Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,397 members, 7,815,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! (7587 Views)

..... / Sickle Cell Patients: Let's Share Our Wonderful Experience / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by amosy007: 10:48am On Jun 29, 2012
Billyonaire: Every organization now predict doom's day for Nigeria. This country does not have biometric database for Christ's sake. How the hell do you guyz get facts without data,.....?

Funniest part ...some bonicle heads believe any stupid statitics done by someone in his or her room

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by adeoladrg(m): 10:50am On Jun 29, 2012
Someone carrying a faulty gene is far less susceptible to malaria(the malaria parasite multiples normally inside normal RBC). AA pple often have malaria depending on their hygiene and contact with its vector. AS can develop it but its minimal..But SS? i dont think so..cos plasmodium can survive in that sickle blood and needs oxygen to multiply..Fank u
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by queensmith: 10:56am On Jun 29, 2012
Now this is just very confusing;
This is what google gives you;
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-3156.1997.d01-322.x/pdf Hbss carriers low levels of pf in kenya
http://biomed.emory.edu/PROGRAM_SITES/PBEE/pdf/Udhayakumar6.pdf Hbss with significantly fewer levels of malarial parasitameia
http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v37/n11/abs/ng1660.html This (possibly sheds a little light on things, as the resistance seems to be specific to a certain type of malaria)
This Nigerian paper on the other hand. . . .this is actually very surprising. So now there is a higher risk of malaria with associated with SS.http://www.medwelljournals.com/fulltext/?doi=ijtmed.2011.73.76

I'm missing something here. . . . .I'm going to waste my time finding out what! (you can learn from this place i'm grateful!)
This makes sense,

Similar protection against severe malaria (high parasitemia) is also thought to occur in patients homozygous for sickle cell anemia (HbSS). However, even a mild degree of hemolysis from malarial infection can lead to significant anemia and even death in patients with HbSS.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722546/
But it still doesn't explain the findings in the Nigerian paper, don't know what to conclude from all this contrasting information.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Shinatu: 11:13am On Jun 29, 2012
Abali1:

In Nigeria, we take myths as facts. When I was growing up I heard all sorts of rubbish. One was that I will never make my 21st birthday, or if I make it I will get to 25.
But to God be the glory, I'm in my early 30s inching to mid 30s. Moreover my mum's friend is also a sickler and she is well into her 60s, and I also have a lecturer friend in the Uni with 3 kids who is over 50.

Even within the general SS category, there is much variance, that is why you may know an SS that looks and is indeed healthy. I have lost two friends to SCD, (I am SC) and these were not poor people, one was in his late twenties then and was the son of the Chairman of a top paint manufacturing company in Nigeria, the other just recently, was a Petroleum Engineer, these were not poor people who could not take care of themselves.

Why am I taking out time to say this? when SC carriers want to marry themselves, the above quoted statement is the excuse they give, they tell you how they know people who are SS and are healthy, you never can tell what variance of the SCD your kids may come up with so please stay away from producing children with SCD, it could be a life of stress and sorrow!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by bman2003: 12:03pm On Jun 29, 2012
People, why are we crying out about this disease when the very treatment, i mean treatment is in our own nigeria. Please can someone visit esomaherbals.com for details or mail me @ b2much200329@yahoo.com, I have seen results with my eyes. stop the nagging!!!
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Ninilowo(m): 12:21pm On Jun 29, 2012
so what? Anything negative about nigeria is always blown out of proportion.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 29, 2012
Life expectancy is about averages, my Dad lived till 64 and I have an Uncle who lived till his 70s but they are the exceptions. A lot of people with sickel cell die at a very young age so that brings the average age down. The thruth is its meant to just show you the average rate of survival ultimately only God knows when any of us will die.

The problem is that such a high percentage of the population are carriers or have the disease. I don't think the number of AA people in any generation is not enough so its hard for all SS and AS people to find 1 to marry and this is a society where people belive they must have children hence the problem. We need to start looking more into alternative methods of having kids that allow you to do genetic testing before even implantation via IVF but realistically how many people in the society can afford such?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Les: 4:09pm On Jun 29, 2012
Billyonaire: Every organization now predict doom's day for Nigeria. This country does not have biometric database for Christ's sake. How the hell do you guyz get facts without data,.....?
see wonder o, can you imagine? 100k outta 250k is just for 1country outta the whole country in the world? This's a wicked lie and 9ja needs to take this to international court in hague cos whoever made this statistics should be punished. WTF!!
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 4:43pm On Jun 29, 2012
[quote author=Shinatu]

Even within the general SS category, there is much variance, that is why you may know an SS that looks and is indeed healthy. I have lost two friends to SCD, (I am SC) and these were not poor people, one was in his late twenties then and was the son of the Chairman of a top paint manufacturing company in Nigeria, the other just recently, was a Petroleum Engineer, these were not poor people who could not take care of themselves.

Why am I taking out time to say this? when SC carriers want to marry themselves, the above quoted statement is the excuse they give, they tell you how they know people who are SS and are healthy, you never can tell what variance of the SCD your kids may come up with so please stay away from producing children with SCD, it could be a life of stress and sorrow!

it is not about coming from rich home, though it helps. it is more about the individual understanding his or her peculiar nature. The bible says MAN KNOW THYSELF.
For instance, even before I fall ill I will first get the signs. Then if I neglect those signs I only have myself to blame. Some people with SCD at some point feel at ease with themselves, thereby neglecting their health and medication.
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by Abali1(m): 4:46pm On Jun 29, 2012
[quote author=queensmith]Now this is just very confusing;
This is what google gives you;
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-3156.1997.d01-322.x/pdf Hbss carriers low levels of pf in kenya
http://biomed.emory.edu/PROGRAM_SITES/PBEE/pdf/Udhayakumar6.pdf Hbss with significantly fewer levels of malarial parasitameia
http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v37/n11/abs/ng1660.html This (possibly sheds a little light on things, as the resistance seems to be specific to a certain type of malaria)
This Nigerian paper on the other hand. . . .this is actually very surprising. So now there is a higher risk of malaria with associated with SS.http://www.medwelljournals.com/fulltext/?doi=ijtmed.2011.73.76

I'm missing something here. . . . .I'm going to waste my time finding out what! (you can learn from this place i'm grateful!)
This makes sense,

"queensmith, don't forget that even the SS patient has some normal RBC, which can also help the malaria parasite to thrive. Thus if malaria attacks the little RBC that are normal it becomes very dangerous for SCD Patient."
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by lepasharon(f): 4:40am On Jul 05, 2012
Interesting find
I've also noticed as you go down Africa ,in southern Africa there is no sickle cell present? Also in East Africa,and with the Hausas too?
Re: Nigeria Has The Highest Sickle Cell Patients In The World! by studman: 12:29am On Jul 20, 2019
Bluetooth2:

Stop tripping and give us your medical opinion.WE NEED DOCTOR'S OPINION NOT RIFF-RAFFS'.
See this nincompoop! Google is your friend. That's if your intelligence or lack of it can Google Search.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman Born With 3 Breasts Releases More Photos / My HIV Test Result / COVID-19 Update For March 30 2021 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.