Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,149 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Formatting An External Drive: Help! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Formatting An External Drive: Help! (701 Views)

Can My Wireless Keyboard Work With My Pc Without Using An External Receiver? / The Best External Drive / Formatting My Ipod Shuffle (Apple 1Gb Drive) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Formatting An External Drive: Help! by lynxnoon(m): 1:29pm On Dec 02, 2007
Hi guys
I installed obuntu in my external drive and since then win xp doesnt recognize the drive and on the other partition for obuntu recognizes it but i cant edit files on it. Now since i have obuntu on my system i want to format the external disk in other to store files and stuff on it
I will be grateful if anyone can help
Thanks smiley smiley
Re: Formatting An External Drive: Help! by Ralvy(m): 5:09pm On Dec 02, 2007
@Lynxmoon:
Long time, u didnt call me after that day, although - ma Phone has been acting strange!
Anyway, its nice to know u are getting into Linux. smiley

Concerning your problem, I think u used the entire HDD to install Ubuntu and ubuntu used a file system type that Windows does not recognise for now. That is normal and happens to every HDD. The file system type could be ext3 or ext2!
You can google to see more. wink

For you to see your Linux partitions, u need to install FS driver which can be found here
I will advice you to post your problems on a Linux forum instead of Nairaland where almost everyone uses Windows. Although, that should change with time grin

We also have a blog that has Guides on how to get around minor problems you may experience on Ubuntu Linux.

You can visit these forums,

ubuntuforums

linuxforums

This is a direct link to download the ext2 driver for Windows

I hope this solves your problem.
Feel free to call anytime.

[email=geezlenator@gmail.com]Or E-mail me[/email]
Re: Formatting An External Drive: Help! by Ralvy(m): 7:10pm On Dec 02, 2007
One more thing smiley
Plug in the external Hard Disk Drive when Installing as you will have to allocate a drive letter to the ext2 partition!

Feel free using Linux, Share the Power of Open Source wink
Re: Formatting An External Drive: Help! by lynxnoon(m): 10:48pm On Dec 02, 2007
smiley smileyRalvy u d man!!
Sori i didnt call u afta dat day Tried calling 2ce but netwk was bad and also bin busy at wok
Thanx alot for always responding to my "distress calls"
I will try out wat u said & get bak 2 u
Cheers smiley smiley
Re: Formatting An External Drive: Help! by Ralvy(m): 9:56am On Dec 03, 2007
Your Welcome smiley
Re: Formatting An External Drive: Help! by lynxnoon(m): 11:23pm On Dec 05, 2007
@Ralvy,
cheesy :DMen, thank a million!!!
i've formatted d drive and now storing stuff on it
Thanks 1ce again.
I called Bigbrovar to ask about d ubuntu ultimate cd but was told he wasn't around and to call later. I've beeen quite busy and have not bin able 2 call again; will try 2morow, can't wait 2 stat using d ULTIMATE
, just wondering, is GUSTY GIBBON beta dan UBUNTU ULTIMATE?

(1) (Reply)

Can I Use Mercury Board Computer For Music Production? / I Need A Help / Create Autorun Cd Your Self

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.