Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,765 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

How Has Ben Carson's Book Inspired You? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Has Ben Carson's Book Inspired You? (2479 Views)

What Are the wise quotes that have always inspired you? / Tips From Ben Carson's Book 'think Big' / Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Has Ben Carson's Book Inspired You? by Kslib(m): 11:04am On Jun 29, 2012
Hi guys, i have heard so much about Ben Carson,although i haven't read any of his books. I believe most of you have read some of his books.
For those that have read his books,has any of his books inspired/motivated you in any way?
Re: How Has Ben Carson's Book Inspired You? by ikee(m): 2:19pm On Jun 29, 2012
Never heard such a name before but would be pleased on how to get his books.
Re: How Has Ben Carson's Book Inspired You? by sammirano: 3:07pm On Jun 29, 2012
Gifted hands
Re: How Has Ben Carson's Book Inspired You? by yemstok(m): 5:09pm On Jun 29, 2012
GIFTED HANDS inspired me a lot.It made me realize how I can be as great,even greater than the so called Geniuses regardless the colour of your skin.
Also, it taught me that "Impossibility is nothing, no obstacle can stop me from being what i wanna be."

“Success is determined not by whether or not you face obstacles, but by your reaction to them. And if you look at these obstacles as a containing fence, they become your excuse for failure. If you look at them as a hurdle, each one strengthens you for the next.”

IT MADE ME REALIZE THAT A HERO LIES IN ME!!!!

I just got "Think BiG" Can't wait to start reading.

Just Get either of the two books, i'm so confident you would testify as i have.

Here is a summary of GIFTED HANDS
In 1987, Dr. Benjamin Carson gained worldwide recognition for his part in the first successful separation of Siamese twins joined at the back of the head. The extremely complex and delicate operation, five months in the planning and twenty-two hours in the execution, involved a surgical plan that Carson helped initiate. Carson pioneered again in a rare procedure known as hemispherectomy, giving children without hope a second chance at life through a daring operation in which he literally removed one half of their brain. But such breakthroughs aren’t unusual for Ben Carson. He’s been beating the odds since he was a child. Raised in inner-city Detroit by a mother with a third grade education, Ben lacked motivation. He had terrible grades. And a pathological temper threatened to put him in jail. But Sonya Carson convinced her son that he could make something of his life, even though everything around him said otherwise. Trust in God, a relentless belief in his own capabilities, and sheer determination catapulted Ben from failing grades to the top of his class — and beyond to a Yale scholarship . . . the University of Michigan Medical School . . . and finally, at age 33, the directorship of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. Today, Dr. Ben Carson holds twenty honorary doctorates and is the possessor of a long string of honors and awards, including the Horatio Alger Award, induction into the 'Great Blacks in Wax' Museum in Baltimore, Maryland, and an invitation as Keynote Speaker at the 1997 President’s National Prayer Breakfast. Gifted Hands is the riveting story of one man’s secret for success, tested against daunting odds and driven by an incredible mindset that dares to take risks. This inspiring autobiography takes you into the operating room to witness surgeries that made headlines around the world — and into the private mind of a compassionate, God-fearing physician who lives to help others. Through it all shines a humility, quick wit, and down-to-earth style that make this book one you won’t easily forget.

1 Like

Re: How Has Ben Carson's Book Inspired You? by ikee(m): 5:59pm On Jun 29, 2012
yemstok: GIFTED HANDS inspired me a lot.It made me realize how I can be as great,even greater than the so called Geniuses regardless the colour of your skin.
Also, it taught me that "Impossibility is nothing, no obstacle can stop me from being what i wanna be."

“Success is determined not by whether or not you face obstacles, but by your reaction to them. And if you look at these obstacles as a containing fence, they become your excuse for failure. If you look at them as a hurdle, each one strengthens you for the next.”

In 1987, Dr. Benjamin Carson gained worldwide recognition for his part in the first successful separation of Siamese twins joined at the back of the head. The extremely complex and delicate operation, five months in the planning and twenty-two hours in the execution, involved a surgical plan that Carson helped initiate. Carson pioneered again in a rare procedure known as hemispherectomy, giving children without hope a second chance at life through a daring operation in which he literally removed one half of their brain. But such breakthroughs aren’t unusual for Ben Carson. He’s been beating the odds since he was a child. Raised in inner-city Detroit by a mother with a third grade education, Ben lacked motivation. He had terrible grades. And a pathological temper threatened to put him in jail. But Sonya Carson convinced her son that he could make something of his life, even though everything around him said otherwise. Trust in God, a relentless belief in his own capabilities, and sheer determination catapulted Ben from failing grades to the top of his class — and beyond to a Yale scholarship . . . the University of Michigan Medical School . . . and finally, at age 33, the directorship of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. Today, Dr. Ben Carson holds twenty honorary doctorates and is the possessor of a long string of honors and awards, including the Horatio Alger Award, induction into the 'Great Blacks in Wax' Museum in Baltimore, Maryland, and an invitation as Keynote Speaker at the 1997 President’s National Prayer Breakfast. Gifted Hands is the riveting story of one man’s secret for success, tested against daunting odds and driven by an incredible mindset that dares to take risks. This inspiring autobiography takes you into the operating room to witness surgeries that made headlines around the world — and into the private mind of a compassionate, God-fearing physician who lives to help others. Through it all shines a humility, quick wit, and down-to-earth style that make this book one you won’t easily forget.
Thanks for sharing, pal.

1 Like

Re: How Has Ben Carson's Book Inspired You? by biggboy(m): 6:00pm On Jun 29, 2012
THINK BIG BY BEN CARSON inspired me alot and also the book made me realise how usefull i am. The book made me rise from zero level to hero level. PLS GET A COPY.
Re: How Has Ben Carson's Book Inspired You? by Kslib(m): 7:25pm On Jun 29, 2012
biggboy: THINK BIG BY BEN CARSON inspired me alot and also the book made me realise how usefull i am. The book made me rise from zero level to hero level. PLS GET A COPY.
Thanks fo your contribution!!! I definately will get a copy.
Re: How Has Ben Carson's Book Inspired You? by Kslib(m): 7:26pm On Jun 29, 2012
yemstok: GIFTED HANDS inspired me a lot.It made me realize how I can be as great,even greater than the so called Geniuses regardless the colour of your skin.

Thanks man for this,GOD BLESS....
Re: How Has Ben Carson's Book Inspired You? by Emmakresh(m): 3:16am On Jun 30, 2012
@Kslib I've read think big, gifted hands and I want to get ' take the risk . Infant ben carson books are awesome becos I learnt a lot Frm it, finally, it's makes me to believe in myself n also gave me the inspiration to be great in life regardless of my field of Profession.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Lecturer Solves 156 Year Old Mathematical Problem / Shocking:- He Can't Smile,laugh Or Frown / Why Does Nigeria Currency Have An Arabic Symbol?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.