Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,667 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:05 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (583) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1785476 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (580) (581) (582) (583) (584) (585) (586) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ofodirinwa: 9:06pm On Jul 20, 2018
nnamdijonathan:

So you did not also see that Onitsha was recorded as the dirtiest city in the world, you only saw Owerri? This guy is a hypocrite.

lol Owerri wasn't even on the list, just Onitsha and Aba
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by bestview: 9:24pm On Jul 20, 2018
Ikengawo, see the full report of SE cities/towns affected. Owerri, Orlu and Okigwe are all represented fully. You have nothing to gloat about. It is something that has affected almost all of the SE.

Ofodirinwa:

lol Owerri was even on the list, just Owerri and Aba

Lifestyle
The 12 cities in Nigeria with the most polluted air

The study tagged ambient outdoor air pollution database 2016 revealed the 12 prominent cities with heavily polluted air in Nigeria.
The World Health Organisation has revealed that 12 cities in Nigeria have the most polluted air.
The study tagged ambient outdoor air pollution database 2016 revealed the 12 prominent cities with heavily polluted air.

According to the recently released study by the WHO, air pollution consists of many pollutants, among other particulate matter.

These particles are able to penetrate deeply into the respiratory tract and therefore constitute a risk for health by increased mortality from respiratory infections and diseases, lung cancer, and selected cardiovascular diseases.

The level of pollution in the air, according to the study by WHO, is measured in microscopic particle of less than 2.5 microns ( PM2.5) and less than 10 microns of diameter (PM10) [ug/m3].

What is PM?
In a report by the World Bank, PM is described as a microscopic particle -2.5 microns in width and almost 30 times smaller than the diameter of a human hair. When levels are high, PM particles form a haze in the sky, making their way into people’s respiratory tracts and reaching the lungs.

Often dubbed a silent killer, the PM's long-term impacts on lung and heart diseases is extremely regarded dangerous.

Exposure to indoor and outdoor air pollution was estimated by WHO to cause about 7 million deaths globally, raising awareness of the scourge of pollution on a global scale.

The most polluted cities in Nigeria
According to the World Health Organisation, the cities that may have a high rate of people suffering from respiratory infections and diseases are:

1. Aba (Abia State)
Aba is a city in the southeast of Nigeria and the commercial center of Abia State. Upon the creation of Abia state in 1991, Aba was divided into two local governments areas namely; Aba South and Aba North. Aba south is the main city centre and the heart beat of Abia State, south-east Nigeria. It is located on the Aba River.

PM 10: 373; PM 2.5: 49

2. Abakaliki (Ebonyi State)
Abakaliki is the capital city of the present-day Ebonyi State in southeastern Nigeria, located 64 kilometres southeast of Enugu. The inhabitants are primarily members of the Igbo nation.

PM 10: 88; PM 2.5: 28

3. Afikpo (Ebonyi State)
Afikpo, also known as "Ehugbo", is a town and the second largest urban area in Ebonyi State, Nigeria. It is the headquarters of the Afikpo North Local Government Area. It is situated in the southern part of Ebonyi State and is bordered to the north by the town of Akpoha, to the south by Unwana,

PM 10: 72; PM 2.5: 25

4. Enugu (Enugu)
Enugu is the capital of Enugu State in Nigeria. It is located in southeastern Nigeria. The city had a population of 722,664 according to the 2006 Nigerian census.

PM 10: 115; PM 2.5: 15

5. Ile-Ife (Osun State)
Ile-Ife is an ancient Yoruba city in south-western Nigeria. The city is located in the present day Osun State.

PM 10: 103; PM 2.5: 26

6. Kaduna (Kaduna State)
Kaduna is the state capital of Kaduna State in north-western Nigeria, on the Kaduna River, is a trade center and a major transportation hub for the surrounding agricultural areas with its rail and road junction.

PM 10: 423; PM 2.5: 90

7. Nnewi (Anambra State)
Nnewi is the second largest city in Anambra State in southeastern Nigeria. Nnewi as a metropolitan city encompasses 2 local government areas, Nnewi North, Nnewi South; Nnewi North is commonly referred to as Nnewi Central, and comprises four autonomous quarters: Otolo, Uruagu, Umudim, and Nnewichi. Nnewi North

PM 10: 57; PM 2.5: 24

8. Nsukka (Enugu State)
Nsukka is a town and Local Government Area in southeast Nigeria in Enugu State. Towns that share a common border with Nsukka, are Eha alumona, Edem, Alor-uno, Opi, Orba and Ede-Oballa, Obukpa, Obimo.

PM 10: 117; PM 2.5: 14

9. Onitsha (Anambra State)
Onitsha is a city located on the eastern bank of the Niger River, in Nigeria's Anambra State. A metropolitan city, Onitsha is known for its river port and as an economic hub for commerce, industry, and education. It hosts the Onitsha Main Market, the largest market in Africa in terms of geographical size and volume of goods.

PM 10: 594; PM 2.5: 66

10. Orlu (Imo State)
Orlu is the second largest city, after Owerri, in Southeast Nigeria's Imo State with an estimated population of 420,000. It has a long history and has played a critical role as the headquarters for the Organisation of African Unity (OAU) ran Humanitarian Relief Agencies during the Nigeria/Biafra civil war.

PM 10: 52; PM 2.5: 16

11. Owerri (Imo State)
Owerri is the capital of Imo State in Nigeria, set in the heart of Igboland. It is also the state's largest city, followed by Orlu and Okigwe as second and third respectively.

PM 10: 158; PM 2.5: 44

12. Umuahia (Abia State)
Umuahia is the capital city of Abia State in southeastern Nigeria. Umuahia is located along the rail road that lies between Port Harcourt to its south and Enugu city to its north.

PM 10: 274; PM 2.5: 40

https://www.pulse.ng/bi/lifestyle/the-12-cities-in-nigeria-with-the-most-polluted-air-id8335694.html

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by BankeSmalls(f): 9:31pm On Jul 20, 2018
spyder880:
Presenting to you, the Europe inside Enugu cheesy

The Oaklands hotels........

Wow, have you seen the newest hotel in Enugu, I heard its at nza street and the best in the city. Has anyone seen it?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Sprumbabafather: 9:37pm On Jul 20, 2018
BankeSmalls:

Wow, have you seen the newest hotel in Enugu, I heard its at nza street and the best in the city. Has anyone seen it?

spyder, can you help us with the pics of the newest hotel abeg? wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InvertedHammer: 10:30pm On Jul 21, 2018
spyder880:
Presenting to you, the Europe inside Enugu cheesy

The Oaklands hotels........

Nice but pricey.

They have exquisite finishes on the interior.

I stayed three nights there until someone mentioned something about some children's death (I don't know the details). It seems that folks are shying away from this hotel due to bad publicity or perhaps the price....very sad, I must say.

/
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Cjrane2: 12:27am On Jul 22, 2018
Chrismario:

Are we fighting?
Thought we are having a civil discussion about Igbo unwanted development of Lagos,Abuja,Kano etc.

They will lose ALL their properties when Buhari loses in 2019 and Arewa yoots place their Fatwa / quit notice on Igbos to leave their region.

Nigeria is a zoo.

I plead with Igbos to STOP thinking about Nigeria and think of their own region as their homeland.

If Igbos can do like other Nigerians and consider their homeland first before any other place in "Nigeria", they would have learnt something from the tragic history of Nigeria.

When Fulani is talking about investing in "Nigeria", he is talking about, Kano, Kaduna or Sokoto. Not Onitsha or Umuahia

When yoruba is speaking of investing in "Nigeria", he is talking about Lagos, Ibadan or Akure. Not Enugu , Aba or Owerri.

When Igbo is speaking of investing in "Nigeria", he is talking about Lagos, Kano, Abuja,Kaduna or Maiduguri. Not Awka, Abakaliki or Nnewi.

Ndigbo, emere unu ihea eme? If your "Nigeria" always means other people's homeland, who will develop your homeland?

Tetanu n'ula!!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ofodirinwa: 3:47am On Jul 23, 2018
^sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 7:52am On Jul 23, 2018
Cjrane2:

Nigeria is a zoo.

I plead with Igbos to STOP thinking about Nigeria and think of their own region as their homeland.

If Igbos can do like other Nigerians and consider their homeland first before any other place in "Nigeria", they would have learnt something from the tragic history of Nigeria.

When Fulani is talking about investing in "Nigeria", he is talking about, Kano, Kaduna or Sokoto. Not Onitsha or Umuahia

When yoruba is speaking of investing in "Nigeria", he is talking about Lagos, Ibadan or Akure. Not Enugu , Aba or Owerri.

When Igbo is speaking of investing in "Nigeria", he is talking about Lagos, Kano, Abuja,Kaduna or Maiduguri. Not Awka, Abakaliki or Nnewi.

Ndigbo, emere unu ihea eme? If your "Nigeria" always means other people's homeland, who will develop your homeland?

Tetanu n'ula!!

God bless you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 7:56am On Jul 23, 2018
A lot of nice development happening around the Nike lake resort hotel, Enugu East. But this area needs a flyover at T junction area fast. We need to do something about the traffic congestion around this area.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Donelli: 8:45am On Jul 23, 2018
If you are talking of GDP, Anambra has the largest GDP in the south east. Abia state is a distant second. Enugu state is basically a civil servant state and should be third or fourth.

You are such a hopeless frustrated worthless illiterate. Your illiteracy is so nauseating and infectious that you should be chained and caged. If you had a superior fact to back up your assertion you won't resort to insults. I.diiotic dunce. Nkita lachaa gi anya there. Nkita nwuru anwu.

So you did not also see that Onitsha was recorded as the dirtiest city in the world, you only saw Owerri? This guy is a hypocrite.

Dear Elders of the Igbo community, for how long shall we continue to bicker among ourselves on such trivialities

Inasmuch as I have heavily criticized the governor on so many issues, I must commend him on his dedication to sanitation.
He should keep it up and extend this commitment to other sectors.

I believe we should adopt this kind of constructive approach instead of arguing about which state is better(?) than the other.

My brother I tire for them oo. Most of their studies and statistics showed that southeast is the zone with the highest poverty level in southern Nigeria. But when there is a federal or international programme for poverty alleviation, southeast will not be considered or maybe just one state while most of the projects will be taken to most states in the southwest which they claim is the zone with the lowest poverty level in south and Nigeria at large.

However, nobody should take Nigerian statistics of Enugu GDP seriously. To them, Osun state has a higher GDP than Enugu and Anambra combined.

Nigeria has the world's most laughable concoction called "data" on almost everything because data is linked to sharing federal allocation.

No data from official government circles in Nigeria is a true reflection of what is on the ground. It is always manipulated for federal allocation.

The bolded shows once again that Igboland is being underestimated and probably waved aside as being almost inconsequential.

Tetanu n'ula!!

I agree with this submission.

It is quite unfortunate that the Igbo man, who by every definition is a nationalist, is being look down on as an enemy of national unity. While others deal mostly along regional lines, the Igbo man happily deals in every location as long as business profits. However, the realities on ground are no longer favorable as it were, and so, we have to review our rules of engagement.

When we begin to ask our government (the east) the right questions, put them on the spot, impress on them to create a favorable environment and we begin to re-establish those investments that are hitherto far from home, we will see Igboland in a new glorious state.

When we replace bickering among states with copying and sharing laudable ideas, Igboland will be the most sort after investment destination in West Africa.

I dream of that day when an American/European/Asian will apply for visa to come to Igboland and will be in waiting pool because the application pool is filled up cheesy

Ekene'm unu!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by bendo75(m): 5:59am On Jul 24, 2018
AlienDude:
Graceland Layout is a very fine place to buy land. Buildings are springing up there very fast, I mean very very fast!!!. The layout is very genuine, the way building are been erected there will tell anyone it's a genuine layout, I personally verified it with the Enugu Town planning Authority and Ministry of Land. It's adjacent Golf Estate, on the other side of Enugu-Onistha expressway, just before the flyover leading to New Market. A plot there is in the range of 5mil-2mil. You could be lucky to get as low as 1.5mil, but this type will be either close to the hills or on the hills. The money covers agent and lawyer fee. The area is just too juicy! Zion Estate, located on the hills, is close to the layout

Another good area is Aruga layout, it's located behind centinary city. The layout is very huge, about 2.5k plots of land within the layout. It was part of centinary city but the community had a fallout with Privates Estates, the company in charge of centinary city, so they took their land back from Private Estates. A plot there is in the range of 1.5 to 3mil. I personally know the Town planner who planned the layout. If you can't buy land within the centinary city, please make effort to buy land in this Aruga layout. In 3-5years time you will amazed how that area will change.

Am not a land Agent but I stay in Enugu, and I got to know about these areas while searching for land to buy in Enugu.

Thanks for your response. How fast do you think Graceland will develop to golf estate status. What type of buildings are springing up there and are they well planned? Do you know if government has interest in road constructions in the area. Thanks for your time.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Xander85: 2:19pm On Jul 25, 2018
spyder880:
A lot of nice development happening around the Nike lake resort hotel, Enugu East. But this area needs a flyover at T junction area fast. We need to do something about the traffic congestion around this area.

That building looks solid and imposing!

All Enugu needs now is a serious and proper investment in solid....and i mean SOLID infrastructure to make it one of the top 3 most beautiful cities in Nigeria!

It needs investments in: a network of flyovers, a linked-up underground sewage system, working street and traffic lights, and at least 2 sprawling state parks like the Millennium Park in Abuja! If Enugu gets these, it would be the toast of investors and holidaymakers alike!

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jul 25, 2018
Xander85:

That building looks solid and imposing!

All Enugu needs now is a serious and proper investment in solid....and i mean SOLID infrastructure to make it one of the top 3 most beautiful cities in Nigeria!

It needs investments in: a network of flyovers, a linked-up underground sewage system, working street and traffic lights, and at least 2 sprawling state parks like the Millennium Park in Abuja! If Enugu gets these, it would be the toast of investors and holidaymakers alike!

All you have written here are OK but, as for the construction of a linked-up underground sewage system, I see this project as being outrightly impossible due to cost and the current budget and IGR of Enugu state. What I believe may be possible is to link up all gutters currently available at least within Enugu city before even thinking doing the same in the entire state and not to forget, covering all gutters to create walk ways and plant non-invasive root shade trees behind the gutters close to fences.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Xander85: 1:05am On Jul 26, 2018
nnamdijonathan:

All you have written here are OK but, as for the construction of a linked-up underground sewage system, I see this project as being outrightly impossible due to cost and the current budget and IGR of Enugu state. What I believe may be possible is to link up all gutters currently available at least within Enugu city before even thinking doing the same in the entire state and not to forget, covering all gutters to create walk ways and plant non-invasive root shade trees behind the gutters close to fences.

But didn't Akpabio do a similar thing in Uyo? I seem to remember Julius Berger building it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 26, 2018
Xander85:

But didn't Akpabio do a similar thing in Uyo? I seem to remember Julius Berger building it.

Akwa Ibom enjoys oil derivation and also has a big budget to handle such a project. If the government can successfully link all gutters within the city together, that will go a long way in solving erosion problems.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by AlienDude: 7:33pm On Jul 26, 2018
What are being built there are mostly Duplexes with few Block houses. It's not Government planned layout, It's​ community Project so there's no specified pattern of building. But the place was properly planned using Enugu state town planning standards...the street roads are wide and graded. It think Enugu's standard for street road is not less than 10metre wide.

With the rate of construction I saw there, The place will be completely built in the next 2-3years.

Government doesnt have interest there, and to be honest Enugu state government only build street road where big boys live and places of personal Economic interest.

Chime's Administration was different, his Administration aimed at cleaning up Enugu, so he built a lot of street roads, even as far as coal camp where the poorest live.

If you have the money then you can buy land in Government Estates like Centinary city, HELIU, WTC, Citadel, Valley estates, and enjoy those basic Amenities. For us who are still hustling, we look at layouts that are fair enough, whenever Government remembers street road in that area we will thank God.

bendo75:

Thanks for your response. How fast do you think Graceland will develop to golf estate status. What type of buildings are springing up there and are they well planned? Do you know if government has interest in road constructions in the area. Thanks for your time.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ofodirinwa: 3:09am On Jul 27, 2018

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InvertedHammer: 2:29am On Jul 28, 2018
Ofuzo:

Not surprised that you are wondering because some of you are just wandering around in the DARKNESS. Like I told one guy some time ago, just try to leave your village for once in your life. You don't even have to cross the ocean. Morrocan, Kenyan and South African visas are not hard to get. Go and visit cities like Rabat, Nairobi, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban, to see how they build things. I have even suggested visiting Abuja to see how it was built. All these JUNK they are building in igboland is a JOKE. The funny thing is the amount of CHEST THUMPING coming from you guys about your prowess in business, but you guys don't seem to know how to do other things right. The pictures I've seen about some of these estates like heliu are typical of all other RUBBISH that is springing up in the south east ie houses that are built with BLOCK and CEMENT; the entire front yard and back yard covered with concrete instead of grass; no trees in sight; HUMAN WASTE that is buried in the backyard; BOREHOLE for clean water. I even saw a GUTTER to nowhere, like it is on every SINGLE one of our roads. It's all GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT. Stop it NOW. Start doing things the right way. It's 2018 for crying out loud. Stop this MEDIOCRITY in igboland.

/
I wish I have your level of expertise in construction.

If I were you, I will go to your home state(Imo) and build something of reckoning where naysayers like me will be directed to view a masterpiece from Ofuzo.

It is a colossal waste of time to expend energy ranting online without a Boys' Quarter where your attention to details will be showcased.

Talk is cheap.

/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 9:45am On Jul 28, 2018
Is this the Milken hill?

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Xander85: 9:54am On Jul 28, 2018
biafrandream:
Is this the Milken hill?

Shoddy construction jobs...the bane of the SE in particular and Nigeria in general!

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Sprumbabafather: 9:58am On Jul 28, 2018
InvertedHammer:

/
I wish I have your level of expertise in construction.

If I were you, I will go to your home state(Imo) and build something of reckoning where naysayers like me will be directed to view a masterpiece from Ofuzo.

It is a colossal waste of time to expend energy ranting online without a Boys' Quarter where your attention to details will be showcased.

Talk is cheap.

/

He claims Imo to deceive you, he is afonja.

his intention is to spread as much acrimonious bile and to demarket Igboland because of hate. They think Igboland is leaving them behind so they spread every bad word they can muster to paint the whole place black. Very evil people.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jul 28, 2018
Have you guys seen this evil news to propagate Islam in Igboland starting from Ebonyi state?
https://www.nairaland.com/4643353/need-more-support-igbos-propagate
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Daewang: 9:35pm On Jul 28, 2018
nnamdijonathan:
Have you guys seen this evil news to propagate Islam in Igboland starting from Ebonyi state?
https://www.nairaland.com/4643353/need-more-support-igbos-propagate

It can never work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:03am On Aug 02, 2018
Test your knowledge of Enugu, where is this? cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Aug 02, 2018
spyder880:
Test your knowledge of Enugu, where is this? cheesy

9th Mile cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:43pm On Aug 02, 2018
GloryIsaac:

9th Mile cheesy

No, this is within the city cheesy

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:17pm On Aug 02, 2018
spyder880:

No, this is within the city cheesy

How did I not get it? sad

Alright, it should be "NCFC roundabout towards New Market but with a road leading to 9th Mile". wink grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 7:00am On Aug 03, 2018
That looks like Abakaliki road, leading onwards to Abakpa cantonment, and mainland Abakpa to the right. You're standing near the entrance to National Orthopedic Hospital.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 7:44am On Aug 03, 2018
GloryIsaac:

How did I not get it? sad

Alright, it should be "NCFC roundabout towards New Market but with a road leading to 9th Mile". wink grin

No way cheesy But you tried, next time I will be adding a price for the guess, maybe a recharge card or something to add fun and make more of our people participate.

This place is the front gate of the National orthopaedic hospital, Enugu, looking over Abakpa junction.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 7:47am On Aug 03, 2018
passion007:
That looks like Abakaliki road, leading onwards to Abakpa cantonment, and mainland Abakpa to the right. You're standing near the entrance to National Orthopedic Hospital.

Excellent bro, I didn't see this reply before typing my response to GloryIsaac above. You are correct. cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (580) (581) (582) (583) (584) (585) (586) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.