Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. (2045 Views)

Igbo People Are The Hebrews Of The Bible ... 100% Proof / Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans / Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Goshen360(m): 8:09pm On Jun 24, 2012
God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by [His] Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of [His] glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. Heb. 1:1-4 NKJV

God has spoken! The emphasis of this book is that God, not man, has spoken. Therefore, it does not identify its writer, nor in any of its quotations from the Old Testament does it mention the speaker's name. According to the concept of this book, the entire Scripture is the speaking of God. Hence, in referring to the Old Testament, this book always says that it is the Holy Spirit's speaking ( Heb. 3:7; 9:8; 10:15-17 ).

In the Old Testament, God spoke to the people not once for all and not in only one way but in many portions and in many ways: in one portion to the Patriarchs in one way, in another portion through Moses in another way; in one portion through David in one way, in other portions through a number of prophets in several different ways. It is most fitting and meaningful that this book, a book of God's speaking, is entitled The Epistle to the Hebrews. This book reveals to us the contrast between the Old Testament and the New Testament. The Old Testament was of the law in letters and forms, of man, earthly, temporary, and by sight and issued in a religion called Judaism. The New Testament is of life, spiritual, heavenly, permanent, and by faith and is focused in a person who is the Son of God.

The first Hebrew was Abraham ( Gen. 14:13 ), the father of all those who contact God by faith ( Rom. 4:11-12 ). Therefore, God is called "the God of the Hebrews" ( Ex. 9:1,13 - ASV ). The root of the word Hebrew means to pass over.[/b]It can mean specifically to pass over a river, that is, to pass over from this side of the river to the other side, to pass over from one side to another. Therefore, a Hebrew is a river crosser. Abraham was such a one. From Chaldea, [b]the land of idolatry, which was on the other side of the great river Euphrates, he crossed over to Canaan, the land of the worship of God, which was on this side of the Euphrates ( Josh. 24:2-3 ).

The intention of God's speaking in this book was that the Jews who believed in the Lord but still lingered in Judaism would leave the law and cross over to grace ( Heb. 4:16; 7:18-19; 12:28; 13:9), that they would leave the old covenant and cross over to the new covenant ( 8:6-9:1-End ), and that they would leave the ritualistic service of the Old Testament and cross over to the spiritual reality of the New Testament ( 8:5; 9:9-14 ); that is, that they would leave Judaism and cross over to the church ( 13:13; 10:25 ), that they would leave the earthly things and cross over to the heavenly things ( 12:18-24 ), that they would leave the outer court, where the altar is, and cross over to the Holiest of all, where God is ( 13:9-10; 10:19-20 ), that they would leave the soul realm and cross over to the spirit realm ( 4:12 ), and that they would leave the beginning of truth and life and cross over to the maturity of life in the truth ( 5:11-6:1 ). Not only the Jews who believed in the Lord but all who contact God by faith should be such river crossers. This is the purpose of God's speaking in this book.

However, the writer of this great and expository epistle is mainly unknown but there are lots of speculations as to the writer of this epistle. If you had studied the epistle to the Hebrews, who do you think is the writer and what is your prove of your choice of the writer? Let's prove ALL things again. Yes, we can know the writer, I believe.
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jun 24, 2012
The early church fathers could not agree on the identity of the writer.some suggested it was written by baranabas while others were of the opinion Paul wrote it.It almost didn't make it to the bible
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Goshen360(m): 10:28pm On Jun 24, 2012
^^^
You are right BUT if you have studied it. You can proved the writer. Don't you believe you can prove the writer?
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by PastorAIO: 11:10am On Jun 25, 2012
I find it weird that it is called the letter to the Hebrews. Were there any people or church in those days known as the Hebrews? Where were they? In Israel? Or some other part of the Roman Empire?

We know that the letter to the Romans was written to christians in rome, the letter to the Galatians was written to christians in Galatia etc etc. Who exactly was the letter to the Hebrews written to?
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by PastorKun(m): 11:19am On Jun 25, 2012
^^^
It was obviously written to hebrew christians who were most likely based in Jerusalem at that time.
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Goshen360(m): 1:46pm On Jun 25, 2012
Pastor AIO: I find it weird that it is called the letter to the Hebrews. Were there any people or church in those days known as the Hebrews? Where were they? In Israel? Or some other part of the Roman Empire?

We know that the letter to the Romans was written to christians in rome, the letter to the Galatians was written to christians in Galatia etc etc. Who exactly was the letter to the Hebrews written to?

The "Hebrews" are the Children of Israel. They were called the "Hebrews" due to the language of the OT as the OT was written in Hebrew and some little parts in Aramaic but the NT is written in Greek also due to change in language from Hebrew to Greek but natively, the Jewish (Israelites) people are Hebrews. Christianity is made of ALL tribe of ALL nations which is NOT mainly for the Hebrews/Jews/Israelites ANYMORE.

Goshen360:

The first Hebrew was Abraham ( Gen. 14:13 ), the father of all those who contact God by faith ( Rom. 4:11-12 ). Therefore, God is called "the God of the Hebrews" ( Ex. 9:1,13 KJV). The root of the word Hebrew means to pass over.[/b]It can mean specifically to pass over a river, that is, to pass over from this side of the river to the other side, to pass over from one side to another. Therefore, a Hebrew is a river crosser. Abraham was such a one. From Chaldea, [b]the land of idolatry, which was on the other side of the great river Euphrates, he crossed over to Canaan, the land of the worship of God, which was on this side of the Euphrates ( Josh. 24:2-3 ).
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jun 25, 2012
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 25, 2012
Paul perhaps, follows the same pattern of his reasoning, specially since he was a lawyer by profession.

However a great book, full of gems and 'food' for the humble soul.
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by TheShopKeeper(m): 4:29pm On Jun 25, 2012
The title “to the Hebrews” addresses the Hebrew people, therefore, the book was written to all Jews.

The purpose of the book is based on:
- The Jewish Christians who are encouraged to leave the synagogue and identify publicly (fully) with the church (Heb 13:13). Judaism was recognised as a legal religion by the Roman authorities, while later in the first century Christianity was considered illegal when it seperated from synagogue worship.
- The Jewish Christians who are encouraged to take up the missionary mandate of the gospel (Matt.28:19-20; Luke 24:47; Acts 1:cool.
- The Jewish unbelievers in fellowship with these Jewish Christians are the focus of chapters 6 and 10. They are warned to personally respond to the abundant and clear evidence in the lives of their Christian friends and co-worshipers.

Brief outline of the book of Hebrews:
1:1-3 Superiority of the Son over the prophets
1:4-2:18 Superiority of the Son over the angels
3:1-4:13; 4:14-5:10 Superiority of the Son over the Mosaic Covenant
6:13-7:28 Superiority of the Son over the Aaronic Priesthood
5:11-6:12 Superiority of the believing Jews over the unbelieving Jews
8:1-10:18 Superiority of the Son over the procedures of the Mosaic Covenant
10:19-13:25 Superiority of the Son advocated and revealed in believers.

What we do know about the author:
- He was apparently a second generation Jewish Christian (2:3).
- He quotes from the Greek translation of the Old Testament called the Septuagint.
- He uses ancient tabernacle procedures and not current temple rituals.
- He writes using classical Greek grammar and syntax.
- Some believe Paul wrote the letter in Hebrews and Luke translated it into Greek using excellent (Koine Greek).

The timing of the letter to the Hebrews was probably before the final destruction of the Temple by Emperor Titus in AD 70.
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 25, 2012
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jun 25, 2012
TheShopKeeper: The title “to the Hebrews” addresses the Hebrew people, therefore, the book was written to all Jews.

The purpose of the book is based on:
- The Jewish Christians who are encouraged to leave the synagogue and identify publicly (fully) with the church (Heb 13:13). Judaism was recognised as a legal religion by the Roman authorities, while later in the first century Christianity was considered illegal when it seperated from synagogue worship.
- The Jewish Christians who are encouraged to take up the missionary mandate of the gospel (Matt.28:19-20; Luke 24:47; Acts 1:cool.
- The Jewish unbelievers in fellowship with these Jewish Christians are the focus of chapters 6 and 10. They are warned to personally respond to the abundant and clear evidence in the lives of their Christian friends and co-worshipers.

Brief outline of the book of Hebrews:
1:1-3 Superiority of the Son over the prophets
1:4-2:18 Superiority of the Son over the angels
3:1-4:13; 4:14-5:10 Superiority of the Son over the Mosaic Covenant
6:13-7:28 Superiority of the Son over the Aaronic Priesthood
5:11-6:12 Superiority of the believing Jews over the unbelieving Jews
8:1-10:18 Superiority of the Son over the procedures of the Mosaic Covenant
10:19-13:25 Superiority of the Son advocated and revealed in believers.

What we do know about the author:
- He was apparently a second generation Jewish Christian (2:3).
- He quotes from the Greek translation of the Old Testament called the Septuagint.
- He uses ancient tabernacle procedures and not current temple rituals.
- He writes using classical Greek grammar and syntax.
- Some believe Paul wrote the letter in Hebrews and Luke translated it into Greek using excellent (Koine Greek).

The timing of the letter to the Hebrews was probably before the final destruction of the Temple by Emperor Titus in AD 70.

I concur, because he used Jewish tradition, culture and terminology to explain the scriptures.

I doubt if any pagan at that time would have understood what he was talking about.

So yes, this was addressed to the Jews in my humble opinion .
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by PastorAIO: 6:23pm On Jun 25, 2012
frosbel:

I concur, because he used Jewish tradition, culture and terminology to explain the scriptures.

I doubt if any pagan at that time would have understood what he was talking about.

So yes, this was addressed to the Jews in my humble opinion .

What were these aspects of jewish tradition, culture and terminology that he used and that no pagan would have been able to understand?
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jun 25, 2012
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Goshen360(m): 7:58pm On Jun 25, 2012
LoJ: Hello to all!

@ Goshen,

First of all, the name "letter to the Hebrews" is a name given by man, not by GOD neither by the author of the book itself. So your starting point (Abraham being the first hebrew) and introduction are not really relevant.

Secondly, we all from time to time sucomb to the temptation of thinking we can do what our forefathers could not do, We can unveil what was hidden to them. Well, my opinion is that, this is just youth and (over)zeal. The truth is that GOD decided to maintain the identity of the author of this great book (one of the deepest of the new testament) hidden.

All we can do about it, is guessing and supposing and that's all. Let's not cross the line of being sincerely mistaken.

Finally, I'd say if you want my opnion about the author of this book, I personnaly think that the profile of the writer fits with someone like Appolos or maybe Barnabas, that is an eloquent man well grounded in the scriptures and a close compagnion of Paul without being Paul himself.

Lion-EL of JESUS

Dear Brother Lion-EL of JESUS,

I appreciate your input. There was a time under buzugee thread and you mentioned something about this book and you also confirm it here that this book is one of the deepest of the new testament. Any bible student who haven't gone through this book is missing out something. I see it even deeper that it is and confirmed by you, probably based on strong revelations contained therein.

Second. If you say the title is given by men and not the author and not GOD, will you be able to tell us the name (you think or knew) was given by GOD? Perhaps you may know and we will all benefit. There is more to the title which is part of what I shared. Let's leave the title aside and work with the information about the title that is at hand. Aside, how do you know that the title wasn't given by GOD neither by the Author but by men? Do you have any prove for that?

Third, about wanting to know what our/my fathers did not know. I guess that is why I personally love to search and dig the deeper things of God. If you call it youth or over zealous, that is fine by me, lolz grin and no offense BUT I believe we can prove it with all the information open to us, contained in the Bible and the book itself.

Lastly, you said you are of the opinion that, "the profile of the writer fits with someone like Appolos or maybe Barnabas, that is an eloquent man well grounded in the scriptures and a close companion of Paul without being Paul himself". This is the purpose of this thread. You need to prove this please and let's have fellowship and reason together.
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Goshen360(m): 8:00pm On Jun 25, 2012
LoJ: Where the Hell do you see that the Book was written to the Hebrews ? ? ? shocked

Did you read it anywhere in the epistle that it is addressed to the hebrews? Or you are basing your asumptions on the title given by MEN and not by GOD nor by the author of the epistle...

I don't think the title of the book is based on assumption but rather on its content.
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jun 25, 2012
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jun 25, 2012
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Goshen360(m): 9:53pm On Jun 25, 2012
LoJ:

Well, I'd interested to read the verses in that book that led you to think it was a letter addressed specifically and exclusively to the hebrews.

Can't Wait to read that...

First I didn't say the book was "exclusively" written to the Hebrews. Maybe you misunderstood the context of my words. You know Christianity/body of Christ is made up of the Jews and Gentiles right. So what am saying is that, the book was "primarily" NOT "exclusively" written to the Jewish Christians who came to Christ but still considering Judaism. I also said, NOT only the Jews but all those who comes to Christ by faith. See the quote below and the highlights.

Goshen360:
The intention of God's speaking in this book was that the Jews who believed in the Lord but still lingered in Judaism would leave the law and cross over to grace ( Heb. 4:16; 7:18-19; 12:28; 13:9), that they would leave the old covenant and cross over to the new covenant ( 8:6-9:1-End ), and that they would leave the ritualistic service of the Old Testament and cross over to the spiritual reality of the New Testament ( 8:5; 9:9-14 ); that is, that they would leave Judaism and cross over to the church ( 13:13; 10:25 ), that they would leave the earthly things and cross over to the heavenly things ( 12:18-24 ), that they would leave the outer court, where the altar is, and cross over to the Holiest of all, where God is ( 13:9-10; 10:19-20 ), that they would leave the soul realm and cross over to the spirit realm ( 4:12 ), and that they would leave the beginning of truth and life and cross over to the maturity of life in the truth ( 5:11-6:1 ). [size=15pt]Not only the Jews who believed in the Lord but all who contact God by faith should be such river crossers.[/size] This is the purpose of God's speaking in this book.

Second. I believe and can also prove to you and everyone that Paul wrote this book of Hebrews. Here is my thought:

Peter primarily ministered to the Jews ONLY that became Christians while Paul was primarily sent and ministered to the Gentiles ONLY who became Christians (Galatians 2:7 ). Peter when he wrote to the Jewish Christians he was primarily sent to and ministered to made mentioned about an epistle written by Paul to the Jews (2 Peter 3:15-16) different from Paul's usual epistles that are primarily to the Gentiles. Take a look at this:

And account [that] the longsuffering of our Lord [is] salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 2 Peter 3:15-16 Kjv.

This is the parallel line. "Written unto you....according to wisdom" in comparison with "As also in....". Read from different translation and see the sense that "this certain/specific writings of Paul" is different from his usual "all other epistles". Now, we all know the root of the Jews is Abraham who is called Hebrew and from which God's covenant began with the Jews. I also showed you a verse where God himself called Himself the God of the Hebrews. I did not say it was exclusively written to them but primarily because of the OT content of the Jewish people heavily drawn from. Am not arguing for the title here anyway because I do not query the names of books of the bible as deemed fit by the Holy Spirit.
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Goshen360(m): 10:03pm On Jun 25, 2012
LoJ: Hello Goshen,

If you read me carefully, you'd see that my concern is not the debate over this issue. It's normal and good for us to debate and analyse such issues...

My point was concerning that affirmation of yours: "Yes, we can know the writer, I believe." over a controversy that last since the very first century of this era and has never found a universally accepted conclusion.

So what we can do here, is just guessing and supposing with humility recognizing that the truth in this matter belong only to GOD.

GOD in his Lordship has decided not to expose the author of this brilliant book. Let us humble before him and accept his sentence. Moreover, let us learn from that, the art of not exposing ourselves, our science and our ability, but in all things give the glory to GOD alone.

LoJ

I completely agree with you about the sovereignty of God not disclosing the author of this book and we should accept his authority in that sense. That was a heavy one. However, when each individual search out the matters and hold something close to the fact/truth even thought it might not be universally accepted; it still doesn't mean we cannot hold a certain view. This is similar to the other thread where both sides seems to have some facts about the angels. Anyway, I so much appreciate your thought and always respect your thought, loving to read your thought anywhere in any thread.
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 25, 2012
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by buzugee(m): 11:16pm On Jun 25, 2012
oh ye carnal minded children of God,

But can the ax boast greater power than the person who uses it? Is the saw greater than the person who saws? Can a rod strike unless a hand moves it? Can a wooden cane walk by itself? ISAIAH 10:15

let us come to the conclusion of the whole matter

All Scripture is God-breathed 2 TIMOTHY 3 VS 16

so whomever wrote it is insignificant because he was simply the axe used by God. The person who swung the axe is God.
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Goshen360(m): 1:57pm On Jun 27, 2012
buzugee: oh ye carnal minded children of God,

But can the ax boast greater power than the person who uses it? Is the saw greater than the person who saws? Can a rod strike unless a hand moves it? Can a wooden cane walk by itself? ISAIAH 10:15

let us come to the conclusion of the whole matter

All Scripture is God-breathed 2 TIMOTHY 3 VS 16

so whomever wrote it is insignificant because he was simply the axe used by God. The person who swung the axe is God.

You and ALL these your quotes. Nobody says the ALL scriptures is not God breathed, we are only trying to also "prove all things" cheesy
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Goshen360(m): 3:37pm On Jun 27, 2012
Okay, here is my presentation that Apostle Paul wrote the book of Hebrews

1. The thought, reasoning and skilled exposition is Paul's

2. Difference in this writing and style is due to the fact he is NOW writing to the Jews as a Jew and NOT to the Gentiles he was primarily sent to minister to in as other epistles - Galatians 2:7.

3. Change and difference in writing is also by the wisdom of God which Apostle Peter confirmed. 2 Peter 3:15-16.

4. Peter confirmed that fact that Paul wrote an epistle to the Jews. 2 Peter 3:15-16

5. The reason for leaving out his name is first by wisdom as referenced in 2 Peter 3:15-16 and also, so that it would be read and received more by the Jews who hated him and would not want to listen to anything he had to say. Luke translated it into Greek, hence it is similar to Acts in expression. (culled from The Ante-Nicene Fathers. Vol.2, pg 579)

6. In the oldest MSS, the epistle follows Galatians with the title "To The Hebrews", indicating that it was part of the Galatians letter. It could therefore follow that the authorship in Gal.1:1 applies to both books. This goes further to explain why Paul speaks of Galatians as a large letter - Gal.6:11.

7. Both the book of Galatians and Hebrews argue on the abolishment of the Old covenant.

8. Both anticipate the visit of the writer - Gal.4:20; Heb.13:19.

9. Paul was the ONLY NT writer who requested prayer for himself - 2 Thess.3:1; Heb.13:18

10. Many exhortations parallels with that of Paul's - Compare: Heb.12:3 with Gal.6:9; Heb.12:14 with Rom.12:18; Heb.13:1-3 with Ehp.5:2-4; Heb.13:16 with Phil.4:18; Heb.5:12 with 1 Cor.3:2; Heb.10:1 with Col.2:17.

11. Apostle Paul was the ONLY NT writer who wrote from prison and expected release - Compare: Heb.13:19,23 with Phil.1:7-8,13,26, 2:23-24.

12. No other NT writer in their epistles mentions Timothy even as it relates to imprisonment or bond except Paul. Also, Paul mentions Timothy and always call him "brother". Compare: Heb.13:23 with 2 Cor.1:1; Col.1:1; 1 Thes.3:2; Philemon 1:1.
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jun 27, 2012
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Goshen360(m): 5:51pm On Jun 27, 2012
LoJ: Hello Goshen! Thank you for your contribution.

I do not agree with you for some reasons:

1- The author of the Book of Hebrew claim to have been trained and taught by an Apostle. Paul on the other hand, claim to have been enlighted by GOD ( See (1 Corinthians 11:23; Galatians 1:12 for Paul and Hebrews 2:3 for the author).

That Heb. 2:3 is an open text which "and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him" can translate into the Apostles of Jesus or those that first bear witness during the time Jesus live on earth. Paul, of course wasn't part of the original twelves and that verse can interpret that cause if put in context.

LoJ:

2- Paul who was a former pharisee ALWAYS quoted the Torah from the original text in Hebrew (that is the Masoretic text). The Author of Hebrew quotes the Greek Old Testament (The septuagint).

Will it be okay if we say this is due to that fact that Luke translated into Greek?

LoJ:

3- Your suppositions concerning the book of galatians are just a theory and can't be proven.

How are they suppositions? But I have references for comparison, lolz

LoJ:
4- I do not see the point with 2 Peter 3: 15 for Peter is not adressing to the Jews but to "To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:"

But Peter was primarily sent to the Jews even though his letter wasn't "explicitly" to the Jews but his primary assignment was to the Jewish Christians.

LoJ:

5- etc.

grin

Anyways, we are just exercising our minds in the word of God and having fellowship with one another. No debate, lolz
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jun 27, 2012
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Goshen360(m): 5:54am On Jun 28, 2012
^^^

On the aspect of the translation. I have to agree with you on that.

On the aspect of Peter, am not saying Peter PRIMARILY wrote to the Jews. Read my comment that you quoted again. I said since he was primarily sent to the Jewish Christians and Paul was primarily sent to the Gentiles, which I gave a scripture to that effect. Peter mentioning it in his epistle (as though) writing to the Jewish Christian BUT NOT EXPLICITLY for the Jewish Christ. I don't know how best to explain it more but I couldn't have meant that Peter "explicitly" wrote to the Jewish Christians ALONE because I didn't read such in the Bible.
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 8:12am On Jun 28, 2012
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by buzugee(m): 10:33am On Jun 28, 2012
LoJ: Hello Brother Goshen!

Seriously, this is less than assumptions this is just I don't know how to call it. First of all, Peter - nor JESUS- has never defined himself as a man sent to the Jews. In the book of acts, we see him ministering to many non jews.

Secondly, it is Paul who presents himself as the apostle of the gentiles and Peter as the apostle of the Jew. But when we study, we know it is more a contrast Paul is doing here, for in every city he was going to, Paul used to start preaching in the Synagogues of the Jews!

Finally, Peter wrote both of his epistle from where he called babylon (most likely ROMA)! He was very far from israel, and he himself mentions that he is writing to the whole body of Christ so why to think the people he was addressing to were Jews?

If peter were exclusively dedicated to the jews, he would never have left Jerusalem, to find himself in Roma...
john 4 vs 22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews

matthew 15 vs 24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

acts 5 vs 30 and 31 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Loj i hope you are aware that scripture is of no private interpretation now ( 2 peter 1 vs 20 ) grin
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 11:11am On Jun 28, 2012
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by buzugee(m): 11:12am On Jun 28, 2012
LoJ: I do not see the point you're making...
look at the bolded part of your statement. you said Jesus never said he came for the jews
Re: The Epistle To The Hebrews - Have You Studied It? Let's Proved The Writer. by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jun 28, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

School Of Fasting (part 1) / London Black Atheists / Deeper Life Bible Church Chatbox

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.