Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,130 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile (17462 Views)

Jega’s Brother Justice A.A. Jega Who Died In Hajj Stampede (Photo) / Enemies Of Nigeria Also Known As The CABAL (A Profile)- Sahara Reporters 2010 / Mariam Abacha & Mohamadou Bayero Fadil, Her Son-inlaw Pictured Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Nobody: 12:02am On Jul 05, 2012
Meedu: ANOTHER MUPPET MAMA

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by tayo4me(f): 12:03am On Jul 05, 2012
How is this a feather to GEJs cap? Check the provisions of the Constitution pls, before displaying ur ignorance

1 Like

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Beaf: 12:03am On Jul 05, 2012
^
I posted the provisions of the constitution, which I'm sure you never read.
Just hail GEJ and leave wahala, jare!

Kay 17:

Yes, but for the integrity of the judiciary, the convention in courts is to place priority in rank/senority.

Bro, conventions are traditions, not the law. The constitution simply demands a legal practioner of above 15 years, from any field of law and from either the bar or bench.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Musiwa2: 12:04am On Jul 05, 2012
F
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Kay17: 12:05am On Jul 05, 2012
As long as it does not conflict with constitutional provisions. Which it doesn't.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by mbhs139(m): 12:11am On Jul 05, 2012
Musiwa2: you say the most judge become CJN you said. but they get rip of other ethnic group to make sure their ethnic group is the most senior is that fair..

you dont know nigeria. they discriminate so much.. that people notice discrimination even at 6 year old. this is how bad.

I am saying they should break up nigeria. to protect the people.

So, how do you intend to break it up? Syrian style or what? God purnish you!!!
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by luv2talk(m): 12:15am On Jul 05, 2012
Clerverly: Why always North?
Because they are not as greedy as we souther lawyers that wont be contented with Judge's Monthly salary...
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by StellaBella(f): 12:15am On Jul 05, 2012
Beaf:

Like I said above, you guys are simply making up stories to tell. Read my last post above thoroughly. cool
Simply hail GEJ for an action that has taken the nation several civilised steps forward.
Hey Beaf,
How do I see Gej.... I need to show him a thing or two. American style wink
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Nobody: 12:22am On Jul 05, 2012
mitofag:

Why the thing pain you like that? Are you ugly too? Only a ugly person would react the way you did. I am sorry if I struck a nerve . . . Your anger is misplaced. You may have better luck if you directed your anger at God. God, not me, created your ugly self in the image of your ugly parents. Leave me out of your frustrations, abeg. Free me jo

I only replied you in that manner because you are insulting somebody's mother. I am a very handsome man. If you need proof and let nairalanders judge, post your ugly face picture and I will post my. I can swear with my Manhood, that you are Yoruba and inherently ugly. Only a person with a low self esteem will make such an asinine and nescient comment.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by ifihearam: 12:48am On Jul 05, 2012
This is one of the transformation agenda of the president,GEj has added yet another feather to his cap by making an unprecedented appointment of the office of the Chief Justice of Nigeria. I hail you sir.
For those of you saying otherwise,may I remind you that the president may decide the recommendation of the judicial commission and favour another man who the senate have no other option than to comply,pls applaud the presido for this singular action. This man has come to liberate nigerians
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by duno100: 12:50am On Jul 05, 2012
www.rate9ja.com........click an rate government dpts, private and public companies...the website is kinda cool.........put to shame the rubbish people of nigeria....oya start rating and follow us on @rate9ja1 on twitter....oya nah
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by duno100: 12:51am On Jul 05, 2012
www.rate9ja.com click an rate government dpts, private and public companies...the website is kinda cool.........put to shame the rubbish people of nigeria....oya start rating and follow us on @rate9ja1 on twitter....oya nah
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by tayo4me(f): 1:03am On Jul 05, 2012
Beaf: ^
I posted the provisions of the constitution, which I'm sure you never read.
Just hail GEJ and leave wahala, jare!

I can't help but wonder if you are on GEJs payroll! Telling me I've never read the Constitution, when I'm a law student,...you really want to tell me what the constitution says!

Anyone who understands the English Language will know 'he'may also include 'she', so that explains why a woman can be appointed. Didn't ur little brain tell u if that wasn't d case, nd ur precious GEJ appointed a woman, then he will be going against the provisions of the law.

The law provides that the most senior Justice of the Supreme Court ON THE RECOMMENDATION OF THE NJC is appointed by the President subject to the confirmation of the Senate...all three bodies/authorities are involved, so its not the sole power of the President.

No one is saying u shdnt praise GEJ, but pls don't display ur ignorance or be a muppet in d process

4 Likes

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by OAM4J: 1:47am On Jul 05, 2012

This question has been answered before.

It will always go to the North because many Lawyers from the North go for the bench while the ones from the South opt for the bar because there is less money on the bench compare to the bar. Its a case of the South cant eat its cake and have it. The reason you will also find more SANs in the South compare to the North.

Check the list of Nigerian judges, you will find more Northerners on the list.

2 Likes

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Beaf: 1:52am On Jul 05, 2012
tayo4me:

I can't help but wonder if you are on GEJs payroll! Telling me I've never read the Constitution, when I'm a law student,...you really want to tell me what the constitution says!

Anyone who understands the English Language will know 'he'may also include 'she', so that explains why a woman can be appointed. Didn't ur little brain tell u if that wasn't d case, nd ur precious GEJ appointed a woman, then he will be going against the provisions of the law.

The law provides that the most senior Justice of the Supreme Court ON THE RECOMMENDATION OF THE NJC is appointed by the President subject to the confirmation of the Senate...all three bodies/authorities are involved, so its not the sole power of the President.

No one is saying u shdnt praise GEJ, but pls don't display ur ignorance or be a muppet in d process

I would expect a law student who actually attends lectures to be able to employ critical thinking and actually stick to the subject of the argument.
Sorry sis, but what you are displaying here is stup!dity. Nobody cares if you are a law student (or apprentice lawyer, lol!), what we care about is if you understand the damn constitution with enough nous to provide as credible an interpretation as I have.

Here are my arguments against Akainzo's mental limp, together with references to the constitution. Thats what I expect you to counter with reasoned points and nothing else:

Beaf:

Akainzo:

Sorry to bust your bubble, he cannot nominate anybody, the CJN position is achieved by rank, and as of now, she is the most senior justice of the Supreme Court. One day, it would be a feather in GEJ's cap for declaring public holiday on christmas day! grin grin

Though I concede that greatness is being thrust on him as it is happening during his tenure.

Crap argument, dude.
The constitution does not say anywhere that the CJN position is earned by rank.
In fact, to utterly destroy the foundation of your argument, the constitution, Section 231 Sub-section (3) says this:

(3) A person shall not be qualified to hold the office of Chief Justice of Nigeria or a Justice of the Supreme Court, unless he is qualified to practice as a legal practitioner in Nigeria and has been so qualified for a period of not less than fifteen years.

The bit in red nails the sad fact that the post was never considered for women, it has taken GEJ to change that.

Further, it says that it is based on recommendation of the NJC and the agreement of the President and Senate; simply put, both the President and the Senate can veto the NJC until they get the guy they want. To forestall that, nothing stops the President from demanding that the NJC submit a basket of names from which he can pick one.

The President appoints the members of the NJC and exercises power over them (3rd Schedule, B - Council of State, 6v).
Guess what? The Federal Judicial Council (which includes the Attorney General) advises the NJC on recommendations for appointment (3rd Schedule, E - Federal Judicial Service Commission, 6v).

The circle of obfuscation completes itself. Init? Please hail GEJ on his appointment of the first female CJN. cool
In a labyrinthal arrangement, the President simply chooses a CJN, sends the name to the Federal Judicial Service Commission, who "advise" the CJN to recommend the name. The CJN "recommends" the Presidents choice and life goes on. Check out the quote below (3rd Schedule, I - National Judicial Council):

21. The National Judicial Council shall have power to -

(a) recommend to the President from among the list of persons submitted to it by -

(i) the Federal Judicial Service Commission, persons for appointment to the offices of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, the Justices of the Supreme Court, the President and Justices of the Court of Appeal, the Chief Judge and Judges of the Federal High Court, and

Seen? grin
Please hail GEJ wella for appointing the first ever female CJN. History has been made, especially in the battle for womens rights.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by hoyehdiran: 1:52am On Jul 05, 2012
Beaf: Nigeria's first female CJN is yet another feather in GEJ's cap.
I hope she does us proud.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/52676-jonathan-nominates-first-female-cjn.html

DAMN GEJ apologist...wake up 4rm ur slumber dude.. Live a life worthy of emulation

2 Likes

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Beaf: 1:55am On Jul 05, 2012
hoyehdiran:

DAMN GEJ apologist...wake up 4rm ur slumber dude.. Live a life worthy of emulation

DAMN STUP!DITY apologist, you obviously have no brains to argue a point. Where do they find you people? Dugbe market? embarassed
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by MacLovington(m): 2:30am On Jul 05, 2012
ifihearam: This is one of the transformation agenda of the president,GEj has added yet another feather to his cap by making an unprecedented appointment of the office of the Chief Justice of Nigeria. I hail you sir.
For those of you saying otherwise,may I remind you that the president may decide the recommendation of the judicial commission and favour another man who the senate have no other option than to comply,pls applaud the presido for this singular action. This man has come to liberate nigerians

Hahaha! I laugh in boko!

A man held by the balls by boko haram has come to liberate naija. Then Naija's case is really hopeless. A man who dares not even to travel to Borno, Bauchi or any such places because he knows that fear of boko is the beginning mediocrity (in which he wallows). Abeg today is not April fool's day.

Dis GEJ na wa oo. Large swaths of the country he dares not visit. Other places (like royal palaces) he's left waiting till eternity. Sorry state of affairs.

1 Like

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by bakila: 2:33am On Jul 05, 2012
Beaf:

GEJ can nominate any qualified person for the post, but chose to nominate her and give us our first ever female CJN.
My last post contains the letter GEJ sent to the senate. Please read it (and follow through with the relevant sections of the constitution that are quoted).

By the way, why do you think you should see GEJ in her profile, is he her husband or dad?

Ayo Salami is qualified. Oya make GEJ NOMINATE THE MAN MAKE WE SEE.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by MacLovington(m): 2:38am On Jul 05, 2012
bakila:

Ayo Salami is qualified. Oya make GEJ NOMINATE THE MAN MAKE WE SEE.

If Goodluck appoints Ayo Salami, Boko will process him into Halal Salami for their breakfast bread! grin
Granted the man is a bit slow BUT not that slow to dare Boko in his cabinet/Aso Rock.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by bakila: 2:45am On Jul 05, 2012
To answer you, I have always said that the manner in which the CJN is appointed leaves room for marginalization of any part of the country one may choose to. For instance, to prevent someone from the SE from getting to that position, simply ensure that the slot meant for the SE are always filled by elderly justices, who would slways retire (sometimes, as next most senior) before reaching the CJN position.

Congrats to Murkthar, BTW[/quote]
Take a look at how long she has been at the Court of Appeal. Stop tribal rubbish.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by DerMeister: 2:46am On Jul 05, 2012
Why should we "hail" retardeen? cos he appointed a female cjn? big deal... She deserved it and she got it... Kudos to her, meanwhile, the dumbass president and all those who lick his a.s.s should jump off 3rd mainland bridge!

1 Like

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by bakila: 2:50am On Jul 05, 2012
Mariam Alooma Mukthar very beautiful woman, good lawyer too. Those saying she is not beautiful have not seen her in real life. Even at 45 years at the bar she will cause them have errrre..
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by ifechukwue1: 3:08am On Jul 05, 2012
awusa woman wetin she sabi sef she go dia go dey propagate bokoharamism
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by amosy007: 3:54am On Jul 05, 2012
tayo4me:

thats a technical knockout.. No more talking! U said it all
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by tayo4me(f): 5:12am On Jul 05, 2012
Beaf:

I would expect a law student who actually attends lectures to be able to employ critical thinking and actually stick to the subject of the argument.
Sorry sis, but what you are displaying here is stup!dity. Nobody cares if you are a law student (or apprentice lawyer, lol!), what we care about is if you understand the damn constitution with enough nous to provide as credible an interpretation as I have.

Here are my arguments against Akainzo's mental limp, together with references to the constitution. Thats what I expect you to counter with reasoned points and nothing else:

In your mind now, you av said something! I can't waste my time replying AN ADULT who has chosen to be blinded by the actions of a fellow human being nd unnecessarily praise him.

If this is what u consider 'feather to a cap' then I'm really sorry for you!

2 Likes

Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by VolvoS60(m): 5:34am On Jul 05, 2012
Beaf,

undecided

You can't be serious about the constitution excluding women from being appointed as CJN, simply because of the word 'he' used in the relevant section.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Nobody: 5:46am On Jul 05, 2012
because they planned for it, d north systematically transfers judges from state service to federal. While d southerners fight amongst demselves,and bfore u knw it na dem plenty pass.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Ramcie(f): 6:02am On Jul 05, 2012
ifechukwue1: awusa woman wetin she sabi sef she go dia go dey propagate bokoharamism
bigot.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 6:22am On Jul 05, 2012
If u want 2 end northern domination in d field of law,then 4 God sake go and read law in d uni,and stop distorbing us.
Re: Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile by Beaf: 6:23am On Jul 05, 2012
tayo4me:

In your mind now, you av said something! I can't waste my time replying AN ADULT who has chosen to be blinded by the actions of a fellow human being nd unnecessarily praise him.

If this is what u consider 'feather to a cap' then I'm really sorry for you!

All hail the apprentice lawyer! Lol!
My sister, you are too young to have a hating heart. Give praise where it is due (hail GEJ, ma), and come across in arguments like someone who is high minded; afterall, law (which you claim to be studying) is for high minds.

VolvoS60:
Beaf,

undecided

You can't be serious about the constitution excluding women from being appointed as CJN, simply because of the word 'he' used in the relevant section.

The use of the word, "he" in the constitution is patently sexist and an insult to all women and girls.
It only goes to show that the constitution was produced by unwashed Neanderthals and belly crawlers. As the standard for a country, our constitution falls well short, that word "he," in a document that should be gender nuetral, only points to much deeper issues elsewhere (and they are legion).
We are better off ripping the phucking thing to pieces and burning every last piece; it isn't even fit enough to wrap suya with.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sowore, Co-Defendants Have Met Bail Conditions, Will Be Freed Today- Falana / APC Primary: I’m Ready To Serve, Not To Make Money — Tinubu / A Letter To Nigerians In Diaspora

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.