Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,850 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US (13728 Views)

Amaechi At Flag Off Of The Port-Harcourt To Aba Mass Transit Line -photos / Amaechi Approves Commencement Of Port Harcourt-Aba Mass Transit Train Service / President Jonathan Inspected The Abuja Rail Mass Transit Line (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Afam4eva(m): 5:00pm On Jul 10, 2012
OAM4J:

Really? I didn't know this too.

You mean Enugu had mass transit buses with dedicated roads before Lagos started thinking of BRT?
Which one be dedicated road? They had a mass transit bus simple. I'm not expecting you to know because many people hardly know what's going on outside lagos. I won't blame Lagosians that hype Fashola because they've not had it so good. But they should know that some states have been enjoying relative goodwill before Fashola came on board in lagos.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by OAM4J: 5:04pm On Jul 10, 2012
afam4eva:
Which one be dedicated road? They had a mass transit bus simple. I'm not expecting you to know because many people hardly know what's going on outside lagos. I won't blame Lagosians that hype Fashola because they've not had it so good. But they should know that some states have been enjoying relative goodwill before Fashola came on board in lagos.

Abeg go and siddon. Many states including Lagos state had mass transit buses decades ago. I grew up knowing LSTC buses in Lagos. What is special with BRT are not the mass transit buses but the dedicated roads and other infrastructures dedicated to the system. Read the article again.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by babapupa: 5:11pm On Jul 10, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm sure this your statement was produced out of ignorance. Now, i ask you. How many states in Nigeria have you visited in Nigeria? Do you know that Enugu state had a similar transport system as at the time Lagos launched theirs but you won't know because you don't travel round the country, so your statements will be laced with ignorance.

Your posts reeks ignorance and until you show us what's in enugu apart from roundabouts, please keep quiet and sit somewhere.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Katsumoto: 5:13pm On Jul 10, 2012
afam4eva:

Many states in Nigeria and other African countries have/had mass transit systems, Lagos itself had one; the key differentiator here is the use of a dedicated lane/road to make it more attractive.

Someone said I have a car that can fly, and you say I have a car too. Yes you have a car but can it freaking fly?
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by AjanleKoko: 5:20pm On Jul 10, 2012
OAM4J:

Really? I didn't know this too.

You mean Enugu had mass transit buses with dedicated roads before Lagos started thinking of BRT?

Not true.
Mass transit, yes. Dedicated roads, no.
Comparison is even baseless. Enugu looks like Oshogbo, a quiet, sleepy, government town.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Afam4eva(m): 5:25pm On Jul 10, 2012
Ok, i've read the article and now understand that the keyword is "dedicated roads". Btw, i'm not attacking lagos or Fashola, i was just addressing an ignorant post that belittled other state governments even though the poster had never visited other states to compare what's going on there with what Fashola has done in Lagos. This really has nothing to do with BRT or dedicated roads. I was just using that to make a point.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Afam4eva(m): 5:26pm On Jul 10, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Not true.
Comparison is even baseless. Enugu looks like Oshogbo, a quiet, sleepy, government town.
I agree that Enugu is not Lagos, Aba, Onitsha or Port-hacourt but please don't compare Enugu with Osogbo. That is an insult in itself. How can you compare a city that has no relatively unique product to Enugu. Btw, have you visited Enugu before?
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by jason123: 5:27pm On Jul 10, 2012
afam4eva:

Bros, don't embarrass yourself! undecided
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by manny4life(m): 5:28pm On Jul 10, 2012
OAM4J:

Abeg go and siddon. Many states including Lagos state had mass transit buses decades ago. I grew up knowing LSTC buses in Lagos. What is special with BRT are not the mass transit buses but the dedicated roads and other infrastructures dedicated to the system. Read the article again.

Let me ask, how do they mean by "dedicated roads"?
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 5:28pm On Jul 10, 2012
bayooooooo:

You think you know it but truth be told you don't know anything about constructive criticism. You believe in unachievable idealism.
If you can't even fault what is done, it is safe to assume you can't improve upon it.

Nigerians don't engage in silly exercise by brainstorming and exchanging ideas on how they felt the developmental efforts of the nation can be enhanced. A truly good and spectacular idea from this forum can get implemented if brought to the attention of people in authority.

keep telling yourself that!!! wink ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 5:29pm On Jul 10, 2012
Like I said . . .

gidiMonsta:

So criticizing a fumbling govt. and singing praises of a hard working governor is bigotry? Grow up dude.

No, that is not what he is saying.

Take a lesson from Americans. Many of those who LOVE OBAMA, and already plan to vote him back in office in November, readily admit that he is doing good but there is still a whole lot of improvement needed, and a lot of misses too. And they can go at length with you on these. This is why I admire a lot of them.
Even the celebrities(I know we like to think that many of them are out of the touch when it comes to the concerns of the average man), they are educated on the issues enough to give you details on what Obama has done wrong, and what is he still doing wrong and where he needs to change but at the end of the day, they are still wearing there "Vote Obama" teeshirts. And this applies to the ordinary Americans out there too. They criticize even those they support, OPENLY too, and would readily jump boats if their choice decides to take them, or Americans, for granted. They are not puppets. They are intelligent beings who are do not have their tongues stuck to the arse of politicians.

These are the kind of people Nigeria needs. We don't need puppets for the Politicians or arse-lickers. We need real Nigerians, not afraid to criticize even when they choose to stand.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by babapupa: 5:30pm On Jul 10, 2012
afam4eva: Ok, i've read the article and now understand that the keyword is "dedicated roads". Btw, i'm not attacking lagos or Fashola, i was just addressing an ignorant post that belittled other state governments even though the poster had never visited other states to compare what's going on there with what Fashola has done in Lagos. This really has nothing to do with BRT or dedicated roads. I was just using that to make a point.

His claims about oth us what's other states remains legitimate until you are able to prove wrong with facts about these other states that the poster didn't mention.

Would you like to start with the fake monoarail?
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Afam4eva(m): 5:30pm On Jul 10, 2012
jason123:

Bros, don't embarrass yourself! undecided
Which one be embarrassment there?
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by jason123: 5:31pm On Jul 10, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Not true.

Not been to Enugu; however my spouse talks highly of the state. I am guessing it will be better than Osogbo. Nevertheless, she still prefers Lagos.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Afam4eva(m): 5:31pm On Jul 10, 2012
babapupa:

His claims about oth us what's other states remains legitimate until you are able to prove wrong with facts about these other states that the poster didn't mention.

Would you like to start with the fake monoarail?
No, he should go ahead and tell us why he thinks Lagos is lite years ahead of those other states since he's familiar with every state in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Deekaydadon(m): 5:33pm On Jul 10, 2012
Eifeh: Please has university of ibadan done their post utme examination?
the results have even been released in less than 24hrs...overall result is poor and goes to prove UI's point of waec/jamb combination 4 shortlisting.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Afam4eva(m): 5:33pm On Jul 10, 2012
jason123:

Not been to Enugu; however my spouse talks highly of the state. I am guessing it will be better than Osogbo. Nevertheless, she still prefers Lagos.
Most people will always prefere lagos even if it Theoodore Orji becomes the governor of Lagos. lagos is in a league of it's own and until other commercial cities poses challenges lagos, then it will remain like that for a long time to come because people go where the money is and not really where the heart lies.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 10, 2012
jason123:

There is no comparison, Enugu is by far better than Osogbo. I have been to both cities. Even from the mere fact that Enugu is more of a regional capital should make the difference stick.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by OAM4J: 5:36pm On Jul 10, 2012
manny4life:

Let me ask, how do they mean by "dedicated roads"?

Separate lanes/roads were built for BRT buses. Any other motorist that ply these roads/lanes will be arrested and fined. This mean by traveling with BRT buses you will avoid the heavy traffic associated with most Lagos roads. So a lot of car owners (not interested in "Me too get motor" mentality) will rather leave their cars at home and use BRT buses, thereby reducing the congestion on Lagos roads too.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by jason123: 5:37pm On Jul 10, 2012
afam4eva:
Most people will always prefere lagos even if it Theoodore Orji becomes the governor of Lagos. lagos is in a league of it's own and until other commercial cities poses challenges lagos, then it will remain like that for a long time to come because people go where the money is and not really where the heart lies.

I agree with you. I know a few people (mostly southerners) that have relocated to Enugu in recent years. Enugu is up and coming. From what I have seen (pics and vids) and what she has told me, it will be an ideal place to raise a family. Very quiet and serene!
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by jason123: 5:38pm On Jul 10, 2012
bayooooooo:

There is no comparison, Enugu is by far better than Osogbo. I have been to both cities. Even from the mere fact that Enugu is more of a regional capital should make the difference stick.

Hahaha. I think so as well. I'll take your word for it as I have never been to both places!!!
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 10, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You don't have opinion on any issue. All you do is troll and mention America in everything.
Nigeria is not America. Our environment is different, laws different, federal nature different, etc.

What Americans take for granted is what is desirable here. So our priorities are different.
Discuss Nigerian issues with Nigeria's nuances and perspectives. With that you understand the issues better.

Stop idealism and embrace what's practical.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by babapupa: 5:41pm On Jul 10, 2012
afam4eva:
No, he should go ahead and tell us why he thinks Lagos is lite years ahead of those other states since he's familiar with every state in Nigeria.
is lagos not ahead of many states in Nigeria including enugu? He made his statement and if you think he overreached, the burden on you to prove him wrong with your own facts.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Afam4eva(m): 5:42pm On Jul 10, 2012
jason123:

I agree with you. I know a few people (mostly southerners) that have relocated to Enugu in recent years. Enugu is up and coming. From what I have seen (pics and vids) and what she has told me, it will be an ideal place to raise a family. Very quiet and serene!

Enugu is a nice place to raise a family but not a nice place to make money. So, where do you think people(Nigerians) will naturally go to? I wish Nigeria were like America where your location will not be a hindrance to your success.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 5:42pm On Jul 10, 2012
bayooooooo:

You don't have opinion on any issue. All you do is troll and mention America in everything.
Nigeria is not America. Our environment is different, laws different, federal nature different, etc.

What Americans take for granted is what is desirable here. So our priorities are different.
Discuss Nigerian issues with Nigeria's nuances and perspectives. With that you understand the issues better.

Stop idealism and embrace what's practical.
Again . . . .
Kobojunkie:
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Afam4eva(m): 5:43pm On Jul 10, 2012
babapupa: is lagos not ahead of many states in Nigeria including enugu? He made his statement and if you think he overreached, the burden on you to prove him wrong with your own facts.
When you say ahead, what do you mean. Pls be explicit and stop talking like an illiterate. Which ome be "Ahead".
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by naptu2: 5:48pm On Jul 10, 2012
I see that this thread has been derailed in my absence. Before I join in (by posting pics of beatification works in Lagos) let me help with some definitions.

Physically segregated lanes: - A concrete demarcation is built into the road to segregate the BRT lane from other lanes. Only BRT buses are allowed on that lane and other vehicles cannot switch to the BRT lane because of the concrete between the lanes.

Priority Service: A yellow line is drawn to separate the extreme left lane from other lanes. Motorists can use the left lane at off peak periods, but the lane is reserved for the BRT buses at peak periods/rush hour.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On Jul 10, 2012
naptu2: I see that this thread has been derailed in my absence. Before I join in (by posting pics of beatification works in Lagos) let me help with some definitions.

Physically segregated lanes: - A concrete demarcation is built into the road to segregate the BRT lane from other lanes. Only BRT buses are allowed on that lane and other vehicles cannot switch to the BRT lane because of the concrete between the lanes.
So why does that stop you from posting pictures of those areas again? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by babapupa: 5:56pm On Jul 10, 2012
afam4eva:
When you say ahead, what do you mean. Pls be explicit and stop talking like an illiterate. Which ome be "Ahead"

But you rebuked and discredited what he said without asking him to clarify the meaning of Ahead. So why all of a sudden, you need clarification?

This is trolling and I know how you play this game. Obviously, you can not put your money where your mouth is. What a shame.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by jason123: 5:58pm On Jul 10, 2012
afam4eva:
Enugu is a nice place to raise a family but not a nice place to make money. So, where do you think people(Nigerians) will naturally go to? I wish Nigeria were like America where your location will not be a hindrance to your success.

I don't understand your question but I'll give it a try. If you mean preferred destination (overall), I'll take Lagos, Abuja and Rivers. In terms of just money, business and commercial activities, Lagos, Onitcha, Rivers, Delta, AkwaIbom etc (all oil states).
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by AjanleKoko: 5:58pm On Jul 10, 2012
afam4eva:
I agree that Enugu is not Lagos, Aba, Onitsha or Port-hacourt but please don't compare Enugu with Osogbo. That is an insult in itself. How can you compare a city that has no relatively unique product to Enugu. Btw, have you visited Enugu before?

Yes, I have visited Enugu at least 20 times in the last ten years. Been there this year already. I have business interests there.
Usually stay at the Villa Toscana when I am there.

By the way, Oshogbo hosts a Steel Rolling mill, and PHCN's National Control Center. Enugu is of course larger, but the demographics are similar. And Enugu has an airport, while Oshogbo does not. But to me, they're both quiet, neat, sleepy, civil service towns.

Though Enugu has improved a lot since 2007. It was in shambles when Nnamani was governor. Chime has done a decent job.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Afam4eva(m): 5:59pm On Jul 10, 2012
babapupa:

But you rebuked and discredited what he said without asking him to clarify the meaning of Ahead. So why all of a sudden, you need clarification?

This is trolling and I know how you play this game. Obviously, you can not put your money where your mouth is. What a shame.
I rebuked him because he was referring to the performance of Fashola against other governors even though i think he has not visited many states in Nigeria. This has nothing to do with Lagos generally.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

New Anambra State University Teaching Hospital Awka(pictures) / Anambra: Man Arrested For Inducing Voters Says Money Meant For APGA Party Agents / Inside PMB's 2019 Campaign Strategy & The Keyamo Connection - Premium Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.