Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,012 members, 7,828,559 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (601) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4419791 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (598) (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) (604) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by soonest(f): 10:57am On Sep 05, 2016
BritneyStacy:
Official follower alert -
Porting straight from pregnancy thread....reporting for morning duty grin grin grin with a 1week 5days old cutie!
All hail the mama's here!!

Alphahandmaiden
Onegai
Soonest
Mitchyy
Liftedhands
Welcome mama Ekene jnr. Happy vigilante
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 11:17am On Sep 05, 2016
IryNky please check page 595 for the tutorial on cloth wipes. Contem2011 is hiding because she is collecting lesson money ffom me in order to teach me how to make custard and the picture below is waiting for her.

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by eolowu1(f): 11:22am On Sep 05, 2016
mothers in d house I jst want to suggest dat if we can create a group chat on whatsapp, at times i find it difficult to drop my complaints here
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 12:18pm On Sep 05, 2016
eolowu1:
mothers in d house I jst want to suggest dat if we can create a group chat on whatsapp, at times i find it difficult to drop my complaints here

I personally prefer here because I'm bad at whatsapp groups (I tend to mute all of mine because it's hard to keep track of who's saying what). But if you it can start one and invite people, it's a good idea. smiley
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 12:36pm On Sep 05, 2016
Concerning Antibacterial soap

During the Ebola panic, one of my siblings was (as a medical doctor) involved in the government effort. I remember being very worried and insisting every one in the house use Antibacterial soap. He told me then, that regular soap was more than enough to kill most bacteria and germs we met everyday and we needed good bacteria (staph is a bacteria that is everywhere living in your skin even). He recommended against Antibacterial soaps (even in the bathroom).

Today, the U.S. FDA has banned Antibacterial soaps and body wash in the United States due to concerns about one of its active ingredients (Triclosan and Trichlorocarban, which is also in Delta soap and almost every antibacterial soap on the market in Nigeria). They are also concerned about it making bacteria resistant to antibiotics. Read more here:

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/09/fda-bans-antibacterial-hand-soap-and-body-wash.html

Now, I believe a lot of mums with older kids tend to use antibacterial soap once they start primary school (all that play, even Dettol soap runs adverts on it). Basically that article states that after research, there seems to be enough evidence to show that some of the ingredients in Antibacterial soap can cause hormone-disruption in kids. And if ordinary soap and water can do the job, why bother exposing your kids to some chemicals which may end up causing some illnesses later in life?

Paeditricians encourage play outside because it develops the natural immune system of most children. And even if this info doesn't affect you now, you may want to consider not using a lot of disinfectants to be washing baby things and bathing baby if you don't have very bad water. Simple boiling of water will kill most of the surface stuff. The Nigerian govt has not said anything about this (they are barely functioning when it comes to Testing and Regulations) but my siblings in Nigeria who have kids in Nigeria tend to agree with the U.S. FDA on this matter. You can share this with other parents.

So far, antibacterial hand sanitiser has been spared and allowed. But during the Ebola scare, when hand sanitiser quadrupled in price, another of my siblings (a surgeon) handed me soap and a bowl of water and said "that's all you need, that's all I use before surgery".

To close: let's have our kids wash their hands before meals and after play but no need for antibacterial soaps.

Thanks.

Cc zaynie and Kaffy4bill (I think zaynie is a microbiologist and kaffy is a nurse, so they can weigh on this matter).

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 12:46pm On Sep 05, 2016
For mothers who are in Lagos, you do have polluted groundwater (especially if you are not in Magodo and it's environs) because of the topography of Lagos, but most of your pollution cannot be solved by heavy use of disinfectants (too many heavy metals from general environmental pollution, remember that thread where the Nigerian Health Organization or Nutritional agency warned people about eating fish caught from the lagoon?). And poor Urban planning means presence of Faecal Coliforms in a lot of ground water (that's why Lagos should actually have Government-run sewage). But heavy application of Dettol will not really help that much, boil your water, filter your water.

My mum used to pour cleaning chemicals in our water till we itched. It's one of the reasons I chose to use clothe diapers (disposable doesn't break down cleanly in the landfill and that landfill at Ojota has started polluting the water around it). I believe countries like the U.K. are encouraging parents to use cloth diapers as well for this issue (also, cloth diapers and cloth wipes can work out to be cheaper, especially if you use them for several kids).

Oya I'm going to drink Fanta, all that typing was hard undecided

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by osas4g: 12:51pm On Sep 05, 2016
Top of the mamaz in the house,

I double hail o... captain @Onegai

Pls am interested in the book club. I stay in Oworo. I can allign with mums living in gbadaga. It close enough for me.
My babie will be. 3months this months.

Thanks for the great job wonderful mums in the building.
Kisses

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 1:30pm On Sep 05, 2016
Pls .
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 05, 2016
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by fabmum(f): 1:42pm On Sep 05, 2016
Onegai:
Kidco, can we get books for different ages in one shipment?

Cutiereborn/rhukie: Yaba
Fabmum: location please?
Rofemiguwa/QueensC: Iyana Ipaja/Akowonjo
Pretimum/Osas4g: Gbagada/Oworo
Tojued: Abuja

Anyone can join those groups if your location is close to thwm
Doubledouble where are you located do you want to share with some other mums?

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by fabmum(f): 1:47pm On Sep 05, 2016
@Onegai Oya take fanta for all d hard typing... Good work dear. It's appreciated

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by blank(f): 1:49pm On Sep 05, 2016
Onegai:

My dear, I have put it on fire afterwards. It was still watery. You don't understand, the matter needs to be tabled before an Igwe grin

I used to have the same issue with custard till a friend showed me a cheat. When you add cold water to your custard powder, put just enough for it to be liquid but when you lift the spoon with some on it, you will feel it strongly drawing back. There's a look to it. If the cold water you add is too much, no matter how much or little the hot water is, it will always be watery.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by OnyxGem10(f): 2:04pm On Sep 05, 2016
Onegai:
Pretimum and Rhukie, please where in Lagos do you stay? QueensC and Rofemiguwa are around Iyana Ipaja area/Akowonjo. Anyone else interested in books?

I'm interested l stay @ Isheri-Ijegun will join d gbagada group

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zaynie(f): 2:14pm On Sep 05, 2016
I agree @ Onegai.
Personally I don't use antibacterial soaps. I use disinfectant only for cleaning the house and savlon till baby is about 3 months ( cos I'm not totally sure our water is clean enough for that tender skin).
I only keep hand sanitizers in the car or my bag, for days when my wakabout carries me to places that are ish. The only other one is in the toilet.
The first time I told a Dr I used dettol for my laundry, he laughed his asss off. Detergents are surfactants( anti microbial ) and sunlight has UV rays. Those 2 are quite enough.

Funny thing, antibacterials have zero effect on viruses. Or fungi.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 2:20pm On Sep 05, 2016
fabmum:
@Onegai Oya take fanta for all d hard typing... Good work dear. It's appreciated

Tenkyiu.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by blank(f): 2:22pm On Sep 05, 2016
zaynie:
I agree @ Onegai.
Personally I don't use antibacterial soaps. I use disinfectant only for cleaning the house and savlon till baby is about 3 months ( cos I'm not totally sure our water is clean enough for that tender skin).
I only keep hand sanitizers in the car or my bag, for days when my wakabout carries me to places that are ish. The only other one is in the toilet.
The first time I told a Dr I used dettol for my laundry, he laughed his asss off. Detergents are surfactants( anti microbial ) and sunlight has UV rays. Those 2 are quite enough.

Funny thing, antibacterials have zero effect on viruses. Or fungi.

What would be the effect of stopping antibacterial soaps and disinfectants if you have been using it for years?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zaynie(f): 2:59pm On Sep 05, 2016
blank:

What would be the effect of stopping antibacterial soaps and disinfectants if you have been using it for years?

None.
The only problem might lie in if the normal flora ( the required type and quantity of microbes your body should have) has been altered.

I would advice a gradual withdrawal (reduction in how often and the quantity used) so your skin can adjust with time.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by HiAll: 3:11pm On Sep 05, 2016
Onegai:

That's a good suggestion. But I don't see those guys anymore, Jehovah's Witnesses and Gideon bibles (those small blue ones).

hi
there r lots of stuffs u can get for children, families, couples (u and ur spouse) and lots more from their website, www.jw.org
also u can download the jw library app from google playstore and u will find loads of stuffs there too, like videos for kids etc
meanwhile, here is a link to download the MY BOOK OF BIBLE STORIES from the website
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/?contentLanguageFilter=en&pubFilter=my&sortBy=1
hope the info helped wink

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 3:16pm On Sep 05, 2016
HiAll:

hi
there r lots of stuffs u can get for children, families, couples (u and ur spouse) and lots more from their website, www.jw.org
also u can download the jw library app from google playstore and u will find loads of stuffs there too, like videos for kids etc
meanwhile, here is a link to download the MY BOOK OF BIBLE STORIES from the website
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/?contentLanguageFilter=en&pubFilter=my&sortBy=1
hope the info helped wink

Yes it was very helpful, thank you!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 3:16pm On Sep 05, 2016
vivigurl:
Pls .

Hey what's up?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by eolowu1(f): 3:37pm On Sep 05, 2016
eolowu1:
gud moni mothers in d house, pls help out o my 12weeks 3days old baby's poo has changed from yellow to light green with particles of egusi inside is it normal, pls hw do I treat my baby's navel cos my mum uses hot water massage is dere anytin else to do and pls is it normal for babies to snore cos my baby makes a snoring sound.tanx help a ftm
sabi mamas answer me oooo I beg
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 3:45pm On Sep 05, 2016
Hello everybody
Started work today
Missing my mat.leave like kilode
Abeg concerning d books
I prefer yaba since i don resume work
I wont be home
Thank u
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 3:55pm On Sep 05, 2016
eolowu1:
sabi mamas answer me oooo I beg

The poo shouldn't be green! Try and ensure he empties one breast before you change him to the other side so he can benefit from what is known as hind milk...

For the navel the massage is fine ensure also that the area is cleaned with cotton wool and meth spirit.

Haven't got any experience with the snoring but perhaps you can mention it to your Dr or google it up

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 4:12pm On Sep 05, 2016
Onegai:
Concerning Antibacterial soap

During the Ebola panic, one of my siblings was (as a medical doctor) involved in the government effort. I remember being very worried and insisting every one in the house use Antibacterial soap. He told me then, that regular soap was more than enough to kill most bacteria and germs we met everyday and we needed good bacteria (staph is a bacteria that is everywhere living in your skin even). He recommended against Antibacterial soaps (even in the bathroom).

Today, the U.S. FDA has banned Antibacterial soaps and body wash in the United States due to concerns about one of its active ingredients (Triclosan, which is also in Delta soap and almost every antibacterial soap on the market in Nigeria). Read more here:

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/09/fda-bans-antibacterial-hand-soap-and-body-wash.html

Now, I believe a lot of mums with older kids tend to use antibacterial soap once they start primary school (all that play, even Dettol soap runs adverts on it). Basically that article states that after research, there seems to be enough evidence to show that some of the ingredients in Antibacterial soap can cause hormone-disruption in kids. And if ordinary soap and water can do the job, why bother exposing your kids to some chemicals which may end up causing some illnesses later in life?

Paeditricians encourage play outside because it develops the natural immune system of most children. And even if this info doesn't affect you now, you may want to consider not using a lot of disinfectants to be washing baby things and bathing baby if you don't have very bad water. Simple boiling of water will kill most of the surface stuff. The Nigerian govt has not said anything about this (they are barely functioning when it comes to Testing and Regulations) but my siblings in Nigeria who have kids in Nigeria tend to agree with the U.S. FDA on this matter. You can share this with other parents.

So far, antibacterial hand sanitiser has been spared and allowed. But during the Ebola scare, when hand sanitiser quadrupled in price, another of my siblings (a surgeon) handed me soap and.

So what will happen to those obsessive compulsive cleaners now? grin

I guess this may also explain why many* children who are raised in filthy environments eg markets and ghettos don't fall ill as it were! Strong immune system would have been developed and regular bathing soap is all they use anyway
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Pretimum: 5:40pm On Sep 05, 2016
@Onegai,thanks for that piece,very informative.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by PresVA: 5:52pm On Sep 05, 2016
Onegai , you too much ...

I'm garnering so much information here at no cost..lol cheesy

Weldone mamas, can't wait to join...

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by likky1(f): 7:05pm On Sep 05, 2016
hotmum:

thanks a million. i guess u mean dosunmu street as onegai said
U re welcome. Yes it's d same
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 7:30pm On Sep 05, 2016
babythug:

The poo shouldn't be green! Try and ensure he empties one breast before you change him to the other side so he can benefit from what is known as hind milk...

For the navel the massage is fine ensure also that the area is cleaned with cotton wool and meth spirit.

Haven't got any experience with the snoring but perhaps you can mention it to your Dr or google it up

The baby is 12 weeks, I assume there should be nothing to clean in the navel! It ought to be completely healed by now. The hot water massage is just for fun, my mum says it was needed those days of tetanus. Now we all take shots for that during pregnancy.

Sabi mamas if navel still hasn't healed shouldn't she go see a doctor?

Make sure baby empties breast. That ought to prevent green poo. You could also start his feed from the breast he ended with during his last feed.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 7:47pm On Sep 05, 2016
So, concerning the book buy, Kidco has explained everything to me and here is what we discussed:

1. 50 books for N12,000
2. Shipping charges range from N700 to N1500 depending on your location
3. He can mix up the books according to age. So mamas, you can buy books in the age 0-5 years group, 0-3 years group, 6-12 years group, 0-6 years group

Yaba mums (rofemiguwa, Adeime, rhukie and cutiereborn), your total is N13,000 (12+N1000 shipping). You will end up paying N3,250 for 12-13 books per person. That's a good deal. If you agree, pls nominate one person from your group to collect payment and also collect the books from Kidco. May I suggest Rofemiguwa because she is working in Yaba which means her address is probably easiest to find for all of you?
And if you are interested, please drop your location and mention me. Thanks.
Here are pictures of the baby books Kidco sent.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 7:54pm On Sep 05, 2016
Eolowu1, has his navel healed and sealed off? If it has then it's not a big deal. If it hasn't, Please follow Tojued's advice and see a doctor.

Tojued:

The baby is 12 weeks, I assume there should be nothing to clean in the navel! It ought to be completely healed by now. The hot water massage is just for fun, my mum says it was needed those days of tetanus. Now we all take shots for that during pregnancy.

Sabi mamas if navel still hasn't healed shouldn't she go see a doctor?

Make sure baby empties breast. That ought to prevent green poo. You could also start his feed from the breast he ended with during his last feed.

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 05, 2016
Gud Evn Modas, Pls Hav Ani 1 Expirence Passin Out Air(fart Through D Anus) After Delivery? Is Almst 6months N The Fart Have Nt Stop. Is So Loud That It Sumtims Wakes Up My Son.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 05, 2016
Thanks @ Onegai,I'm ok.

(1) (2) (3) ... (598) (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) (604) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.