Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,488 members, 7,826,841 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) (5198 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by MrAnony1(m): 3:21pm On Jul 06, 2012
cyrexx: @Mr Anony,

no need to use such language on me.

just highlight the errors in my post if there is any.

should i take it that you prefer to attack the person of the post when you cannot successfully prove wrong the logic in the post

when has wearing clothes been comparable to rejection or acceptance of a religion. what are the eternal punishment for wearing different colour of clothes. explain further if you think your logical reasoning is sound in this case

i refuse to take offence at your personal attack but can you please attack my posts and not my person.

The person I attacked in my last post (and with reason) was logicboy and not you. I did not attack your person, I attacked your post. We are not arguing on the contents or the nature of beliefs but on the possession of beliefs. I that sense, the parallel of of theism/atheism vs clothing/[i]n[/i]akedness and home/homelessness (by InesQor) are on point. If you really can't see the folly of your argument, then I really can't help you.
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by logicboy01: 3:22pm On Jul 06, 2012
Sorry, Macdaddy is my other account for the Islam section
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by cyrexx: 3:28pm On Jul 06, 2012
tobechi74: Cyrex, i got it.

I hav been wandering.

May be every religion serve one God. But in diffrent ways.due to diffrent messangers with diffrent intepretation.
MAY BE

ALLAH = GOD

every religion CANNOT serve one single Almighty God as each religion has different and irreconciliable conceptualization for each of their Almighty God.
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by MrAnony1(m): 3:34pm On Jul 06, 2012
MacDaddy01:

I actually like you too. You make good points when arguing. However, I think your analogy doesnt fit with the issue. The atheists is saying that the theist doesnt believe in other gods for the same reason the atheist doesnt believe in the theist's god. A nudist man doesnt wear clothes because he dislikes conformity. A man wearing black doesnt wear green out of choice.
Actually, last time I checked, religion was a choice and people have been known to change religions and turn atheist and turn religious again. Also cloth-wearers have been known to change clothes and go [i]n[/i]ude. I believe my analogy parallels cyrexx's

A better analogy is; a Teetotaler (one who doesnt drink) telling an alcholic that the alcoholic doesnt take other recreational drugs for the same teason the teetotaler doesnt drink alcohol.
Still the same thing, The argument is still lacking any logical sense. It creates false binaries. Especially hen the Teetotaler says we are all Teetotalers, I am Teetotaler to alcohol s you are teetotaler to drugs. This rubbishes the meaning of the word "teetotaler".
Please this is so basic, I really can't believe I am having to explain it.

MacDaddy01: Ad hominem much?
Yeah I know, I did that on purpose
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by cyrexx: 3:43pm On Jul 06, 2012
Mr_Anony:
If you really can't see the folly of your argument, then I really can't help you.

LOL.

i'm just expressing my beliefs based on REASON and LOGIC, which may look foolish to you.
exactly the way your SUPERSTITIOUS beliefs look foolish to me.

this is a public forum, we dont have to agree on every issue. thats a fact.
so dont think you are unable to help me if you cannot convince me to believe your unfounded superstitions

Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by MrAnony1(m): 3:57pm On Jul 06, 2012
cyrexx:

LOL.

i'm just expressing my beliefs based on REASON and LOGIC, which may look foolish to you.
exactly the way your SUPERSTITIOUS beliefs look foolish to me.

this is a public forum, we dont have to agree on every issue. thats a fact.
so dont think you are unable to help me if you cannot convince me to believe your unfounded superstitions
So your argument on this thread is an example of your "reason and logic". You don fall my hand. SMH
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by cyrexx: 4:05pm On Jul 06, 2012
Mr_Anony:
So your argument on this thread is an example of your "reason and logic". You don fall my hand. SMH

yes o.

cool cool cool cool
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 06, 2012
Really confusing thread... God, teetotalers, Israel, Europe, Morocco.. grin
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by cyrexx: 4:44pm On Jul 06, 2012
musKeeto: Really confusing thread... God, teetotalers, Israel, Europe, Morocco.. grin

beware lest they attack you for equating their God with teetotalers, Israel, Europe, Morocco

grin grin grin grin
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by MacDaddy01: 5:22pm On Jul 06, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Actually, last time I checked, religion was a choice and people have been known to change religions and turn atheist and turn religious again. Also cloth-wearers have been known to change clothes and go [i]n[/i]ude. I believe my analogy parallels cyrexx's

A nudist is a non-conformist. All clothed people wear clothes because they conform to the idea that one should not be naked as it is not civil. Te green shirt man and the red shirt man wear clothes for the same basic reason. However, the nudist doesnt share their reason. This is not like atheism and christianity and Paganism. The atheist disbelieves in God for the same reason that a christian doesn believe in Pagan gods or pagans dont believe in the christian god.

Mr_Anony:
Still the same thing, The argument is still lacking any logical sense. It creates false binaries. Especially hen the Teetotaler says we are all Teetotalers, I am Teetotaler to alcohol s you are teetotaler to drugs. This rubbishes the meaning of the word "teetotaler".
Please this is so basic, I really can't believe I am having to explain it.

You made my argument for me. It doesnt rubbish the logic. If someone told you that he is a teetatoler to ganja/weed, you would understand the meaning. If a christian says that he is atheistic towards Zeus, you would understand the logic. So shut up, you have been pawned
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by cyrexx: 5:36pm On Jul 06, 2012
MacDaddy01:
[size=14pt]The atheist disbelieves in Christian God for the same reason that a Christian doesn't believe in Pagan Gods or Pagans dont believe in the Christian God.[/size]
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by mazaje(m): 5:51pm On Jul 06, 2012
InesQor:

This is like saying:

We're all homeless; a tramp only has one less house than you do.

Does this make sense to you?

This analogy is completly senseless. . .Firstly, we are NOT all homeless, and even if we are, nobody is claiming his/her homelessness to be true while another person's homelessness to be false, but YOU as a person believe in just one god out of the many that exist while claiming that all the other gods do not exist. . .You completely disbelieve in the existence of allah and vishu for example but believe in yahweh. . .How then does that compare to we are all homeless nonsense you dropped here . . .If you have to make analogies make analogies that make sense pls. . .
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by MrAnony1(m): 8:22pm On Jul 06, 2012
MacDaddy01:

A nudist is a non-conformist. All clothed people wear clothes because they conform to the idea that one should not be naked as it is not civil. Te green shirt man and the red shirt man wear clothes for the same basic reason. However, the nudist doesnt share their reason. This is not like atheism and christianity and Paganism. The atheist disbelieves in God for the same reason that a christian doesn believe in Pagan gods or pagans dont believe in the christian god.
Strawman, Nudity as a philosophy is completely diferent from [i]n[/i]akedness as a state of being. Please stay in focus.

MacDaddy01:
You made my argument for me. It doesnt rubbish the logic. If someone told you that he is a teetatoler to ganja/weed, you would understand the meaning. If a christian says that he is atheistic towards Zeus, you would understand the logic. So shut up, you have been pawned
Wrong a teetotaler has a specific definition. you are simply misusing the word to excuse poor logic. Perhaps instead of say I'm a vegan I may as well say I'm a teetotaler towards meat. Please expose nonsense for what it is!

Anyway,@cyrexx, mazaje and macdaddy. It is interesting how you guys all bond together to defend an obviously silly statement. The unity in your atheist faith religion cult brotherhood is adorable.
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by mazaje(m): 8:26pm On Jul 06, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Anyway,@cyrexx, mazaje and macdaddy. It is interesting how you guys all bond together to defend an obviously silly statement. The unity in your atheist faith religion cult brotherhood is adorable.

What is silly in the statement?. . .Do you not disbelieve in the existence of other gods?. . .
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by MrAnony1(m): 8:32pm On Jul 06, 2012
mazaje:

What is silly in the statement?. . .Do you not disbelieve in the existence of other gods?. . .
No I believe in one God.

1.Define an atheist.

2. Define a theist.
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by mazaje(m): 8:48pm On Jul 06, 2012
Mr_Anony:
No I believe in one God.

1.Define an atheist.

2. Define a theist.

Atheist: A person that disbelieves in the existence of god(s)
Theist: A person that believes in the existence of one or more gods.
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by cyrexx: 8:50pm On Jul 06, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Anyway,@cyrexx, mazaje and macdaddy. It is interesting how you guys all bond together to defend an obviously silly statement. The unity in your atheist brotherhood is adorable.

and you think its not silly when your people bond together to peddle their religious nonsense.

Its funny how you close your eyes to reality and see only what you want to see.

Incase you dont know, its impolite to call someone's statement as silly as a last resort when you fail in your attempts to prove the "silliness" of that statement.

I dont know if its your religious training or whatever but you christians somehow feel its normal when you insult people who points out the contrary views to your faith. And you feel persecuted when those same insults are returned to you.
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by logicboy01: 8:55pm On Jul 06, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Strawman, Nudity as a philosophy is completely diferent from [i]n[/i]akedness as a state of being. Please stay in focus.

What are you talking about?? We are talking about a naked person talking to a clothed person. Other than being a nudist what is a sane reason for being naked with other clothed people.

Nudity is not a strawman. You were defeated on the point and now you're grasping at straws

Mr_Anony:
Wrong a teetotaler has a specific definition. you are simply misusing the word to excuse poor logic. Perhaps instead of say I'm a vegan I may as well say I'm a teetotaler towards meat. Please expose nonsense for what it is!

Poor logic? It is irrelevant if "teetotaler" has a specific definition, the logic behind saying that someone is a teetotaler towards drugs is clear and understandable. It clearly means that the person doesnt take drugs. This is the same logic behing saying that christians are atheists towards pagan gods.

If you want to go down the route of "meaning", then people should stop saying; "I want to hoover the floor"- Hoover is a specific type of vacuum cleaner. The logic and understanding is clear but the meaning of the word hoover is "misused".
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by MrAnony1(m): 8:59pm On Jul 06, 2012
mazaje:

Atheist: A person that disbelieves in the existence of god(s)
Theist: A person that believes in the existence of one or more gods.

Good now based on your definitions, does this statement make sense?

Christians are technically atheist. Yes such an argument can be made. Christians are naturally theists as they have their own God but they are atheists towards other gods like thor, odin, zeus, allah etc.
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by mazaje(m): 9:02pm On Jul 06, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Good now based on your definitions, does this statement make sense?

Yes it does based on the fact that as a christian you believe in the existence of ONLY one god and disbelieve in the existence of all the other gods like allah, vishnu etc. . . .Do you believe that vishnu exist as god on the same level with your christian god?. . .
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by cyrexx: 9:06pm On Jul 06, 2012
This is my third time of repeating this statement, but i hope i wont have to repeat it again.

cyrexx:
LOL,
i choose that headline purposely to make an impression.
Of course, i know that atheists are not christians and vice versa.

I am only showing you why christian's rejection of other faiths and religions is so similar and equivalent to atheist's rejection of the christian faith and religions in general.

Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by MrAnony1(m): 9:17pm On Jul 06, 2012
mazaje:

Yes it does based on the fact that as a christian you believe in the existence of ONLY one god and disbelieve in the existence of all the other gods like allah, vishnu etc. . . .Do you believe that vishnu exist as god on the same level with your christian god?. . .

Let me help you a bit more by inserting your definitions in the sentence

Christians technically do not believe in any God. Yes such an argument can be made. Christians naturally believe in the existence of a God as they have their own God but they do not believe in any God towards other gods like thor, odin, zeus, allah etc.

Parallel statement: Mazage is a vegan, he doesn't eat meat. Yes such an argument can be made. Mazage naturally eats chicken but he is a vegan i.e. doesn't eat meat to beef, fish, pork e.t.c
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by mazaje(m): 9:30pm On Jul 06, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Let me help you a bit more by inserting your definitions in the sentence

Christians technically do not believe in any God. Yes such an argument can be made. Christians naturally believe in the existence of a God as they have their own God but they do not believe in any God towards other gods like thor, odin, zeus, allah etc.

Parallel statement: Mazage is a vegan, he doesn't eat meat. Yes such an argument can be made. Mazage naturally eats chicken but he is a vegan i.e. doesn't eat meat to beef, fish, pork e.t.c

smiley. . . .I don't really know what you are on about but lets leave it here for today. . .I am going out to have fun. . . wink
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by MrAnony1(m): 9:47pm On Jul 06, 2012
mazaje:

smiley. . . .I don't really know what you are on about but lets leave it here for today. . .I am going out to have fun. . . wink
Wow you still don't get it? Anyway ok man let's adjourn. Enjoy yourself smiley
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by InesQor(m): 10:46pm On Jul 06, 2012
mazaje:

This analogy is completly senseless. . .Firstly, we are NOT all homeless, and even if we are, nobody is claiming his/her homelessness to be true while another person's homelessness to be false, but YOU as a person believe in just one god out of the many that exist while claiming that all the other gods do not exist. . .You completely disbelieve in the existence of allah and vishu for example but believe in yahweh. . .How then does that compare to we are all homeless nonsense you dropped here . . .If you have to make analogies make analogies that make sense pls. . .

Coming from mazaje, this is utterly disappointing.

Firstly, we are NOT all homeless
shocked You don't mean it?!! But according to this thread we are all homeless naa! Some just have one or two houses more than the others grin cheesy

I really refuse to believe that you cannot see the senselessness in the statement "We are all atheists" and the spurious logic used to defend it.

Have it your way, man.
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by Nobody: 3:26am On Jul 07, 2012
cyrexx: I submit to you that each and everyone of us are atheists. Yes, its true and I will show you.

. . When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible Gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

I just need to point out some logical inconsistencies as a result of the highlighted phrase. If you had limited your arguments to monotheists alone, it would have made a little sense, although that would also make it self-destruct. WATCH THE DRAMA!

cyrexx: I just believe in ONLY ONE LESS GOD than you do.
ME: I want you to read Cyrexx' post and tell me what you think of him.
PANTHEIST: OK
PANTHEIST: I believe in an infinite number of gods. That means he believes in how many gods? Lemme Calculate.
*** Calculates: Infinity - 1 = Infinity ***
PANTHEIST: That makes him a pantheist like me
ME: Yes
PANTHEIST: But he says he is an atheist, how come he has as many deities as I have?
ME:

cyrexx: We both disbelieved the same number of many other Gods, I only exceeded you by just a single one of them
ME: How many gods do you disbelieve?
PANTHEIST: None
ME: Calculate the number of gods he believes.
PANTHEIST: Since I disbelieve no god, that means he disbelieves 0 + 1 = 1 god
PANTHEIST: That means he believes in how many god's? Lemme Calculate.
*** Calculates: Infinity - 1 = Infinity ***
PANTHEIST: That makes him a pantheist like me
ME: Yes
PANTHEIST: But he says he's an atheist, how come he has as many deities as I have?
ME:

DEDUCTION: An atheist tries to prove that I am an atheist by saying he is a pantheist. What is the sense in that?
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by cyrexx: 6:31am On Jul 07, 2012
@1supremo,

I am not addressing pantheists, but christians and muslims, otherwise refered to as monotheistic religionists.
replace musilm/christian in your in your conversation with pantheists and re-run your analysis again to see the perfect sense it makes.

since you choose to ignore my earlier statement that address this erroneous analysis of yours, let me shout it again for the fourth time
cyrexx:
[size=13pt]i choose that headline purposely to make an impression.
Of course, i know that atheists are not christians and vice versa.

I am only showing you why christian's rejection of other faiths and religions is so similar and equivalent to atheist's rejection of the christian faith and religions in general.[/size]
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by thehomer: 7:39am On Jul 07, 2012
InesQor:

Coming from mazaje, this is utterly disappointing.

shocked You don't mean it?!! But according to this thread we are all homeless naa! Some just have one or two houses more than the others grin cheesy

I really refuse to believe that you cannot see the senselessness in the statement "We are all atheists" and the spurious logic used to defend it.

Have it your way, man.

Actually, the analogy is a very poor one. To make it clearer, why don't you consider the quote in full? Here it is below.

Richard Dawkins:
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

Now to compare it to houses, the quote would be: We are all homeless most of the time, some of us just lack one more house.
The problem is that we are not all homeless most of the time. In fact, more people have homes than are [url=http://books.google.com.ng/books?id=q-PgHH8TJi8C&pg=PA421&lpg=PA421&dq=homelessness+in+Nigeria&source=bl&ots=Bj2SILVc6q&sig=WV8ZfqJmtoUaycvsCnWdhKibNtE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Btj3T5SqN4mT0QWukOCzBw&ved=0CGAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=homelessness%20in%20Nigeria&f=false]homeless[/url] even in Nigeria.
But, it is actually true that most of us don't believe in the Gods of other religions and even the Gods of our ancestors.

The point of this quote is to show that the reasons for rejecting the beliefs in those other Gods are the same reasons for rejecting the one God that the Christian believes in.

Thus the house analogy cannot be extended to show the main point of the quote making the analogy even worse.
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by cyrexx: 7:52am On Jul 07, 2012
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by cyrexx: 7:53am On Jul 07, 2012
@ thehomer,

welldone and thank you for your further clarification.

actually the post is clear enough for any reasoning mind,
its just that the religious folks love to play the foul card of attacking a person when they fail in their crusade to offer sensible counter-argument and refutation to the person's statement of truth.
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by Enigma(m): 8:24am On Jul 07, 2012
thehomer:
Actually, the analogy is a very poor one. To make it clearer, why don't you consider the quote in full? Here it is below.

Richard Dawkins:
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

. . . .

Na so. Who's fooling who? Cf. the Stephen Roberts quote already quoted on the previous page of this very thread https://www.nairaland.com/982965/reasons-why-all-atheists#11345181

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

EDIT In fact and also compare to opening post:

cyrexx: I submit to you that each and everyone of us are atheists. Yes, its true and I will show you.

I just believe in ONLY ONE LESS GOD than you do. We both disbelieved the same number of many other Gods, I only exceeded you by just a single one of them. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible Gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

Anyway whether it is the Roberts one or the Dawkins one the statement is as idiotic as idiotic does. It can only make sense if made in jest ---- but the two fools (or their "uncritical" followers) do not seem to be "jesting" --- I guess they are not court jesters. smiley

cool
Re: Similarities Between Atheism and Monotheistic Religions (Islam and Christianity) by thehomer: 8:30am On Jul 07, 2012
Enigma:

Na so. Who's fooling who? Cf. the Stephen Roberts quote already quoted on the previous page of this very thread https://www.nairaland.com/982965/reasons-why-all-atheists#11345181

Anyway whether it is the Roberts one or the Dawkins one the statement is as idiotic as idiotic does. It can only make sense if made in jest ---- but the two fools (or their "uncritical" followers) do not seem to be "jesting" --- I guess they are not court jesters. smiley

cool

Okay so it was Stephen Roberts who made the complete quote. I hadn't gone through the entire thread but I notice that rather than actually offering a rebuttal, you just want to fling your faeces all over the place. You're really manifesting the features of our lowly origins while most of us have moved on.

Next time, at least try to exercise your brain a bit and offer a rebuttal.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Mass - An in-depth analysis and shocking revelation / Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems / Eight Similarities Between Christian Religion And Traditional Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.