Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,665 members, 7,813,231 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (436) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1781118 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (433) (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Antivirus92(m): 10:27pm On Oct 04, 2015
though I am not from Enugu but I am ready to die for the betterment of igboland.
this thread resembles my native anambra thread in serenity and also in suggestions to make east better.
I've seen ideas,suggestions,philosophies exchanged here... but one thing I will like to ask is...
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR THE EAST?
I want every one of us to answer this...

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by lacosanostra: 10:32pm On Oct 04, 2015
OreMI22:

As you know, i am not an nsukka person, so you must know iam giving you an unbiased opinion in this matter.
Developing Nsukka to become a top notch city in Enugu state should also be of utmost priority to the state.

The problem with most of us is that being in Nigeria where every effort is made to site everything in ONLY Abuja or Lagos, as if those were the beginning and end of Nigeria, we carry on the same regrettable mindset of siting everything ONLY in the state capital. Except in Delta state where they view Warri as the state capital.

Strategizing and developing Nsukka into a great green city should not take away the attention from Enugu city development. Just requires more government involvement in adequately planning the new Nsukka city, attracting industrialists to set up in the identified industrial layout of Nsukka is good for Enugu state.

Let us imbibe the American way of developing every city equally based on our resources. Someone living in Nsukka or Nnewi or Okigwe should have the same standard and quality of life as someone living in Enugu, Owerri or Onitsha. The horrible "one city mentality" must die in Igboland development.

Making all cities in Igboland habitable is the way to progress, not "one city state" phenomenon we inherited from the warped Nigerian mentality.

I very much agree sir

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:48pm On Oct 04, 2015
Antivirus92:
though I am not from Enugu but I am ready to die for the betterment of igboland.
this thread resembles my native anambra thread in serenity and also in suggestions to make east better.
I've seen ideas,suggestions,philosophies exchanged here... but one thing I will like to ask is...

Good question. Everyone who cannot count up to 3 things done so far should make his own efforts now.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:10pm On Oct 04, 2015
The point is that you're making it seem peculiar to Nsukka, that's why I listed other towns begging for government attention, the same way Nsukka people are.

lacosanostra:

Am saying that Nsukka people being clanish has nothing to do with their underdevelopment, they just think every good thing in Enugu shoul first come to them since they have the largest population, I think we should not take this further, we are all Igbos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:39am On Oct 05, 2015
Well to start with, 98% of my father's investments are in the East. Personally, I have prayed and fasted for the betterment of Ala Igbo as a whole. I am not able right now to say about any concrete thing I've done on my own for Igboland, but best believe that some great plans are in the works, by the special grace of God.

Antivirus92:

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Scholes007(m): 9:14am On Oct 05, 2015
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Scholes007(m): 9:14am On Oct 05, 2015
Antivirus92:
This is a very good question for all sons and daughters of the east...well on my own part i have done nothing tangible yet but will do what ever is in my power to make my fatherland better

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by MrEverest(m): 10:37am On Oct 05, 2015
Antivirus92:
so there is nothing we can do about it?
can't all those things be put in place in d east?
remember it adds much to d economy
Ofcourse something can be done about it, the commissioner of tourism, Enugu state can simply travel to Onitsha,Idumota & pound/park road Aba to liase with the union members. We should rather bother ourselves on why our rich folks are investing in Lagos/ogun region instead of the S.East. Diamond bank,Fidelity bank,UBA & Zenit bank are owned by Igbos yet non of them have their head office in Igboland unlike wema bank & bank of the north that have their offices in ibadan & kano respectively while maintaining corporate head offices in Lagos & Abuja. Do you know the impact a diamond bank or fidelity bank head office will have on the economy of Enugu?? The same goes for industries, that is were I see a big problem!

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by patrick89(m): 11:36am On Oct 05, 2015
abagoro:

Nollywood is presently an Owerri thing not Asaba as some have erroneously thought and the new permanent Nollywood city is already in the pipeline. Its a win win situation.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/nollywood-city-underway-in-imo/

The music industry on the other hand is divided. The pop or general music is a Lagos affair as it is a melting point of Nigeria but Igbos have genres that are strictly fir Igbos and they remain a Southeastern affair. These include but not limited to Egwu Ekpili, Bongo, Abigbo, Igbaeze, Highlife etc

What you are saying is true, but how do we promote all these genere of music in SE to mainstream? Like yoruba do to afrojuju?...

We dominate nollywood yet we have no media platform that will project these things, it is very annoying! We need media on terrestrial and satellite to tell our beautiful stories by ourselves, and also make money from it.
We can also use it to bargain for power. If we have vibrant media house, we can use it to make or mar any government, like fox, nbc etc.. we can do better than we're doing now.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 12:42pm On Oct 05, 2015
MrEverest:
Ofcourse something can be done about it, the commissioner of tourism, Enugu state can simply travel to Onitsha,Idumota & pound/park road Aba to liase with the union members. We should rather bother ourselves on why our rich folks are investing in Lagos/ogun region instead of the S.East. Diamond bank,Fidelity bank,UBA & Zenit bank are owned by Igbos yet non of them have their head office in Igboland unlike wema bank & bank of the north that have their offices in ibadan & kano respectively while maintaining corporate head offices in Lagos & Abuja. Do you know the impact a diamond bank or fidelity bank head office will have on the economy of Enugu?? The same goes for industries, that is were I see a big problem!

If you don't understand how the financial sector operates, please stop clogging the Internet with ignorance. Wema Bank and Bank of the North are not serious banks. Every serious bank has its HQ in Lagos - the same way US financial sector is largely New York based.

Having said that, anyone who says Pascal Dozie hasn't helped Ndigbo in Diamond Bank is talking nonsense. Out of the new generation banks, Diamond Bank has the most branches in Enugu - you can go ahead and do a survey. And having worked in Diamond Bank, I can tell you that Pascal prefers to employ Igbos, and he is NOT ashamed of it.

In many cases, the fault lies with state governors. A prominent Igbo oil and gas magnate wanted to establish an office in Awka, but he's constantly being frustrated by mid-level workers, and the governor is there, blowing his trumpet, doing nothing.

The shameful thing is that it is easier for an Igbo businessman to establish a factory in Lagos than in many Igbo states. That is when you hear "Enugu doesn't want to give land to Nnewi people to establish factories at Emene (a code word for Anambra people)". You also heard about how Ebonyi frustrated Ibeto for 8 solid years under Elechi, for what? (Ebonyi has more than 600 million tons of limestone, so you can establish as many cement factories there as you want).

We need to tell ourselves the truth.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Antivirus92(m): 12:53pm On Oct 05, 2015
HappyJoe:

If you don't understand how the financial sector operates, please stop clogging the Internet with ignorance. Wema Bank and Bank of the North are not serious banks. Every serious bank has its HQ in Lagos - the same way US financial sector is largely New York based.

Having said that, anyone who says Pascal Dozie hasn't helped Ndigbo in Diamond Bank is talking nonsense. Out of the new generation banks, Diamond Bank has the most branches in Enugu - you can go ahead and do a survey. And having worked in Diamond Bank, I can tell you that Pascal prefers to employ Igbos, and he is NOT ashamed of it.

In many cases, the fault lies with state governors. A prominent Igbo oil and gas magnate wanted to establish an office in Awka, but he's constantly being frustrated by mid-level workers, and the governor is there, blowing his trumpet, doing nothing.

The shameful thing is that it is easier for an Igbo businessman to establish a factory in Lagos than in many Igbo states. That is when you hear "Enugu doesn't want to give land to Nnewi people to establish factories at Emene (a code word for Anambra people)". You also heard about how Ebonyi frustrated Ibeto for 8 solid years under Elechi, for what? (Ebonyi has more than 600 million tons of limestone, so you can establish as many cement factories there as you want).

so what's ur point?
we've grown past dis nonsense u are talking n we dont need it here.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by abagoro(m): 1:06pm On Oct 05, 2015
patrick89:

What you are saying is true, but how do we promote all these genere of music in SE to mainstream? Like yoruba do to afrojuju?...

We dominate nollywood yet we have no media platform that will project these things, it is very annoying! We need media on terrestrial and satellite to tell our beautiful stories by ourselves, and also make money from it.
We can also use it to bargain for power. If we have vibrant media house, we can use it to make or mar any government, like fox, nbc etc.. we can do better than we're doing now.

These genre will always remain localised while crossover hits occur once in a while. Oliver's "Biri ka m'biri" was a crossover hit while recently we have "Arabanko" a crossover hit from Bongo genre.

I support you on the need for export like American country music or Jamaican Reggae. Maybe we should have a strictly highlife channel on satelite playing Oliver, Osadebe, Sir Warrior, Obewe, Morroco, Bright Chimezie, Kabaka, Mike Ejeagha, Peacocks, Sunny Bobo, Ali Chukwuma etc. Such channel will be my favorite and I'm sure diasporan Igbos will be glued to it.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 05, 2015
@ question...what I have done to develop Enugu/ South East?
I have to say....nothing I am ashamed to say
I would have said by doing my job well...
however I get paid a salary too....so does not count

I would like to do some sanitation and health related work, empowering the village poor, o bulugodu to help their farming..some entertainment work to bring our talents to the SE....and major lobbying for our express ways
Of course I do not know how to go about it...

But I am willing to join any person/persons who is doing any of the above
....It is pure volunteering, I expect no payment...actually I would love to be paid by politicians for these activities...so that these monies can be put right into the projects...getting ?fertilisers, drug supplies, street brooms and paying labourers, that water reservoir stuff talked about hereetc
I have some free-ish time on my hands currently
So I am willing to this for free....

however I have no clue what to do
Totally politically clueless...
...but I am willing to learn
(Now dreaming of learning from the many intelligent, passionate minds on here....to build a future the generations that will follow us...doing this without any ulterior/greedy motive....purely altruistic and for good smiley....nobody should tell me I am too idealistic....I can dream, cant I?)
I actually believe a lot of people would become interested in something like this....when they know the fire that burns in us to do good for our land
I am sorry for getting preachy
(shuts up and hides)

A big hindrance for me is giving up my anonymity
It bugs me, big time
Not that I am, like, known or important or the like, tongue cheesy
So I may just not do anything.....
(Sighs)

I will just continue getting all the resources I can in order to be really good at my job...that could count , too
Okay, bye

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 05, 2015
The difference between someone making an evidence based, progressive case for developing Nsukka and similar environs along with pushing Enugu development as high as we can go...and someone being partisan and divisive and shoving Nsukka down our collective throats just because we had an election in May is crystal clear lipsrsealed undecided
I simply cannot deal angry
...and by the way, Nsukka has real meaning for me
...(too tired to dreg up posts but jili ile guo eze onu biko)
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 8:39pm On Oct 05, 2015
Okorocha To Build School For IDPs In Adamawa - Channels Television www.channelstv.com/2015/10/05/okorocha-to-build-school-for-idps-in-adamawa/

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:50am On Oct 06, 2015
@milychocs, I have a few ideas to give you concerning the issue of environmental sanitation. Do you know you can turn it into a booming business while still contributing your own quota to achieving a clean and beautiful environment in Enugu. Just let me know if you are interested in receiving some helpful tips from moi and have your consultation fee ready too wink

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:53am On Oct 06, 2015
Biko unu eghena Agbogho Awusa onu. O ndi tunyelu ya vote ka ochiba Imo nke agba abuo, ka m ka na-aju ajuju.

Bishop42:
Okorocha To Build School For IDPs In Adamawa - Channels Television
www.channelstv.com/2015/10/05/okorocha-to-build-school-for-idps-in-adamawa/

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kcinho(m): 6:23am On Oct 06, 2015
lacosanostra:

Am saying that Nsukka people being clanish has nothing to do with their underdevelopment, they just think every good thing in Enugu shoul first come to them since they have the largest population, I think we should not take this further, we are all Igbos
Any evidence to back your claim? Cos even with okwesilieze nwodo as the first Secretary General of PDP and later Chairman they gave other zones the shot at Governorship and had to wait 16 years. Meanwhile none of the governors can boldly point at major projects executed in the zone for 16 years(each of them focused on their zone). So they have every right to develop theirs now that the ball is in their court. Actually every reasonable indigene knows the Nsukka town should be the next major city if we really want to develop Enugu.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by MrEverest(m): 8:42am On Oct 06, 2015
HappyJoe:

You are just haughty and full of hot air without substance. Nobody said that Pascal Dozie have not helped Igbos, he and other prominent Igbos have helped in one way or the other. What we were talking about before you jumped in with your emotional tantrums was ways through which the economy of the S.East could be enhanced, if you had taken your time to go through the thread, you would have seen different opinions from well meaning Igbos. Now you claimed to have worked in Diamond bank, yet you don't appear to have a grasp of how the sector works. For starters, don't you know that Diamond bank and the other Igbo banks can have their head office in Enugu while still maintaining a corporate head office in Lagos What you said about Pascal Dozie preference of Igbos is nonsense, UBA, Fidelity, Diamond etc have a high percentage of Igbo staff simply because the Chairmen and board of directors are dominated by Igbos the same way GT bank, wema bank etc are dominated by Yorubas, it is not a Pascal Dozie unique character, he is a thorough bred professional tongue tongue Dude bring up your own ideas and stop criticizing others from your high-horse without contributing meaningfully.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 06, 2015
@nwanlecha
Thank you, and I am interested
Your username is soo pretty and sassy(good sassy oo) cheesy

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 06, 2015
Stop talking about Ebonyi frustrating Ibeto, Nigercem is not owned by Ebonyi alone, Enugu,Anambra, IMo and Abia are all stake holders, besides Ibeto played wayo in acquiring nigercem by fronting one coy and later showed up to take over, on the issue of frustrating Igbo investor by Igbos iterm it as fallacy, if the so called oil mogul wants to set up his coy in Awka,what stops him from to meet the governor? Why dealing with middle level civil servants if he is a mogul as you stated ?
HappyJoe:

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by basilo101: 9:40am On Oct 06, 2015
centje:
The point is that you're making it seem peculiar to Nsukka, that's why I listed other towns begging for government attention, the same way Nsukka people are.

u ppl will jst equate one rural comunity wit a whole senatorial zone, na wa o
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by basilo101: 9:57am On Oct 06, 2015
milychocs:
The difference between someone making an evidence based, progressive case for developing Nsukka and similar environs along with pushing Enugu development as high as we can go...and someone being partisan and divisive and shoving Nsukka down our collective throats just because we had an election in May is crystal clear lipsrsealed undecided
I simply cannot deal angry
...and by the way, Nsukka has real meaning for me
...(too tired to dreg up posts but jili ile guo eze onu biko)
see dis one, wia were u wen chimaroke and sullivan held sway? U ppl said worst things b4 d election, u beta thread softly b4 kogi and benue situation will take effect in Enugu state.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 06, 2015
basilo101:

see dis one, wia were u wen chimaroke and sullivan held sway? U ppl said worst things b4 d election, u beta thread softly b4 kogi and benue situation will take effect in Enugu state.

cheesy
Deadd
E so zim na ndi a na agwa "see this one"
A banye gokwam politics o...lol

Meanwhile darling, I didn't even know or note who said what..I however now know you are in the B group of my post lipsrsealed
...basilo101 the basilo101!!! cheesy

Also...I am not here to quarrel...don't know how to...still maintain my stance though
Okay, ka o di
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by lacosanostra: 10:11am On Oct 06, 2015
Kcinho:

Any evidence to back your claim? Cos even with okwesilieze nwodo as the first Secretary General of PDP and later Chairman they gave other zones the shot at Governorship and had to wait 16 years. Meanwhile none of the governors can boldly point at major projects executed in the zone for 16 years(each of them focused on their zone). So they have every right to develop theirs now that the ball is in their court. Actually every reasonable indigene knows the Nsukka town should be the next major city if we really want to develop Enugu.

Like I said, I would not want to emphasize the things that divide us, I spend a lot of time in Nsukka now, so I know the general feeling, I agree Nsukka has not been properly developed. Am saying they can also be very clannish, and why should Nsukka be more developed than Nkanu, have Nsukka indigines done anything extra spectacular to deserve more government attention than the Ezeagu people, who is to say if not for UNN, Nsukka would even have the guts to be asking for more, but at end we are all citizens of one commonwealth. Peace
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by basilo101: 10:19am On Oct 06, 2015
Kcinho:

d way dey equate Nsukka to their villages is jst funny. Nsukka ppl also hve dia towns and village far frm Nsukka main town. Those govnors who criminally abandoned Nsukka town for their unviable rural towns are d ones guity of clanishness nt d one who want to correct d abnormality. D governor is neither frm nsukla town nor nsukka LGA, we all want priority attention on nsukka tow because of its status and noting else
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by coolzeal(m): 11:18am On Oct 06, 2015
lacosanostra:

Like I said, I would not want to emphasize the things that divide us, I spend a lot of time in Nsukka now, so I know the general feeling, I agree Nsukka has not been properly developed. Am saying they can also be very clannish, and why should Nsukka be more developed than Nkanu, have Nsukka indigines done anything extra spectacular to deserve more government attention than the Ezeagu people, who is to say if not for UNN, Nsukka would even have the guts to be asking for more, but at end we are all citizens of one commonwealth. Peace
Perhaps Nsukka should be given a state(Adada) so that ignorant people like yourself will stop spewing irrelevant bullcrap.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by lacosanostra: 11:45am On Oct 06, 2015
coolzeal:
Perhaps Nsukka should be given a state(Adada) so that ignorant people like yourself will stop spewing irrelevant bullcrap.

Keep your insults to your self, they are very much entitled to their own state.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by coolzeal(m): 12:05pm On Oct 06, 2015
lacosanostra:

Keep your insults to your self, they are very much entitled to their own state.
Criticism is allowed. They're only two major cities in Enugu state even in the colonial period thus, Enugu and Nsukka. Nsukka is also a major city in Igboland and at such the level of development in that region should be relatively high. Let's be sincere with ourselves. Nsukka deserve more.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kcinho(m): 12:15pm On Oct 06, 2015
lacosanostra:

You have your answer right there..... UNN. The University has brought and keeps bringing individuals from every part of the country and even west Africa. The University town already has some infrastructure from the old eastern region which have been allowed to rot. UNN exposes a lot of individuals to the area yearly. Develop the area and see some of those who pass(ed) through the university contributing by coming/staying back to invest. Aside Enugu town, Nsukka is the next in terms of popularity, real estate, town planning, population(indigenes/non-indigenes), market, education(established secondary schools), mass media(a new FRCN, lion fm, NTA in view), hospitality(new hotels springing up) etc mostly resulting from the efforts of the federal government. I wonder why previous administrations refused to continue from where the federal government stopped by giving us another mega city as obtainable in Anambra and delta. Development of Nsukka town can run concurrently with that of Ninth-mile and Emene.
Every other region will get its attention subsequently. Udi town or Agbani would be next.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by donguutti: 12:18pm On Oct 06, 2015
Can we cut out , this Nsukka vs the Rest of US line of argument and try to focus attention on things like
exploiting our resources to make Enugu better or making efforts to change the leadership cadre especially
from the grassroots.

What programs have the Current administration set up to attract investors, train Agro Enterpreneurs etc.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by lacosanostra: 12:45pm On Oct 06, 2015
Kcinho:

You have your answer right there..... UNN. The University has brought and keeps bringing individuals from every part of the country and even west Africa. The University town already has some infrastructure from the old eastern region which have been allowed to rot. UNN exposes a lot of individuals to the area yearly. Develop the area and see some of those who pass(ed) through the university contributing by coming/staying back to invest. Aside Enugu town, Nsukka is the next in terms of popularity, real estate, town planning, population(indigenes/non-indigenes), market, education(established secondary schools), mass media(a new FRCN, lion fm, NTA in view), hospitality(new hotels springing up) etc mostly resulting from the efforts of the federal government. I wonder why previous administrations refused to continue from where the federal government stopped by giving us another mega city as obtainable in Anambra and delta. Development of Nsukka town can run concurrently with that of Ninth-mile and Emene.
Every other region will get its attention subsequently. Udi town or Agbani would be next.

it seems like I was really misunderstood, am all for the development of Nsukka

(1) (2) (3) ... (433) (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.