Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,146 members, 7,815,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (2494) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4398625 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2491) (2492) (2493) (2494) (2495) (2496) (2497) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by NoToPile: 7:44am On Jan 02, 2023
ruqoyahadenike:

The bilirubin test was repeated and the result showed a very high level of bilirubin, contrasting with the test done earlier at the lab. He was blindfolded and placed under the phototherapy light in the nursery as it was night time already before we got to the hospital.

The following day, the pediatrician in charge of treating him expressed his confusion because aside his yellow eyes and urine, no other symptoms accompanied his jaundice. He's perfectly fine. After two days of placing him under the lamp, his blindfold was removed and we had to go for other tests, abdominal scan and blood culture.

He was later placed on antibiotics for 8days as they suspected and confirmed that it was infection.

On the 11th day, he was discharged with his eyes and urine still very yellow and we were told to come for a follow up test and check up on the 3rd of January...

He's now a month and six days old with his eyes and urine not showing any sign of getting lighter. That's on one hand.

Sorry again for the loooong post

Hello ma'am, I would advise you take that child to a teaching hospital, I had a baby with prolonged jaundice some years back, was referred to Lasuth to see a pediatric gastroenterologist after all the initial phototherapy and treatment at the mother and child hospital but the eyes and urine were still very dark Yellowish tint at 6 weeks. No other symptom except the yellowing.

We ran all manner of tests, scans at Lasuth but they all came out clean so they couldn't find what caused it.

It later cleared up on its own at almost 6 months miraculously.

If you are a praying type also pray, very important.

All will be well.

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by litubow: 7:49am On Jan 02, 2023
ruqoyahadenike:
Hi my experienced mommas in the house! My post is a bit long and full of rantings so please bear with this concerned first-time mum.

I had my twin boys last month, the 26th of November.

The first twin is fine while the sclera of the second twin appeared darker (not very white) but I wasn't very concerned since hubby's sclera too was not too white. Also, he shakes his hands very often and the matron in charged claimed he's doing that due to hunger and he'll be fine once he fed enough. He has stopped the shaking now though.

The third day I was to be discharged from the hospital, my second twin pee on the white hospital bedspread after taking his morning bath and I noticed his urine was somehow colored. Innocently, I thought nothing of it. I didn't even notice which of the twin had the coloured urine then. One of the matrons saw it too and she mentioned nothing. Afterwards I was discharged from the hospital.

On their fourth day, my sis-in-law carried him, that is, the second twin, and claimed that his eye discharge is making her suspect jaundice and asked if they were tested for it at the hospital to which I replied no. To cut the long story short, she got me 2 bottles of Ampiclox for babies and asked me to use for both babies since they share a placenta blah blah which I did for 3 days and half before it finished and I thought the danger was over.

Their naming was on Saturday and then on Monday, I noticed that the sclera of the second twin had turned light yellow. I had my check up that Monday and took him along to be checked by my doctor. He said he's fine and I should breastfeed him well. He wasn't latching on to my breast then, but do take NAN 1 from his feeding bottle and breast milk also if I extracted for him though I couldn't express much milk then because I wasn't lactating well.

Three days later, on Thursday, I took them for Circumcision and still had to show him to my doctor again as I wasn't comfortable with his condition.

He checked him and referred him to another hospital as the hospital I used is just a maternity hospital and they don't know much about babies.

I got to the hospital, a state hospital and after series of question to which I answered in the affirmative, the pediatrician put a call through to the NICU and claimed there's only a single bed space and both twin needed to be admittted. She then referred me to another hospital which I refused to go because I was scared. Her examination of my baby was so thorough and frightful and I didn't want to stay at the hospital because of my experience at the state maternity hospital where I birth them. I couldn't imagine having my children admitted in another.

Eventually, my sister in law's mother in law took me to elewe-omo(herbs seller for children) where I wás prescribed several herbs, for jaundice, colic, malaria etc. After bathing them in herbs three times daily for six days and placing them in morning sunlight and even giving drops of unripe pawpaw water for six days, the second twin eyes was still very yellow and his urine too.

Same sis in law suggested we go for serum bilirubin test. She isn't a medical personnel but she asked around and based on her experience of her jaundiced child, she guided us on which diagnostic centre to go for the test. The result revealed for the first twin that the the total bilirubin is 0.54mg/dl while for direct is 0.3mg/dl and for the second twin, the total was 2.2mg/dl while direct was 2.1mg/dl.

I and hubby eventually had to brace up and take them down to the hospital and this time, a very good private hospital. The cost was quite high so I decided to get only the second twin admitted after having the doctor check the first twin and he confirmed that he's very fine.

The bilirubin test was repeated and the result showed a very high level of bilirubin, contrasting with the test done earlier at the lab. He was blindfolded and placed under the phototherapy light in the nursery as it was night time already before we got to the hospital.

The following day, the pediatrician in charge of treating him expressed his confusion because aside his yellow eyes and urine, no other symptoms accompanied his jaundice. He's perfectly fine. After two days of placing him under the lamp, his blindfold was removed and we had to go for other tests, abdominal scan and blood culture.

He was later placed on antibiotics for 8days as they suspected and confirmed that it was infection.

On the 11th day, he was discharged with his eyes and urine still very yellow and we were told to come for a follow up test and check up on the 3rd of January...

He's now a month and six days old with his eyes and urine not showing any sign of getting lighter. That's on one hand.

On the other hand, both twin had developed catarrh and cough probably due to the weather and the their symptoms is not showing any signs of abating. I've tried the saline water drop thing I found on the Internet and I tried mopping their nose, head, chest etc with warm water but it's not getting better and they find it very difficult to sleep at night unless I and hubby held them. I couldn't use metholatum for them as the hospital advised against using metholatum on jaundiced babies and I couldn't use it for the first twin too with the fear that the second might inhale it.

Challenge number 3 is that both twin seem disturbed while breast feeding. They appear uncomfortable, groaning and stretching during the feeding with their stomach rumbling. I've tried to watch what I eat, take enough fluids, and fruits but they still get disturbed and groan and stretch too often while feeding and in their sleep.

It feel like everything keeps piling up without me successfully resolving one. I don tire

Any help on how to solve challenge 1, 2 & 3 please.

With my baby experience with jaundice (total 9.9 and direct 0.5). Midwife told me to get unripe pawpaw, remove only the seed, wash and blend with little water. Squeeze out d water, give ur baby 0.3 ml before breastfeeding and you also drink large quantity. Breastfeed ur baby every two hours and also use direct sunlight by 7am.
For stretching, it’s caused by colic and d pediatrician I saw last week said no drug for it but u can get infacol or gripe water for relief.
For cough and catarrh, get vitamin C, Neofylin and Erythromycin to treat well incase is caused by infection . Pls ask “how to use “from d pharmacist
May God protect our children for us, we will never mourn over them.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by olaitoro(m): 11:47am On Jan 02, 2023
litubow:

With my baby experience with jaundice (total 9.9 and direct 0.5). Midwife told me to get unripe pawpaw, remove only the seed, wash and blend with little water. Squeeze out d water, give ur baby 0.3 ml before breastfeeding and you also drink large quantity. Breastfeed ur baby every two hours and also use direct sunlight by 7am.
For stretching, it’s caused by colic and d pediatrician I saw last week said no drug for it but u can get infacol or gripe water for relief.
For cough and catarrh, get vitamin C, Neofylin and Erythromycin to treat well incase is caused by infection . Pls ask “how to use “from d pharmacist

Amen
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ruqoyahadenike(f): 12:35pm On Jan 02, 2023
NoToPile:

Hello ma'am, I would advise you take that child to a teaching hospital, I had a baby with prolonged jaundice some years back, was referred to Lasuth to see a pediatric gastroenterologist after all the initial phototherapy and treatment at the mother and child hospital but the eyes and urine were still very dark Yellowish tint at 6 weeks. No other symptom except the yellowing.

We ran all manner of tests, scans at Lasuth but they all came out clean so they couldn't find what caused it.

It later cleared up on its own at almost 6 months miraculously.

If you are a praying type also pray, very important.

All will be well.

Thanks a lot ma'am. Your response really gave me hope cos I already have people around me sharing their experiences on some yellow eyed children who remained the same till adulthood but that's not my baby portion by God's grace. Thanks again.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ruqoyahadenike(f): 12:36pm On Jan 02, 2023
litubow:

Amen to the prayer. Thanks ma'am. I'll try it out
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by soladavies(m): 6:47am On Jan 03, 2023
Goodmorning wonderful mothers, my baby is 9 months old today and my wife want to start potty training for him, he can't walk yet although he can sit well, crawl and also walk around with supports. I am also interested in potty training him and I have to assist my wife with this process, Please can we start potty training at this stage? What is the best way to make the training easier? Your experience is needed to assist me in this process. Thanks
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by exclusiveoloori: 4:04pm On Jan 03, 2023
Hello mamas. My baby is turning six months soon and he's been on sma gold formula and breast milk since birth. What solids or cereals can I introduce to him?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MorningStar233: 10:38pm On Jan 03, 2023
soladavies:

Goodmorning wonderful mothers, my baby is 9 months old today and my wife want to start potty training for him, he can't walk yet although he can sit well, crawl and also walk around with supports. I am also interested in potty training him and I have to assist my wife with this process, Please can we start potty training at this stage? What is the best way to make the training easier? Your experience is needed to assist me in this process. Thanks

You can start now o, even at 5 months some mothers start potty training, all you have to do at this stage is to play with the child when he feels tired of sitting on the potty, I go as far as singing and dancing while holding him carefully on the potty...

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by okirewaju(f): 1:52am On Jan 04, 2023
Basically home meal in soft texture. Beans de-skinned and mashed, rice boiled soft and mashed, boiled fish/egg mashed. Cereals like Nutribom, Cerelac and the rest with same Sma formula which he has been taking. Pap, pureed food. In fact the list is endless just make sure the texture of the food is soft and introduce one food at a time to be sure.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by NoToPile: 8:58am On Jan 04, 2023
ruqoyahadenike:

Thanks a lot ma'am. Your response really gave me hope cos I already have people around me sharing their experiences on some yellow eyed children who remained the same till adulthood but that's not my baby portion by God's grace. Thanks again.

Welcome maam
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Layormiii(f): 10:28am On Jan 04, 2023
Washing a crawling baby clothes no be small thing o. You will wash and wash Especially those ones mixed with pap again grin cheesy grin . Thinking of soaking them at night lol so it will be easier to wash In the morning .

Happy new year Mamas how are we all doing this new year and how is our babies
It shall be a beautiful year for us all ijn

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jan 04, 2023
ruqoyahadenike:
Hi my experienced mommas in the house! My post is a bit long and full of rantings so please bear with this concerned first-time mum.

The first twin is fine while the sclera of the second twin appeared darker (not very white) but I wasn't very concerned since hubby's sclera too was not too white. Also, he shakes his hands very often and the matron in charged claimed he's doing that due to hunger and he'll be fine once he fed enough. He has stopped the shaking now though.

The third day I was to be discharged from the hospital, my second twin pee on the white hospital bedspread after taking his morning bath and I noticed his urine was somehow colored. Innocently, I thought nothing of it. I didn't even notice which of the twin had the coloured urine then. One of the matrons saw it too and she mentioned nothing. Afterwards I was discharged from the hospital.

On their fourth day, my sis-in-law carried him, that is, the second twin, and claimed that his eye discharge is making her suspect jaundice and asked if they were tested for it at the hospital to which I replied no. To cut the long story short, she got me 2 bottles of Ampiclox for babies and asked me to use for both babies since they share a placenta blah blah which I did for 3 days and half before it finished and I thought the danger was over.

Their naming was on Saturday and then on Monday, I noticed that the sclera of the second twin had turned light yellow. I had my check up that Monday and took him along to be checked by my doctor. He said he's fine and I should breastfeed him well. He wasn't latching on to my breast then, but do take NAN 1 from his feeding bottle and breast milk also if I extracted for him though I couldn't express much milk then because I wasn't lactating well.

Three days later, on Thursday, I took them for Circumcision and still had to show him to my doctor again as I wasn't comfortable with his condition.

He checked him and referred him to another hospital as the hospital I used is just a maternity hospital and they don't know much about babies.

I got to the hospital, a state hospital and after series of question to which I answered in the affirmative, the pediatrician put a call through to the NICU and claimed there's only a single bed space and both twin needed to be admittted. She then referred me to another hospital which I refused to go because I was scared. Her examination of my baby was so thorough and frightful and I didn't want to stay at the hospital because of my experience at the state maternity hospital where I birth them. I couldn't imagine having my children admitted in another.

Eventually, my sister in law's mother in law took me to elewe-omo(herbs seller for children) where I wás prescribed several herbs, for jaundice, colic, malaria etc. After bathing them in herbs three times daily for six days and placing them in morning sunlight and even giving drops of unripe pawpaw water for six days, the second twin eyes was still very yellow and his urine too.

Same sis in law suggested we go for serum bilirubin test. She isn't a medical personnel but she asked around and based on her experience of her jaundiced child, she guided us on which diagnostic centre to go for the test. The result revealed for the first twin that the the total bilirubin is 0.54mg/dl while for direct is 0.3mg/dl and for the second twin, the total was 2.2mg/dl while direct was 2.1mg/dl.

I and hubby eventually had to brace up and take them down to the hospital and this time, a very good private hospital. The cost was quite high so I decided to get only the second twin admitted after having the doctor check the first twin and he confirmed that he's very fine.

On the other hand, both twin had developed catarrh and cough probably due to the weather and the their symptoms is not showing any signs of abating. I've tried the saline water drop thing I found on the Internet and I tried mopping their nose, head, chest etc with warm water but it's not getting better and they find it very difficult to sleep at night unless I and hubby held them. I couldn't use metholatum for them as the hospital advised against using metholatum on jaundiced babies and I couldn't use it for the first twin too with the fear that the second might inhale it.

Challenge number 3 is that both twin seem disturbed while breast feeding. They appear uncomfortable, groaning and stretching during the feeding with their stomach rumbling. I've tried to watch what I eat, take enough fluids, and fruits but they still get disturbed and groan and stretch too often while feeding and in their sleep.

It feel like everything keeps piling up without me successfully resolving one. I don tire

If you live in Abuja take BOTH your babies to Limi children hospital Abuja as they specially dedicated to neonates and children.

Never give your babies herbs it is risky and do not self medicate as symptoms in children can be different.
Granted money is tight but that should be the last thing on your mind.
Take this advice from a mum that has lost a set of twins few years ago.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by oxygenator: 9:02pm On Jan 04, 2023
You did not tell us the babies weights at birth.
Were they full term, how many weeks gestation?
What type of delivery; C/S or normal delivery.

Any problem during delivery?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by oxygenator: 9:05pm On Jan 04, 2023
ruqoyahadenike:

You did not tell us the babies weights at birth.
Were they full term, how many weeks gestation?
What type of delivery; C/S or normal delivery.

Any problem during delivery?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Toylove: 4:42pm On Jan 05, 2023
kokaiye:
uwc... Dnt worry... It will pass
Please, what can one Do to relieve the colic of a thing, my baby is 2 weeks old today and seeing her twist since Monday troubles my heart
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Esetim(f): 3:54am On Jan 06, 2023
Pls what can one give a 15 month old toddler with cough that is worse at night. The cattarrh has stopped but cough is still there.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ostendoboss: 6:10am On Jan 06, 2023
Hello. Please my 2yrs old son has swollen Adenoids and have been having difficulty breathing normally at night. my next appointment at the hospital is in a month. please i need help with alternative solution to help relieve him. Thanks

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Jummyslim(f): 1:34pm On Jan 06, 2023
[size=8pt][/size]
Good Afternoon All

Compliment of the season.

Please I need your suggestion. My baby will be 6months tomorrow which is the end of my EBF, can you please suggest the food I can introduce to him.

Await your response

T for Thanks
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Esetim(f): 5:45pm On Jan 06, 2023
Jummyslim:
[size=8pt][/size]
Good Afternoon All

Please I need your suggestion. My baby will be 6months tomorrow which is the end of my EBF, can you please suggest the food I can introduce to him.

Await your response

T for Thanks

Pap, baby cereals (cerelac, frisogold, nutribom, nutriben, Gerber, Jaden foods)........the list is endless. Just ensure you introduce one type at a time and watch for how he tolerates it.
You can also give finely pureed fruits, food (check youtube for different recipes).
Dont forget to give him water as well.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by kokaiye: 5:49pm On Jan 07, 2023
Toylove:

Please, what can one Do to relieve the colic of a thing, my baby is 2 weeks old today and seeing her twist since Monday troubles my heart
if u can get infacol... Give her before every meal
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MummyNeto(f): 9:54am On Jan 08, 2023
Layormiii:
Washing a crawling baby clothes no be small thing o. You will wash and wash Especially those ones mixed with pap again grin cheesy grin . Thinking of soaking them at night lol so it will be easier to wash In the morning .

Happy new year Mamas how are we all doing this new year and how is our babies
It shall be a beautiful year for us all ijn
And the harmattan dust is not even helping it. I mop twice daily because of this very cloth dirtiness
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MummyNeto(f): 9:56am On Jan 08, 2023
Jummyslim:
[size=8pt][/size]
Good Afternoon All

Await your response

T for Thanks

I make pap with corn, millet and dawa. They take Nutribom once in a while too. Atimes I forget to bring out the pap from the fridge to defrost so we use cereal.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MummyNeto(f): 10:00am On Jan 08, 2023
ostendoboss:
Hello. Please my 2yrs old son has swollen Adenoids and have been having difficulty breathing normally at night. my next appointment at the hospital is in a month. please i need help with alternative solution to help relieve him. Thanks
But you mustn’t wait for your next appointment if you really want to see a doctor. Take him to the hospital nobody will send you back mama.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MummyNeto(f): 10:00am On Jan 08, 2023
Toylove:

Infacol worked for me
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MorningStar233: 7:12pm On Jan 11, 2023
Good evening mamas please I need help, I am starting to regret why I did EBF. My son has absolutely refused to take pap, friso gold, Goldeen morn, and even custard. What do I do please? I am just regretting because I can't concentrate in the course I am doing. Please I need help and suggestions
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Myfavour22: 9:30pm On Jan 11, 2023
MorningStar233:
Good evening mamas please I need help, I am starting to regret why I did EBF. My son has absolutely refused to take pap, friso gold, Goldeen morn, and even custard. What do I do please? I am just regretting because I can't concentrate in the course I am doing. Please I need help and suggestions
Golden morn and custard are not for babies under 3 years, is he older?

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by okirewaju(f): 1:03am On Jan 12, 2023
MorningStar233:
Hello. You did not state the child's age.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by callola: 7:10am On Jan 12, 2023
MorningStar233:
sorry ma'am, but it's not the fault of EBF, some babies are picky eaters. it will improve with time
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MorningStar233: 10:47am On Jan 12, 2023
callola:
sorry ma'am, but it's not the fault of EBF, some babies are picky eaters. it will improve with time

Thanks ma'am I hope so..
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MorningStar233: 10:48am On Jan 12, 2023
okirewaju:
Hello. You did not state the child's age.

He's 7 months old ma
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MorningStar233: 10:48am On Jan 12, 2023
Myfavour22:

Golden morn and custard are not for babies under 3 years, is he older?

Wao, he's 7 months old ma
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Omakraid(f): 12:29pm On Jan 12, 2023
MorningStar233:
Hello teamie, have you taken more of he's interested in what you eat? Keep on giving him the pap, he'll gradually take it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2491) (2492) (2493) (2494) (2495) (2496) (2497) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.