Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,572 members, 7,816,406 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:44 AM

What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? (13899 Views)

What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) / What Is The Difference Between Soul Winning And Evangelism? / Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by member479760: 8:44pm On Jun 22, 2012
We forcing ourselves on this English, if really you can translate soul and spirit/wine into your native dialect then one would not have issue to differentiate.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by lekkie073(m): 9:00pm On Jun 22, 2012
Man is made up of mind body and soul. In the mind resides the spirit. The spirit through the mind gives rise to emotions. When a man is down emotionally, it is often said that his spirit is down.
The soul is a force that generates life through the activation of the mind which in turn activates d body.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jun 22, 2012
The spirit is pure soul, as in it's not attached to any corruptible matter, such as the body.

As long as a man lives he has a soul, when he dies and he gets rid of his body he becomes a spirit.

Being God a pure soul who has never suffered from imperfection, he needed a body to come down to Earth to interact physically with humans: Jesus.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by Beync(f): 9:09pm On Jun 22, 2012
The soul is ur body/flesh while the spirit is life active force
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by lekkie073(m): 9:14pm On Jun 22, 2012
Being God a pure soul who has never suffered from imperfection, he needed a body to come down to Earth to interact physically with humans: Jesus.

[/quote]
CRK101 grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by lekkie073(m): 9:17pm On Jun 22, 2012
Beync: The soul is ur body/flesh while the spirit is life active force
embarassed
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by crackjoor: 9:18pm On Jun 22, 2012
does is mean dat The spe.rm and egg have spirit too? Cuz i dont knw how it cums 2 enter into a newborn baby...
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by crackhouse(m): 9:21pm On Jun 22, 2012
Every being is made up of spirit and soul. The spirit instructs the soul on what to do, then the soul drives the body. Man communicates to God through his spirit because God is also a spirit. Whenever u are praying to God, u have to be in spirit in order to communicate with God otherwise ur prayer will not be heard. One way to be in spirit is to visualise the existence of God in ur mind or in other words build up ur faith in him when praying. For instance, it takes only the person who is in spirit to receive annointing during deliverance, u don't receive anointing when u are not in spirit. There are bad spirit and good spirit which is of devil and God respectively. Whenever the bad spirit instruct ur soul to do evil, the good spirit opposes it, and this normally leads to fight b/w the two spirits but if u are always close to God in prayer or listens to God's words, definitely the good spirit will subdue the bad one and the bad one will leave thereby making u not to sin but if u don't come close to God in prayers & also don't listen to his words, the bad spirit will succeed whenever it comes because the spirit of God which u have drived away {b/cos u are far from God} is no longer in u. That's why the evil men don't look back or think twice whenever they are planning or doing evil because the spirit of God is no longer in them. When the bad or evil spirit dominates ur body, it will be the only spirit that dictates for ur soul on what to do and ur soul will now drive ur body. U have to be coming close to God in prayers constantly so that the evil or bad spirit will not have the chance to dominate ur soul & body. Ur closeness to God helps in driving away the bad spirit but if u detach urself from God, the bad spirit will come in. It's ur soul that faces judgement after death so if u allow the bad spirit to lead u, ur soul will end up in hell but if u allow the good spirit to lead u, ur soul will end up in heaven.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by Beync(f): 9:31pm On Jun 22, 2012
lekkie073: embarassed
so what is ur own conception of soul and spirit?
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by OdyOdy(m): 9:37pm On Jun 22, 2012
I Thessalonians 5.23 reads: "May the God of peace himself sanctify you wholly; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." This means there is a difference between the both.

Then, Gen. 2.7 ASV says "And Jehovah God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul". And that explains it. The spirit is divine, from God. The soul is the result of the spirit in the body. It is the emotional part of the human. It sings, it worships, it praises, It could also be wicked and selfish in another sense. The body apart from the spirit was dead, but with the spirit man was made alive. The organ thus animated was called the soul.

"God treated man's soul as something unique. As the angels were created as spirits, so man was created predominantly as a living soul. Man not only had a body, a body with the breath of life; he became a living soul as well. Thus we find later in the Scriptures that God often referred to men as souls. Why? Because what the man is depends on how his soul is. His soul represents him and expresses his individuality. It is the organ of man's free will, the organ in which spirit and body are completely merged. If man's soul wills to obey God, it will allow the spirit to rule over the man as ordered by God. The soul, if it chooses, also can suppress the spirit and take some other delight as lord of the man. This trinity of spirit, soul and body may be partially illustrated by a light bulb. Within the bulb, which can represent the total man, there are electricity, light and wire. The spirit is like the electricity, the soul the light, and body the wire. Electricity is the cause of the light while light is the effect of electricity. Wire is the material substance for carrying the electricity as well as for manifesting the light. The combination of spirit and body produces soul, that which is unique to man. As electricity, carried by the wire, is expressed in light, so spirit acts upon the soul and the soul, in turn, expresses itself through the body."- Watchman Nee
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by buzugee(m): 9:38pm On Jun 22, 2012
soul and spirit are the same. they are synonyms. when you die and your spirit leaves your body and exists alone, then it is called the spirit. however when you are alive and it is within you, then it is called a soul. its like me saying if i remove groundnut from the shell, and give it another name, then it is something different. a groundnut is a groundnut whther it exists in a shell or whether removed from the shell. i may call them different names like -unshelled groundnut and shelled groundnut. thats all there is to it.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by chyket(m): 9:47pm On Jun 22, 2012
I am a Christian so I will try to give a Christian perspective if it's ok by you.
Man is made of Body,Soul and Spirit. The Body is the one you have on physically,The Soul is where feelings,imaginations and emotions manifest,The Spirit is the one that is eternal.
When you as a Christian accept Christ as the Saviour and Lord,your spirit is renewed and made heaven bound and the devil will never have access to it again.
The only battle you now have is to continually fight to be able to subject your Soul and Body under your Spirit so that you can leave a victorious Christian life.
But We have to note that the only condition which will make your spirit to be accessible to the devil is if you renounce Christ.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by buzugee(m): 9:50pm On Jun 22, 2012
those saying the body is 3 parts ? come on now. ECCLESIASTES 12 VS 7 and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it. THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DIE. THE BODY RETURNS TO THE GROUND AND THE SPIRIT BACK TO GOD WHO GAVE IT. 2 PARTS NOT 3 PARTS.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by OdyOdy(m): 9:55pm On Jun 22, 2012
buzugee: those saying the body is 3 parts ? come on now. ECCLESIASTES 12 VS 7 and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it. THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DIE. THE BODY RETURNS TO THE GROUND AND THE SPIRIT BACK TO GOD WHO GAVE IT. 2 PARTS NOT 3 PARTS.

And the soul goes for judgement.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:05pm On Jun 22, 2012
It is not in the constitution of dogs to communicate via talking. But they do communicate via barking. The same question could be flipped around ansd ask why men don't bark? It is not in a man's constitution to bark. Instead, we speak. whether it is by barking or speaking through words, man and dog both "communicate".
kwenu:
IF THERE S NO DIFFERENCE THEN WHY DONT WE SEE DOGS TALK LIKE WE HUMANS,

It is quite obvious that SPIRIT and SOUL are both used interchangeably in the bible. I wouldn't trust the book to make a proper distinction between the two elements. Besides, i think it is the SOUL of Moses being talked about in that verse, not his spirit.

As far as i am concerned, only a soul can be transfered, not the spirit. But let us agree to disagree on that.
kwenu:
I DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THIS,
YES SPIRITS ARE EVERYWHERE BUT THEY NEED TO BE TRANSFERED
SPIRITS ARE TRANSFERABLE , STUDY YOUR BIBLE, THE SPIRIT IN MOSES WAS TRANSFERED TO THE ELDERS OF ISREAL ELISHA REQUESTED FOR A SPIRIT TRANSFER,(CHECK YOUR OLD TESTAMENT)BY GOD.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by buzugee(m): 10:06pm On Jun 22, 2012
Ody-Ody:

And the soul goes for judgement.
Once it leaves your body, it is no longer called soul. your spirit returns to the lord ( ecclesiastes 12 vs 7 and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it. )

and then your spirit rests with the lord for 3 or 4 generations. and then you reincarnate back into the earth to recieve your judgement for how you lived your life. earth is the judgement ground. earth is where you pay for your sins. so when you reincarnate back to earth in a new body, then your soul recieves judgement.

ecclesiastes 3 vs 16[b] And I saw something else under the sun: In the place of judgment--wickedness was there, in the place of justice--wickedness was there.[/b] ( the place of judgement under the sun is earth. earth is where you recieve judgement from past life sins )

2 esdras 14 vs 35 Judgment comes after death, when we are restored to life, ( letting you know that you recieve judgement when you are reincarnated back to the earth ). and that in a nutshell is the sequence of life.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:09pm On Jun 22, 2012
Buzugee, you don dey smoke gbanna? Wetin you dey talk for hia? The talk here is that a living being is made up of 3 parts; SPIRIT, SOUL and BODY. Those are the 3 parts to any living organism. At death, the spirit and the soul leave the body and the body falls apart and decays. Where is the argument?
buzugee: those saying the body is 3 parts ? come on now. ECCLESIASTES 12 VS 7 and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it. THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DIE. THE BODY RETURNS TO THE GROUND AND THE SPIRIT BACK TO GOD WHO GAVE IT. 2 PARTS NOT 3 PARTS.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:12pm On Jun 22, 2012
I personally disagree that they are one and the same. They are neither similar nor are they synonyms. They are fundamentally different elements.
buzugee: soul and spirit are the same. they are synonyms. when you die and your spirit leaves your body and exists alone, then it is called the spirit. however when you are alive and it is within you, then it is called a soul. its like me saying if i remove groundnut from the shell, and give it another name, then it is something different. a groundnut is a groundnut whther it exists in a shell or whether removed from the shell. i may call them different names like -unshelled groundnut and shelled groundnut. thats all there is to it.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by buzugee(m): 10:15pm On Jun 22, 2012
Jenwitemi: Buzugee, you don dey smoke gbanna? Wetin you dey talk for hia? The talk here is that a living being is made up of 3 parts; SPIRIT, SOUL and BODY. Those are the 3 parts to any living organism. At death, the spirit and the soul leave the body and the body falls apart and decays. Where is the argument?
listen hard bruh. spirit is when the force has left your body in death and exists alone without a casing. soul is when the force is still in your body in life. the force is 'breath'. if you look up the word soul and spirit in greek, they both mean breath. these 2 words are synonyms, meaning they are the same word with different names. an example of a synonym will be 'soakies' and 'garri'. like how some people say i wan drink soakies. someone else says i wan drink garri. same thing-different name. and why should it matter to you anyhow ? you are an atheist right ? so you shouldnt believe in a spirit lol
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by Heck: 10:23pm On Jun 22, 2012
BODY = FLESH
SOUL = MIND
(the real man that never dies. The soul that dies refers to the you that will stand in judgement after physical death. the soul that lives is in heaven, the soul that dies is in hell. For real, soul is the man that will never die otherwise called the spirit man)
SPIRIT = GOD or SATAN
for clarity: there are three major categories of spirits in nomenclatural palance. that is
spirit of man = SOUL
spirit of God = HOLY SPIRIT
spirit of Satan = EVIL SPIRIT
Thanks
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by stpat1(m): 10:24pm On Jun 22, 2012
Your soul gives your body life. Your spirit is your free will and your emotions: love, hate, joy, sadness...

Genesis 2:7 (KJV) And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Genesis 35:18 (KJV) And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin.

Genesis 41:7 (KJV) And the seven thin ears devoured the seven rank and full ears. And Pharaoh awoke, and, behold, it was a dream.
Genesis 41:8 (KJV) And it came to pass in the morning that his spirit was troubled; and he sent and called for all the magicians of Egypt, and all the wise men thereof: and Pharaoh told them his dream; but there was none that could interpret them unto Pharaoh.

Genesis 45:27 (KJV) And they told him all the words of Joseph, which he had said unto them: and when he saw the wagons which Joseph had sent to carry him, the spirit of Jacob their father revived:

Exodus 35:21 (KJV) And they came, every one whose heart stirred him up, and every one whom his spirit made willing, and they brought the LORD'S offering to the work of the tabernacle of the congregation, and for all his service, and for the holy garments.

Proverbs 20:27 (KJV) The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by Heck: 10:32pm On Jun 22, 2012
when you hear strange voice, the type Samuel heard and ran to Eli, it may be coming from God or satan.
it may as well be mundane, in which case the person hallucinates. in these cases, the soul is under huge external influence.
The soul is the you. the spirit you. the unseen you. the you that reasons. the you that chooses. the external spirits often imposes choices on us. sometimes, it is advice. tiny voice asking you to kill your mother OR not to enter DANA aircraft.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by Ayomivic(m): 10:59pm On Jun 22, 2012
Adeniyi A.:
please i need an enlightened response on the difference between 'SOUL & SPIRIT. thank

I think buzugee was right but he did not explain it very well .Logic mind was right too but i did not agree with some aspect in his post.Before i go into my own explanation on this issue, i will like to ask if you have ever thought about reason the bible says our body is a temple of God ?

The spirit is a supernatural being. Some spirit are good while some spirit are evil as logic mind had said.God is a spirit, Angels are spirit, Satan is a spirit as well as other fallen angels. They were sent out of heven and became an evil to human being. Spirit does not have soul like human being i think. They can take form of anything they desire.They are immortal.That was the reason i said logic mind was correct

About soul, soul has to do with human being.Let read from bible the relationship of both.

The Lord God fomed man of the dust of the graund and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and the man became a living soul .Genesis 2:7

Here the God transfered spirit into the man with became a soul in man.This God's spirit that is in man can not die also and this make a man half of spirit. This was the reason i said buzugee was rigt too.

Let me me explain here the question that use to arise. Some people will asked why God would punish people he created. I think if we are ordinary dust God can destroy human being without pity on them but human being share something from God and that thing is his spirit

The spirit of God hath made me and the breath of almighty hath gave me life Job 33 :4

if human bein die the soul, the spirit would return to God and the man would discard the body but God can not accept all the soul the reason is that the God is holy,he can't accept the corrupt soul. The bible say evil can't dwell with God. This soul also can't die and that was the reason they have to be burnt by fire

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was,and the spirit shall return to God who who gave it. Eccleriastes 12:7

logicmind said the spirit can die he then quoted from the bible that the soul that sinneth shall die.This is where i disagreed with logic mind. Soul can't die. This is reason God is calling on us to purify our soul so that he can take us back. Satan can corrupt the soul.Therefore
The spirit and soul are almost thesame to me.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by yamato(m): 11:07pm On Jun 22, 2012
Take ur bible wit u
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by yamato(m): 11:11pm On Jun 22, 2012
If u realy want Bible answer.Take ur bible wit u and invite a Jehovah's Witness to explain for u
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by donigspain(m): 11:13pm On Jun 22, 2012
crackhouse: do u now believe in God? U talked as if u now believe that God exists or are u high on some white stuff at the moment? Because i know u as a diehard atheist. Can't believe u are now mentioning God, heaven, holy spirit, hell and judgement. Hmm
I believe he (Logic mind), probably, had a life-changing encounter... He's been mentioning GOD in many a post recently.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by nikky5(m): 11:16pm On Jun 22, 2012
There is a big difference between the soul and the spirit and I have this several times.As a christian we believe in the Trinity.Man also is three:body soul and spirit.At creation God "
Gen 2:7
And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.The Spirit of God is the breath of life that makes a man(dust) a living soul.That soul resides in a container call body

1 Thess 5:23
and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.A man dies when the breath of life (spirit of God) leaves his body and go back to God

Eccl 12:7
Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.The soul of man will continue and endless journey throughout eternity after judgement.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by Dagods(m): 11:18pm On Jun 22, 2012
Well a lot of idea's,&xplanation,but all of u r on dis wonderful ideologist 'buzugee'd man simply made it straight on-point,"IRON SHAPPEN IRON"chikena.but tanx 2 u all infact i am learning a lot from u guyz.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by buzugee(m): 11:29pm On Jun 22, 2012
Dagods: Well a lot of idea's,&xplanation,but all of u r on dis wonderful ideologist 'buzugee'd man simply made it straight on-point,"IRON SHAPPEN IRON"chikena.but tanx 2 u all infact i am learning a lot from u guyz.
IRON SHARPENS IRON my Brother.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by donigspain(m): 11:31pm On Jun 22, 2012
MY OPINION:
Man is a SPIRIT, having a SOUL and living in a BODY.

SPIRIT = Breath of God during creation.
SOUL = the compromizable force of choice/reason (mind)
BODY = physical abode of both the spirit and the soul which enables earthly/physical interaction to take place.
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by linearity: 11:35pm On Jun 22, 2012
denitro: The spirit and body together constitute the Soul of Man (Mankind). "The spirit and the body are the soul of man"
The soul is the union of a spirit, and a temporal body, which is formed by physical conception on earth.
After death, the spirit continues to live and progress in the Spirit world until the resurrection,
when it is reunited with the body that once housed it. This reuniting of body and spirit results in a perfect soul
that is immortal and eternally young and healthy

[size=18pt]SPIRIT + BODY = SOUL[/size]

u sure say that ur maths no wrong so?

it is more like:

Body = Spirit + Soul
Re: What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? by FXKing2012(m): 11:50pm On Jun 22, 2012
Logic Mind: Buzugee is wrong as usual.
There is a huge difference.
Spirit is everywhere. There are good and evil spirits, there is a holy spirit, an amadioha spirit, etc. No soul equvalents. Ever heard of the Holy Soul?.
Spirits can exist on their own and interact with the living. It is your virtual self. Souls live inside people and record everything for judgement.

Put is this way: the soul is the internal hard drive god put in you to record all your actions. When you die, this data is transfered to the mobile external drive called spirit. It is the spirit that wanders the earth as ghosts. It is the spirit that will stand judgement based on its data. And it is the spirit that will enjoy heaven or endure hell.
The bible made clear that souls die. Spirits never die.
Ezekiel 18:20, "The soul that sinneth, it shall die."

Good to see u are now a believer and I'm glad I played a role in converting you from an atheist to a believer. Welcome bro!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Want To Get Committed To A Church / Bible Verses For Today / Bishop Oyedepo's Church Member Welcomes Twins After Over 10yrs Of Marriage(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.