Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,796 members, 7,956,044 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:19 PM

Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting (19138 Views)

9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. / Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by xyoung: 6:19am On Jul 06, 2012
When I flash back, I remb many strange things I did out of desperation to get a job
1..Walking the whole of transamadi industrial layout with 100 copies of my CV
2..Entering overnight bus from lagos and phc for an apt test; the bus broke down in alele wit 1hour b4 d start of the test
3..Walking the whole of adeola odeku/ikoyi with 50 CV
4..Did some gatecrashing
Mehn I really hustled
How did yours go??

3 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by chrome1(m): 5:42pm On Jul 06, 2012
I have done more than this and am still doing them.

3 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by chineds(m): 8:15pm On Jul 06, 2012
acting as if you are making a phone call while you read and memorize addresses and contact numbers of job posts along major highways. It was not easy...

41 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Caracta(f): 8:19pm On Jul 06, 2012
Na wa o...
I think this thread can encourage those facing the 'job challenge'
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by logica(m): 8:22pm On Jul 06, 2012
xyoung: When I flash back, I remb many strange things I did out of desperation to get a job
1..Walking the whole of transamadi industrial layout with 100 copies of my CV
2..Entering overnight bus from lagos and phc for an apt test; the bus broke down in alele wit 1hour b4 d start of the test
3..Walking the whole of adeola odeku/ikoyi with 50 CV
4..Did some gatecrashing
Mehn I really hustled
How did yours go??
Believe it or not, these so called "crazy" things are done by job seekers EVEN in the United States (both physically and online). Nothing special. I must have sent at least 100,000 copies of my resume over a year period when I just got to the US (yes the economy was that hard and I had to find a side job while I searched for the job fitting my skill-sets). And I knew I wasn't the only one - a dude who got there ahead of me by at least 5 years said he had to do the same. Most good things don't come easy: if it does come easy, watch out for the catch.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by JojoArmani(m): 8:29pm On Jul 06, 2012
God!! Dis thread is really scares me. God abeg O o I dont want to go through all dis while searching for Job.

2 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by alaoeri: 8:30pm On Jul 06, 2012
*Calling customer care.
*walking through ogba industrial layout/ikeja/apapa/highland and even agbara for ogun state can't even recall some places.
Those born with sliver spoon doesn't know what God has done for them.

7 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by lefolksy(f): 8:31pm On Jul 06, 2012
My dear getting a job n tis country is like going 2 hell n cmng back,I travelled frm abuja 2 owerri 2 see my pple,I was clled n abuja 4 an aptid exam which was 2 hold d following day,spend my last cash 2 buy a flight ticket,my dear I'm still lookng 4 a job.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by ozoebuka1(m): 8:34pm On Jul 06, 2012
chineds: acting as if you are making a phone call while you read and memorize addresses and contact numbers of job posts along major highways. It was not easy...
imao... lwkmd.. i like your post oo.hahaha

2 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Afam4eva(m): 8:35pm On Jul 06, 2012
Nice thread.

Just subscribing.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by logica(m): 8:35pm On Jul 06, 2012
Here is a question for those still searching for jobs - are you doing something on the side? Are you also trying to improve yourself in anyway to be more attractive to employers? And finally, are you also looking at ways you can possibly employ yourself?

4 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by GboyegaD(m): 8:37pm On Jul 06, 2012
Walking all the way from Ligali Ayorinde to Onikan just because I ran out of cash. In the long run, it paid because I submitted my CV to Zenith, GTBank and Access on that day and I got the job. Zenith called me 3days after inviting me for the test and within 9days of submission, I scaled through the 1st interview however, I was told I would have to wait until I get my "To whom it may concern" because it was barely 2weeks after I left school before I could proceed but thank God for Access Bank, the test and interviews were all within a week of when I was called for test and I resumed training school without my To whom it may Concern.
The week I went to pick up my to whom was the week I had my ecobank interview. I crashed the exam before I even wrote the Access Bank test but I left Access Bank then for Ecobank because they were paying better and there was no bond.

5 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by babseg(m): 8:39pm On Jul 06, 2012
I used to read Guardian newspaper Tuesdays and Thursdays for job adverts. When I don't have money to buy I pay #20 just to read it.

I thank God now

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by johnCole1441: 8:48pm On Jul 06, 2012
Just an advice to all my people, "na who get swagger pass ni dem dey employ oooo">... its not about academic qualification...

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by jkeva: 8:49pm On Jul 06, 2012
Hasnt been easy, especially as a female looking for job, all those that claim to help u will want to get down with u n if u say NO, den ur on a long thing, bt i still believe my own time will come. Ds country is really messed up.

6 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by bodescous: 8:58pm On Jul 06, 2012
I had to reduce my age several times as i have been in d cold arms of unemployment for many years looking for a white collar job.Well,i thank God and with dedication and diligency......within a year i got a job,things are not the same again.....

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by dayokanu(m): 8:59pm On Jul 06, 2012
If I talk my own una go run comot
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by loudjams1441: 9:04pm On Jul 06, 2012
After hunting for job for months, I gave up and opened my own company in the UK. as a Middle man, all I do is supply to where there is demand....

2 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jul 06, 2012
Wow, God be with all job seekers.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Dozieson(m): 9:07pm On Jul 06, 2012
left nysc in 2009. While serving in jos,travelled to benin for first bank test. Ater nysc, i travelled from benin to lag for mobil test. Travelled from benin to ph for philips consulting test. I move to lag in 2010 to stay with my bro. I beacme his wife. Cook, fetch water, do all domestic works. I travelled from lag to umudike for grad assistant job test, was d only 1 dat made it to final stage in my dept. New vc came a councel the recruitment. I wrote dragnet test for coke and passed till today no calls for intw. Did imo state test and intw all d way from lag. Got the job but new gov came and suspend the job. To cut the story short am with etisalat to by God's grace. My dearest, it wasnt funny

16 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Dyt(f): 9:24pm On Jul 06, 2012
Where do I start frm sef
I opted 4 a cleaner job smtyms cos I wz so desperate
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by chidike(m): 9:39pm On Jul 06, 2012
Gosh! Hey Guys! i'm still serving...but i'm already sending out my cvs, is this good? or should i wait till after service? and in my cv i've excluded NYSC since i'm still serving. Should i include NYSC? (cos it'll read NYSC 2012 and the employer may not call me if they think i'm serving somewhere i.e i may not have time to do the job...that's the reason i removed it)
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by bigbasho: 9:42pm On Jul 06, 2012
Wow i luv dis. After staying a yr @ home, i took up a job as PA to d chairman of a security firm in lag. Upkeep of 20k. I drive, clean d office, type d office doument, manage d car park. Jes for 20k. But am jes glad i learnt car biz nd i cus start up anymoment i get d cash.

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by ainabeosei: 9:52pm On Jul 06, 2012
Em,dis is quite interesting & encouraging.just b determined & u will get what u want. I 'm stil searching.I went 4 apt.test few years ago in abuja 4rm Ekp,turns out 2 b a scam.God saved them,applicants almost killed them b4 police came.Went to lbadan 4 interview,was d best out of 9 thru out d federation but not taken cos of tribal barrier,d position was re- adv.Stil believes in God l will get my gud job soonest.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by wadoski: 9:53pm On Jul 06, 2012
dayokanu: If I talk my own una go run comot
Am not surprised. Thank God or u shaa.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by kumbalo(m): 9:55pm On Jul 06, 2012
bigbasho: Wow i luv dis. After staying a yr @ home, i took up a job as PA to d chairman of a security firm in lag. Upkeep of 20k. I drive, clean d office, type d office doument, manage d car park. Jes for 20k. But am jes glad i learnt car biz nd i cus start up anymoment i get d cash.
i have a similar story. after my nysc, i took up a PA job with a family friend. he gives 20k for my upkeep but seriously i am learning so much from him and i can tell you i have grown in confidence that i was during my service year. i'm still job-hunting sha o .
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by kvolander: 10:05pm On Jul 06, 2012
3 years after MSc, no job but within 7 months, I have worked within 3 companies and still in the 3rd one.

Your job will come at the set time if you keep waiting on God. But try to develop yourself in the meantime and read about current events. My breakthrough job was gotten as a result of my knowledge on current events. It was a multinational auditing firm and a big position I must confess. They lodged me in a hotel for month.Right now,I'm working in my field of expertise with a good take home salary.
The MD of the 2nd place I worked is still begging me to come back.

With God all things are possible.

5 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by donjon: 10:07pm On Jul 06, 2012
We wey we get job, make we thank GOD be dat o!!! I left sec school nd joined d navy

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by brianromel(m): 10:12pm On Jul 06, 2012
Walking the streets of ph with close to a hundred cv‘s two days after i left camp.

Paying for jobs at some of those job finders,purple shark and others on awolowo way ikeja and cele. Though it only got me useless marketing jobs.

Changing my cover letter by using the things employers were asking for,for close to a 1000 cv‘s i sent online for some job adds That got me some interviews, was the way i got my third job.

Checking my facebook friends info page for where they work, getting the mail for the company and sending my cv.

Providing marketing and research abvise via email for products pasted on tuesday guardian. That was how i started a perfume business cos one of those i mailed called me to enlight her more about my ideas.

Thinking of ways to help companies and booking an appointment to talk to them about it, i did this for airflow air conditions on how they can start an installment payment plan for their products via their distributors. took a while but the paid me for developing the plan and research for them.

Though i am still looking for THE JOB, what i have done so far has helped me think more about business and kept body,mind and soul together.

4 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Jarus(m): 10:19pm On Jul 06, 2012
Lucky to have a brother that is a topshot investment banking. So he just circulated soft copies of my CV to other institutions. Got calls from KPMG, Vetiva, IBTC, Accenture, UAC. Crushed the tests and interviews and got IBTC and Vetiva first. Settled for Vetiva. That was 2 weeks after I graduated, before 'to whom'.

The nearest to desperation during this process was calling Vetiva that they should check my script, that it's hardly possible I failed their test. They checked, and alas, I was right! Me and my friend had scored 71% and they mixed our scripts up, called one, thinking it's just one paper. My friend told me he had been called. I waited for 30 minutes, expecting my call too. I collected the no from him and asked them to check mine too. I got the job at last.

Another act that was close was when I was changing job couple of months ago. I was on my way out Lagos when I received call that I should come over for my offer letter. I told them I'll get back to them when I'm back in Lagos. I got back to Lagos at about 10pm Sunday evening and sent sms to the company's HR advisor -a married lady - immediately. She took offence in it!
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by logica(m): 10:19pm On Jul 06, 2012
brianromel: ...developing the plan and research for them.

Though i am still looking for THE JOB, what i have done so far has helped me think more about business and kept body,mind and soul together.
THE JOB? You already found it in the bold text above!

2 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by superior1: 10:21pm On Jul 06, 2012
I waka for lagos island so te my thighs got blistered and i begin they roll yash and drag my fit to waka. There was a particular bank i visited and their security man chased me like a dog, there was nothing i could say to convince the guy to allow me see the hr, the guy refused totally. Fastforward 2 weeks, the same bank called me (obviously got one of the cv i sent by mail) and asked me to come for an interview, a month later, they gave me an appointment letter. on my resumption date guess what, it was the same security man who chased me weeks back that opened the door for me with a smart 'welcome oga!!' greeting. The mugu no even remember me again!!

23 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

N-power Jobs: FG Has Appointed Focal Persons For 36 States Including Lagos – Pre / 1.2 Million Applicants Applied For 1,112 Nigeria Immigration Jobs / Indorama Screening Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.