Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,215 members, 7,811,591 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

Is University Education Overrated? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is University Education Overrated? (8379 Views)

Overrated Courses In Nigerian Universities / Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? / The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by duke2000: 6:37pm On Aug 03, 2012
@mikeoh. People like this entity are the reasons why the system is not working. The education systems are meant to be complementary. It is failure of Nigeria govt to understand the need for both poly and uni that has aggravated the situation. The ploys are suppose to produce manpower to feed the economic backbone. The govt should have encouraged them with better funding and removal of discriminatory treatment. The ND curriculum is no tea party for those who have experienced it. For all you know you in a semester, you could be required to enroll for 12 solid courses. Some of us have experienced both poly and uni education systems. Therefore, be guided you ignorant entities.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 03, 2012
la furia: University education isnt overrated, it is the govt policies thats affecting it. Many industries have closed down or ran away leavin pple jobless. The unemployment we have in nigeria today is not because the graduates are unemployable but there are no companies to employ them. We keep importin things that we can make here thereby exportin jobs. Until we decide to b an industrilized nation, employment rate will keep rising Common part time jobs is hard to come by. After graduting 50,000 student in a year and 2yrs after only 5,000 have a good job, y wont a university degree look overrated.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by yommy2sure(m): 6:49pm On Aug 03, 2012
NO its not! Its just the type of system we have here. What can be bought with money in an economy that is not producing? The steel sector is down, railway dowm, manufacturing companies are sent packing because of high energy costs. The most annoying is that everyone in now preaching enterprenuership? So fresh graduates with no practical business experience should cram some bunch of enterprenuership theories and gather all their life saving and bump! They are made. I tire abeg!
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Aifey(m): 6:49pm On Aug 03, 2012
mikeoh: look at dis silly entity...d poster just made mention of more entrepreneuship courses being introduce into our schools....nd who told u dat polytechnics are good training ground for entrepreneures?universities has d best prof/lecturer,best learnin environment...little wonder d so calld poly studnt abandon dia studies thy dnt mind takin jamb again just to see dat thy secure admission into universities.....hnd and nd cert are just next to ssce almost d same...dangote was just referring to them in that his driving job vacancy....
ur kind of guy feels he kns evrytin when u kn notin. U don't kn d little diff. Betw a poly n a university in terms of curriculum. Olodo

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by lafuria1(m): 6:58pm On Aug 03, 2012
yommy2sure: NO its not! It just the type of system we have here. What can be bought with money in an economy that is not producing? The steel sector is down, railway dowm, manufacturing companies are sent packing because of high energy costs. The most annoying is that everyone in now preaching enterprenuership? So fresh graduates with no practical business experience should cram some bunch of enterprenuership theories and gather all their life saving and bump! They are made. I tire abeg!
help me ask.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by chucky234(m): 7:24pm On Aug 03, 2012
University overrated? Certainly not globally,but in Nigera it is overrated.
Our University education is a complete joke,standard of the facilities found in our universities are nothing to write home about.
What teach in our universities pheripheral theoritical topics without comprehensive practicals,imagine a telecommunication student who graduated with 2:1 yet cannot draw a simple electronic equalizer system or an engineering student who graduated with 2:1 but cannot identidy parts of a generating set inside Mikano's workshop.
The list is endless,I think government should set up accredited vocational centers with upto date facilities to enable people obtain skills.
Our companies should also be compel by the govt to employ people with certificates obtained from such vocational institutes,people attached so much importance to fat certicates instead of vocational skills.

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Chylo(m): 7:29pm On Aug 03, 2012
My personal opinion is that if you cannot get up to a minimum 2:2 in the degree,
then it might have been better to not have gone to university after-all.

The reason is because, the indication is that they may not have an aptituse for academic work.
The problem lies in the belief that everyone must be an an academic. There are so many options
to consider rather than a mere university degree.

If someone is not academic oriented, vocational application might suite the person better, or even
a business degree. One can learn how to use his hands to do something in those 4 or 5 odd years and
end up much better than a 3rd class graduate!

NB: Funny thing is, some people keep writing JAMB for 4 years, just to enter a degree to leave with
a third class; just not worth it.

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by asha80(m): 7:49pm On Aug 03, 2012
i heard that in germany only about 30% of the population seek university education.i do not how true it is though.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Aug 03, 2012
Nigerian universities/polytechnics need a new curriculum. Just forget the issue of 'overrated' and 'underrated'. It doesn't count.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by UyiIredia(m): 8:29pm On Aug 03, 2012
I think the university education is much overrated. There are viable options such as catering schools, film schools(e.g PEFTI) etc.People should realize that in life it's not degrees that count but making do with what you have between your ears.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by oladayo042: 8:41pm On Aug 03, 2012
OP is right sha
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 03, 2012
It is not compulsory for you to have a University Education. And if you have failed in life, get hold of yourself and start again somewhere. People who post this kind of things are the ones who have failed and just want to justify their failures. Nigeria is messed up no doubt, but millions of jobs are being got daily by those who worth it. Don't just be a graduate but be a productive graduate. Don't just be a back door graduate, be a real one. And if you are a real one, and you have not made it, don't be too in hurry. Your making it is just around the corner. USA is not even berra these days, even Europe. Go and ask those who have run back to NAIJA. ONIRANU people!
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Emylexray(m): 9:04pm On Aug 03, 2012
Hmm! Too much hype on university education. As if its a sure criterion for achievement in life. Just know this, if one is naturally good or skilful, then the knowledge one acquires from the university moulds one to stand out!
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by toshmann(m): 9:41pm On Aug 03, 2012
my opinion:
it was overrated . . . . now it's getting underrated. in today's world, university education means little to nothing. experience counts more. go try looking for a job with some papers called degrees. i wish you luck. but go with a resume packed with experience, hope dey.

best way to get a university education, especially for those who want to study abroad, get an experience in the field first. e.g, if you want to study computer science abroad, and make a career out of it, first get computer exposure in naija, then get a computer based job with experience, then after sometime, go abroad and do your masters/phd whatever,

but if u just carry ya arse into europe or US, study finish come wan find job with mere degree in this recession . . . grin . . . you will need the combined forces of tb joshua and high class marabouts to have any iota of hope to succeed cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by mixta14: 10:21pm On Aug 03, 2012
d edu chain is upside down.university graduates ar supose 2 b d least,bt its other way round,engineers,plenty pass technologist.wel am k 4 knwin ow to read n write,i cn add 2 my lil knwledge any time i nd.Bleep skul
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by mixta14: 10:25pm On Aug 03, 2012
u beta no carry dat cert 4 head,b creative ,am talkin to d original graduate, nt fake ones
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by wise14life: 11:16pm On Aug 03, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]@ mikeoh am disappointed the way you rate hnd and ond as next to ssce am a graduate of oko poly, after my ond ℓ̊ got a job with gtb bank with a salary income of 60k monthly as a system support engineer and data management and two years later ℓ̊ finished ma hnd and even before my service ℓ̊ got a job with a reputable firm and was comfortable with my income. Now let me correct you for those that leave a poly to retake jamb are mostly those whose can't meet up with the rigors training of a poly so they end up with poor ond result finding it difficult to go back for hnd so they try a university. All though that is not the case for some people. And point of correction on the dangote job offer, it stated hnd/bsc so please get proper information before you speak. And ℓ̊ bet you have not worked in a good firm that's why you make such statements of hnd and ond graduates.... And most banks in nigeria prefers polytechnic graduates

2 Likes

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by dasparrow: 1:28am On Aug 04, 2012
asha 80: i heard that in germany only about 30% of the population seek university education.i do not how true it is though.

It is true. Most germans go to vocational school. I used to live in germany so I know. Even those going for nursing get trained in a vocational school and not in a university. Vocational training along with experience is considered more valuable there than a university degree. Fact!
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by dasparrow: 1:30am On Aug 04, 2012
tpacalipse: It is not compulsory for you to have a University Education. And if you have failed in life, get hold of yourself and start again somewhere. People who post this kind of things are the ones who have failed and just want to justify their failures. Nigeria is messed up no doubt, but millions of jobs are being got daily by those who worth it. Don't just be a graduate but be a productive graduate. Don't just be a back door graduate, be a real one. And if you are a real one, and you have not made it, don't be too in hurry. Your making it is just around the corner. USA is not even berra these days, even Europe. Go and ask those who have run back to NAIJA. ONIRANU people!

Did you have to insult? That just took away from the message of your post even though you were making alot of sense.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Nobody: 2:17am On Aug 04, 2012
wise14life: [color=#990000][/color]@ mikeoh am disappointed the way you rate hnd and ond as next to ssce am a graduate of oko poly, after my ond ℓ̊ got a job with gtb bank with a salary income of 60k monthly as a system support engineer and data management and two years later ℓ̊ finished ma hnd and even before my service ℓ̊ got a job with a reputable firm and was comfortable with my income. Now let me correct you for those that leave a poly to retake jamb are mostly those whose can't meet up with the rigors training of a poly so they end up with poor ond result finding it difficult to go back for hnd so they try a university. All though that is not the case for some people. And point of correction on the dangote job offer, it stated hnd/bsc so please get proper information before you speak. And ℓ̊ bet you have not worked in a good firm that's why you make such statements of hnd and ond graduates.... And most banks in nigeria prefers polytechnic graduates
i knw the so calld polytechnic studnt will come out to counter me....do ur research well..most of the world inventors are thy not university graduates...the ngozi okonjo is she not a uni graduate?sanusi and prof soludo are thy not university graduate?the facebook,bb and handsets are thy not discoverd by universities graduate? And the silly poster is refferin uni cert as being overrated just potion ur blame on the nigerian government ....@wise14life dat u got that insecure bank job of urs (of which am sure u leta lost) was not becos u are a polytechnic graduate and let me educate u more on why banks go for sum few percentage of poly studnt is only just to reduce cost becos poly graduate are more cheaper compared to uni graduates
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Heymus(m): 2:19am On Aug 04, 2012
ebamma: that facebook you are enjoying was created by someone who learned from a university,so how can you be saying that university education is over rated
c'mon d op is trying to relate the topic base on naija uni. Education. So, do u want to tell us that blackberry pinging & facebook are developed by Nigeria university graduate? Is it not this part of world(Nigeria) we only cry for papers rather than creativity? Go to continent like Asia and lean. Then you will see how education can help the economy.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Heymus(m): 7:58am On Aug 04, 2012
[quote
author=wise14life][color=#990000][/color]@ mikeoh am disappointed the
way you rate hnd and ond as next to ssce am a graduate of oko poly,
after my ond ℓ̊ got a job with gtb bank with a salary income of 60k
monthly as a system support engineer and data management and two years
later ℓ̊ finished ma hnd and even before my service ℓ̊ got a job with a
reputable firm and was comfortable with my income. Now let me correct
you for those that leave a poly to retake jamb are mostly those whose
can't meet up with the rigors training of a poly so they end up with
poor ond result finding it difficult to go back for hnd so they try a
university. All though that is not the case for some people. And point
of correction on the dangote job offer, it stated hnd/bsc so please get
proper information before you speak. And ℓ̊ bet you have not worked in a
good firm that's why you make such statements of hnd and ond
graduates.... And most banks in nigeria prefers polytechnic
graduates[/quote]may God bless you for this
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Agimor(m): 8:09am On Aug 04, 2012
ishmael: Polytechnic education is what nigeria and nigerians need presently for economic and technological growth. Unfortunately this is the type of education they look down at.
I agreed with you but is unfortunate that the government of the day does not even value the result let alone the populance.HND or OND is been discriminated or i rather say is a scam on student.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by AlabaSlim: 9:33am On Aug 04, 2012
mikeoh: i knw the so calld polytechnic studnt will come out to counter me....do ur research well..most of the world inventors are thy not university graduates...the ngozi okonjo is she not a uni graduate?sanusi and prof soludo are thy not university graduate?the facebook,bb and handsets are thy not discoverd by universities graduate? And the silly poster is refferin uni cert as being overrated just potion ur blame on the nigerian government ....@wise14life dat u got that insecure bank job of urs (of which am sure u leta lost) was not becos u are a polytechnic graduate and let me educate u more on why banks go for sum few percentage of poly studnt is only just to reduce cost becos poly graduate are more cheaper compared to uni graduates
don't u eva go abt wit dis ur type of reasonin...it wil nut take u far COS i know dat in advance kontries evun in asia lyk korea & china,dier emphasizes are always on vocational trainin includin poly.
d indianz, chinese, pakistaniz, lebanese dat hav taken ova d BIG &SMALL POSITIONz in naija r all GRADUATEz in technical schz...find out ursef.
Bsidez 'm also a uni-grad

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 04, 2012
Its not over-rated,its just because of the problems in Nigeria,can you say the same about other nations universities,why do you think people hustle to study in neigbouring university of Ghana?
Its the Nigerian sysytem that is having problems.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Ufeolorun(m): 9:36am On Aug 04, 2012
Yeah you get that sort of feeling at times and it has got nothing to do with the Nigerian system,really.
Have got more from attending workshops than I ever got in most school classes. There's too much emphasis on academic exercise rather than what's really relevant. No frills skill and knowledge acquisition to me is the best, though it's often shorter and expensive but its worthwhile compared to Uni where they basically want to justify how much you paid by stuffing the syllabus with mundane academic stuffs(not applicable to all uni courses especially engineering,meds,law and probably accounting).
General knowledge isn't bad sha but nowadays core skill rules.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by matrixme(m): 11:17am On Aug 04, 2012
I think University education may truly be slightly over-rated tham the results it actually garner in real life. Yet, you must have been university educated to some extent to come to the point of knowing! ESPECIALLY if you have the priviledge. You may drop out when you reach that point. Ask the Facebook guy, Bill gates and many others.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Akby(m): 11:54am On Aug 04, 2012
On a more serious note, university education is just toooo over rated. Have tasted both so let me clearify some ish. I did elect/elect @ ND level and went for Direct Entry to a univeristy and i can tell u that all what i did in my NDII first semester is a replica for 300L 2nd semester not to talk of HND. A polytechnic graduate is far better than a university degree graduate and this is what we need to drive this nation forward. Imagine a 400L elect/elect student who can't solder two wires together and he calls himself an engineer *smh*. In a nutshell i think the word 'univeristy' makes potential students 'blood boils' and they have this belief that if u not a university graduate you and can't achieve anything

2 Likes

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by ABAKA72(m): 1:46pm On Aug 04, 2012
mikeoh: i knw the so calld polytechnic studnt will come out to counter me....do ur research well..most of the world inventors are thy not university graduates...the ngozi okonjo is she not a uni graduate?sanusi and prof soludo are thy not university graduate?the facebook,bb and handsets are thy not discoverd by universities graduate? And the silly poster is refferin uni cert as being overrated just potion ur blame on the nigerian government ....@wise14life dat u got that insecure bank job of urs (of which am sure u leta lost) was not becos u are a polytechnic graduate and let me educate u more on why banks go for sum few percentage of poly studnt is only just to reduce cost becos poly graduate are more cheaper compared to uni graduates
people like you are the reason why people no longer take university graduates serious in Nigeria. See how shallow and illogical your presentations are, the Wright brothers that invented the Airplane were mere bike and bicycle repirerers who didn't go beyound high school, yet with the besic theories they got from there, went into resarch and produced the airplane. Thomas Edison, the prolific American inventor, who produced the electric light bulb, gramophone, polaroid camera etc was not a uni graduate when he made his inventions, will the above examples be enough justification for anybody to say that high school education is superior to university education. And for the poly graduates that are bragging, can they compare themselves with tech graduate from similer technology institutions from Ghana, South Africa or even Gabon. The problem with the system of education in Nigeria as pointed out in earlier posts by some sound graduates has to do with inability to evolve a good policy framework on which the system will thrive on. Secondly, the orientation of the average Nigerian student who believes that university education is the only one worth acquiring, also, inability of government to adequately fund these institutions. Without the above, the basic functional ingredients that is needed to produce a sound and productive graduate will always be lacking and thats what we are suffering today. No nation can grow without investing heavily in eduction at all level. University and poly education are designed to play specific roles in the socity and are made to be complimentry to each other. I feel sad whenever I hear stories about discremination against poly graduates, even by people who should know better, no nation will develop with this kind of attitude.

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by babakb: 2:30pm On Aug 04, 2012
this is a very interesting topic, but i must make a correction here, is not the university that is over rated, is the tertiary education system in Africa that is over rated, all the inventions you guys are talking about were not made by africans but yankee guys, some one should tell me what meaningful development tertiary education in general has brought to africa, especially west and east africa, nothing, so as it is now tertiary education is being over rated in these regions, it does not matter whether u're a university or polytechnic graduate, you are the only one that can make your self innovative and dynamic, one major reason why things are falling apart for graduates both those that are employed and those that are unemployed is that the informal sector has been neglected to the core, do you think the yankees just started inventions out of nowhere, it took some of them many years of research and trial and error, i mean actual research not paper pushing, so anyone still hanging on university pride or polytechnic pride should wake up, the reason why we all obtained certificates whether bsc or hnd is to ensure financial and social upgrade, and now both bsc and hnd graduates are in the unemployment mess, and no positive change is expected in the country anytime soon, so every body shine your eyes or you will end up becoming a frustrated element in the society, for example, in the construction industry miscreants thrive more than graduates, in most cases the architect might be the only educated fellow involved, but the site engineer, mason, electrician, plumbers, tilers, painters etc are all miscreants, same as other industries. everybody open your eyes, being a graduate whether bsc or hnd is a past glory.

2 Likes

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by oismail(m): 8:07pm On Aug 04, 2012
All University graduates know this fact after all, we all attended secondary school and sat for the same JAMB. But the fact is that all of us can't get admission into universities not because of the performance in JAMB but ........

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apply For University Of Sheffield Dan Walker Journalism Scholarships, UK / Why Beating On The Buttocks And Back Is Sexually Stimulating And Must Be Avoided / Letter To All Nigerian V.cs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.