Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,467 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk (15605 Views)

20 Year-old Onitsha House Maid Hacked To Death For Refusing Sex With Boss’s Son / Nigerian Man Sentenced To Life In Prison For Drug Trafficking In Indonesia (Pic) / Calabar Boy Caught And Burnt To Death For Stealing (Graphic Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Codedrock(m): 5:15am On Jun 22, 2012
A Jos High Court on Thursday sentenced a 26-year-old man, Obinah John, to death by hanging for robbing one Dorothy Olaniyi of N1,705.
The convict was also sentenced to death for robbing Olaniyi of two rolls of peak milk in sachets, valued at N400.

The prosecution counsel, Mr G. D. Fwonyon, who is the deputy director, Public Prosecution in Plateau State had told the court that John, in company with an accomplice, also named John, now at large, robbed the woman on November 18, 2005 in her shop at Gada Biu, Jos at gunpoint.

He told the court that John and his accomplice, having allegedly conspired and used a gun to rob Olaniyi, had committed a criminal offence punishable by hanging.
But John’s counsel, Mr. Tobechukwu Kekemeke, rejected the prosecutor’s claim, and accused the police of “not telling the truth about the gun” said to have been used by John.

Kekemeke pointed out that the police presented three statements, with only the last indicating a confession by the accused that he used a gun against the victim.

The defence counsel further argued that the prosecution had failed to prove to the court that the accused actually used a gun to commit the act.

He asked the court to throw out the case for lack of diligent prosecution, arguing that “the circumstances of the third statement, in which John was said to have admitted ownership of the gun, is suspect.”

In a 60-page judgment, Justice Yargata Nimpa said the evidence before the court had shown that the accused committed the offence and sentenced John to death by hanging.

“The accused is hereby sentenced to death by hanging, but the judgement is liable to an appeal,” Nimpa declared.
Kekemeke told the News Agency of Nigeria that he would appeal against the verdict.

“The convict has the right to appeal against the judgment. It is not a judgment that we are satisfied with, so we are definitely going to appeal at the Court of Appeal,” he vowed.

http://www.punchng.com/news/court-sentences-man-to-death-for-stealing-n1705-cash-and-n400-milk/

1 Like

Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Nobody: 5:29am On Jun 22, 2012
this is another conspiracy against the Igbos, a Yoruba woman conspiring with Plateau people to hang an Igbo robber, Obinah grin

2 Likes

Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Nobody: 5:35am On Jun 22, 2012
Robbing from "poor" ngbatis. Life is hard mehn, I tell you.

But the sentencing na wa o! Was the judge a yaribu man?
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Oshiite: 5:48am On Jun 22, 2012
Wot kind of rubbish judgemnt is this,notice me or i die judge seeking relevance

1 Like

Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by ULSHERLAN(m): 6:07am On Jun 22, 2012
This judgement was delivered early @a time Lawan is still walking free

2 Likes

Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Nobody: 8:22am On Jun 22, 2012
Dis judgement reminds me of the cecilia ibrus and bode georges of dis country,were they sentenced to death
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by hycebee(m): 8:57am On Jun 22, 2012
@op shocked shocked shocked
Can't believe what I'm reading. Please tell me this is all a joke. So judge did sentence the guy to death without proofing his case beyond a reasonable doubt. Can some tell the judge that the armed robbery evidence is circumstancial? Gosh! Dis country na hellhole. And to the prosecutors, if u really want 2 nail a criminal u present a rock-solid evidence against him. Coercing a confession aint good enough.

Wey those lawyers na? Humman right activists? This guy really needs you. Men, I wish say I be lawyer. sad sad
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by BlackBaron: 9:03am On Jun 22, 2012
The hypocrisy of the Nigerian state.

One rule for the poor, another for the rich.

3 Likes

Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by NaMe4: 9:06am On Jun 22, 2012
Meanwhile, those who have robbed the Country in broad daylight and those who sponsor terrorism either walk freely undisturbed or granted indefinite bail.

1 Like

Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by collins123(m): 9:51am On Jun 22, 2012
Na-Me:
Meanwhile, those who have robbed the Country in broad daylight and those who sponsor terrorism either walk freely undisturbed or granted indefinite bail.

I CRY IN SHAME
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by ballabriggs: 9:53am On Jun 22, 2012
And you say the man who stole $20 billion should not be shot? This country is a big joke.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by unclebros: 9:53am On Jun 22, 2012
In a 60-page judgment, Justice Yargata Nimpa said the evidence before the court had shown that the accused committed the offence and sentenced John to death by hanging.

60 page document for stealing 1,200 ??

We go need encyclopaedia for Lawan and the rest grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Nobody: 9:55am On Jun 22, 2012
So if our politicians are tried and found guilty, they should be sentenced to death at least 436 times.

1 Like

Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Jabioro: 9:55am On Jun 22, 2012
Imagine dis rubbish! And how much govt might have been spending in pursuing dis case.am tired and sick of dis banana r'public.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by richmans(m): 9:56am On Jun 22, 2012
Na wa o,bt all he stole is not up to #5000,wat about those pple who rub us wit plenty money,farouk and others why ar dey nt sentence to dealth abi den pass law.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by yeye4live(m): 9:56am On Jun 22, 2012
LoL u stil millions in dis country u go free,u take peanut cuse of hungry u die by hanging,I tink this country s dead already
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by RichDad1(m): 9:57am On Jun 22, 2012
can i have this freaking,f*cking judge's phone number? angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by wirewire(m): 9:59am On Jun 22, 2012
if am d accused, i will make sure the jugde goes down with me right dia. what a Bleep, pple r stealing millions and billions and nothing has been done seriously about it and somebody is sentencing someone to death cos of 2000. am so angry.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by wirewire(m): 10:00am On Jun 22, 2012
Rich Dad: can i have this freaking,f*cking judge's phone number? angry angry angry angry angry angry
seconded,get it and send it too to me. she should go down. what a Bleep
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by ismhab(m): 10:01am On Jun 22, 2012
There is difference between stealing and robbing.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Biggyd2: 10:02am On Jun 22, 2012
Someone said that if you are stealing in this country, chop de moni yanfu yanfu so that paradventure you are caught, you will use a minute bit of the loot to settle all that need to be settled and thereafter smile back to your loot. I think this is an unfair judge. So if you want to kill a fly you use a sledge hammer and when it is an elepnant, you use a hand fan to smack its back(well this seems to be the Nigerian context) shocked

7 Likes

Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Boboedom: 10:04am On Jun 22, 2012
That judge need his head examined, seriously. The country is being turned into a huge joke.

1 Like

Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by wowo2: 10:06am On Jun 22, 2012
What if he had illegally collected 620,000 dollars, or stolen billions of pension fund or inflated contracts at NPA?
He would have been ordered to die many times, or go scot free and awarded a national honour?
9ja for show
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by ikoha: 10:06am On Jun 22, 2012
the judge is a joker. Imagine!
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Nobody: 10:06am On Jun 22, 2012
This is preposterous, if this man can be sentenced to death by hanging just because he stole these little things, then I see no reason why the likes of the then & now numerous political thieve should'nt be massacred.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by stepo707: 10:08am On Jun 22, 2012
unclebros:

60 page document for stealing 1,200 ??

We go need encyclopaedia for Lawan and the rest grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Infact we need am.
Boboedom: That judge need his head examined, seriously. The country is being turned into a huge joke.
That stupid judge must be an idiot.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by newmaonza: 10:08am On Jun 22, 2012
The convict should have gone 4 plee bargaining. . . . . LoL
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by ikachi1: 10:09am On Jun 22, 2012
This John must be a fool. He is still living in the last millenium. Why not rob the central bank? He should be talking billions and trillions and not thousands. He should have been able to buy judge Awoku....hin to handle his case and he will surely be freed. I pity him! Even the devil will blame him for this foolishness.

1 Like

Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by Gentiejag(f): 10:11am On Jun 22, 2012
Tell me its not true!.....
Ar u kiddin me?infact u'v gotta b kiddin me...
Wtf!!!
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by ayox2003: 10:13am On Jun 22, 2012
Its disheartening! Not even upto $10.
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by edicolove: 10:13am On Jun 22, 2012
The judge is a f00l. No state governor will sign such a death warrant!
Re: Man Sentenced To Death For Stealing N1,705 & N400 Milk by 1025: 10:20am On Jun 22, 2012
round peg in a square hole is another name for nigeria judiciary system. well, the boy criminal shld have known that stealing small money in nigeria is an offence punishable by death.
in his next world, he shld learn to steal from many nigerians and not one nigerian and he must improve to stealing billions from many nigerians.
we have a federal govt that celebrates modern and standard criminals like ibru, bode george, bankole, otedola, lawan, obasanjo, babangida, ibori and a long list of pdp gang of robbers.
this is a wake up call for those intending to steal any time from now. pls robbers, steal big and from many to avoid hanging. these our judges hate petty criminals.
may the soul of the boy rest in peace as we congratulate those who are making names for themselves and this country in the stealing industry.
god bless jonathan, god bless pdp and god bless the personal republic of obasanjo.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Who Have Killed Over 80 Lagos / Ogun Residents Finally Arrested / Hameed Ali: Customs Seize $54 Million In Pangolin Parts, Elephant Tusks / Rev Fr Emmanuel Silas Kidnapped In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.