Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam (13497 Views)

Man Accused Of Withdrawing N45 Million Tells His side Of The Story / Wife, Children Accused Of Hacking Husband To Death / Man Burnt To Death For Impregnating Mother, Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by OAM4J: 2:23am On Jun 25, 2012
A Colorado mother and daughter are accused in an internet dating scam spanning 40 countries, in which fake soldiers started relationships with women, then asked them for money, CBS Denver reported.

The victims were allegedly cheated out of more than $1 million.

An indictment from the Colorado Attorney General accuses Tracy and Karen Vasseur of Adams County of being part of a "Nigerian internet romance scam" involving people pretending to be military members serving in Afghanistan.

Tracy, 41, and her mother, Karen, 73, live in Brighton. They allegedly tricked women into relationships and accepted payments via wire over a three-year period.

Prosecutors said six of their victims live in Colorado. Investigators believe there are 374 victims in all, from 41 countries including the United States, CBS Denver reported.

The indictment claims the mother-and-daughter scammers took a percentage of the stolen money and then wired the remaining money to associates in Nigeria.

They allegedly established 20 personal and business bank accounts at 11 local banks for the purposes of laundering stolen money. The business was listed under the name A-Team Distributions Inc. and KKJ Services.

As part of the scheme, Tracy also allegedly used her own 16-year-old daughter to fraudulently receive stolen money and then wire it to Nigeria.

According to CBS Denver, Tracy Vasseur faces up to 205 years in prison if convicted on all counts, and her mother faces up to 172 years behind bars.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57458311-504083/colo-mother-and-daughter-accused-of-international-internet-dating-scam/
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by Nobody: 2:59am On Jun 25, 2012
NAIJAAAAA....LETS PUT OUR INNOVATIVE MINDS TO SOMETHING POSITIVE THAT CAN BENEFIT HUMAN KIND!!! IT IS EVIDENT WE ARE AN INTELLIGENT PEOPLE...BUT MISGUIDED!!!

4 Likes

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by msb247(m): 3:02am On Jun 25, 2012
Hmmm. So Nigerians are known for welcoming all sorts of crimes. Only in this country that virtually anything bad can be tolerated. If only we'll put our intelligence to good use, we can even be the best economy in the whole world... with the resources and kind of people we have!

2 Likes

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by SisiKill1: 3:12am On Jun 25, 2012
msb247: Hmmm. So Nigerians are known for welcoming all sorts of crimes. Only in this country that virtually anything bad can be tolerated. If only we'll put our intelligence to good use, we can even be the best economy in the whole world... with the resources and kind of people we have!

engineerd: NAIJAAAAA....LETS PUT OUR INNOVATIVE MINDS TO SOMETHING POSITIVE THAT CAN BENEFIT HUMAN KIND!!! IT IS EVIDENT WE ARE AN INTELLIGENT PEOPLE...BUT MISGUIDED!!!
I don't think you guys read the article at all. . . You saw Nigerian and Scam and automatically jumped to conclusion. . .it is understandable of course but for once this isn't a Nigerian crime, so it is unfair to start berating Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by ektbear: 3:18am On Jun 25, 2012
Hrm.

The indictment claims the mother-and-daughter scammers took a percentage of the stolen money and then wired the remaining money to associates in Nigeria.

So what exactly was the Nigerian role in this?
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by born2boink(m): 3:23am On Jun 25, 2012
They did not read question before answer? No wonder WAEC keep compllaining of masss failure

1 Like

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by Hoodrat(m): 3:51am On Jun 25, 2012
Those women were been used by Nigerians scam artist in order to built trust between their mugus the women are greedy and gullible themselves for voluntarily agreeing to operate a large scale Nigeria scam network. In some cases the women might be innocent and unaware of such but this one shows a different turned for is obvious the women were in for percentage. A friend of mine says a good Nigerian is a dead one cry

1 Like

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by Nobody: 3:56am On Jun 25, 2012
Don't knock their hustle.. cool

America is the land of the thieves...

Nas - America Land of the Thieves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl_WbEH9lOI
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by Nobody: 3:58am On Jun 25, 2012
Hoodrat: Those women were been used by Nigerians scam artist in order to built trust between their mugus the women are greedy and gullible themselves for voluntarily agreeing to operate a large scale Nigeria scam network. In some cases the women might be innocent and unaware of such but this one shows a different turned for is obvious the women were in for percentage. A friend of mine says a good Nigerian is a dead one cry

Not true......but the bad ones have a louder voice!!!

2 Likes

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by Hoodrat(m): 4:20am On Jun 25, 2012
engineerd:

Not true......but the bad ones have a louder voice!!!

Bro the thing tire person. Imagine waking up everyday to this kind bad news everyday about Nigerians? to found a good news on nairaland na wahala cuz 95% of the news na about tragedy/disaster, government looting,fraud and crime. This kind news is enough to derailed person brain cry.
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by antitpiah: 4:42am On Jun 25, 2012
engineerd: NAIJAAAAA....LETS PUT OUR INNOVATIVE MINDS TO SOMETHING POSITIVE THAT CAN BENEFIT HUMAN KIND!!! IT IS EVIDENT WE ARE AN INTELLIGENT PEOPLE...BUT MISGUIDED!!!

There is nothing inventive here. For the real hi-tech crimes, look towards Asia.
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by Nobody: 4:48am On Jun 25, 2012
Duping people is not intelligence anybody can lie; Nigerians should know that any sin committed by one of us, demeans the whole of us; your ill gotten wealth is not respected in the committee of nations and you and your children will inadvertently return to slavery and servitude, because this is the lot of thieves
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by ayobase(m): 5:09am On Jun 25, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

I don't think you guys read the article at all. . . You saw Nigerian and Scam and automatically jumped to conclusion. . .it is understandable of course but for once this isn't a Nigerian crime, so it is unfair to start berating Nigerians.

I began to wonder myself!
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by ayobase(m): 5:13am On Jun 25, 2012
Hoodrat:

Bro the thing tire person. Imagine waking up everyday to this kind bad news everyday about Nigerians? to found a good news on nairaland na wahala cuz 95% of the news na about tragedy/disaster, government looting,fraud and crime. This kind news is enough to derailed person brain cry.

Don't tell me u have not been seeing threads about Nigerians doing us proud around d globe!

1 Like

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by mustkaka: 5:34am On Jun 25, 2012
Can't there associates in nigeria be tracked down ?
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by blackknight1: 5:35am On Jun 25, 2012
What actually catches my attention is the amount of jail sentence they are likely 2 face for committing this fraud in d US. Over 200 yrs jail time no b beans oo. Bode Gorge was convicted for fraud, nd i don't think he spent up2 3yrs in jail. That's for some1 that even had a conviction. How many of our former governors ave bin charged 2 court since the time of Ibadu ave actually bin convicted? And see d speed by which ibori was convicted in d UK... No one is talking abt our judicial system, but i believe that it encourages corruption

1 Like

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by bigx(m): 5:46am On Jun 25, 2012
ekt_bear: Hrm.

So what exactly was the Nigerian role in this?

The money was wired to Nigeria, I was happy till I saw the Nigerian connection.. This's messed up really.
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by Nobody: 5:54am On Jun 25, 2012
Bribery and coRruption is every where in the world
This innocent americans has fallen prey of nigeria yahoo yahoo boys who gives u small to take much from u thry even do as much as sending international check to their online daters to clear and place them on percentage. All these yahoo boys will rot in efcc custody and rot in hell
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by freecocoa(f): 6:01am On Jun 25, 2012
205 and 172 years in prison?shocked

This oyinbo people funny sha.

Do people still live that long in this world again?

1 Like

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by texazzpete(m): 6:14am On Jun 25, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

I don't think YOU read the article at all. These two women are the American collaborators of a Nigerian scam gang.

2 Likes

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by crackhouse(m): 6:17am On Jun 25, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

abeg leave those people that are always quick to condemning this country. It's very clear Nigerians are not the brain behind it, even if they were part of it.
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by cyril83(m): 6:30am On Jun 25, 2012
Read the article very well before answerig and u guyz shud stop berating and nailing nigeria,fraud is everywia besides how did tracy and her mother got the money? They fraud some pple and some dude outsmart them....they themselves are thieves and greedy fraudster...I see no reason why u guyz shud be saying trash abt naija,dia's ongoin scam in di Uk,US dudes are not left out,australia,germany sti counting
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by IamFenriz(m): 6:40am On Jun 25, 2012
Some of you are so incrdibly daft on this thread? How can u say Nigerians were not d brains behind it?? Isnt it obvious that d women were just pawns used to wire the money? All d online chatting and messaging with the women that were duped dont u think its d naija guys that were doin it Kai ppl shld use their brains abeg

2 Likes

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by ektbear: 6:41am On Jun 25, 2012
bigx:

The money was wired to Nigeria, I was happy till I saw the Nigerian connection.. This's messed up really.

Were the Nigerians the fake soldiers? My question is, what role did the Nigerians play (aside from receiving some of the money)? The article focuses on the role of the Americans. But no discussion of what the Nigerians actually did.

Or maybe I missed it in the article..
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by Tadup: 6:45am On Jun 25, 2012
i trust nigerians
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by Nobody: 6:54am On Jun 25, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Dude....they had Nigerian pimps.....

1 Like

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by Nobody: 6:55am On Jun 25, 2012
ekt_bear:

Were the Nigerians the fake soldiers? My question is, what role did the Nigerians play (aside from receiving some of the money)? The article focuses on the role of the Americans. But no discussion of what the Nigerians actually did.

Or maybe I missed it in the article..

You can rightly infer that the Nigerians were the pimps! they are using the Magas now to make Magas out of other Magas do u get it

1 Like

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by lion042(m): 7:02am On Jun 25, 2012
Chai.....Guys don hammer better money....Naija for life
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by seunadeolu(m): 7:03am On Jun 25, 2012
It better they hang them and help end their miserable lives rather than send them to 2 century jail terms
OAM4J:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57458311-504083/colo-mother-and-daughter-accused-of-international-internet-dating-scam/
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by LordReed(m): 7:07am On Jun 25, 2012
engineerd:

You can rightly infer that the Nigerians were the pimps! they are using the Magas now to make Magas out of other Magas do u get it

In other words greed and crime lies across the whole human spectrum and is not uniquely Nigerian.
Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by Nobody: 7:12am On Jun 25, 2012
Can anyone show me where it is written that the associates in Nigeria are Nigerians or you guys mean to tell me there are no USA citizens in Nigeria that could be the associate? Please let's not be in a haste to condemn this country no matter how bad we look.

2 Likes

Re: US Mother & Daughter Accused Of Nigerian Internet Dating Scam by horlabiyi(m): 7:14am On Jun 25, 2012
There are lots of corruptions in U.S than in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

17 Years Old Girl Murdered Her Father For Money Ritual."my Dad Is A Very Lazy Hu / Fake Kidnapper Arrested Trying To Dupe SUN Deputy Managing Director (picture) / Hanifa’s Murder: Court To Pass Judgement On July 28

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.