Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,004 members, 7,821,521 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (131) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1785807 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 9:29pm On Aug 22, 2013
HappyJoe:

Enugu's catchment area is likely to be: Nnewi, Onitsha, Awka, Owerri, Makurdi, some of Aba's traffic & some of Benin's traffic.

I agree that Nigerians resident in Bamenda will prefer to fly through Enugu, but how many of them are there & what is their relative economic power?

It is not just about having an international airport; what about the supporting infrastructure? Enugu is nearer to Lagos than Benin, but are the roads good? (Enugu/Onitsha expressway is in terrible shape). What about embassies/consulates? No European nation or US or Canada is going to open a consulate in Enugu in the next 5 - 10 years.

So people will still have to travel all the way to Lagos or Abuja for their visas before they travel out through Enugu. If that is the case, why would they not simply fly out from Abuja or Lagos? (Would a person from Benin with no family connections in Lagos stress himself to get a visa at either Lagos or Abuja & then fly out via Enugu?).

You begin to appreciate issues around traveling to Enugu when you realise that people need transit visas for specific flights & you can't get transit visas unless there's an embassy in the town. (I.e. if I was flying via KLM from Enugu to London, I'd need a transit visa from the Dutch Embassy, which I could only get from the nearest Dutch Embassy - Lagos or Abuja).

For travel to Dubai, China, Taiwan, Thailand & Japan I expect prompt response from these nations as they know a sizable portion of Nigerian travelers could set off from Enugu. I.e. it will be relatively easier to convince the Chinese to set up a consular office or have some sort of visa arrangement at Enugu.

If you've been following US diplomatic dispatches or the statements of their Secretaries of State, you'd immediately understand that they have very little interest in establishing diplomatic presence in South Eastern Nigeria. Hillary Clinton & her successor are much more interested in establishing a consulate at Kano - US has zero interest in Enugu.

Let's be serious here; the Niger Delta is much more strategically important to the UK or the US (base of Shell & Chevron) but neither the US nor the UK has a consular office in Port Harcourt. If they have no plans for a consulate in Port Harcourt, what makes you think they'll even have minor interest in Enugu.

At the end of the day, Enugu airport will be a major airport for trips to the Far East. It is unlikely to ever be a major hub for Western airlines.

Finally, since the Federal Government has no interest in fixing the Onitsha - Enugu expressway, the Anambra & Enugu state governments should do something about it.

Buahahahaha....grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Bad belle wan kill some people !
They want to be US,Canada,Europe and Far east at the same time to determine who uses or doesn't use Enugu.But they are simply dirty yoruba, who will use the airport over their dead body anyway grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
But will quickly "ADVISE" Igbo of every reason why they should use Lagos, no matter the inconvenience of doing so grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

BTW, @ the bolded, Why couldn't the tribalist Fashola Fix the Lagos -Ibadan Expressway? Why is he waiting for GEJ to do everything and spend a whopping N170 Billion Naira derived from elsewhere in Nigeria,after which Fashola will then look for "destitutes" he will deny them from using the road and then deport them to go and use dirt roads located in other parts of Nigeria.As if the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway he didn't build belongs to him.
Shameless folks grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy wink wink
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ujoinme: 9:46pm On Aug 22, 2013
Happy joe @
When you get to the bridge you will cross it. Let enugu focus on getting people to fill the ethiopian airlines on each flight.once the route shows its potentials then all other things like consulate, highways/freeways and railways etc will be added unto it. dont put the cart before the horse. I strongly believe that our igbo brothers being major travellers will make this airport thrive.

When this happens then everything else will follow, you are talking about western interest in the SE, this may just be it! If the level of traffic here is high enough to turn a profit then anything is possible. business both govt. and private follow profit.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kairoseki77: 9:50pm On Aug 22, 2013
cjrane:

They want to be US,Canada,Europe and Far east at the same time to determine who uses or doesn't use Enugu.But they are simply dirty yoruba, who will use the airport over their dead body anyway grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
But will quickly "ADVISE" Igbo of every reason why they should use Lagos, no matter the inconvenience of doing so grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

BTW, @ the bolded, Why couldn't the tribalist Fashola Fix the Lagos -Ibadan Expressway? Why is he waiting for GEJ to do everything and spend a whopping N170 Billion Naira derived from elsewhere in Nigeria,after which Fashola will then look for "destitutes" he will deny them from using the road and then deport them to go and use dirt roads located in other parts of Nigeria.As if the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway he didn't build belongs to him.
Shameless folks grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy wink wink

Igbos have an international airport for a whole week and are already chest beating that they dominate the aviation industry. SMH.

Inferiority complex is strong in this one. grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ujoinme: 9:57pm On Aug 22, 2013
So excited about what's going on in the aviation industry in nigeria today lots of reforms and now we are about to witness the take off the 1st international airport in the SE.

I pray thats its a success and i hope to see more international flights from other airports around the country a country of 160 million strong people deserves this.
congrats to enugu and the SE people.

GEJ's performing hope he builds the 2nd niger bridge as promised.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 10:19pm On Aug 22, 2013
cjrane:

I am proudly Igbo & I am one of the most enthusiastic cheerleaders for the airport. I also posted pictures of the construction site for the new terminal building.

I was just presenting a logical, well argued analysis of the prospects for the airport. The distance from Enugu to Onitsha is not too far & Governor Chime has already done a lot of work on the old road. What I was suggesting was for the affected governors to see whether they can patch portions of the Enugu-Onitsha expressway in order to facilitate use of the airport.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 10:31pm On Aug 22, 2013
HappyJoe:

I am proudly Igbo & I am one of the most enthusiastic cheerleaders for the airport. I also posted pictures of the construction site for the new terminal building.

I was just presenting a logical, well argued analysis of the prospects for the airport. The distance from Enugu to Onitsha is not too far & Governor Chime has already done a lot of work on the old road. What I was suggesting was for the affected governors to see whether they can patch portions of the Enugu-Onitsha expressway in order to facilitate use of the airport.

Kpele oh, some people always arrogate knowledge and the "RIGHT" to advise Igbos to themselves.By the way, I am Igbira grin and i was just stating a fact about Fashola converting Federal institutions built for the use of every Nigerian alive or shall be born even in 100 years, and preventing,humiliating and deporting a select group of Nigerians from Nigeria to make sure they don't benefit from it!
He also would not fix a major road as the Lagos -Ibadan expressway, waiting for the one he calls "retardeen" to dish out a whopping N170 Billion Naira derived from "Outside Lagos" to do it! Have i stated anything that isn't a fact here?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by henrychubayo: 12:27pm On Aug 23, 2013
It will be bad if no one of us capture the sights and seens of the arrival and departure of these Ethiopia airline. There is great anticipation and our people are curious to know how it all went. Guys in coal city, plz don't disappoint us.

I tried again to know how things are going but I saw that our ppl has not disappointed. They are booking and booking cause I saw some seats has been taken. One interesting thing is that in any part of the world u want to go and arrive from, this Ethiopia will take u there or bring u home. Its so encouraging to me. So I wish to state that I will not step a foot in Lagos as far as Ethiopia or any other airline flies to Enugu international airport. Let the celebrations begin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by mekaboy(m): 2:07pm On Aug 23, 2013
henrychubayo: It will be bad if no one of us capture the sights and seens of the arrival and departure of these Ethiopia airline. There is great anticipation and our people are curious to know how it all went. Guys in coal city, plz don't disappoint us.

I tried again to know how things are going but I saw that our ppl has not disappointed. They are booking and booking cause I saw some seats has been taken. One interesting thing is that in any part of the world u want to go and arrive from, this Ethiopia will take u there or bring u home. Its so encouraging to me. So I wish to state that I will not step a foot in Lagos as far as Ethiopia or any other airline flies to Enugu international airport. Let the celebrations begin

No need to trivialize things or sound like lagos or lagosians r ur enemies. Jst say as long as enugu airport is convenient for you, you won't need to go to lagos.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by henrychubayo: 2:51pm On Aug 23, 2013
mekaboy:

No need to trivialize things or sound like lagos or lagosians r ur enemies. Jst say as long as enugu airport is convenient for you, you won't need to go to lagos.

Hahahaha. You are right. But answer me, what can you say of someone who withhold your right just because he is benefiting from you. OBJ should have done this airport when he stayed 8 years in office. i guess he saw bad business for Lagos. I don't have anything against Lagos cause i do use it but i don't like the seems and i guess it happens that way cause we centralized everything there thus making too much money for one state. Anyway, we need other regions to develop as well not only one place.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 23, 2013
For those making the argument about need for Embassies in Enugu.

A lot of the Visa are not actually processed in Lagos. Rather the collection and filling office is in Lagos. The Visa Application is taken from Lagos to Abuja by the appointed Contractor VFS Global. Then returned to Lagos after processing. this Applies to UK, and most European Visa.

What We need is to either convince VFS which is an international company to open office in Enugu else we form a similar company and lobby the various embassies to provide same services for them at Enugu.
This is not hard to-do if the state government, especially that of Enugu State is focused on it.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 23, 2013
^^
Spot on, Kengali. Even if it's only 'skeletal' visa services that the foreign embassies can offer in Enugu, that would be acceptable by me

Meanwhile, as the new national carrier is set to be launched on October 1 this year, I hope that they follow Ethiopian airlines lead and connect Enugu directly with some Asian cities and/or Dubai. Also, seasonal flights to the US and the UK could also be on the cards.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ubomez2yahooc: 4:05pm On Aug 23, 2013
Well said.Thankyou for enlightening nairalanders on this issue. Embassies are not necessary in Enugu and besides it is a decision to be made between foreign govts and the federal govt of Nigeria. We must have patience. Cheers
KenGali: For those making the argument about need for Embassies in Enugu.

A lot of the Visa are not actually processed in Lagos. Rather the collection and filling office is in Lagos. The Visa Application is taken from Lagos to Abuja by the appointed Contractor VFS Global. Then returned to Lagos after processing. this Applies to UK, and most European Visa.

What We need is to either convince VFS which is an international company to open office in Enugu else we form a similar company and lobby the various embassies to provide same services for them at Enugu.
This is not hard to-do if the state government, especially that of Enugu State is focused on it.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 4:50pm On Aug 23, 2013
KenGali: For those making the argument about need for Embassies in Enugu.

I don't agree with that.

If that were the case, why isn't visa processing down in towns without consulates? Why is it only limited to Lagos and Abuja? Why doesn't VFS do visa processing in either Kano or Port Harcourt (which have had international airports for long)?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 4:58pm On Aug 23, 2013
Please note: embassies and consulates aren't established mainly to facilitate business & travel between countries. Their primary aim is to protect the lives and properties of foreign nationals & protect national interests.

If we must be frank, very few American or British citizens live at Enugu & both nations have limited economic interests in the South East. The presence of an international airport is not simply enough for them to open a consular office.

So the unfortunate truth is that you aren't likely to see either American or British consular presence in Enugu for at least the next 10 years.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 23, 2013
HappyJoe:

I don't agree with that.

If that were the case, why isn't visa processing down in towns without consulates? Why is it only limited to Lagos and Abuja? Why doesn't VFS do visa processing in either Kano or Port Harcourt (which have had international airports for long)?
These foreign embassies know that Nigerians are amongst their biggest source of cash, yet they still limit themselves to just 3 cities, which is somewhat unfair. Having a presence in the old Eastern region won't be a bad idea, as no one can convince me that Kano is safer then anywhere in the SS/SE.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:07pm On Aug 23, 2013
@ Happyjoe: If they can't set up even a mini-consulate, then they have to accept visa applications by mail. The interview should only be done to people who haven't travelled to the country in question.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 5:09pm On Aug 23, 2013
CFCfan:
These foreign embassies know that Nigerians are amongst their biggest source of cash, yet they still limit themselves to just 3 cities, which is somewhat unfair. Having a presence in the old Eastern region won't be a bad idea, as no one can convince me that Kano is safer then anywhere in the SS/SE.
The US embassy being in Kano is purely politics. All that will change very soon.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 23, 2013
HappyJoe:

I don't agree with that.

My friend do not disagree with what you do not know. I am talking about a process I passed have passed through.
There is absolutely no need for a consular office in Enugu, we only need a courier company that is trusted by must embassies. The most widely known is VFS Global.

In case you do not know, many embassies only maintain an office in Lagos because they moved from there. There is only one Ambassador, hence one embassy office, others are Laison offices. All embassies are located in AbuJa by directives of then Nigerian Military Govts. The only embassies in Lagos are those of poor countries like Cameroon. Everyother one is a Laison office.

The beautiful thing about VFS Global which I know most people who read my post did not grasp is that they handle Visa processing for many Countries, hence we only need one VFS Global Office in Enugu.
In Nigeria, VFS Global is the trusted partner to the diplomatic missions of 10 governments, i.e. Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Ireland, Italy, Spain, South Africa, the United Kingdom and the United States of America (as a sub-contractor to Stanley Associates Inc. – the prime contractor for US Government operations).
I do not want to repeat the whole Vanguard article below. If you are close to Enugu State Govt., let them know this. They should approach VFS and provide them accommodation.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/vfs-not-responsible-for-verification-of-documents-authenticity-vijayakumar/#sthash.QYRjvBtt.dpuf

For countries like China, Singapore, Japan we can establish a local version of VFS and lobby to service these countries from Enugu, but it requires a lot of trust. If we can put the likes of Emeka Anayaoku forward as our face we can have that trust, the challenge is not abusing it.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 23, 2013
^^
Ok. Then, Governor Chime should lobby VFS to set up shop in Enugu.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 7:02pm On Aug 23, 2013
CFCfan:

Not exactly correct, the oil industry is their biggest source of cash in Nigeria - by far, and even at that, they don't have a consular office in Port Harcourt.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IgboDelta: 7:23pm On Aug 23, 2013
What we expect as Enugu airport goes international tomorrow – Nigeriana
Our Reporter August 23, 2013 5 Comments »
What we expect as Enugu airport goes international tomorrow – Nigerians

From PETRUS OBI, Enugu

All is set for the official take-off of international flight at the newly upgraded Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, tomorrow, as Ethiopian Airline commences international commercial flights.

Towards this, the arrival and departure halls are ready, just as the screening checkpoint for the international wing of the airport.

All security agencies, such as customs, immigrations, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) as well as the State Security Service (SSS) are all on ground for the formal take off of international flight operations at the airport.

Meanwhile, a cross-section of Nigerians, who spoke to our reporter in Enugu, has expressed gratitude to President Goodluck Jonathan for ensuring that the dream of the people of the South-east to have an international airport came to reality. Some also feels the president needs to do more for the people.

Obinna, who works in the College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, said the take-off of international operations means a lot to our economy of the zone. “It means that our economy will boom. It will also save us the time and resources expended in going to Lagos and Abuja before one could travel abroad. I think it’s fantastic. I feel happy and I must say it is a welcome development.”

For Chief Dilim Okafor, chairman, Tracy Hotels Ltd, Awka, Anambra State, a frequent user of the Akanu Ibiam Airport, the commencement of international operations at the airport means a lot. “For the first time, we have access to the outside world. But we still expect bigger airlines. I understand it’s an Ethiopian airlines coming on Saturday. We expect airlines, like Emirates and others, because I am a regular traveler. I travel to Dubai, India, China, all through Emirates; not only me but also most of the Igbo traders; so the Federal Government should negotiate with Emirates, so they can come to Enugu too. It’s a big relief and that’s why everybody is hailing Mr. President for this effort, because there was a deliberate attempt to lock us up, but he decided to liberate us and we are happy.”

Beyond the airport, however, Chief Okafor said the South East also needs better roads. This, according to him, is “because if cargo flights land here, the goods have to be transported to Onitsha, Aba or anywhere. Through which road would this be? So road is another thing that must accompany this laudable effort of President Jonathan to Igbo.”

Evangelist Elliot Uko, President, Igbo Youth Movement, also commended President Jonathan for the airport. “We are excited about that, but we plead for the acceleration of work on other promises, like, functional seaport at Onitsha and Oguta. The keyword here is “functional.” Enugu will experience a new economic life with the international wing taking off. We are grateful to President Jonathan for fulfilling this one. We plead that he and his team accelerates on the other promises. We are grateful for that. We appreciate the positive impact the international airport will have on the economy of the South East. It is important to note that when we plead that campaign promises be fulfilled we are not by any means suggesting that the FG should address South East issues at the expense of other zones.”

An elder statesman, Chief Enechi Onyia (SAN,) has a different view. He said: “As far as I am concerned, this airport is not up to standard. I led a delegation to Obasanjo about this airport 10 years ago, and this is not what we asked for. I am disappointed.”

Asked if he was encouraged that at least something has been done, Chief Onyia said: “I am not interested on something being done. I will be interested that a good thing has been done. Once a good thing has been done, then I am interested. But if you deceive people telling them you are building airport and it is not what is expected, what do you want me to do? I am urging government to do its duty; that’s all. They have a duty; don’t beg them. They think these are amenities you beg for; that if they bring it to Enugu it is for Enugu people, it’s not true.

“The president of Nigeria is the president for the whole Nigeria; every Nigerian must be properly cared for. But Nigerians will always jubilate when such things are done. Thank God he has remembered us, they will say. The truth is that he should be remembering you every day. That is the authority you gave him. I believe in functional politics and functional administration.

“First of all, any political party that wants to govern a country must have a policy, a programme and they have to implement their programme. What is the programme? How are they implementing it? The truth is that we are deceiving ourselves, but history will record everything. We need to pursue a just cause; make sure that amenities are available for the citizenry.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/business/what-we-expect-as-enugu-airport-goes-international-tomorrow-igbos/

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by mekaboy(m): 10:01pm On Aug 23, 2013
HappyJoe: Please note: embassies and consulates aren't established mainly to facilitate business & travel between countries. Their primary aim is to protect the lives and properties of foreign nationals & protect national interests.

If we must be frank, very few American or British citizens live at Enugu & both nations have limited economic interests in the South East. The presence of an international airport is not simply enough for them to open a consular office.

So the unfortunate truth is that you aren't likely to see either American or British consular presence in Enugu for at least the next 10 years.

You are right, but don't forget the power of oyel. There is oyel in enugu and anambra, they will come.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 23, 2013
mekaboy:

You are right, but don't forget the power of oyel. There is oyel in enugu and anambra, they will come.
But oil has been explored in he Niger-Delta for ages...
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ARROBA(m): 4:46am On Aug 24, 2013
Track the Ethiopian Enugu flight here:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ETH931

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 6:57am On Aug 24, 2013
I've tried to explain to everyone that even though Enugu Airport will be viable, there will be no visa or consular presence from the UK, US or any Western nation for at least 10 years.

Thus, it will be a major point for travel to the Far East, but not the West.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by henrychubayo: 8:28am On Aug 24, 2013
Plz our coal city brothers, keep the cameras and videos rolling today at the airport. DO NOT DISAPPOINT US. We are waiting with great anticipation and eagerness. Do not rely on the cameras of the media. Use yours and get as many as possible. Today is the D day. In fact, by 12pm, activities in the airport will be interesting to see. So capture all the captivating sights and seens. We rejoice with u our brothers in coal city and east as a whole

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 9:19am On Aug 24, 2013
Another factor that could impact on the Enugu Airport is the absence of night landing facilities.

Given the sluggish nature of the Federal Government, I don't expect night landing facilities at that airport for the next five years.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 10:34am On Aug 24, 2013
I just need to add that the runway length at Enugu is only 3,000m and bigger planes like the Boeing 747 or Boeing 777 will require a bit more than that length.

Consequently, Ethiopian airlines is using a Boeing 737-800 on it's flights & I'm not sure other airlines like Emirates would want to use planes as small as that.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by mekaboy(m): 10:43am On Aug 24, 2013
HappyJoe: I just need to add that the runway length at Enugu is only 3,000m and bigger planes like the Boeing 747 or Boeing 777 will require a bit more than that length.

Consequently, Ethiopian airlines is using a Boeing 737-800 on it's flights & I'm not sure other airlines like Emirates would want to use planes as small as that.

It could be expanded, I am sure therE is enough land available for expansion.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 24, 2013
HappyJoe: Another factor that could impact on the Enugu Airport is the absence of night landing facilities.

Given the sluggish nature of the Federal Government, I don't expect night landing facilities at that airport for the next five years.

Nah, Stella will install the ILS soon, at least by the 1st quarter of next year.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ARROBA(m): 11:16am On Aug 24, 2013
The flight is currently in Cameroon Airspace. I am tracking the flight. 56 minutes more to Enugu.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ETH931

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 11:17am On Aug 24, 2013
CFCfan:
Nah, Stella will install the ILS soon, at least by the 1st quarter of next year.

Things don't happen that quickly in Nigeria. Remember it took a solid two years to expand the airport runway. So ILS won't be installed for at least the next two years.

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.