Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,786 members, 7,827,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! (7593 Views)

..... / Sickle Cell Patients: Let's Share Our Wonderful Experience / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by emsquare(m): 7:52am On Jun 29, 2012
yankidelta:

Omo the figure is still alarming whichever way U̶̲̥̅̊ look @ it.Ignorance is one major factor shaa

Well said!
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 7:53am On Jun 29, 2012
queensmith:

God bless you, i was literally going to start crying if someone didn't mention this. Given the history of infant mortality, and the abiku phenomenon that someone mentioned. It only makes sense most will carry the traits. It's a selective advantage.

They should be working more on the malaria problem we have!

They need to start investing in better treatment of these patients, the prevalence isn't going away any time soon. They should be catering for them there is no need for them to be dying in their early 20s. The world has advanced beyond that point. If a country like England can provide better treatment for a disease that isn't even endogenous to it's own type of people then I don't see why Nigeria cannot.

And who says that SCD patients are prone to die in their twenties... please remove that concept from your mind. I agree that with better medical care SCD patients will live a more fulfilled life.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by queensmith: 8:02am On Jun 29, 2012
Abali1:

And who says that SCD patients are prone to die in their twenties... please remove that concept from your mind. I agree that with better medical care SCD patients will live a more fulfilled life.

Is that not one of the things they use to 'create awareness' of the disease back home? They say all sorts of things, they cant be tall, they all have yellow eyes, they can't kids. When I have a 5'10 model friend with SS who recently gave birth to a healthy boy.

and please if you are going to correct me replace it with the correct life expectancy. The one in my mind might not be true but the belief will be propagated as long as Nigeria fails to provide concrete medical facts.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 8:10am On Jun 29, 2012
queensmith:

Is that not one of the things they use to 'create awareness' of the disease back home? They say all sorts of things, they cant be tall, they all have yellow eyes, they can't kids. When I have a 5'10 model friend with SS who recently gave birth to a healthy boy.

and please if you are going to correct me replace it with the correct life expectancy. The one in my mind might not be true but the belief will be propagated as long as Nigeria fails to provide concrete medical facts.

Queensmith, there is no correct life expectancy age for an SCD patient. If a sickler understands his or her system and adhere stricktly to those medications that help him or her keep fit, then the person can well hope to live fulfilled life well into his or her 80s. Recently the sun newspaper carried a story of a woman with SCD who is into her 80s and she is still kicking and alive.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Nobody: 8:27am On Jun 29, 2012
Abali1:

I am no doctor, but a carrier of SCD should as much as possible avoid malaria. Infact malaria is one the most fatal sicknesses to a sickler. the SCD patient should endeavour to take malaria preventive drugs at least once a month.

I want a doctor's opinion on this cuz a certified doctor told me that due to the sickle nature of the red blood cells of anaemic people,the plasmodium of mosquito CANT survive in them which makes such people immune to malaria;that AS are even more immune to diseases than AA.dont we have doctors on NL ?
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by queensmith: 8:28am On Jun 29, 2012
Abali1:

Queensmith, there is no correct life expectancy age for an SCD patient. If a sickler understands his or her system and adhere stricktly to those medications that help him or her keep fit, then the person can well hope to live fulfilled life well into his or her 80s. Recently the sun newspaper carried a story of a woman with SCD who is into her 80s and she is still kicking and alive.

Thats untrue- I go with the mid 20s average, i believe that's correct.

It simply defines the average life expectancy of those that have the disease, it doesn't mean everyone with SS will die at that age.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by queensmith: 8:30am On Jun 29, 2012
~Bluetooth:

I want a doctor's opinion on this cuz a certified doctor told me that due to the sickle nature of the red blood cells of anaemic people,the plasmodium of mosquito CNT survive in them which makes such people immune to malaria;that AS are even more immune to diseases than AA.dont we have doctors on NL ?

LOL- you are right I don't know where he's getting his information from. SS carriers cannot get malaria. hence the selective advantage.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by studman: 8:38am On Jun 29, 2012
queensmith:

LOL- you are right I don't know where he's getting his information from. SS carriers cannot get malaria. hence the selective advantage.
HbSS patients cannot have malaria shocked shocked shocked,I think that's the joke of the millennieum grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by studman: 8:46am On Jun 29, 2012
studman:
HbSS patients cannot have malaria shocked shocked shocked,I think that's the joke of the millennieum grin grin grin
Sorry##,millenium## tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Muh(m): 8:50am On Jun 29, 2012
Pls can somebody guide me how to post topic or question on NL?[b][/b]
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 8:52am On Jun 29, 2012
queensmith:

i have SCD, and i have researched well into the facts, fiction and myths of SCD. Your average of mid 20s is a myth jus like abiku phenomenon. You can ask any doctor, malaria is in the top 5% killer sickness of SCD patients.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by ntuoyi(f): 8:53am On Jun 29, 2012
To all4naija
you can be part of the research.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by queensmith: 9:02am On Jun 29, 2012
Abali1:

i have SCD, and i have researched well into the facts, fiction and myths of SCD. Your average of mid 20s is a myth jus like abiku phenomenon. You can ask any doctor, malaria is in the top 5% killer sickness of SCD patients.

really? Can you give me a link?
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Bunkermagic: 9:05am On Jun 29, 2012
sad y u guys bringin us bad names? U guys r disgracin dis country so much, show some respect
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Nobody: 9:06am On Jun 29, 2012
studman:

Stop tripping and give us your medical opinion.WE NEED DOCTOR'S OPINION NOT RIFF-RAFFS'.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 9:20am On Jun 29, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Stop tripping and give us your medical opinion.WE NEED DOCTOR'S OPINION NOT RIFF-RAFFS'.

Bluetooth, one thing you should know is that most Nigerian doctors don't even research well into HBSS type of patients. please if you do not believe that SS patients suffer from malaria, do yourself a favour and visit the sickle cell centre in lagos, opposite LUTH.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 9:28am On Jun 29, 2012
queensmith:

really? Can you give me a link?

You can as well use good old google. Malaria and typhoid are the common sicknesses that can send a sickler to his grave if not well treated.
The high fever as a result of malaria leads to break down of the red blood cell, and remember that a sickler already have some of his RBC mutated due to the sickling of his RBC. Moreover most drugs used to treat malaria are strong anti biotics which also leads to more breaking down of the RBC.

My dear, I ve lived with SCD for over 30 years and I know what i'm talking about. You can equally visit the centre opposite LUTH and make your enquiries.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by claremont(m): 9:29am On Jun 29, 2012
I'm yet to see any objective proof to support the argument that the "average life expectancy of a sickler is in his/her 20's", people who spread such falsehood should either provide the proof or keep quiet. A sickler has no average life expectancy, his/her life expectancy is dependent on the way the disease is being managed.

Back to topic, it is not news that Nigeria may have the highest number of sickle cell patients in the world. In the same vein, it is not news that Nigeria may also have the highest number of malaria patients in the world. These are diseases which affect mainly Africans, and Nigeria is the most populated African country; so in essence, the correlation is glaring enough for a blind man to see.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by mountzionbow: 9:31am On Jun 29, 2012
Yes,the numbers are scary,but in reality,What is the cause. Many fall in love with their mouth and magic wand instead of thinking and knowing the genotype of their partner.Educated Nigerian are the ones leading the pack. Pls. stop getting married without knowing your spouses genotype or blood group.It is not funny please
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by queensmith: 9:37am On Jun 29, 2012
Abali1:

You can as well use good old google. Malaria and typhoid are the common sicknesses that can send a sickler to his grave if not well treated.
The high fever as a result of malaria leads to break down of the red blood cell, and remember that a sickler already have some of his RBC mutated due to the sickling of his RBC. Moreover most drugs used to treat malaria are strong anti biotics which also leads to more breaking down of the RBC.

My dear, I ve lived with SCD for over 30 years and I know what i'm talking about. You can equally visit the centre opposite LUTH and make your enquiries.

the problem is most of these journals focus on the trait rather than the disease.

It doesn't make any sense, if carrying one trait offers partial immunity (to specific types of malaria). Then how does being homozygous to the SS gene not offer full protection. Now hearing malaria is a big killer of people with SS is just absolutely confusing.

Don't worry I am on google scholars case!
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Stronger99: 9:37am On Jun 29, 2012
queensmith:

Ignorance is a biatch. I have SCD and i suffer frm malaria often. In fact, the only issues i have is malaria. All d other so called complications of having the ailment doesn't bother me. Whenever i leave the shores of Nigeria, i am as healthy as they come because of the absece of malaria.
Most things being peddled around are myths. I'm stronger than most AA chaps i know.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by IdiAmin2(m): 9:46am On Jun 29, 2012
Abali1:

Sure it's a myth
my younger brother has SCD.
He is 36 this year, and you wouldnt even know if you see him as he is well built. he has healthy kids also.

One thing is he was living in London for about 8 years when he was in his 20s and in that time had about 4 very mild crisis episodes. The moment he relocatted back to Naija, the crisis are more often and more severe.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 9:54am On Jun 29, 2012
Stronger99:

Ignorance is a biatch. I have SCD and i suffer frm malaria often. In fact, the only issues i have is malaria. All d other so called complications of having the ailment doesn't bother me. Whenever i leave the shores of Nigeria, i am as healthy as they come because of the absece of malaria.
Most things being peddled around are myths. I'm stronger than most AA chaps i know.

My brother thank you for this. Doctors and researchers focus on AS people who are just carriers and come up with all sorts of theories.

Queensmith, please if You are based in Nigeria make out time to visit the sickle cell centre opposite LUTH and make enquiries.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by lioncoolst(m): 9:54am On Jun 29, 2012
nnenna.1:

Huh? So you're saying that people with sickle cell (genetic trait) should not be existing anymore?

undecided
Did you miss your 'Comprehension' classes in school that you do not understand a simple and straight forward grammatical expression? I advise that you reread what you responded to. undecided[quote author=nnenna.1]
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by adeoladrg(m): 9:58am On Jun 29, 2012
@bluetooth. For your question, the issue is that whoever has SCD has the name implies 'sickle cell', the sufferers blood cell takes a sickle shape there by depriving the blood of oxygen.

The fact is carriers (AS) can develop malaria,(AA) develop it very well cos their blood is okay for d malaria parasite..but(SS)..no..u can prove me wrong cos i dont know much..i'll bring my proof later..cheers
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 10:00am On Jun 29, 2012
claremont: I'm yet to see any objective proof to support the argument that the "average life expectancy of a sickler is in his/her 20's", people who spread such falsehood should either provide the proof or keep quiet. A sickler has no average life expectancy, his/her life expectancy is dependent on the way the disease is being managed.

Back to topic, it is not news that Nigeria may have the highest number of sickle cell patients in the world. In the same vein, it is not news that Nigeria may also have the highest number of malaria patients in the world. These are diseases which affect mainly Africans, and Nigeria is the most populated African country; so in essence, the correlation is glaring enough for a blind man to see.

In Nigeria, we take myths as facts. When I was growing up I heard all sorts of rubbish. One was that I will never make my 21st birthday, or if I make it I will get to 25.
But to God be the glory, I'm in my early 30s inching to mid 30s. Moreover my mum's friend is also a sickler and she is well into her 60s, and I also have a lecturer friend in the Uni with 3 kids who is over 50.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by lighternote: 10:05am On Jun 29, 2012
smh,someone is asking for a link to malaria occurrence in HbSS... jus google it. It's a top killer!
Back to d topic,d statistics is as alarming as it is disheartening.our large population does not explain it.The fact remains that Nigeria has one of the poorest public education system among developing nations; inadequate support from government,poor health facilities to alleviate d already existing problems,little or non-existence of resourced researches,no government policies to PREVENT diseases.In fact,PREVENTIVE approaches in community medicine is almost non-existent. If not,tell me y,Hb AS still marry HbAS or HbSS in d name of love? by a simple act of careful procreation pattern, d burden of large no of SC dx in Nigeria will b reduced!
Did u kno that Nigeria still has one of d highest incidence of a preventable cancer---cervical cancer due to poor public health education,poor policies n implementation?
Did u know that lassa fever was discovered in Nigeria and is still in Nigeria for over 4decades cos of poor public health? A disease which can simply b controlled by controlling its vector,rats.
In summary,d black populatio-large population relationship does not justify the large incidence of SC dx in Nigeria.poor public health education,lack of adequate health policies n implementation do.
We can stop further procreation of HbSS persons!
(Nb:there is no such thing as life expectancy of HbSS,all depends on exposure or not to crisis trigger factors like malaria n other infectious dxs,availability of adequate healthcare,right nutrition n other supportive treatment.)
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by adeoladrg(m): 10:21am On Jun 29, 2012
In 1904, the disease was discovered by a young Chicago doctor named Jamed Herrick who examined a 20 year old black college student who had been admitted to hospital complaining of a variety of symptoms. These included fever, headache, weakness, dizziness and cough. What was striking was the appearance of d patient's RBC under the microscope. Herrick descibed them as sickle-shaped.

The patient's haemoglobin level was about half normal,in other words he was suffering from anaemia(lack of haemoglobin).

Symptoms...
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 10:22am On Jun 29, 2012
lighternote: smh,someone is asking for a link to malaria occurrence in HbSS... jus google it. It's a top killer!
Back to d topic,d statistics is as alarming as it is disheartening.our large population does not explain it.The fact remains that Nigeria has one of the poorest public education system among developing nations; inadequate support from government,poor health facilities to alleviate d already existing problems,little or non-existence of resourced researches,no government policies to PREVENT diseases.In fact,PREVENTIVE approaches in community medicine is almost non-existent. If not,tell me y,Hb AS still marry HbAS or HbSS in d name of love? by a simple act of careful procreation pattern, d burden of large no of SC dx in Nigeria will b reduced!
Did u kno that Nigeria still has one of d highest incidence of a preventable cancer---cervical cancer due to poor public health education,poor policies n implementation?
Did u know that lassa fever was discovered in Nigeria and is still in Nigeria for over 4decades cos of poor public health? A disease which can simply b controlled by controlling its vector,rats.
In summary,d black populatio-large population relationship does not justify the large incidence of SC dx in Nigeria.poor public
health education,lack of adequate health policies n implementation do.
(Nb:there is no such thing as life expectancy of HbSS,all depends on exposure or not to crisis trigger factors like malaria n other infectious dxs,availability of adequate healthcare,right nutrition n other supportive treatment.)

I believe that lack of public enlightenment is one of the reasons why an HBAS will marry an HBAS OR HBSS, in the name of love or Faith. Sure genetic make up of the unborn baby is subject to probability. But like I will say, why put God to the Test.
If HBSS is to be minimised or eradicated in the future generation, public enlightenment of Genetic crossing is very necessary. It is not enough to say that Nigeria has the highest number of SS people, without stating how people should go about choosing their spouses in the light of preventing HBSS children from coming to this world to face certain stigma and suffering.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by tos4u(m): 10:36am On Jun 29, 2012
And yet d population keep skyrocketin, n govt keep milkin d nation dry....
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by claremont(m): 10:37am On Jun 29, 2012
lighternote:
In summary,d black populatio-large population relationship does not justify the large incidence of SC dx in Nigeria.poor public health education,lack of adequate health policies n implementation do.
Is there any evidence that correlates the high sickle cell anaemia prevalence rate in Nigeria with poor healthcare indices?! I think NOT! I would agree with you if we were talking about malaria, but we are not.
lighternote:
This assertion is one of the most cynical and sadistic statements I have ever heard since the time of the Nazis!
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by adeoladrg(m): 10:43am On Jun 29, 2012
Symptoms..

The major xtics are anaemia. The sickle cells are useless and have to be broken down. They tend to jam in capillaries and small blood vessels and prevent normal blood flow. The kidney and joints are also affected. The blocking of blood vessels causes pain in the arms, leg, back and stomach which can be very severe.

Children with SCD are usually feel quite well for most of the time and can live relatively normal lives. However, they will generally suffer occasional 'sickle cell crises' when a sudden worsening of pain, infection or anaemia may occur..

Cause..

In 1949, a team of workers led by Linus Pauling showed that haemoglobin from SCD sufferers(HbS), is different from that of normal adult haemoglobin(HbA). Through electrophoresis, it was revealed that at pH 6.9 the overall charge on HbS is +ve whereas it is -ve in HbA.

In 1956, Ingram showed that this difference was due to a single amino acid.
Haemoglobin is made of four polypeptide chains. two alpha and two beta chains. The fault occurs at the sixth amino acid in the second beta chain..where valine(a non polar and hydrophobic(water hating) amino acid) repalces glutamic acid(a polar and hydrophilic(water loving)amino acid).

The presence of valine makes deoxygenated HbS less soluble. So when HbS loses oxygen the molecules come out of solution and crystallize into rigid rod-like fibres.

Now your question...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is "Ina Orun" Disease In English / Dapo Abiodun: We Met Five Ambulances In Ogun, We Have Bought 12 More / Bauchi Discharges Three COVID-19 Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.