Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,724 members, 7,813,389 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (438) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1781165 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 7:37pm On Oct 10, 2015
kmariko:

Why not build rail lines instead of road. The 2 states can invite investors to do that and it will not cost them anything just the right of way.
nothing wrong in rehabilitating that important rd and building the rail though I dont see that happening (building rail) unless done by fg
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kmariko: 7:43pm On Oct 10, 2015
asha80:
nothing wrong in rehabilitating that important rd and building the rail though I dont see that happening (building rail) unless done by fg

All I see is lack of will power. If investing concerns find it worthwhile, theywill gladly put up their money and become owners of one of the busiest corridors in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by investnow2013: 7:46pm On Oct 10, 2015
kmariko:

Why not build rail lines instead of road. The 2 states can invite investors to do that and it will not cost them anything just the right of way.
Rail is great, but at the moment let's get other connecting roads which are cheaper to build between the two states moving first & Rail next!. A lots of money are lost because of this single connecting road to Enugu from Anambra State!.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kmariko: 7:52pm On Oct 10, 2015
investnow2013:
Rail is great, but at the moment let's get other connecting roads which are cheaper to build between the two states moving first & Rail next!.

Whether it is rail or roads, the point is that it shouldn't cost the government any more than documentation of deeds if they can seek out investors for them. After all they can recover their money through toll if it is road construction as done in most climes
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 10, 2015
Of course, some eastern governors are doing the little they could with the relatively small federal allocation. On Enugu-onitsha road, there's an inter state road built by both Enugu and Anambra state, may be with federal government assistance, 'am not quite certain. But this life-saving road still feeds into the Enugu-onitsha highway at some point. On Enugu-Benue-kogi road, the new Nike-opi road eases off the journey to some extent, and to prevent those heavy trucks from plying the road, the road was baricaded with pole the allow only low-set cars but not trucks.

There's little one can do in attempt to wholly bypass a federal road, to completely bypass it would not be cost effective, one could as well use the fund to rehabilitate the federal road. Most states of the east don't have the financial muscle, like Rivers state, to build federal roads. Though, it's possible for eastern governors to contribute and build the roads, but that would mean involved states sacrificing a lot of developmental plans for their various states for almost a tenure grin I don't think you can explain your poor performance as a governor to your state Residents when election comes for a second tenure.

I just wish the person or group of persons that handled Enugu-Abakaliki road (down to cameroon through Cross River) could be awarded the contract to rehabilite all federal roads in the east. That Enugu-Abakaliki road was built to good standard, with road marking, Road signs, even safety installations.

If any igbo person is involved in the bad state of these road, I pray that, that duplex he or she built with the siphoned money collapses on him or her.

I really don't how else to describe our situation, I have been to other regions, their federal roads are not as bad as we find them in the east.

investnow2013:
We should not always follow Nigeria's monistic system in everything!. Nigeria only believe in one way traffic in everything & we adopted same or worse in Igboland!.What stops Enugu or Anambra State from opening other roads linking Enugu & Anambra is beyond believe!.Must we rely on Enugu/Onitsha express road alone!.We need to opeOf course, some eastern governors are doing the little they could with the relatively small federal allocation. On Enugu-onitsha road, there's an inter state road built by both Enugu and Anambra state, may be with federal government assistance, 'am not quite certain. But this life-saving road still feeds into the Enugu-onitsha highway at some point. On Enugu-Benue-kogi road, the new Nike-opi road eases off the journey to some extent, and to prevent those heavy trucks from plying the road, the road was baricaded with pole the allow only low-set cars but not trucks. There little one can do to wholly bypass a federal road, any attempt to completely bypass it would not be cost effective, one could as well use the fund to rehabilitate thd federal road. Most states of the east don't have the financial muscle, like Rivers state, to build federal roads.

Though, it's possible for eastern governors to contribute and build the roads, but that would mean involved states sacrificing a lot of developmental plans for their various states for almost a tenure grin I don't think you can explain that to your state Residents when election comes for a second tenure.

I just wish the person or group of persons that handled Enugu-Abakaliki road (down to cameroon through Cross River) should be awarded the contract to rehabilite all federal roads in the east. That Enugu-Abakaliki road was built to good standard, with road marking, Road signs, even safety installations.

If any igbo person is involved in the bad state of these road, I pray that duplex built with the siphoned money collapses on him. I don't how else to describe it, I have been to other regions, their federal roads are not as bad as we find them in the east.

[quote author=investnow2013 post=38858764]We should not always follow Nigeria's monistic system in everything!. Nigeria only believe in one way traffic in everything & we adopted same or worse in Igboland!.What stops Enugu or Anambra State from opening other roads linking Enugu & Anambra is beyond believe!.Must we rely on Enugu/Onitsha express road alone!.We need to open at least 6 connecting roads in between us even without the useless Federal express road!. This will open up Anambra/ Enugu States economy!.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 8:51pm On Oct 10, 2015
kmariko:

[size=18pt]Why not build rail lines instead of road.

The 2 states can invite investors to do that and it will not cost them anything just the right of way.[/size]

You have asked the most intelligent question so far. That is why i blew it up to make sure everyone saw the question.

Yes, We must build those railways
The world bank or African development bank can bank these projects that will easily pay for itself.

the railway line will not be expensive as they will not be too many large rivers to cross building it in Igboland.

Besides ONLY 3 railway lines are required to link the entire SE Major cities to the Enugu PH railway line.
1. Onitsha - Enugu line
2. Abakaliki - Enugu line
3. Owerri to Okigwe line.

Once these lines are completed, goods and agricultural products can be hauled cheaply via rail to where they are needed.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 10, 2015
Well, first i would say that those in charge of the real decision making don't see things that way neither do they get our suggestions, so what ever we're doing here is just an academic exercise or creating awareness among us or being current with affairs of the east and Nigeria.

That been said, let's continue our discussion, for state(s) to build federal roads is not as straight forward as we think. Some of these roads involve, sometimes, up to 5 states, and if the federal government did not consider the rehabilitated road in the budget then the state(s) involved won't get their refund. If we go with building and putting toll gate, first federal government would have to approve that, then the issue of effectiveness and accountability in collecting and remitting the money becomes a great concern, and you could also imagine how long it will take to recover the cash, the later would scare any possible private investor in the project, if involved states are to go the way of PPP. Then you also need to considered the fact that eastern states receive the lowest allocation among all the 6 regions, any attempt to divert money meant for development of a state would grossly reflect on the state government performance. Some Governors may not be able to execute any meaningful state project in the first 4 years grin it means that within those years, other region would be developing their states, while we are busy cleaning up federal government mess

Conclusion, it's possible for state to collectively build these roads, but that would come with a lot of sacrifice and economic setback for the involved states and I don't see the present eastern governors wanting to take such risk. However, when it is possible for east to collectively develop the region through a common fund, then I don't think it should be limited to roads, it should involve a well articulated plan for the region, that is also capable of 'overriding' some of the things that are exclusive to the federal government.

milychocs:

@ the bolded.....but what if "they" do not fix these roads? And right now, "they" are not....and it is not looking like anything that will happen any time soon, the federal government fixing our roads that is,....and it is an emergency...to me at least

So what do we do? Do we continue waiting? And wailing? cheesy lipsrsealed (I believe it is a new name for us now)
Or do we take the bull by the horns, be our God given innovative, go-getting selves and get this done?

I see what a daunting task it is...some may say impossible, but what do you know? We might just pull this off....
You know what? It would be the most revolutionary thing done by Ndigbo in recent years, and the most awesome by far
Surely there is a way this feat could be possible?
And trust me, all the gazillion amounts they mention when awarding contracts on these roads are mere inflated sums
We all know this of course
If we can fix these roads....we will get Biafra right when it comes

Of course I agree with you it should not be so, but it is, ayi ga e ji mgbagbu ghalu ogu, eh nnaa?
Kedu solution if nothing is happening on these roads as should be?
I would love to know

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 10, 2015
Railway is a very capital intensive project, I don't see investors going that line with the present level of our economy. Moreover, Railway service is under the exclusive list of federal government.

cjrane:

You have asked the most intelligent question so far. That is why i blew it up to make sure everyone saw the question.

The world bank or African development bank can bank these projects that will easily pay for itself.

the railway line will not be expensive as they will not be too many large rivers to cross building it in Igboland.

Besides ONLY 3 railway lines are required to link the entire SE Major cities to the Enugu PH railway line.
1. Onitsha - Enugu line

Once these lines are completed, goods and agricultural products can be hauled cheaply via rail to where they are needed.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 9:25pm On Oct 10, 2015
cjrane:

1. Onitsha - Enugu line

As a matter of fact we can build light rail.
not the type Amaechi and Fashola built that is designed to have endless bridges which make their cost unaffordable, but we should borrow the type of light rail system in Salt Lake City, Utah.
This state, since it was not so financially bouyant, designed a rail system which didn't have a single bridge. So it was affordable. the only thing being that inside the city, the rails were almost like cars, as it stopped and moved at the traffic lights, just like a car would.

They can use the space between the express to make right of way for the train until it gets to Enugu. or they can chart a whole new path through the sparsely populated bushes so that it enjoys a decent speed free of interference.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 9:33pm On Oct 10, 2015
centje:
Railway is a very capital intensive project, I don't see investors going that line with the present level of our economy. Moreover, Railway service is under the exclusive list of federal government.

@ bolded,
Another of those terrible lies told in Nigeria. The same types of lies that said state governments could not build universities until Jim nwobodo and Sam mbakwe exposed that lie. That state governments couldn't build bridges, until Fashola, Peter obi and host of others built odor bridge etc, now we all know that was a lie too.That state governments could not afford capital intensive ariports, until Katsina, Uyo, Asaba airports were ALL built by state governments. That state governments could not afford to construct dual carriage ways etc etc.

Use india for example, it costs less to build a single gauge railway line than build a brand new dual carriage way. Again, if the roads were cheaper than railway, the colonial authorities would have built more roads than railways. but wherever they went, the built railways rather than roads. I challenge you to prove that the cost of Enugu Onitsha expressway is cheaper than a railway line from Enugu to Onitsha.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 10, 2015
centje:
Well, first i would say that those in charge of the real decision making don't see things that way neither do they get our suggestions, so .....

The eastern states receive the lowest allocation among all the 6 regions, any attempt to divert money meant for development of a state would grossly reflect on the state government performance. Some Governors may not be able to execute any meaningful state project in the first 4 years grin it means that within those years, other region would be developing their states, while we are busy cleaning up federal government mess

Conclusion, it's possible for state to collectively build these roads, but[b] that would come with a lot of sacrifice[/b] and economic setback for the involved states and I don't see the present eastern governors wanting to take such risk. However.......

Thank you
...@ the bolded, there lies the key
If our governors can look beyond elections and re-elections and face the issue that matters....we will have our roads
Again, if eastern states suffer a 4 year setback, do you want to tell we cannot rise from the setback in less than the 4 years?

This temporary setback will actually yield a lot progress in the long run....ease of business, ease of communication, spirit of ownership and cooperation among others...and the world will get to hear our plight, the region left to build its roads by itself
I see this as a win-win situation, eziokwu....gini bu 4 years if we can

This is idealistic, I know, but not academic...what you guys do here has inspired me more than you would ever know
Should we write letters to international bodies, telling them about our plight as a people? Do we dare?
What if we get these letters across, and make our "voices heard" thru this forum and elsewhere?
This attention and interest garnered from this can even reboot some brains lipsrsealed....then the right thing may be done...those responsible actually doing their job
Creating awareness about this will make Ndigbo in involved states take it easy with governors when they divert funds, for the roads of course....of course they have to pay salaries, pensions and other important basics shocked

As we say this, all those trucks are driving on these express roads, spoiling them the more....marauders lurk in the bushes where the roads are particularly bad, looking for what I don't know...a car is in danger of getting spoilt and stuck on these roads....it is taking a loooonger amount of time for a driver with six mouths to feed and send to school to do an economic trip from Okigwe to Awka, from Enugu to Onitsha, etc...his trips are cut, and that is money never made

My point? Some sacrifice must be made for greater good to be achieved
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 10, 2015
That it's capital intensive doesn't mean it can't be built, but It still costs more to build railway than to build road. Remember, stations will be built too, trains bought. The advantage train has over automobile is safety and large number of passengers per trip. And not anyone can build it at the moment since its still in Exclusive list.

The colonists went for railway because that was the means of transportation then that could carry the heavy resources to our coastal lines for shipping.

cjrane:

@ bolded,
Another of those terrible lies told in Nigeria. The same types of lies that said state governments could not build universities until Jim nwobodo and Sam mbakwe exposed that lie. That state governments couldn't build bridges, until Fashola, Peter obi and host of others built odor bridge etc, now we all know that was a lie too.That state governments could not afford capital intensive ariports, until Katsina, Uyo, Asaba airports were ALL built by state governments. That state governments could not afford to construct dual carriage ways etc etc.

Use india for example, it costs less to build a single gauge railway line than build a brand new dual carriage way. Again, if the roads were cheaper than railway, the colonial authorities would have built more roads than railways. but wherever they went, the built railways rather than roads. I challenge you to prove that the cost of Enugu Onitsha expressway is cheaper than a railway line from Enugu to Onitsha.

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 10, 2015
Some pretty good innovative ideas on here
From creating road diversions, reconstructing existing and bad roads and awakening our rail roads cool
Proud of you all.....
The one that would save more costs may just be our saviour

It may be veeery hard, but the most important fact to remember is that it is possible
We can do everything, we are Igbo cheesy
Seriously, I mean that, every word

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Handsomegod(m): 10:28pm On Oct 10, 2015
Someone once showed me a video of Enugu-Onitsha dual carriage way from Umunya to Ugwuoba and it was a helluva an eyesore especially during this rainy season. He also showed me from 9th mile to the base of Onyeama mines and it was riddled with innumerable pot holes and contours. More like driving in amazon forest because the bumps and holes keeping jabing at ur vehicle! It is inconceivable that such an important region suffers such neglect. Let me remind us all that I was still a student in UNN in 2006 when that road was awarded and work began on it from Abakpa junction. That we are still talking of same road almost 10 years later, in worse state is massive indictment on a lot of stake holders who interestingly are our brothers. The Kano-Maiduguri expressway which is 20 times longer was completed under 4 years and so was the Dute-Bauchi expressway to mention but a few. While we throw darts at the Fed govt for neglect,be reminded that our Locki may be one of our own. Those who fear that the sparse financial status of the current eastern governments may not carry the repair of the roads have a point yet as a palliative measure,it won't cost much to grade these failed portions and asphalt them if possible, at least to moderate the time wasted and preserve the life span of vehicles,especially of regular users.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 11:07pm On Oct 10, 2015
Handsomegod:
Someone once showed me a video of Enugu-Onitsha dual carriage way from Umunya to Ugwuoba and it was a helluva an eyesore especially during this rainy season. He also showed me from 9th mile to the base of Onyeama mines and it was riddled with innumerable pot holes and contours. More like driving in amazon forest because the bumps and holes keeping jabing at ur vehicle! It is inconceivable that such an important region suffers such neglect. Let me remind us all that I was still a student in UNN in 2006 when that road was awarded and work began on it from Abakpa junction. That we are still talking of same road almost 10 years later, in worse state is massive indictment on a lot of stake holders who interestingly are our brothers. The Kano-Maiduguri expressway which is 20 times longer was completed under 4 years and so was the Dute-Bauchi expressway to mention but a few. While we throw darts at the Fed govt for neglect,be reminded that our Locki may be one of our own. Those who fear that the sparse financial status of the current eastern governments may not carry the repair of the roads have a point yet as a palliative measure,it won't cost much to grade these failed portions and asphalt them if possible, at least to moderate the time wasted and preserve the life span of vehicles,especially of regular users.
I doubt Kano maidugiri road dualization has been completed because sometime last yr it had to be abandoned because of bh fears
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kmariko: 12:02am On Oct 11, 2015
centje:

Yet investors put in their money for the refinery at aguleri. First let the government initiate it either by bond or direct selection of interested investment companies. Then sell the idea to the citizens. It is then and only then that you can sincerely acknowledge that it is a success or a failure. You just can't condemn something because of feeling,, or things will never get done.

Rails provide more varied employment opportunities, move more people and goods, last longer, generate more income through taxes, opens up more interior and is cheaper.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 4:45pm On Oct 11, 2015
The problem is lack of transparency in govt. otherwise i would have said taxation is the only way to address infrastucture deficit in the east. Tax on petrol and tolls are the best ways to go about those projects.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 8:43am On Oct 12, 2015
I heard they are considering inviting the Russians into igboland without pissing off America.

Any Idea on how to invite the Russians without pissing off the West esp American republicans,Germany,France etc? Send me a mail
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 3:53pm On Oct 12, 2015
The government has started repair works on some of our urban roads, pictures later. .....
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 4:19pm On Oct 12, 2015
Around Ogui junction, Enugu. .......

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 4:22pm On Oct 12, 2015
Road repairs, today.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 4:23pm On Oct 12, 2015
Men at Work. .....

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 12, 2015
spyder880:
Men at Work. .....

Oga Spyder, What is going on in centenary city.. Abeg gist us. grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 12, 2015
Good evening all
...please are Barth and Gil Nnaji related?
I am assuming so, but remember this is me cheesy
Thank you
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Tashaamania(f): 8:58pm On Oct 12, 2015
CFCfan:
My dad passed away earlier today. He had a stroke for some weeks now. Then, a cardiac arrest took his life away
I somehow managed to stumble upon this. I'm soo sorry about your loss. May the almighty grant you and your family fortitude to bear the loss. Amen.

Accept my sympathy, please.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:26pm On Oct 12, 2015
milychocs:
Good evening all
...please are Barth and Gil Nnaji related?
I am assuming so, but remember this is me cheesy
Thank you
They are brothers
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 12, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

They are brothers

Thank you nwanne mmadu
....@ your answer, shocked lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chinweze93(m): 10:57pm On Oct 12, 2015
There are roads that need serious attention. In God's name what is this man doing. Last week, he was so busy changing d name of committees, this week na to dey break up roads in fairly good condition. If There is no money , let him be clear on that to d parasitic jobless enugu pdp members and stop playing kangaroo game with us citizens. Cut costs. Less committees. Less improptu donations. What d f.. K is his plan for Agric. Industries. Students. Commence. Coal.? His village orba has d largest grain market in igboland, wont He like to take it to d next level(chimaroke built d wharfs)(attract mills) .. Pls mr gov. we've had enough of politics

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chinweze93(m): 11:26pm On Oct 12, 2015
Is it me or does anyone here foresee how important obollo afor could be economically to the state.
1) it is a transit zone(b/w) regions.
2)was a center of palm oil production and could still thrive If proper attention is paid
3)it is about d only major cashew producing area in igboland it is a cultural thing. D people put d cashew tree at d same cultural significance d udi people put d palm. It is widely regarded as a family asset. There is an indian company exporting cashew there new. Developing d cashew industry could be a plus for us (processing, juice etc)
4)it is d major commercial town in nsukka zone. Forget nsukka, obollo afor+orba serves as market(mostly agro) for d entire highly populated nsukka zone, kogi and benue. It is here d northerners bring their good. People come from my village neke to this plant. We need to take d leap from commerce to production.
5)hosts some of d highly sought wood species. Pestle n mortar here are of d highest grade. A decent wood industry could develop here
6)over centuries business has been transacted here b/w d north and d sought. Food comes from north, d south sends oil n other goods(potentially processed we hope in future). D fed troops entered obollo first n gunned down nzeogwu there. I believe their is a potentially important town for d south east. Let us take a cue from D planning genius of okpara et al and be proactive.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:15am On Oct 13, 2015
Tashaamania:

I somehow managed to stumble upon this. I'm soo sorry about your loss. May the almighty grant you and your family fortitude to bear the loss. Amen.

Accept my sympathy, please.
Thank you, dear.
I am comforted by the fact that he's in a better place smiling on us.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 9:10pm On Oct 13, 2015
When I saw Chimaroke Nnamani and his campaign team in Enugu town today, I was surprised. And when I drew closer and asked one of the campaigners, he informed me that the Enugu East senatorial election had been nullified and will be repeated.

Is this true?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 9:21pm On Oct 13, 2015
spyder880:
When I saw Chimaroke Nnamani and his campaign team in Enugu town today, I was surprised. And when I drew closer and asked one of the campaigners, he informed me that the Enugu East senatorial election had been nullified and will be repeated.

Is this true?
yes..Gilbert nnaji's election was cancelled and rerun ordered..the thread was on politics board yesterday

(1) (2) (3) ... (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.