Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,297 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP (4481 Views)

Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims / IGP Says Police Is The Least Corrupt Of All Nigerian Institutions / 80 Percent Of Fuel Consumed In Benin Republic Smuggled From Nigeria Says IMF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by Ournaija: 12:17pm On Jun 29, 2012
Last week I heard the Acting IGP Mohammed Abubakar speaking to governor Udughan of Delta Stae that Nigerian Police is about 80 percent corrupt-free. He also said that his reform agenda entails a police force that will enforce the law of the land, a police force that will not harass and molest the citizens, and a corrupt-free force that will ensure that the peoples’ lives and properties are well protected.

My Experience
Last weekend, as I was driving to Maulag Unilag, I mistakenly drove into one-way at the First gate of the School due to traffic, a police man jumped out from nowhere and ordered me to take the other route which is the right way. I expected him to do the usual of asking for a bribe before freeing me but he didn`t. Could this be luck?

It seems like our Police Force has finally decided to change since the enforcement of "no road block" order. I agree with the IGP that 80 percent of the corruption going on in the police is on the road while the remaining 20 percent is at the station`s counter. Am beginning to have faith on the IGP and his men but I don`t wish to have any business with his men.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jun 29, 2012
Is 20% corruption an achievement?

Na wa for Nigeria !!
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jun 29, 2012
Lagos police are probably better than in many other states because of Fashola's good governance and investment.
Ournaija:
Last weekend, as I was driving to Maulag Unilag, I mistakenly drove into one-way at the First gate of the School due to traffic, a police man jumped out from nowhere and ordered me to take the other route which is the right way. I expected him to do the usual of asking for a bribe before freeing me but he didn`t. Could this be luck?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by ODB1: 12:38pm On Jun 29, 2012
LIAR
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by inspirenet: 12:47pm On Jun 29, 2012
cheesy

Interesting
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by eazyway: 12:48pm On Jun 29, 2012
shocked
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by edwindprof(m): 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2012
I'm very sure that one day ther re going to be a POSITIVE change in this country......... Its just a matter of time
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by mitobiju: 12:57pm On Jun 29, 2012
if i hear.
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by linkin8k(m): 12:58pm On Jun 29, 2012
GenBuhari: Is 20% corruption an achievement?

Na wa for Nigeria !!

In a country where corruption is the order of the day isn't reduction to 20% an achievement? Do you expect corruption in the police force to vanish magically like that? Even in foreign country there are always "bad cops"

Please criticise objectively
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by OYINBOGOJU(m): 1:03pm On Jun 29, 2012
Is Bail Free?

Let us start from there.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by Biggyd2: 1:04pm On Jun 29, 2012
Really?

Is it because they increased their salaries in line with the economic realities of today OR they have provided proper accommodation for them OR provide adequately for a spouse who loses his\her better half in the line of duty OR developed and educated them on what is expected of a 21st century police OR paid them their pension as at when due? Need I go on? Is the IGP equating the proposed change of their current uniforms to camouflage or\and the removal of road blocks to our police force being corruption free? One was even saying yesterday that they purchase their uniforms and fuel the vehicles they use for patrol from their private pockets. How does the IGP think they are going to survive? They are only a bit Quiet for now because they are busy hatching alternative plans on how to rip the poor citizenry off just like their employers in government! This of course is with due respect to the minute percentage of them who still have their integrity intact in the force.
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jun 29, 2012
Wat r u serz nija police nw or naija police in 50yrs when dey go dey answer NIGERIAN POLICE BANK PLC grin
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by OYINBOGOJU(m): 1:13pm On Jun 29, 2012
NIgerian Police

Patrol Team are the Marketers

Police Stations are the branch Office

D P O is the branch Manager

I G is the Managing Director with Head Office in Abuja

President is the Biggest Shareholder
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by Pakavy(m): 1:47pm On Jun 29, 2012
in as much as i admire mr abu,he shuld not blow his victory trumpet b4 d battle is ova,yestaday while driving wit my uncle 4rm potiskum 2 zaria along d kano zaria highway,we were suddenly stoped by a team of highway patrol men,tnks 2 d breaking system in d car i wul hav crushd 1 of d cops 2 death,they wanted 2 use dat as an avenue 2 extort us,on discovering my uncle was a snr army officer,they said oga shuld find dem somting 2 buy petrol cos they hav ran out of fuel,he gave dem N500,bliv me d way he pocket d money i knew he neva wanted d oda members of d team 2 find out,he now askd me 2 giv him d cand malt on near d arm rest,i kuku do lyk say i no hear am wind up engaged gear,just ahead i saw anoda cop wit about 6 bottles of bottlf water hijackd 4rm a crv suv.infact those guys were uniformd beggers
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by ebamma(m): 1:51pm On Jun 29, 2012
i hope dis inspector general no dey take weed.
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by Cupidkc(m): 1:54pm On Jun 29, 2012
Change is constant,It's either positive or negative.
80% corruption free na koret wash wash.
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by jmaine: 2:01pm On Jun 29, 2012
See formatics grin . . . .
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by sonyjacobs(m): 2:04pm On Jun 29, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Is Bail Free?

Let us start from there.
a friend of mine went to police station to lay a complain but she was ask to buy file #1500 before dey wil attend to her. She bought d file becos there was no option
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by Pennywise(m): 2:41pm On Jun 29, 2012
Will somebody please tell the IG that his opinion is a corrupt one.
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by stunna2(m): 2:51pm On Jun 29, 2012
GenBuhari: Lagos police are probably better than in many other states because of Fashola's good governance and investment.

No, it's not luck!! I flew back from Naija two days ago and while i was there, i went to Edegbe Motto Park in Benin to Pick up my visitor from Lagos this past Friday afternoon and other Cars would not let us make a turn to head back to town and the road had heavy construction activities on it!

...anyways, a Nigeria cop at the scene came to help us make our turn by stopping the traffic for us and some cash was handed over to the driver to give to the Police as a thank you...but when we got to him, he refused the offer without so much as a look at how much it was and just waved us to move it along and we where all stunned!!!

Unlike the last visit when i was stopped and threatened to be shot if i did not hand over more cash to cops and was advised to stay away from naija if i had no cash for cops...i did not have a single interaction with any cop this time except the good one i just related above!

even the unrepentant agents at the airport gave up easily begging for cash when i said no!!

i was n i'm still impressed
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by oluagness(m): 3:24pm On Jun 29, 2012
Lie, my uncle worked for a client and never new his client was a thief. My uncle was arrested and the thief said openly that my uncle new nothing about it. Could u believe that police demanded 70k for his bail?
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by chiteny(m): 3:34pm On Jun 29, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Is Bail Free?

Let us start from there.

Bail has always been free.
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by dammy1985: 3:42pm On Jun 29, 2012
These useless force won't stop decieving themself
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by Ournaija: 3:52pm On Jun 29, 2012
$tunna:

No, it's not luck!! I flew back from Naija two days ago and while i was there, i went to Edegbe Motto Park in Benin to Pick up my visitor from Lagos this past Friday afternoon and other Cars would not let us make a turn to head back to town and the road had heavy construction activities on it!

...anyways, a Nigeria cop at the scene came to help us make our turn by stopping the traffic for us and some cash was handed over to the driver to give to the Police as a thank you...but when we got to him, he refused the offer without so much as a look at how much it was and just waved us to move it along and we where all stunned!!!

Unlike the last visit when i was stopped and threatened to be shot if i did not hand over more cash to cops and was advised to stay away from naija if i had no cash for cops...i did not have a single interaction with any cop this time except the good one i just related above!

even the unrepentant agents at the airport gave up easily begging for cash when i said no!!

i was n i'm still impressed

This story is like the one a colleague of mine narrated to us in the office, how a police woman caught them taking one-way. They offered her =N=500.00 she rejected and insisted that they take the right way, she even threatened to take them to station if they refuse to do the right thing.

Honestly, policemen on the field especially the ones in Lagos are trying to be what is expected of a police officer. We Nigerians no dey help matter, any small offence we don offer bribe because the thing dey blood and we see am as a way of life. We really need to help this guys with the current re-orientation they are going through. It`s not easy to change a habit that is in the blood stream.
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jun 29, 2012
I think any improvement is more a testament to Fashola's good governance in Lagos than anything the FG is doing.
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by dasparrow: 4:14pm On Jun 29, 2012
Ournaija: Last week I heard the Acting IGP Mohammed Abubakar speaking to governor Udughan of Delta Stae that Nigerian Police is about 80 percent corrupt-free. He also said that his reform agenda entails a police force that will enforce the law of the land, a police force that will not harass and molest the citizens, and a corrupt-free force that will ensure that the peoples’ lives and properties are well protected.

My Experience

It seems like our Police Force has finally decided to change since the enforcement of "no road block" order. I agree with the IGP that 80 percent of the corruption going on in the police is on the road while the remaining 20 percent is at the station`s counter. Am beginning to have faith on the IGP and his men but I don`t wish to have any business with his men.

I don't believe the IGP.
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by barinnbomi: 4:22pm On Jun 29, 2012
wishful thinking......one instance not enough.however your experience is a gud step in the right direction.
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by nwanze2: 5:13pm On Jun 29, 2012
No matter hw u train a goat,it can neva stop eating grass. D type of police we have is just d reflection of our corrupt society.
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by omenka(m): 5:33pm On Jun 29, 2012
This guy wastes talent in an unimaginable way. He should be a standup comedian! Lwkmd!
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by kokoA(m): 5:44pm On Jun 29, 2012
grin Haba Mr.IGP, you are too old to be on crak naww grin
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by Ournaija: 5:52pm On Jun 29, 2012
nwanze2: No matter hw u train a goat,it can neva stop eating grass. D type of police we have is just d reflection of our corrupt society.

Does that means that the situation is unredeemable?
Re: Nigerian Police Is Now 80 Percent Corrupt-Free-IGP by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jun 29, 2012
Ournaija:

This story is like the one a colleague of mine narrated to us in the office, how a police woman caught them taking one-way. They offered her =N=500.00 she rejected and insisted that they take the right way, she even threatened to take them to station if they refuse to do the right thing.

Honestly, policemen on the field especially the ones in Lagos are trying to be what is expected of a police officer. We Nigerians no dey help matter, any small offence we don offer bribe because the thing dey blood and we see am as a way of life. We really need to help this guys with the current re-orientation they are going through. It`s not easy to change a habit that is in the blood stream.
Well not all police are corrupt, there are many of them that uphold their intergrity. Am beginning to be happy with this reports smiley smiley smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News .gunmen Block Okene Road / Okorocha Wades Into Ohanaeze Crisis / Igbos and African Americans team up to build a brand New City in Anambra state

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.