Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,761 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse (1007 Views)

TRINITARIANS, How Do You Honestly Interpret This Verse In The Bible? / 87% Of Christians Probably Don't Know This Verse In The Bible. @pix / Crumbs Under The Table: Explain This Verse Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by buzugee(m): 10:32am On Jul 10, 2012
ISAIAH 34 VS 4 And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falls off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree.
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by InesQor(m): 10:50am On Jul 10, 2012
I am not a Strong Bible teacher, but "hosts of heaven" means stars in the sky.

When Isaiah says they shall be dissolved and fall down like figs from a tree, he was probably talking about meteors, asteroids and comets falling to earth in God's anger.

Here is a transliteration from The Message Bible.

Isa 34:4 Stars will fall out of the sky like overripe, rotting fruit in the orchard, And the sky itself will be folded up like a blanket and put away in a closet. All that army of stars, shriveled to nothing, like leaves and fruit in autumn, dropping and rotting!
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by firebrand: 2:55pm On Jul 10, 2012
This is referring to the galaxy, the host are the powers and principalities. This would take place prior to the arrival of the new earth and the new heaven. Dont forget that everything we see today would be consumed by fire before the new Jerusalem would descend from God.
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by MacDaddy01: 3:21pm On Jul 10, 2012
over a 1000 years ago, the bible wouldnt be interpreted like this. People didnt know what a galaxy is or what a meteor is.

Funny how the word of God which is perfect keeps changing every few hundred years

firebrand: This is referring to the galaxy, the host are the powers and principalities. This would take place prior to the arrival of the new earth and the new heaven. Dont forget that everything we see today would be consumed by fire before the new Jerusalem would descend from God.
firebrand: This is referring to the galaxy, the host are the powers and principalities. This would take place prior to the arrival of the new earth and the new heaven. Dont forget that everything we see today would be consumed by fire before the new Jerusalem would descend from God.

Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by InesQor(m): 3:39pm On Jul 10, 2012
@MacDaddy01

Even if they didn't know what a meteor is, they could see "stars" falling from heaven.

"Fire" reportedly fell from heaven many times in the Old Testament, in some cases burning up entire cities (e.g. Sodom and Gomorrah). The prophet did not KNOW what a meteor or asteroid is, but he SURELY could describe what he saw.

We should try to be objective in our criticism.
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by MacDaddy01: 3:45pm On Jul 10, 2012
InesQor: @MacDaddy01

Even if they didn't know what a meteor is, they could see "stars" falling from heaven.

"Fire" reportedly fell from heaven many times in the Old Testament, in some cases burning up entire cities (e.g. Sodom and Gomorrah). The prophet did not KNOW what a meteor or asteroid is, but he SURELY could describe what he saw.

We should try to be objective in our criticism.

lol....so God did not destroy Sodom and Gomorrah., it was a scientifically explainable meteor that destroyed the city?
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by InesQor(m): 4:00pm On Jul 10, 2012
MacDaddy01:

lol....so God did not destroy Sodom and Gomorrah., it was a scientifically explainable meteor that destroyed the city?

Does this response of yours assume that God does magic, and does not work through science?

Look all around you at the wonders of science. If we assume (I know you're atheist, so just assume) that God created it all, then why should we NOT see that God can destroy a city by sending hail and fire, in a SCIENTIFICALLY explainable way?

As I said before,let's be objective in our criticism please.
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by MacDaddy01: 4:05pm On Jul 10, 2012
InesQor:

Does this response of yours assume that God does magic, and does not work through science?

Look all around you at the wonders of science. If we assume (I know you're atheist, so just assume) that God created it all, then why should we NOT see that God can destroy a city by sending hail and fire, in a SCIENTIFICALLY explainable way?

As I said before,let's be objective in our criticism please.

lol....God does magic if in the old testament, he created Adam or he helped make the sun stand still! Or the fact that Jesus healed without medicine.
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by TheShopKeeper(m): 4:20pm On Jul 10, 2012
The phrase 'host of heaven' can refer to:
1. Astral deities (sun, moon, stars, planets, comets etc) usually associated with Babylon in the olden days.
2. The angelic army.

In the context relating to Isaiah 34:4, they refer to the objects of light in the sky, which relates to the sun and moon cycles of nature.
These objects are affected and thrown into disarray by the approach of their Creator.
All these physical objects often viewed as deities are subject to God.
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by buzugee(m): 6:11am On Jul 11, 2012
GUYS, I APPRECIATE ALL YOUR ANSWERS
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by Nobody: 6:41am On Jul 11, 2012
I believe this is metaphorical. It is simply a description of God's judgement on a sinful world. I believe scripture should be explained in context.
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by buzugee(m): 6:53am On Jul 11, 2012
davidylan: I believe this is metaphorical. It is simply a description of God's judgement on a sinful world. I believe scripture should be explained in context.
I LIKE WHERE YOU ARE GOING WITH THIS. CARE TO EXPAND ?
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by Nobody: 7:13am On Jul 11, 2012
buzugee: I LIKE WHERE YOU ARE GOING WITH THIS. CARE TO EXPAND ?

Take a look at verse 3 - Their slain also shall be cast out, and their stink shall come up out of their carcases, and the mountains shall be melted with their blood.

I cant imagine that mount Kilimanjaro will melt because of the blood of Tanzanians. grin
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by buzugee(m): 7:21am On Jul 11, 2012
davidylan:

Take a look at verse 3 - Their slain also shall be cast out, and their stink shall come up out of their carcases, and the mountains shall be melted with their blood.

I cant imagine that mount Kilimanjaro will melt because of the blood of Tanzanians. grin
grin grin grin Well you are correct. That was a metaphorical verse for the destruction of the rulers of this world that will happen when christ returns. Wasnt no physical sun and moon and stars falling out of the skys as prior posts have alluded to.
APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR ANSWERS THOUGH. IRON SHARPENS IRON.

RULERS = HEAVENS
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by buzugee(m): 8:15am On Jul 11, 2012
so this has been a lesson in how 50 percent of the bible should not be read literally.
what do you look at when you look up ? the heavens
who do people in the world look up to ? their leaders

biblical lingo for leaders is heavens
REL101
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by MacDaddy01: 11:28am On Jul 11, 2012
buzugee: so this has been a lesson in how 50 percent of the bible should not be read literally.
what do you look at when you look up ? the heavens
who do people in the world look up to ? their leaders

biblical lingo for leaders is heavens
REL101

LMAO....if 50% of the bible should not be read literally, then why should it be a serious book? Half of it is fiction.
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by interguru: 11:37pm On Jul 22, 2012
MacDaddy01:

is it that u don't believe in d existence of a supreme GoD or is it the christian God that u reject
Re: Strong Bible Teachers Can You Explain This Verse by Nobody: 1:43am On Jul 23, 2012
interguru:
is it that u don't believe in d existence of a supreme GoD or is it the christian God that u reject

Very intelligent question. I believe the answer is more the latter than the former.

(1) (Reply)

Created Or Evolved? / Nairalander On Punch Paper Today 16/04/2013 *******BILLYONAIRE / Modern Idolatry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.