boy and EHindero? you try to include his name with every conversation that you have. Are you jealous of his education? credential? accomplishment? integrity something that your father IBB does not have?

Mr. Okiro who spoke during his visit to Lagos to personally see the extent of damage to the collapsed building in Elere Police barracks described as, “baseless”, reactions trailing President Musa Yar’Adua’s invitation of the British Police to help restructure the Nigeria police Force (NPF) saying there was nothing wrong with it.

We dont evedon'tve a standard barracks or police departments, and you want to invite this people to come and reform what?

How many police barracks in Nigeria has generator? When Ehindero invited them to come and assit with the killer of Funsho Williams, what was the outcome?

How much more money do we have to waste in accommodating this people?

This idea is useless and there is absolutely nothing they can do to reform the force, the problem is within and must be resolved within.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by Bankole01(m): 4:33pm On Nov 29, 2007
It is okay to ask an expert to help you with information or equipment, it still takes the people on the ground to complete the task however.
Nigeria can ask Britain for logistics help and training for the police. Without a competent force hhowever, it will fail as all white elephant projects.
Our neo-colonial leaders have been so run by foreign powers, they lack the capacity to think and solve problems on their own.

If we have white people running our Police Force, it will cause resentment and low morale among the rank and file. Just like in the days of old, when white people ran most parastals and big companies. The indegenes feel as if they are working for foreign powers and consequently, not care very much for success.

This is what I believe Nigeria needs to do:

1. First of all, the infrastrusture has to be improved for better monitoring and policing.
2. There are law enforcement officers working in foreign countries, who can be utilised to augment the Nigerian police.
They can help with training and be in many leadership positions based on their training. They must also be well paid and repartrated with all expenses paid.
3. More trainers can be sent abroad for training, and they in turn become trainers at home.
4. Further recruits into the police should be olny educated men and women, who are in turn well paid and well equiped to do a good job.
5. The rank and file should audited to weed out the bad and ill-educated eggs. The rest should then be re-trained to a better standard.
6. There should a laid down law and rules on renumeration. It will spell out how much you earn as a recruit , first, second and consecutive years. An incentive for longevity pay and retiremnts will be spelt out clearly and adhered to.
The rank and file will also be allowed to do collective bargaining for renumeration.

Foreign government can be asked to help with donations of equipment, but they cannot do the work for us.
A good force has to be manned by indegenes of the land.
The general populace of Nigeria, needs also to be educated on cooperating with the police. The people need to the eyes and ears of thepolice at times, ready to report and witness to crimes commited.

Of cource, nothing will ever work if we don't honestly do away with the corruption that has eaten into the very fabric of our nation.
The fish rots from the head down. Nigeria is a bloated whale which stinks to high heavens.
We all have to be hands on in cleaning up our image and acts.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by babasin(m): 5:24pm On Nov 29, 2007
if you can write below, why should Yaradua now need british police to write same for him??

Nobody is saying dont get help but are you sure the help is not at your doorstep:

1. First of all, the infrastrusture has to be improved for better monitoring and policing.
2. There are law enforcement officers working in foreign countries, who can be utilised to augment the Nigerian police.
They can help with training and be in many leadership positions based on their training. They must also be well paid and repartrated with all expenses paid.
3. More trainers can be sent abroad for training, and they in turn become trainers at home.
4. Further recruits into the police should be olny educated men and women, who are in turn well paid and well equiped to do a good job.
5. The rank and file should audited to weed out the bad and ill-educated eggs. The rest should then be re-trained to a better standard.
6. There should a laid down law and rules on renumeration. It will spell out how much you earn as a recruit , first, second and consecutive years. An incentive for longevity pay and retiremnts will be spelt out clearly and adhered to.
The rank and file will also be allowed to do collective bargaining for renumeration.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by Bankole01(m): 5:38pm On Nov 29, 2007
babasin:

if you can write below, why should Yaradua now need british police to write same for him??

Nobody is saying don't get help but are you sure the help is not at your doorstep:

?
explain please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by BigB11(m): 5:56pm On Nov 29, 2007
Nobody is saying don't get help but are you sure the help is not at your doorstep:

Then, we must be severely retarded if the help at our doorstep is only being ignored for more than 40 years. How long can we go like this?
Something must be definitely wrong; may be we just need[b] British training [/b] to assist us to recognize the help (according to Babasin), which is all over our front yard.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by Jen33(m): 9:25pm On Nov 29, 2007
The British will never train you to think independently. Because that renders them irrelevant.

The problem people have here is they do not take a historical look at things.

You, BigB1 asked why Nigerians are in university overseas etc. But the reason this is more acceptable is that at least we know that we are learning what they themselves are learning/teaching their own students etc etc. It is 'generic' learning.

The Yar Adua idea on the other hand is different. Here, the Brits, before coming, will devise a 'Nigeria-specific', training, with different motives from that which dictates policing in the UK, JUST AS THEY DID WHEN THEY FORMED THE NIGERIAN POLICE IN THE YEAR 18whatever.

The occupier mentality of our policemen issues from their BRITISH training!

The colonialists created a police force which regarded the people as enemies. Go and read the history of the Nigerian police. Their brutal conduct is straight out of the colonial era.

So INVITING the same British to come and train them is naive indeed, as Britain STILL plays a role in ensuring Nigerians are governed in line with neo-colonialist principles (federalism, 'free trade', privatisation, market liberalisation etc) and the inequities engendered by those policies, which would require an occupier mentality among the police to enforce on the people.

Therefore it will be foolhardy to expect much noticeable change from the Nigerian police as a result of their ''British training''.
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by Kobojunkie: 10:35pm On Nov 29, 2007
Jen33:

The British will never train you to think independently. Because that renders them irrelevant.

The problem people have here is they do not take a historical look at things.

You, BigB1 asked why Nigerians are in university overseas etc. But the reason this is more acceptable is that at least we know that we are learning what they themselves are learning/teaching their own students etc etc. It is 'generic' learning.

The Yar Adua idea on the other hand is different. Here, the Brits, before coming, will devise a 'Nigeria-specific', training, with different motives from that which dictates policing in the UK, JUST AS THEY DID WHEN THEY FORMED THE NIGERIAN POLICE IN THE YEAR 18whatever.

The occupier mentality of our policemen issues from their BRITISH training!

The colonialists created a police force which regarded the people as enemies. Go and read the history of the Nigerian police. Their brutal conduct is straight out of the colonial era.

So INVITING the same British to come and train them is naive indeed, as Britain STILL plays a role in ensuring Nigerians are governed in line with neo-colonialist principles (federalism, 'free trade', privatisation, market liberalisation etc) and the inequities engendered by those policies, which would require an occupier mentality among the police to enforce on the people.

Therefore it will be foolhardy to expect much noticeable change from the Nigerian police as a result of their ''British training''.

Please tell me you are joking with this?? LMAO!!!!  When are we going to loose this mentality and take advantage of what we have available the best we can?? The military force we have in nigeria alone are the way they are cause foreign forces come in to train them in weapons and arms use as well as offering them all other forms of training that may be needed, at least 3 times a year. Why not allow them come in to help us with the police?? When are we going to loose this THEY ARE ALL TRYING  TO GET US mentality and focus on getting as much as we can from them??

We have many of use going to school out there to study, not cause we can do better at home than we can when we go out there to get the education at the moment. Why not apply the same mentality with this? Why the change?? We can get our leaders and people trained under them but when it comes to our security staff, we should not do same even though we know theirs is over 100 times better than ours??

We have absolutely NOThing to loose in this. We have not been able to accomplish much since we have been doing it on our own. They have on the other hand shown they can do a better job with their own force than we have been able to and so it is not wrong to borrow information and skills from then in this. Nigeria is already at a low, so need to talk of black pride or whatever will be cooked up next as reason for this not being a good idea. Fact is. WE HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO DO IT ON OUR OWN. Simple!!
Re: Yar'adua Invites Britain To Reorganise Nigerian Police by babasin(m): 10:40pm On Nov 29, 2007
@bankole,

If yaradua can work on all what you listed below, 70% problem is resolved. so we dont need british. it means nigerians can solve their own problem only the 'will' to do so lacking

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Opponents Of National Conference, Enemies Of Nigeria – Aregbesola. / Strange!!! Chibok Girls Kidnapped “over Three Months” Ago – President Tells UN. / The World Is Now Talking About Biafra Thanks To Nnamdi Kanu And Ipob

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.