Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,557 members, 7,812,780 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:14 PM

Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? (10821 Views)

How To Process Your Car Tinted Permit Plus My Experience / New Tinted Permit / Permit For Factory Tinted Glass? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by wellheads(m): 3:21pm On Jul 05, 2012
Car gurus, please clarify this for me. If I have a factory fitted tinted glass, do I still need police tint permit?
Or does the fact that it is factory tinted exempt me from police tint permit? Answers needed urgently, please.
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 06, 2012
mr wellheads u actually require one for ur suv
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 06, 2012
yes.

visit the nearest policestation for more info
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Nobody: 8:16am On Jul 07, 2012
what about cars with rear windows factory tinted or just the 3row seats windows and boot(as in crv/pilot)?
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by wellheads(m): 3:56pm On Jul 09, 2012
Na wa o! But thanks farayolas and toba
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Birmingham(m): 5:01pm On Jul 09, 2012
If you really need tinted permit as it is the prerequisite to drive both factory or customerized tinted glass, especially this period of insecurity climax, inbox me on nedu4@yahoo.com.
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by tjskii(f): 5:06pm On Jul 09, 2012
Yes o, Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ need a permit,tried to do stronghead and not get,but tis lik those police peopl dey use jazz know who no get,they always stopd me,mine were factory tinted only at the rear windows,stil had to cough up bout 25k to get a permit,and sinc den not a single officer has stoped me,tis so annoying

1 Like

Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by nissparts(m): 5:12pm On Jul 09, 2012
I know this would sound funny but for 3 years in a row I only got stopped 3 times by police officers.
These 3 times were when my car papers had expired for all 3 years.
Jazz!

2 Likes

Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by halfcurrent(m): 5:22pm On Jul 09, 2012
tjskii: Yes o, Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ need a permit,tried to do stronghead and not get,but tis lik those police peopl dey use jazz know who no get,they always stopd me,mine were factory tinted only at the rear windows,stil had to cough up bout 25k to get a permit,and sinc den not a single officer has stoped me,tis so annoying

Spot on!! You are very correct indeed. I dont know how they get to know who dont have...lol
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Ekans: 5:26pm On Jul 09, 2012
Poster,yes you need a tint permit.Just go to the nearest state police command office and apply for one.
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Tstark(m): 5:31pm On Jul 09, 2012
You DO NOT need a permit if its "factory fitted". There's a post on Nairaland that has the press release from the Commisioner of police [or whoever made the rule last year]. Just print out the press release and show it to the cops when they stop you. I carry one around with me always, but make sure its actually factory fitted cos they know how to test it.

1 Like

Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by bambash(m): 5:35pm On Jul 09, 2012
But is it all kinds of tint that requires a permit or just those that are really dark and prevent people from seeing the inside of a vehicle.
I am asking this because I just had a very light tint applied to my car and if I get stopped for it I plan to give the police hell.
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by thomasjohn: 5:39pm On Jul 09, 2012
bambash: But is it all kinds of tint that requires a permit or just those that are really dark and prevent people from seeing the inside of a vehicle.
I am asking this because I just had a very light tint applied to my car and if I get stopped for it I plan to give the police hell.
Lmao,u plan to give d police hell?
Goodluck
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 09, 2012
yes, you need the permit. mine is factory fitted too and i've been using it for long, just last week i was stopped at a military check-point. i composed my self well with good grammar and they gently ordered me to remove it or get the permit.
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by evryday: 5:47pm On Jul 09, 2012
Guy, you don't need tinted permit any more under the new ac.igp provided it's factory fitted.Presently, issuance of tinted permit has been discontinued by the npf.Consequently,it's against the law for you to tint your car except you belong to any of these classes of citizens,the president and his vice,the senate p,the speaker and their deputies,state governors and their deputies etc.finally,even ministers,speakers of state assemblies,local govt chairmen are not permitted to tint their cars ,except just like the ones used by all of us,its factory tinted.In that regards however,the two front door glasses must be transparent.In fact,if you are caught with tinted permit issued wihtin the last six months or more,you will be arrested because,evidently,it's a fake document.Best regards bro.

1 Like

Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by bambash(m): 5:47pm On Jul 09, 2012
Na wa o, if giving the police hell is not a good idea, I had better start praying for Nissparts kind of luck cos I sure won't be going for a permit.
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Skii(m): 5:51pm On Jul 09, 2012
Tstark: You DO NOT need a permit if its "factory fitted". There's a post on Nairaland that has the press release from the Commisioner of police [or whoever made the rule last year]. Just print out the press release and show it to the cops when they stop you. I carry one around with me always, but make sure its actually factory fitted cos they know how to test it.

Hi Tony, don't know what you doing around here in Nigeria hustling among us on our roads with the Nigeria Police force who keep making driving miserable with their ever inventive ways to extort money. Whats up in New York?

Anyway, I know you are probably busy but could u please make available that press release? Better still tell Jarvis to scan it and upload it...

Cheers grin grin
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by renzie: 5:59pm On Jul 09, 2012
evryday: Guy, you don't need tinted permit any more under the new ac.igp provided it's factory fitted.Presently, issuance of tinted permit has been discontinued by the npf.Consequently,it's against the law for you to tint your car except you belong to any of these classes of citizens,the president and his vice,the senate p,the speaker and their deputies,state governors and their deputies etc.finally,even ministers,speakers of state assemblies,local govt chairmen are not permitted to tint their cars ,except just like the ones used by all of us,its factory tinted.In that regards however,the two front door glasses must be transparent.In fact,if you are caught with tinted permit issued wihtin the last six months or more,you will be arrested because,evidently,it's a fake document.Best regards bro.
. Thanks a lot for dis information, i almost went for a permit 2 months ago.
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by FindOut(m): 6:06pm On Jul 09, 2012
To the best of my knowledge, a permit is NOT necessary for factory tints. Or else, all Toyota Sienna, Honda Oddysey, many SUVs owners would have to obtain the permit & thats a lot of people. Too many people. That said, a close family member has been driving an SUV with factory tinted rear windows for almost 3 years now & hasnt run into trouble with the men in black over the issue. He simply points out that its factory tinted, rolls down the glass so they can see the tip properly to prove it to them & is allowed to go.

Tho, if Naija police/FRSC wan delay or extort you, they can almost ask you for your international passport sef.lol. *kiddin o*, but they can ask for anything.
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 09, 2012
@tstark and evryday, u actually need a tinted permit even if it is factory fitted. Infact the only permit u need is for factory fitted. Non factory fitted don't need a permit And should be removed from the car. U need an arbitrator to explain it to u if u don't understand it better. If u have not been caught thank God for the grace.but I will advice u go get urs fast.
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by t2luv: 7:10pm On Jul 09, 2012
991: yes, you need the permit. mine is factory fitted too and i've been using it for long, just last week i was stopped at a military check-point. i composed my self well with good grammar and they gently ordered me to remove it or get the permit.

If you can removed it. It wasn't factory tinted. It was installed by the previous owner aftermarket.
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Tstark(m): 7:10pm On Jul 09, 2012
Read the 2 comments above yours [from evryday], you will see that you do NOT need a permit for a factory fitted tint. Even the police know this but they will actually use your ignorance against you if they know that you dont know the law. A lot of you that are saying you need a tint don't actually know the law, even some of the policemen didnt know it until i actually showed them the press realease- trust me, i have been stopped numerous times with my factory tint and didnt spend more that 10 mins with them before being sent on my way.
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by evryday: 7:54pm On Jul 09, 2012
Tanks bro, you captured it correctly.The npf actually play on peoples ignorance.Though genuinely,its possible many police officers are not well informed about this policy change,hence numerous embarrassing encounters with members of the public.For the records,factory tinted,does not require any permit,it has been suspended indefinitely.It's also against the law for you to tint,muchless getting permission to use same.Bros,be wise.Regards

1 Like

Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by FYsol: 9:10pm On Jul 09, 2012
Bros i have been driving factory fitted tinted glass for 2yrs and police never stopped me because they know i dont need a permit.
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Jeejile: 10:01pm On Jul 09, 2012
If the law enforcement agents stops you, ask them to remove the tint for you.
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:22pm On Jul 09, 2012
wellheads: Car gurus, please clarify this for me. If I have a factory fitted tinted glass, do I still need police tint permit?
Or does the fact that it is factory tinted exempt me from police tint permit? Answers needed urgently, please.

it depends on few various things

if the factory fitted are back windows in most countries they aint a problem becoz the manufacturer stick to government legal limit

the problems comes to the front one i.e drivers and passengers, in uk there is measurement of light they require to penetrate those tint if it is below the measurement it meant you will wont be able to see many thing

so all you need to know what they call the legal type of tint there is always one unless there is not allowed all

most put them without knowing the legal limit of the darkness it gives to the drivers window and passengers window becoz the driver use both windows for observation when driving there should a certain level of light for the driver to se properly

1 Like

Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Dammy68(f): 11:02pm On Jul 09, 2012
My bro u need it sir either factory fitted or not. Cal me on 08023272331 for clarification
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by nissparts(m): 11:14am On Jul 10, 2012
What confusion
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by wellheads(m): 12:33pm On Jul 10, 2012
@Tstark: Kindly help us with the police publication on this subject matter. You may scan and attach it for download or we can provide our e-mails if ypu so wish.

Please help brothers in need of it.

Regards
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by aniyphil: 6:09pm On Jul 10, 2012
evryday: Guy, you don't need tinted permit any more under the new ac.igp provided it's factory fitted.Presently, issuance of tinted permit has been discontinued by the npf.Consequently,it's against the law for you to tint your car except you belong to any of these classes of citizens,the president and his vice,the senate p,the speaker and their deputies,state governors and their deputies etc.finally,even ministers,speakers of state assemblies,local govt chairmen are not permitted to tint their cars ,except just like the ones used by all of us,its factory tinted.In that regards however,the two front door glasses must be transparent.In fact,if you are caught with tinted permit issued wihtin the last six months or more,you will be arrested because,evidently,it's a fake document.Best regards bro.

Very true. If you own a car with factory tinted glass, all you need is this publication on exemption I have attached here, but if yours is not factory tinted then you need to take it off. Clear??

2 Likes

Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Osama10(m): 6:59pm On Jul 11, 2012
^^^^^^^

Says it all. cool
Re: Do Factory-Tinted Cars Need Tint Permits? by Skii(m): 10:46pm On Jul 11, 2012
May God bless you @aniyphil, this was what I told @tstark to do, guess he didnt get the joke..anyways may God bless @Tstark too, and Iron Man, and Jarvis and ME, and us all that ply Nigerian road ways with factory tinted glasses but still have to endure the Nigeria police

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Advise, Drivers Licence Not Ready Since February / 7 Major Vehicle Safety Features You Cannot Do Without / Buy Innoson Vehicles. 100% Made In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.