Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,086 members, 7,814,771 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (362) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1781731 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 1:59am On Apr 13, 2015
mensdept:
All these pics and yet hardly any world class structures after how many years?

That airport? How long does it take to upgrade an airport to full international status? A decade?

^^^In Nigeria, with all the politicking, badbelle-tribalism, corruption, red tape, irregular funding and all what not.....with all this, i think you're even being optimistic by estimating 'a decade'! I'd make it two! lipsrsealed

Just watch and see how this project slows down and finally becomes abandoned with the new gov't coming in! If the in-coming aviation minister is from one of two places then expect the project -even if they somehow manage to finish it- to be beset by all manner of problems with zero commitment from Abuja, unlike what we saw when Princess Stella was minister! I have zero faith also in our useless political elite and soon to be named ministers from the South East as they've always been know to be incapable of fighting our corner at the center....even when our interests are threatened!

In an emerging city like Enugu, a project such as this needs to be nurtured and supported, but it will just be left on its own -if some people have their way- and they'll tell you airlines just refused to use it, and that you should use other airports like Lagos or Port Harcourt instead!

The scenario i've painted may well not happen as i've said, but i'm not holding my breath on that one; i'm talking based on experience and the characters involved in the drama!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 2:16am On Apr 13, 2015
spyder880:

Very happy, as long as he will continue the works of Chime and work in Nkanu local government.

^^^While we jollificate over Enugu, please spare a thought for poor Abians! As we speak, they're still held in bondage by Orji and his brood of vipers!.....It would be a herculean task to forcefully prise his tight monkey fist -finger by finger- off Abia State and its resources!

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kcinho(m): 6:05am On Apr 13, 2015
write2obi:

Yea am from uzo-uwani , are you happy with the outcome of the enugu governorship election ?
I hope chuka utazi turns out to be a good choice.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Emperoh(m): 4:58pm On Apr 13, 2015
Spyder et al, I promised i was going to do this;. . . . .please read

I WAS born and I grew up in Enugu in the mid 80s. Life and living was calm and social infrastructures worked. Pipe-borne water, waste management services, constant power and well managed traffic with the use of traffic lights. I enjoyed government housing especially as provided by government institutions to their staff.

A city dominated mainly by public servants back then, Enugu offered a certain kind of serenity and orderliness befitting its status as the capital of the Eastern Region.

The city as we knew it back then was also well planned, demonstrating the handiwork of Europeans who settled in the city and helped plan it.

With a number of higher institutions of learning and very decent public primary and post primary schools, Enugu offered a very good level of quality education and life to lower and lower middle class homes. This made it a destination of choice for persons seeking urbanisation.

As population expanded and urbanisation continued, the city began to lose its serenity. Public infrastructure and social services suffered and things basically worsened. It did not seem like there were plans to anticipate the population growth. Coupled with the failing quality of governance and successive military regimes, Enugu capitulated just like many other cities in the country.

Enugu became chaotic with all manner of issues plaguing it: Poor road networks, housing deficit, crime, dwindling academic quality, chaotic traffic scenes; basically, dearth of social infrastructure. I would come into Enugu on visits and can’t believe how things have gotten out of control.

In a clime where planning is key, this should have been anticipated and properly planned for. However, government became overwhelmed at the speed with which this has happened.

A good administration will aim to strike a good balance between the rate of population growth, matched with the same level of infrastructural expansion and availability of social services. A lack of this balance is that residents after paying tax to the government are forced to provide most of these services for themselves, the same services for which they are taxed for.

It is in a bid to provide these services that government resorted outsourcing. In this instance some public/social services are given to private organisations to manage. On one side, to provide the needed social infrastructure expected of government to the citizens and on another hand, make profit for themselves providing these services.

This has shown to produce results; from housing to public power, water, waste management and even traffic. A good advantage of outsourcing is that it brings the needed level of efficiency and service delivery quality that one would expect in a competitive environment.

I was in Enugu recently; the weekend of February 19 for a normal visit. I had to run a few errands for my parents. I borrowed my sister’s car and set off. I have done all my rounds and was returning home about 3 p.m. I passed the traffic light in front of the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium at amber convinced that I did not run a red light.

Not up to 1 kilometre from the traffic light, two traffic marshals on bike blocked my path. One got into the car and accused me of running a red light.

We found a spot and parked. Argument ensued. I asked them to provide any evidence indicating I ran a red light. They insisted I must have my car impounded and booked. I was accused of a traffic offence I was convinced I did not commit, and in the same breath, will be punished.

I needed to find out what system punishes people without going through a competent legal arbitration? I was convinced I did not run a red light and there was no evidence to prove otherwise.

Eventually, one of the riders, calmer though, seeing they were not making any headway with me, pulled me aside and started begging me to ‘give them money for fuel.’

I probed further to find out why they were rude, uncivilised and full of lies? What I discovered next might shock some people, but for me, went ahead to confirm what I had always believed with regards to traffic management in Enugu and indeed most outsourced social services.

My ‘captor’ showed me a text message (an sms) indicating that they had a daily target to meet with regards to the number of cars they were to impound and bring back to the office, ‘to prove that they came to work…’ (Friday 20.02.2015)’, quoting the sms. He also said they had target in terms of cash to send back to the office. After much cajoling and begging for ‘fuel money’, I gave him N1000.

It felt like I have helped the ‘poor boy’ given the way he pleaded, but my heart couldn’t stop thinking that I may have enriched the pockets of a rogue politician who is being compensated for his allegiance to the government of the day.

That sms basically confirmed my belief that this was no civic responsibility to maintain traffic in the metropolis but to generate revenue for the government and, indeed, some private pockets. Their disposition as one would expect should have been corrective rather than ‘impound and fine’ which is the order of the day.

These people confuse motorists with conflicting signals to move and another telling you to stop. Confused, you will stop at the centre of the roundabout only for them to pounce on you and charge you with traffic violations.

Go to Nowas Junction in Trans Ekulu, Enugu, and see human barbarism in full glare. They have dislodged the police from that particular location just to fleece motorists.

Residents and motorists live in fear of these boys rather than a genuine intent to obey traffic regulations. Also, while you are making an effort to be civil and law abiding by observing the queue, some politician with police protection or even police van and the same set of traffic ‘rascals,’ break the regulation at will and get away with it. What then is the essence of this service if not to enrich someone?

If any Enugu State government official reads this and, indeed, any state government running this sort of system, please something needs to happen to bring sanity and order back on our roads.

Not only is this function sidelining the job of traffic police, who sits by and watches these boys do their work, and in some cases, acts as an accomplice to such an extortionist regime, it is very dangerous to recruit boys straight out of the motor park or wild streets with no adequate training and an understanding of the laws and their jurisdiction, and thrust them onto the roads to enforce traffic laws.

Anambra State started this way and marshals ended up physically embarrassing motorists over perceived traffic infractions. They called them ‘ndi mpiawa azu’. Thanks to the current governor who came in and is trying to sanitise the traffic management system.

Last Christmas, I came to Onitsha to pick some goods from a motor park on Iweka Road. I parked by the expressway while my elder brother crossed to the service lane into the park to pick the goods. After three minutes, a traffic marshal walks up to my car, and addressed me in the most gentle but stern mien, directing me to where to park.

Imagine the same scenario in Enugu? Someone would simply jump into your car and ask you to drive to their office. Of course, you know the rest.

I am also charging lawyers who live in Enugu. It will take only a court case and judgment to put a stop to this faceless traffic regime in Enugu. That was all it took for the Park and Pay regime in Abuja to be sent back to where it came from; the pit of hell. If not, what gives the traffic authorities the power to punish people without being convicted by a court of competent jurisdiction? I might lack a good understanding of the law, but something needs to be done about this.

We all understand the importance of orderliness in traffic control, but that is not the case. Some politicians have hijacked the process and turned it into a money-making venture.

Their objective is not traffic control, but traffic chaos and profit! This is one function the government cannot afford to outsource but should, rather, enhance the delivery capacity of the agency saddled to do it to ensure and assure efficiency.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/04/enugu-and-its-unruly-traffic-marshals/

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:49pm On Apr 13, 2015
@Emperoh
That's a good move against cruelty. But you started negative and ended negative about Enugu. No room to at least promote its beauty.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by mensdept: 11:53pm On Apr 13, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^In Nigeria, with all the politicking, badbelle-tribalism, corruption, red tape, irregular funding and all what not.....with all this, i think you're even being optimistic by estimating 'a decade'! I'd make it two! lipsrsealed
Just watch and see how this project slows down and finally becomes abandoned with the new gov't coming in! If the in-coming aviation minister is from one of two places then expect the project -even if they somehow manage to finish it- to be beset by all manner of problems with zero commitment from Abuja, unlike what we saw when Princess Stella was minister! I have zero faith also in our useless political elite and soon to be named ministers from the South East as they've always been know to be incapable of fighting our corner at the center....even when our interests are threatened!
In an emerging city like Enugu, a project such as this needs to be nurtured and supported, but it will just be left on its own -if some people have their way- and they'll tell you airlines just refused to use it, and that you should use other airports like Lagos or Port Harcourt instead!
The scenario i've painted may well not happen as i've said, but i'm not holding my breath on that one; i'm talking based on experience and the characters involved in the drama!

Well said. Its a pity I tell you, even with those SE governors and senators, empty vessels they are

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by frakdon(m): 2:13pm On Apr 15, 2015
spyder880:
I wish to be governor of Enugu state in the future, but I am not willing to divorce my wife grin. Of course its on record that all the 3 past past Governors of this state threw their wives out before they made the feat.

Jim divorced his wife, Onoh sent his wife packing (I think it was the Bianca-Ojukwu issue that caused that) and Sullivan was a divorcee before he went to the government house. He just remaried while on the seat.
bro what can I say, but dalu! Nd for the government house am coming there....
Yu better make up yur mind before I come, histories are meant to be broken
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:33pm On Apr 15, 2015
frakdon:
bro what can I say, but dalu! Nd for the government house am coming there....
Yu better make up yur mind before I come, histories are meant to be broken

Histories ar meant to be broken bro, I hope Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi is very married? grin grin grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 12:02pm On Apr 16, 2015
Does anyone have any information why this diagnostic centre in Enugu was not completed by the outgoing administration of Sullivan Chime? http://amazingviewpoints..com/?m=1

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 4:23pm On Apr 16, 2015
I went to see another estate opening up in Enugu soon, this estate was built by former Governor Chimaroke Nnamani around Ebeano tunnel area. More pictures coming later.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:03pm On Apr 16, 2015
spyder880:
I went to see another estate opening up in Enugu soon, this estate was built by former Governor Chimaroke Nnamani around Ebeano tunnel area. More pictures coming later.
I like the decision of the current administration to replan that area. Why chimaroke scattered houses in that area without proper layout is what am yet to understand. The whole the land around that ebeano tunnel will be fully developed in 2 years time. I just hope state Govt can take over those railway lands wasting there. The Nigeria railway cooperation land extends towards ogui road, making those areas archaic and unappealing.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:59pm On Apr 16, 2015
Pls this incoming governor must not fail to complete this signature and landmark project, I wonder why Chime abandoned it for 8years.

Pls let's push it on his table as soon as posible

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 1:12am On Apr 17, 2015
BuddahMonk:
Pls this incoming governor must not fail to complete this signature and landmark project, I wonder why Chime abandoned it for 8years.

very lovely design. There's no better time to complete this project than now, that roads are better. Just behind this international conference centre is presidential hotel still wasting, revenues being lost.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:49am On Apr 17, 2015
centje:
very lovely design. There's no better time to complete this project than now, that roads are better. Just behind this international conference centre is presidential hotel still wasting, revenues being lost.

I noticed a worrying trend, all the lands belonging to the government in Independence layout has been allocated/shared/grabbed by unknown persons. All the lands around the conference center, house of assembly, new IMT, Rangers training grounds etc are all gone. What is happening? I have inside gist that the matter is generation a lot of controversy between Sullivan and his state legislators in this last few days.
http://amazingviewpoints..com/2015/03/why-are-they-building-houses-inside-imt.html
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:09am On Apr 17, 2015
Ex Rangers players? We thank Peter Obi for the donation, what has Sullivan Chime done for Rangers?

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:29am On Apr 17, 2015
Obi love Rangers now, when he was the governor he placed some of the their past players on salary.
Its like Godwin Achebe was a Flying Antelope that is why he built a mini-stadium with his name in Inland Town.

spyder880:
Ex Rangers players? We thank Peter Obi for the donation, what has Sullivan Chime done for Rangers?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:52am On Apr 17, 2015
O'connor road, like you have never seen it before grin http://amazingviewpoints..com/?m=1

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:58am On Apr 17, 2015
More pictures later today, all views as amazing as ever. .....
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 9:03am On Apr 17, 2015
centje:
I like the decision of the current administration to replan that area. Why chimaroke scattered houses in that area without proper layout is what am yet to understand. The whole the land around that ebeano tunnel will be fully developed in 2 years time. I just hope state Govt can take over those railway lands wasting there. The Nigeria railway cooperation land extends towards ogui road, making those areas archaic and unappealing.

I am surprised that Sullivan is still building roads in this estate, even as he has days left in office. I know states where the government stopped all construction of projects since 2013. Pictures loading. .......

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:49am On Apr 17, 2015
Is Ikenga hotel up and running please? The hotel I mean is the not too far from CBN.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by colored(m): 12:43pm On Apr 17, 2015
BuddahMonk:

wow this would really generate revenues for the state. just think of the awards, conferences and other events that would be hosted there. it will replace Eko hotel as the best place for hosting events
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Apr 17, 2015
Only if Enugwu government will market, don't expect people to start using it when Calabar and Uyo are spending a lot marketing their tourism potentials.

Enugwu must finish those projects, enough is enough.

colored:
wow this would really generate revenues for the state. just think of the awards, conferences and other events that would be hosted there. it will replace Eko hotel as the best place for hosting events

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ckenneths(m): 6:45pm On Apr 17, 2015
O'connor road. ......

9 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ckenneths(m): 4:46am On Apr 18, 2015
Nike lake pictures.......
Fidelity estate pictures (built by Chimaroke Nnamani) http://amazingviewpoints..com/

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 8:10am On Apr 18, 2015
centje:
@Emperoh
That's a good move against cruelty. But you started negative and ended negative about Enugu. No room to at least promote its beauty.

I stopped reading his writeup immediatly i reached here:
Emperoh:
The city as we knew it back then was also well planned,
demonstrating the handiwork of Europeans who settled in the city and helped plan it.

People with low self-esteem dont impress me

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 10:04am On Apr 18, 2015
Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi should build more affordable houses like Loma Linda, for low income earners, not the ones they build and lock up for years because people cannot afford them, yet there is a shortage of decent houses in the city.

I want the next government to be less elitist. It should work more on reducing poverty and preventing capital flight by awarding contracts to local people. Employment creation should be top on the priority list if the government cares about the people.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 12:25pm On Apr 18, 2015
Let us go to my Alma mater.... cool

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 3:18pm On Apr 18, 2015
Nnewi1stSon:
Let us go to my Alma mater.... cool

Great lions and lionesses grin

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 4:37pm On Apr 18, 2015
spyder880:

Great lions and lionesses grin
Great!cool

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 4:47pm On Apr 18, 2015
BuddahMonk:

This worst part is that this 8 years delay had given poachers ample opportunity to encroach on the land for the Intl. Conference center and hotel from behind the edifice.

People are now building residential houses there on the land behind this edifice at break neck speed.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 6:22pm On Apr 18, 2015
spyder880:

I am surprised that Sullivan is still building roads in this estate, even as he has days left in office. I know states where the government stopped all construction of projects since 2013. Pictures loading. .......
Chime Administration did well in aggressively expanding the city.

I have been trying to compare Enugu and and Ph in terms of size, I can't seem to place it which one is bigger. I know Ph is has more population and dense, and PH is also economical more advanced than Enugu but in terms of city size, I am finding it difficult to place which is bigger. Initially I have a firm conclusion that PH is bigger but as I get to know PH layout better i tended to revisit that comparison. Before you conclude, you should know that a city becomes smaller in your head once you know every nook and cranny. Same way the world has become smaller through IT. Ph layout is totally different from that of Enugu.
Enugu tend to appear small because I know every part of it. The city is bigger now, if the current aggressive approach is maintained in centenary city, then Enugu-Ph highway will be completely engulfed before Ifeanyi finish his first tenure. Enugu-onitsha highway is already engulfed.

Spyder, you amaze me with the way you take pictures...am really curious about how you took that O'conor picture, was it by drone or helicopter or from stadium?

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 6:51pm On Apr 18, 2015
spyder880 I really like what you're doing with your blog. I don't comment but visit it from time to time.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.