Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,021 members, 7,835,457 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:26 AM

GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon (13147 Views)

Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS / Police IG Snubs House Of Reps Over Siege On National Assembly / Alison-madueke Summoned By Reps Over Fuel Scarcity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by betrani(m): 7:29pm On Jul 04, 2012
Kobojunkie: Nigerian Journalists are good at making up the most stupid. Why in the world would the President SUE the National Assembly over a summons that pertains to National Security? This is the same President who went on national TV on June 24th to reveal that he has not seen the summons and would welcome it. Now, less than 2 weeks, he is suing? If anyone should be sued, I think the DailyPost needs to be for this.
why in d first instance must they summon him? to tell them what ? about what?
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by cashmentor(m): 7:30pm On Jul 04, 2012
Na when Gej become gods being Summoned?
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Kobojunkie: 7:30pm On Jul 04, 2012
betrani: why in d first instance must they summon him? to tell them what ? about what?

um . . . Maybe because he is the one in charge of Security in Nigeria? DUh!!! Or who do you think ought to be summoned in that case?
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by betrani(m): 7:30pm On Jul 04, 2012
Kobojunkie: Nigerian Journalists are good at making up the most stupid. Why in the world would the President SUE the National Assembly over a summons that pertains to National Security? This is the same President who went on national TV on June 24th to reveal that he has not seen the summons and would welcome it. Now, less than 2 weeks, he is suing? If anyone should be sued, I think the DailyPost needs to be for this.
why in d first instance must they summon him? to tell them what ? about what? as they tells hwhselour money abi? u nor well!
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On Jul 04, 2012
, .
betrani: why in d first instance must they summon him? to tell them what ? about what?

um . . . Maybe because he is the one in charge of Security in Nigeria? DUh!!! Or who do you think ought to be summoned in that case?
Rather than display your ignorance, I suggest you take a look at the summons details, then follow it up with a crash course on what your constitution says of who is in charge of security in the Nation. Then ask what has happened to the almost a trillion budgeted for security improvement in Nigeria, and then ask who exactly would know the answer to that question in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by DaLover(m): 7:34pm On Jul 04, 2012
Why does he need to sue the house, it sounds too idiotic to be true...
if he doesn't want to come..he can simply stay away...
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by betrani(m): 7:37pm On Jul 04, 2012
Kobojunkie:

whats the job of the NSA and the DM or MOD? why were they appointed? if not to ensure the security of lives and property of nigerians! Mayb they should even summon him for dana crash! Mumu

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Beaf: 7:37pm On Jul 04, 2012
Just to reiterate, the law courts are where the constitution is interpreted and precedence is set.

The House of Rep has an almost id!otic penchant for acting above themselves; they had the temerity to summon Obj 4 times. On the 4 occasions, Obj refused.
GEJ does not want to give anyone the opportunity to express foolishness so freely and repeatedly, he wants this first occasion to be the last one. That is why the Executive is contemplating going to court to lay the law down once and for all in indelible ink.

Beaf:

How do you establish boundaries in a democracy?
Common sense says that civilised people would establish boundaries through the law courts; an uncivilised person might see such actions as foolish, though.
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by muchex: 7:37pm On Jul 04, 2012
[b]Beaf:[/b]How do you establish boundaries in a democracy?
Common sense says that civilised people would establish boundaries through the law courts; an uncivilised person might see such actions as foolish, though.

So in essence, you are supporting this move by your president?
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Kobojunkie: 7:39pm On Jul 04, 2012
betrani: whats the job of the NSA and the DM or MOD? why were they appointed? if not to ensure the security of lives and property of nigerians! Mayb they should even summon him for dana crash! Mumu

Please go read your Constitution MUMU-extraordinaire!! Those entities you listed are UNDER the command of the President and get their orders from him. Nigeria has NO Independent Security Agency, hence the reason why the President is considered the one in charge of Security in Nigeria. If you are this daft, at least read the news on how the President seems always involved in the decision making process when it comes to security at the state and National Level.
Haba!!! This is why I am not 100% anti-abortion . . .
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Beaf: 7:42pm On Jul 04, 2012
muchex:

So in essence, you are supporting this move by your president?

Yes, I am. We are not wild beasts who do things like fools.
If anyone has an argument about the propriety of any action, the sane thing to do is go to court.
Nobody is too big to go to court or too big to be governed by law.

Secondly, there is no confirmation beyond [b]your [/b]rumour mill that there is such a move.
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Mandelaguy(m): 7:42pm On Jul 04, 2012
Saboteurs,looking for a way to stop measures being put up to stop the boys they are sponsoring. Karma will catch all of them!
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by DaLover(m): 7:42pm On Jul 04, 2012
efepens: I feel sorry for Nigerians especially the youths and the working class, they think what is happening is a joke, I am based in the US and I see how for very little human right issues, people come out and fight for their rights, the government hold the opinion of its people in very high esteem becos, they know when the masses turn away from the government that government will fall, Nigerian are so scared to hold their leaders accountable for anything, all we do is gossip and laugh, they believe, somehow, things will get better, it’s a petty I do not blame those in government, but I blame the masses that are so afraid, we did it before during the last fuel protest, we saw the govt bend to their kneels, we can do it again, enough of the talks, like they say action is better then words...

Chief...in the US...hard working individuals and private concerns drive the economy...
Nigerians expect father Christmas government...

In the US, very little money is made directly by government, most of it money is gotten from taxes of the citizens
In Nigeria..government doesn't run on your taxes, there is a direct channel to oil resources which runs government, not your taxes

In this two differing models you cannot even expect the relationship between govt and citizens to be the same in both cases.
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jul 04, 2012
I am not surprised. grin grin grin
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by DerMeister: 7:59pm On Jul 04, 2012
Oh boy, attack the clueless gej and this beaf creature comes slithering out from his a.s.s...

This man would prolly be the president with the lowest IQ in the world,add advisers with single digit IQs and the country is doomed to failure!!
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by betrani(m): 8:05pm On Jul 04, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Please go read your Constitution MUMU-extraordinaire!! Those entities you listed are UNDER the command of the President and get their orders from him. Nigeria has NO Independent Security Agency, hence the reason why the President is considered the one in charge of Security in Nigeria. If you are this daft, at least read the news on how the President seems always involved in the decision making process when it comes to security at the state and National Level.
Haba!!! This is why I am not 100% anti-abortion . . .
It is people like u that a lecturer will set exams for and u wiil ask him d answer to question 1! Or ur employer reads out ur job description to u, after nodin to signify ur understandin, d next mornin u ask he or she again to read ur job description to u! So u want him to brief those fools when they knw who exactly d shld have summoned! Even if there is a nid to say a few thins out, does this nid to be leaked? Is it the same BH members in d house he should tell strategies and plans to eliminate them? Mumu x 1000000000000000000! Thats if u will understand this one
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by nduchucks: 8:06pm On Jul 04, 2012
When a country is at war with "terrorists", as is the case in Nigeria, one would expect the President to bring in all parties, including respected leaders from the affected region, NASS subcommittee on National Security and Foreign Affairs, and others to discuss how to solve the resulting security issues. It seems obvious that GEJ and his team did not keep NASS in the loop while the security situation continues to deteriorate, prompting the summons.

This shows that our President is surrounded by incompetent and ill-advised operatives. This is a time when the executive and legislative branch should be cooperating and be working together towards finding a solution. Valuable time will now be wasted on a foolist lawsuit which can be avoided altogether. SMH
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Kobojunkie: 8:11pm On Jul 04, 2012
betrani: It is people like u that a lecturer will set exams for and u wiil ask him d answer to question 1! Or ur employer reads out ur job description to u, after nodin to signify ur understandin, d next mornin u ask he or she again to read ur job description to u! So u want him to brief those fools when they knw who exactly d shld have summoned! Even if there is a nid to say a few thins out, does this nid to be leaked? Is it the same BH members in d house he should tell strategies and plans to eliminate them? Mumu x 1000000000000000000! Thats if u will understand this one

Now you are definitely showing yourself a MUMU. First you claimed the President should have nothing to do with it and I explained why the summon makes sense given that in Nigeria, the President is in Charge of Security. Instead of acknowledging your mistake, you choose to digress by offering up yet more stupid assumptions(as expected).

Briefing the representatives is akin to briefing Nigerians on the progress of his so called fight against Boko Haram. It has been more than a year since he claims to have been fighting the scourge. In that same period, Boko Haram has moved from being an occasional program to becoming regular place in he minds of Nigerians. The group seems to have gained more power and support in all that time. The house calling on the president to brief the nation on how he exactly he has been fighting this problem that has now earned us a bad name on the international scene, will help not only the house, but Nigerians who are intelligent and understand that this democracy is theirs too, understand if there has really been a fight or not, and where the problems really are and what they can do, if at all, about them.

Education is key! The security of a Nation is never meant to be a SECRET . . . the people should be well aware of what the plans are and if and how they will or might be affected. Jonathan is essentially head of security and having him brief the people on what the heck is going on, is what is called COMMON SENSE . . . get some!
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Beaf: 8:14pm On Jul 04, 2012
DerMeister: Oh boy, attack the clueless gej and this beaf creature comes slithering out from his a.s.s...

This man would prolly be the president with the lowest IQ in the world,add advisers with single digit IQs and the country is doomed to failure!!

So you think questioning the right for the Executive arm to go to court is an attack on GEJ?
You think questioning due process, law and order is an attack on GEJ? Wonders!

Fools really exist!

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by betrani(m): 8:25pm On Jul 04, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Now you are definitely showing yourself a MUMU. First you claimed the President should have nothing to do with it and I explained why the summon makes sense given that in Nigeria, the President is in Charge of Security. Instead of acknowledging your mistake, you choose to digress by offering up yet more stupid assumptions(as expected).

Briefing the representatives is akin to briefing Nigerians on the progress of his so called fight against Boko Haram. It has been more than a year since he claims to have been fighting the scourge. In that same period, Boko Haram has moved from being an occasional program to becoming regular place in he minds of Nigerians. The group seems to have gained more power and support in all that time. The house calling on the president to brief the nation on how he exactly he has been fighting this problem that has now earned us a bad name on the international scene, will help not only the house, but Nigerians who are intelligent and understand that this democracy is theirs too, understand if there has really been a fight or not, and where the problems really are and what they can do, if at all, about them.

Education is key! The security of a Nation is never meant to be a SECRET . . . the people should be well aware of what the plans are and if and how they will or might be affected. Jonathan is essentially head of security and having him brief the people on what the heck is going on, is what is called COMMON SENSE . . . get some!
Really! Common sense u call it! I think ur the one who needs a gumption here! Have u heard of the phrase; "classified information" in security terms? I think u need to get a meanin of that phrase! So u still have d bold mind to ask ur president to go face some clowns whom he has evidence are sponsoring the same violence? I think u need a better research urself!
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Kobojunkie: 8:29pm On Jul 04, 2012
betrani: Really! Common sense u call it! I think ur the one who needs a gumption here! Have u heard of the phrase; "classified information" in security terms? I think u need to get a meanin of that phrase! So u still have d bold mind to ask ur president to go face some clowns whom he has evidence are sponsoring the same violence? I think u need a better research urself!

ROFLMAO!!! You are a slowpoke for real . . . The security of a Nation is CLASSIFIED?? The spending of National money on Security is CLASSIFIED? The activities of our Police and Armed forces . . all Classified? The rationale behind the bungled attempts by the police to "capture" of Boko Haram fighters is CLASSFIED? the The Fight against Boko Haram is CLASSIFIED?? ROFLMAO!!! I can't believe people who are this dense are still being born . . . grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by DerMeister: 8:30pm On Jul 04, 2012
Please crawl back into gej's a.s.s and continue lickin' it or whatever it is you do there! I'm not going to argue with a spambot troll!

gej can't make a single decision without controversy... doesn't he know how the game is played? the man must be a puppet under the control of someone/group of people!
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Ejine(m): 8:32pm On Jul 04, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Thanks for confirming what some of us suspected. . .GEJ is surrounded by Sycophantic Yes Men.

No wonder the dude and has never made any good decision.

Instead of looking at Sokoto for the enemies who want to derail his administration, he should be looking at his shokoto!!

Hey there, hot stuff.
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by felifeli: 8:34pm On Jul 04, 2012
Rere run. smiley
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by OLUWAMETOO: 8:44pm On Jul 04, 2012
if he sues the house....where will d money come from? the members or federal government
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by betrani(m): 8:48pm On Jul 04, 2012
Kobojunkie:

ROFLMAO!!! You are a slowpoke for real . . . The security of a Nation is CLASSIFIED?? The spending of National money on Security is CLASSIFIED? The activities of our Police and Armed forces . . all Classified? The rationale behind the bungled attempts by the police to "capture" of Boko Haram fighters is CLASSFIED? the The Fight against Boko Haram is CLASSIFIED?? ROFLMAO!!! I can't believe people who are this dense are still being born . . . grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Now I knw ur the fool I have been imagining u to be! So u can't differenciate b/w the fundin of the military and para-military from terrorism? So u don't even knw why some countries in the world(north korea, so u don't say u haven't heard) tag there airspace as no-fly zone? Cos they don't wan't u shit heads to come spyin on their ass! If it isn't secret y does ur father hide his affluence? So we won't knw he looted government treasury? Or y do u hide d fact that ur cheatin on ur galfriend from her! These are basic examples block heads like u nid to learn before u get into complex ones like NATiONAL SECURITY!
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Kobojunkie: 8:49pm On Jul 04, 2012
OLUWAMETOO: if he sues the house....where will d money come from? the members or federal government

Hopefully his private pocket abeg . . . these people don milk this nation enough.
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jul 04, 2012
89. (1) For the purposes of any investigation under section 88 of this Constitutional and subject to the provisions thereof, the Senate or the House of Representatives or a committee appointed in accordance with section 62 of this Constitution shall have power to -

(a) procure all such evidence, written or oral, direct or circumstantial, as it may think necessary or desirable, and examine all persons as witnesses whose evidence may be material or relevant to the subject matter;

(b) require such evidence to be given on oath;

(c) summon any person in Nigeria to give evidence at any place or produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, and examine him as a witness and require him to produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, subject to all just exceptions; and

(d) issue a warrant to compel the attendance of any person who, after having been summoned to attend, fails, refuses or neglects to do so and does not excuse such failure, refusal or neglect to the satisfaction of the House or the committee in question, and order him to pay all costs which may have been occasioned in compelling his attendance or by reason of his failure, refusal or neglect to obey the summons, and also to impose such fine as may be prescribed for any such failure, refused or neglect; and any fine so imposed shall be recoverable in the same manner as a fine imposed by a court of law.

(2) A summons or warrant issued under this section may be served or executed by any member of the Nigeria Police Force or by any person authorised in that behalf by the President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House of Representatives, as the case may require.

The above quote is where the NASS derives the power to summon "any person", let's look at "any person":

What happens if "any person" in this above quote for House of Representative is the Senate President or vice versa? Can Tambuwal(House of Reps) order David Mark to appear before him? Is it enforceable? That "any person" even when interpreted loosely is still not applicable to everyone in Nigeria. The supreme court will have to interpret if that "any person" can be applied to the office of president.

It's my opinion that GEJ is not duty bound to appear and can not be compelled to appear before NASS. NASS also does not have the means of enforcing such a resolution. Can they also order CJN to appear? Shunning such an invitation more so when it does not have any precedent can not amount to impeachable offence. SO on technicality of law, GEJ is not duty bound to appear.

I made the above contribution in a similar thread. The only addition I have now is to appreciate the fact that GEJ is taking the right step. Civil litigation in a democracy especially in a renascent one as ours can only help give true meaning to the boundary or limits of powers of each arm of government. There is a reason why we have Supreme Court and is in part to adjudicate on matters of this nature. Let supreme court decides if any person, in this case, is truly the same as everyone.

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by betrani(m): 9:09pm On Jul 04, 2012
bayooooooo:

The above quote is where the NASS derives the power to summon "any person", let's look at "any person":

What happens if "any person" in this above quote for House of Representative is the Senate President or vice versa? Can Tambuwal(House of Reps) order David Mark to appear before him? Is it enforceable? That "any person" even when interpreted loosely is still not applicable to everyone in Nigeria. The supreme court will have to interpret if that "any person" can be applied to the office of president.

It's my opinion that GEJ is not duty bound to appear and can not be compelled to appear before NASS. NASS also does not have the means of enforcing such a resolution. Can they also order CJN to appear? Shunning such an invitation more so when it does not have any precedent can not amount to impeachable offence. SO on technicality of law, GEJ is not duty bound to appear.

I made the above contribution in a similar thread. The only addition I have now is to appreciate the fact that GEJ is taking the right step. Civil litigation in a democracy especially in a renascent one as ours can only help give true meaning to the boundary or limits of powers of each arm of government. There is a reason why we have Supreme Court and is in part to adjudicate on matters of this nature. Let supreme court decides if any person, in this case, is truly the same as everyone.
too much jare! Thumbs-up! Tell it! So some fools like kobojunkie who insist the president must appear before some terrorist, cultist, criminals, robbers, thieves, ritualists, rapist etc in the name of "REPS" abi na "PRES"
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by tpapi: 9:09pm On Jul 04, 2012
People r so gullible on nairaland
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by kennytidistar(m): 9:19pm On Jul 04, 2012
ohbejay]Why he want to them,do you have any hidden agenda go
talk your mouth oooooooooooooooooooooooo why u dey run for them na wa
oooooooooooooooo

just read what you wrote and judge your self. where in the whole universe have you heard house of rep summon a president even america. obama will address the congress and not the congress summon him it sound ridicule and childish to summon a president it is uncalled for. house of rogues and robbers are really silly.
Re: GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 9:27pm On Jul 04, 2012
Why is he affraid 2 show his face?Dis guy is truely a joke.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

President Buhari Signs 2019 Budget Of N8.91trillion / "I Am Not Contesting For Presidency In 2019" - Godswill Akpabio / Heineken Lokpobiri Visits Farmlands In Bayelsa (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.