Stats: 3,156,106 members, 7,828,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting (19053 Views)

9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. / Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by shilling(f): 8:46am On Jul 07, 2012
Sitting in the toilet is a good idea. Never thought about that haha

naijababe: Too many to mention but I developed all sorts of specialities before becoming a fully fledged engineer. I was a store, office & house cleaner, a burger flipper, a market researcher ( i hated that job, used to develop a headache when it was time to go to work), a retail assistant, etc.

I remember once I had to go to an interview but I could not afford the train fare, rather than miss the interview, I got on the train and sat in the toilet for the 45min journey. Mehn, pesin don suffer sha cry
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by igbonla(m): 9:14am On Jul 07, 2012
xyoung: When I flash back, I remb many strange things I did out of desperation to get a job
1..Walking the whole of transamadi industrial layout with 100 copies of my CV
2..Entering overnight bus from lagos and phc for an apt test; the bus broke down in alele wit 1hour b4 d start of the test
3..Walking the whole of adeola odeku/ikoyi with 50 CV
4..Did some gatecrashing
Mehn I really hustled
How did yours go??

Gaaddem! Did you finish from Unilag (Electrical Engr)? You sounded like my partner that we hustled together in PH back in the days, let me know.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Caracta(f): 10:02am On Jul 07, 2012
Is it just me? I've always believed that it's easier for the guys/men to get a good job than the ladies/women (especially if u can't USE WHAT U HAVE TO GET WHAT U WANT). Some ladies are lucky though (yes i am). I just hope employers will quit this immoral act and have mercy on the good and decent ones.

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by jkeva: 10:21am On Jul 07, 2012
anthoi:

Sista, the world is messed up not only 9ja. But God will visit you soon... Amen

Amen.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 07, 2012
wat more can i say? I hav applied n still applyin. God is aware sha. No p
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by dejiswaggs(m): 10:57am On Jul 07, 2012
So funny lol but I work for myself naa!
If anyone is intrested in akin alabi's ebook ''How I Made over 8 million In Nigerian in 2008 and How
you to can!'' pls inbox me now.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 07, 2012
Do u have to look for job.create a job and focus on it.pray for God blessing.
Jojo Armani: God!! Dis thread is really scares me. God abeg O o I dont want to go through all dis while searching for Job.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 07, 2012
There is no job anywhere.people should learn to create jobs.girls that are sleeping with employers are fools,over how much per month.i cannot blame them,they did to get their certificates.
Caracta: Is it just me? I've always believed that it's easier for the guys/men to get a good job than the ladies/women (especially if u can't USE WHAT U HAVE TO GET WHAT U WANT). Some ladies are lucky though (yes i am). I just hope employers will quit this immoral act and have mercy on the good and decent ones.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by yungjuve(m): 11:41am On Jul 07, 2012
Trekked 4rm obalende tru falomo 2 bar beach v i den back 2 obalende. Dere is no place in G R A and ikeja i dont know cos i use leg 4rm oshodi trek dose area because of job but thank GOD i now have a job
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by smsmoney(m): 11:42am On Jul 07, 2012
Nice thread.After many aptitude test and interviews between 2006 and 2009(story dey plenty).I decided to start doing something so I ventured into online biz(bulksms and others).Today I can't thank God enough While doing my online biz I continued developing myself academically.I have an M.Sc and a PHd will soon follow.I hope to land my passion(LECTURING JOB IN A UNI) someday while still doing my biz.
Nothing good comes easy so never say never.GOODLUCK

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by jarkata(m): 12:47pm On Jul 07, 2012
Securing a good job is like winning an elction.i mean lucrative job not anyhow job.i'm still a job seeker cos i search 4 job almost everyday.where i'm working right now is inexplicable and i'm not contented bc of poor welfare package,God should help me age is not on my side need to settle down
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by rash47(m): 1:52pm On Jul 07, 2012
Served in abuja, both during n immediately after d service year, it looks as if I was going to get a job judging by d range of contact I 've gotten 4rm my uncles n in-laws. As at d last count I 've made over 500 photocopies of my credential n still making. My closest was SSS interview in abuja in 2010, d interviewers all commended my efort dat I was an automatic candidate, 2yrs later I met a colleague whom we attended desame interview together n told me nobody among us was choosen (9ja styl).
Many says one needs luck to get a job in d saturated labour mkt, but I think luck has dried up in dat regard, wat I need is d grace of GOD,peace of mind n my own pathway to succes. May d lord help all we job seekers in dis country
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by currency10(m): 3:03pm On Jul 07, 2012
Guys, I will just say thank God today

It is not easy then bot to today I smile.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Socrates05(m): 4:00pm On Jul 07, 2012
God am short of words for now in term of job. No body i know dat can help me ooo is only God i OYIBO Benedict rely on. I just got my B.Sc(Hons) in Business Administration statement of result now, waitin NYSC by november batch. Anybody dat can help me me out not to hesitate to call me or mail me, E-mail address- oyibenbo@yahoo.com phone nos 08174416515; 08030588641: tanks
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by xyoung: 5:09pm On Jul 07, 2012
I am happy my post is gettin overwhelming response..when I was job huntin years back, at a time I gave myself a title 'WORLD CLASS TOP JOB HUNTER'..lol..at dat tymm I made job huntin a hobby..Even now,I am working but I feel like going back to the streetz to feel d experience..the first oil servicing job I got in transamadi, some days b4 I went to drop CV der but d security lady shouted for me as if she is the admin manager after test and interview I resumed der and d same lady didn't remember she chased me some day back. Wanted to treat her Bleep up but I had a changed of heart. All the strategies listed above, I did all of dem..One is not even listed here..I did over night browsing on saturday applying to more than 100 companies and had to attend sunday morning mass by 6.00am..during the mass, I was standing and sleeping and every1 tot I was drunk *sad*..
Funny enough I studied Elect/elect engineerin wit a 4point CGPA and at a tym it seemed as if I was I was illiterate and d gatemen were d educated ones
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by chucky234(m): 5:11pm On Jul 07, 2012
Never had to job hunt as I never really liked working for salaries,back in school I was running some businesses.
I did went for an interview at Nigerian breweries PLC but they did never offered any of us job as the ogas fixed their relatives in the ten advertised positions after wasting our time and brain on a written interview conducted inside the company's Iganmu office in Lagos.
After that I never bothered about applying for job as I gathered my business skils and set on a journey,I was already familiar with the business scene because in my final year in 2004 I was selling puppies online for some pet companies in the US and was receiving between $300 to $500 weekly as commissions paid via western union.
2005 I started working as a commodity broker online and made great contacts some of which include top rice companies in Thailand,India and Pakistan,Sure King Petroleum Corporation in China,Agro companies in India as well as cement companies,made cool cash but lost them when I ventured into Bonny Light Crude Oil brokerage.
Its was hell for me as the BLCO thing is saturated with fake people,I have since been importing BB,iphones,laptops from the US to pass time.

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by xyoung: 5:16pm On Jul 07, 2012
D strange tin about this job hunting..its not a respecter of first class..you have to hustle hustle and hustle really hard to get a job..the key is never give up..never ever..
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by xyoung: 5:20pm On Jul 07, 2012
In terms of hustling, I know all major streets, towns and companies in abuja, lagos and port harcourt due to my hustling spirit..funny enough when I gather enough experience in the oil and gas sector I plan to take it 2anoda level, embarking on trips to texas, aberdeen, stavenger, dubai, sugarland, kuwait or alberta
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by saintgwizard(m): 5:37pm On Jul 07, 2012
Just want to correct an impression.Am a manager with NB plc and I got the job on pure merit and God grace.-If did not get the job, don't conclude other that did got in through the back door.
chucky234: Never had to job hunt as I never really liked working for salaries,back in school I was running some businesses.
I did went for an interview at Nigerian breweries PLC but they did never offered any of us job as the ogas fixed their relatives in the ten advertised positions after wasting our time and brain on a written interview conducted inside the company's Iganmu office in Lagos.
After that I never bothered about applying for job as I gathered my business skils and set on a journey,I was already familiar with the business scene because in my final year in 2004 I was selling puppies online for some pet companies in the US and was receiving between $300 to $500 weekly as commissions paid via western union.
2005 I started working as a commodity broker online and made great contacts some of which include top rice companies in Thailand,India and Pakistan,Sure King Petroleum Corporation in China,Agro companies in India as well as cement companies,made cool cash but lost them when I ventured into Bonny Light Crude Oil brokerage.
Its was hell for me as the BLCO thing is saturated with fake people,I have since been importing BB,iphones,laptops from the US to pass time.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Wisdytech(m): 6:24pm On Jul 07, 2012
D Best thng here! Is 2 learn a hand wrk!! TRU OR FAlSE

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by heed101(m): 6:48pm On Jul 07, 2012
saintgwizard: Just want to correct an impression.Am a manager with NB plc and I got the job on pure merit and God grace.-If did not get the job, don't conclude other that did got in through the back door.
. When did u get the job? Was it recently? Cos I don't think getting job now is based on merit.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by ice234: 8:06pm On Jul 07, 2012
well my tory long.... But am grateful for my pals (really good to have good pals). Well I have learnt to be close to your pals whom are in same shoe with you. My story is thus: I did my NYSC in lag but didn't have hustling spirit... I learnt it from my pals (the great xyoung) I walk thru virtually all the streets of VI looking for a place to serve finally I got a place. While serving a pal to me about mtn recruitment. I applied and got if but it isn't my dream job cause telecom isn't really my thing. I was transferred to PH against my wish but it was a blessing cos with time xyoung joined me. We virtually bombed (send CV) to all firm in oil and gas sector.
What I have learnt from this job search is keep hope alive, try develop your competence skills, and try to build ur career around your choosen industry. Take up the little job and be positive. My dream job in an industry away from telecom hasn't happened but am positive about it.
Advice to recruiter here.. Pls there isn't any good keeping your would be employee in suspense, please let them know in time they would be considered so they can mover forward in life. Again no need inviting 2000+ people for a vacancy of 5 and calling 100 for interview.
I am a victim of firms not getting back to me. I have done 5 different final interview and none of the firms has gotten back. One I did way back in feb. Others more recent.
Again try invite few pple for test I have turned lagos-ph to my normal route. I have made lagos-ph trip more than 50 times this year all for test and interview (most firm have 4 or 5 stages before giving you the job). And to dragnet pls try letting us know our test score for each individual section.
God go help us get our dream job

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Dazzled: 8:07pm On Jul 07, 2012
Hmmm,its not easy ooo. I have walked evry where in lag,writin tests n attending interviews, i feel grt wen i get 2 d final stage believin i wil mak it but notin but dat is about 2 change. Right now am on my way from epe goin 2 okota,dis is past 8pm went 4 a testsad. God wil definitely see me tru.
Hmmmmm e no easy ooo,but GOD DEYcheesy
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by chidike(m): 9:15pm On Jul 07, 2012
Dazzled: Hmmm,its not easy ooo. I have walked evry where in lag,writin tests n attending interviews, i feel grt wen i get 2 d final stage believin i wil mak it but notin but dat is about 2 change. Right now am on my way from epe goin 2 okota,dis is past 8pm went 4 a testsad. God wil definitely see me tru.
Hmmmmm e no easy ooo,but GOD DEYcheesy
You went for that call centre job abi? All the best.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by saintgwizard(m): 9:56pm On Jul 07, 2012
Yes and I can tell u that enrty into nb plc is over 85% based on merit
. When did u get the job? Was it recently? Cos I don't think getting job now is based on merit. [/quote]
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by begwong: 10:44pm On Jul 07, 2012
i had to b readjusting my age ,it got to a point that my cv is indicating i never attended primary school.

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by aieromon(m): 10:57pm On Jul 07, 2012
begwong: i had to b readjusting my age ,it got to a point that my cv is indicating i never attended primary school.

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by armadeo(m): 11:01pm On Jul 07, 2012
begwong: i had to b readjusting my age ,it got to a point that my cv is indicating i never attended primary school.

While the tales are true and heart breaking it good to see good things come to those who persevere. Keep hope alive.
Ps the above quote cracked my ribs

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Dazzled: 11:30pm On Jul 07, 2012
chidike:
You went for that call centre job abi? All the best.
yea i did, tnx.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Gudiza(m): 1:49am On Jul 08, 2012
dvdon: Nawah o 4 naija o. Well there is hope. A frnd of mine has a funny story towards getting his job.

Every day his morning activity was to go to a near by mechanic, gist, hail guys coming to fix up cars pallies wif dem n finally may b lucky 2 get some change from those guys. In the evening he always go to d bar to chill ova a bottle of beer he says its relaxin afta d days stress.

One day he went to d bar saw a guy sitting allalone and he decided to buy 2 bottles of beer for himself and d stranger with his transport inclusive not minding to walk home after d drink, the stranger was supprised. To cut d long story short afta much gist and joke over d bottles of beer he told d stanger am jobless but I jus lyk comin here 2 feel wat it feels lyk relaxin afta a hectic day. Guess what he was talking to an ED of AGIP petroleum and he was offered through d influence of his new friend,a regular employee job in AGIP as we speak now he is a biiiig boy n jus got married.
God has a way of taking u through your path of success

Wow! Wish that would happen to me. LOL
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by semid4lyfe(m): 2:48am On Jul 08, 2012
chemicaldom: I Hv walked the streets of abj for d past 2wks distributing my CV, nothing yet. Got an offer at winco foam for 20k upkeep. Dont knw if i shld take it or just keep searchin.

One shouldn't despise small beginnings so my advice is take it but keep searching. . .

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 08, 2012
Hmmmmm...interesting...motivational....scary...and...so many things at the same time.well I just finishd service this june 14th. Immediately before my service year I worked in two places, one of which I was the web manager in abuja. During my siwes I was extensively involved in wireless radio config and mikrotik Os stuff. Point is, I always wanted to work for the sake of experience. A month into service and I started circulating my CV online.I guess,online, I must have applied to every company in nigeria(the registered companies, the unregistered companies and even the semi registered ones)...during my NYSC I was called for KPMG aptitude test, nestle, consobrew, P $ G...the numbers of journey I don make from my place of service to lagos ehnn....soo nysah-tiring...a combined 10 hours on the road......as a first timer in lagos, I have been duped, cheated, extorted but I just keep smiling jare because I'm learning..passed one test, awaiting interview...I'm so scared of d interview coming up.th others haven't released their result.pheww....wanting to start online biz rjght now because I'm an expert in ICT( programming, networking and phone stuffs)...I have tried walking the streets of ibadan and submitting CVs to banks but I was discouraged when a bank employee told me what if he collects it out of my persistence and just drops it in the bottom of the drawer?? That, that's what they do.despite the fact that I'm not yet a month outta service, I really believe in aggressive hustling and praying in order to get something worthwhile because right now, nobody dey gimme one naira again...lol...incase anyone has a job info, site, or needs anyone to just do anytin work related, am available at loladeking@yahoo.com or 07036605597...of course I know it wȋ̊ℓℓ b over soon...but when and how, we just can't tell....

Ekiti: TESCOM Teachers Recruitment 2019. How To Apply / Dear Jobseekers, What's Your Pain And How Can You Be Helped? / 1.2 Million Applicants Applied For 1,112 Nigeria Immigration Jobs

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58