Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? (19665 Views)

12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future / What Is The Force That Keeps You Going As An Entrepreneur? / Nigerian Entrepreneurs Worth Admiring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by jites(m): 2:35pm On Nov 04, 2012

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by GodsSon5(m): 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2012
I have been going through this thread with no intentions of commenting but this has been really inspiring and I tot it good to share my own lil story too...

First of all I started off selling multi links modems without a shop, I started with a capital of 14,000NGN really sold off and I got good profit from the biz but along the line I stopped saving and started spending more so the biz couldn't hold off again, tho I was able buy a taxi from the proceeds of the biz..

Well the taxi biz didn't pay off @ all cos the pple I gave the taxi to run for me whr not good @ all even tho they all had sweet mouth..lol...i ended up selling the taxi..

Took some time to pray and meditate and God gave me a direction to start up an educational consulting biz, for students who want to school abroad, started off as a lone man meeting pple and stuff, pple would just look @ me and feel I wasent up for the task but with God a little resilience and Hard work not minding what pple say the biz has kicked of well tho' thr is still much room for expansion but we have made so much progress and have students all ova europe who have been thr courtesy of our agency.
I am also in to fish farming but I take it as a pet project

Well key is to trust God, take the step its important stop procrasting and the time to take the step is NOW

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by addictiv(m): 10:00pm On Nov 10, 2012
guys thanks a milla for your contributions. i have always had this multi million naira buisness idea but it hasn't been developed. think its time to wake the giant up.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 12:39am On Nov 11, 2012
The Earlier the better.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by august7: 12:26pm On Nov 11, 2012
pls guys what do you think about tailoring material buz.dont have enough capital to rent a shop.so will be supplying tailors in my area from home.has any1 done this buz before,,or any idea/tips that can help.thanks in advance
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by eksammy(m): 9:39pm On Nov 11, 2012
I want to start recharge card business with N1m. any advise? who has been there before? what are the pros and cons?

does anyone have advise or idea on how mobile money business works in view of the impending cbn cashless policy in nigeria?

Help a bro!
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 10:24pm On Nov 11, 2012
@Eksammy, I have responded to you in the Entrepreneur's Manual thread.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by hommes(m): 10:38pm On Nov 12, 2012
This a great tread.........I follow it and I reall gained a lot. I hv some amount of money to start businesS but I kept proc§tinate, but now am resigning very soom as soon I make little money more.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 12:04pm On Nov 15, 2012
All the best.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by omonjerry: 1:32pm On Nov 16, 2012
Men u guys really gin ger me. I have the money to set up biz.but nw I wan to set up printing and design is in my mind anyone with any idea should advice me the next step to take
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 1:39pm On Nov 16, 2012
Start researching about the business, the knowledge you gain would be invaluable. Know how it works in and out

omonjerry: Men u guys really gin ger me. I have the money to set up biz.but nw I wan to set up printing and design is in my mind anyone with any idea should advice me the next step to take
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by omonjerry: 12:35pm On Nov 18, 2012
Yes thanks
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by afolabisegun(m): 2:36pm On Nov 18, 2012
my online business @ www.proinfomarkting.com and my importation biz @ www.importationbiz..com
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Lakol: 2:47pm On Nov 18, 2012
well, i am writing this with tears on part of my eyes and joy on other part, i grad from unilorin sociology as a discpline. Albeit, i ahve always say it that even if i will work under someone it will be for a while. i started my dry cleaning business immediately after my 1st degree before my service with just 25k, 2 months after i was called on for youth service i had to drop it for a friend to just be sitting there cos no customers then, little cloth he get he will wash. after my orienta. camp i came bak to sit there, gradually everything started changiing. when i started i put a chair there, i hanged my shirts and my brothers unused shirts in a nylon to indicate drycleaning shop. But now am not totally ok with it but through it i went for my second degree in unilag, and now i hold my 1st and 2nd degree. I have my washing machins and dryer. Now my mate that were waiting for job are coming to get idea about the business from me, because i set up my office in such way that it will attract customers. But to get there for the past 4 yrs it was hell and it involves a lot of perseverance and endurance, because i started from the scratch and gradually rising up, but today i say alhamdulilahi.

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Lakol: 3:12pm On Nov 18, 2012
well, i am writing this with tears on part of my eyes and joy on other part, i grad from unilorin sociology as a discpline. Albeit, i ahve always say it that even if i will work under someone it will be for a while. i started my dry cleaning business immediately after my 1st degree before my service with just 25k, 2 months after i was called on for youth service i had to drop it for a friend to just be sitting there cos no customers then, little cloth he get he will wash. after my orienta. camp i came bak to sit there, gradually everything started changiing. when i started i put a chair there, i hanged my shirts and my brothers unused shirts in a nylon to indicate drycleaning shop. But now am not totally ok with it but through it i went for my second degree in unilag, and now i hold my 1st and 2nd degree. I have my washing machins and dryer. Now my mate that were waiting for job are coming to get idea about the business from me, because i set up my office in such way that it will attract customers. But to get there for the past 4 yrs it was hell and it involves a lot of perseverance and endurance, because i started from the scratch and gradually rising up, but today i say alhamdulilahi.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Hifortune(m): 6:17pm On Nov 18, 2012
Be your own boss, doing business and becoming
an entrepreneur needs one to make discovery of self and
take a concreate decision to face all the ups and downs
in the course of operation.

As an entrepreneure, success is asured only if you have
passion on your line of entreprenuring, you can render
a flawless and selfless service to humanity.

In a nut shell, give to people what they need, how they want it
and when they want it with your passion.
cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Abali1(m): 11:51pm On Nov 18, 2012
I didn't really elaborate in my intial post. But I will do so now. I have always known that I want to be a business owner (mind a business owner is different from a self-employed).
My taste for risk is a little bit high. I started by investing 200k in my friends company, with a 10% returns every month. That was just when I finished school. This arrangement worked until I was through with my Service year, before the company had a major problem.
After recovering from that incident I did a bit of research and invested heavily in the ill-fated Nigerian stock market. Around the same time I also invested in one of these wonder banks that just duped me of my money.
Right now am in the transport sector and paying close attention to the business.
As a business minded person, you don't need to give up when you meet with temporary defeat.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 11:13pm On Nov 20, 2012
SO many touching stories.

Thank so so very much for sharing.
We would love to read more stories.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by innocentchuks(m): 9:58pm On Nov 21, 2012
yes i am fired up, this is the gathering of the eagles. atlast the remaining doubt,fear and challanges of been an entreprenuer is finally cleared.@ bigx please i am interested in ur line of buz i.e. internet buz,pls i need any info that might be of help.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by kingodeya: 2:19am On Jun 16, 2013
I love this topic so so much.i have always dreamt of becoming gr8ta than carlos slim or dangote.buh then my concern is about how to make sure employees do not rob me of little moneys that cud all make me run into losses assuming d bussiness grows bigger.how do i prevent this.?experience guys on board.any advice.?

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Abali1(m): 5:14am On Jun 16, 2013
There is no fool-proof way of making sure employees don't rob you of a 'little money'. The only advice I may give is for you to know your business a little more than your employees and also to be ready to put in the extra working hours.
By knowing all aspect of your business, you are able to plug some holes that may be used to siphone money.
kingodeya: I love this topic so so much.i have always dreamt of becoming gr8ta than carlos slim or dangote.buh then my concern is about how to make sure employees do not rob me of little moneys that cud all make me run into losses assuming d bussiness grows bigger.how do i prevent this.?experience guys on board.any advice.?
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 7:21am On Jun 16, 2013
All I see in your words is FEAR!

And how many are employed in Nigeria with a corresponding large proportion of the population being sacked now and then?

This stories are not for the employed but the un-employed!

cheddarking:

My advice is not for established entrepreneurs like yourself sir.
My advice is for people who do not have the necessary skills, but are lured by stories like the one you have posted.

Not everybody can create and run the biggest bulk sms company in Nigeria like yourself.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 7:25am On Jun 16, 2013
kingodeya: I love this topic so so much.i have always dreamt of becoming gr8ta than carlos slim or dangote.buh then my concern is about how to make sure employees do not rob me of little moneys that cud all make me run into losses assuming d bussiness grows bigger.how do i prevent this.?experience guys on board.any advice.?
Start making the money first before bothering about that.
When you sweat for it you wont think twice of dealing with thieves in the worst way possible.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 7:39am On Jun 16, 2013
2s£xy:
All I see in your words is FEAR!

And how many are employed in Nigeria with a corresponding large proportion of the population being sacked now and then?

This stories are not for the employed but the un-employed!

Just looked through his comment,
There's something I saw somewhere, if you really want to, you would make a way, if you don't, you would make an excuse.
That's what I see here.

I had zero skills as much as six months before I started business.
I spent money and time acquiring them and when I got to an appreciable level, launched commercially.

I dont know as much as some not making money but I always learn everyday how to market and position myself to customers.

So there's one thing about not having skills, there is another thing about gathering too many and not using any.

Entrepreneurship is not for the Unemployed, it is a way of life and seriously, its not for everyone, it requires focus and Big Balls.
We'r all hyped about Oil Company, Good Job, etc in Nigeria but fail to realise not everyone is enjoying staying in those places.
Uncertainty and fear of the unknown makes them hang on there and accept every crap that comes to them.

I'm happy when I wake up in the morning, have an idea, implement it within the week, and see results in months, rather than having to wait for my ideas to pass through approval from endless levels and even at the end, not being acknowleged as the creator of the idea.

Given another chance, Id start Business earlier.

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 8:10am On Jun 16, 2013
Think BIG and start small...
addictiv: guys thanks a milla for your contributions. i have always had this multi million naira buisness idea but it hasn't been developed. think its time to wake the giant up.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 16, 2013
You have said it all...

I have my own story but I have hit with failure in the last couple of months...

Mine is online base and I am a domainer- google domaining.

And being a Nigerian has cost me lose of sales in the last 3 months. In April it was £3000 deal and 2 more has been lost in the months that follow. I think in total, chances lost would have made me over $5000 if not for what happened.

My plan was to use the money to start importation as where I am serving has been business unfriendly like I had envisaged.

But I know I will get there.

For the sake of this thread, I will share my story and how I started.

I have always been excited with making money online and I search the length and breath of the internet for business that I could do. In the process, I learnt a lot... A lot that could make me money if I wanted to.

However there was no time to implement them.

After I graduated last year around August I bought a modem with the help of a nairalander based in the US in September. His handle is Pacemaker. That guy is the foundation of everything I do to make money from domaining and he saw a spark of determination in me at a thread we all gathered like eagles titled :"guys let's talk business"

after he sent me the money, I bought a Glo modem. Around that time, my friend visited Benin City for a wedding and gave me 10k before he left. I used that money to register a domain name purposely to for the realestate sector of America. It was PropertyForSaleInMichigan dot com.

Then I went to work searching for buyers that would like the domain name. I found one and within 7 days, I had $500 paid to me. The money was paid to the Nairalander that bought me the modem and he sent it to me via Western Union. I did a few more like that.

But the problem is that this business isn't so consistent as much but quite rewarding and being a Nigerian has made me lost an opportunity of hitting it big in this business.

But I am not giving up even though I current don't have good internet access,except with phone, I still manage to register some more domains.

If I could hit at least $1500 with just one of my domain name now,(I have for GOOD domains that could make me a millionaire in naira, but being a Nigerian has killed me) I would shift to importation, considering the state of power supply here and the abundant sun, solar is the thing for me.

One striking characteristics of business men is that they always have plans even before the money comes.

I thought my NYSC would be great...
bigx:

Just looked through his comment,
There's something I saw somewhere, if you really want to, you would make a way, if you don't, you would make an excuse.
That's what I see here.

I had zero skills as much as six months before I started business.
I spent money and time acquiring them and when I got to an appreciable level, launched commercially.

I dont know as much as some not making money but I always learn everyday how to market and position myself to customers.

So there's one thing about not having skills, there is another thing about gathering too many and not using any.

Entrepreneurship is not for the Unemployed, it is a way of life and seriously, its not for everyone, it requires focus and Big Balls.
We'r all hyped about Oil Company, Good Job, etc in Nigeria but fail to realise not everyone is enjoying staying in those places.
Uncertainty and fear of the unknown makes them hang on there and accept every crap that comes to them.

I'm happy when I wake up in the morning, have an idea, implement it within the week, and see results in months, rather than having to wait for my ideas to pass through approval from endless levels and even at the end, not being acknowleged as the creator of the idea.

Given another chance, Id start Business earlier.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 8:59am On Jun 16, 2013
Hmmmmnn, funny enough I tried domaining years ago before entering a business that worked and never could get the hang of it, I got stuck I think at registering with sedo, lol.
When you say being a nigerian do you mean telling prospective buyers that you're from Nigeria?
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Abali1(m): 9:15am On Jun 16, 2013
bigx:

This is all there is to entrepreneurship. It's all about your mindset, how your emotions react to Money.
How do you view yourself, A Risk Taker (not a gambler) or someone who enjoys playing it safe?
Can you take that plunge, without knowing what awaits you?
Can you sacrifice the pleasures of today, to build a the cash cow of tomorrow?

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 16, 2013
Such is life... But in this business, you have to think like the buyer not the seller. You have to think brand, marketability etc... That could help the business of the buyer because they aren't buy for keep.

When I mean Nigeria, I mean the stigma will carry as a nation. You know what I mean. As is 419 ish.

I had 2 big forex companies for my domains but they withdrew when a friend and canadian who stood as my broker asked them to contact me through my whois.

Another happened last month when the same IBM I had contacted in the past never responded to me but they did reply my friend when he contacted them and went cold when he told them to contact me.

I currently have M a r i j u a n i z e dot com and Marijuana.com sold for $4.2 million last year...

The reason is that Marijuana has been legalised in the US and frankly, businesses are springing up to position themselves for the opportunity that abound at the horizon of the future while legalization is fast spreading across the states of Americe-currently 18 states have adopted the legal laws.

When I noticed my friend, the broker above, sold some vapor domain (vapor is e-ciga), i came up with a good one and never knew some bastards were viewing PMs. And they saw that the domain I had asked my friend to review for me before I register it was free. They grabbed it immediately, same day I sent my friend that PM.

The domain is vaporly.com just visit the domain and a site has been set up on it selling vapor related products.

However, I have been able to come up witha better one and will register it on monday.

Domaining is for part-time due to inconsistency. Most domainers have other things that bring them money apart from domaining. The beauty of domaining is the ROI. Imagine a domain you paid less than 1k naira for being sold for 300k or more.

Such would have been the case with my forex domain because I researched it while at NYSC Camp in March...

My domains are good but people are withdrawing why?

That was what my friend asked and so did I, but you guess is as good as mine. grin
bigx: Hmmmmnn, funny enough I tried domaining years ago before entering a business that worked and never could get the hang of it, I got stuck I think at registering with sedo, lol.
When you say being a nigerian do you mean telling prospective buyers that you're from Nigeria?
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by emailguru: 2:22am On Jun 17, 2013
Believe me, all it takes to keep going is to find a problem and then proffer a solution to it. I discovered lots of Nigerian needed quality eBooks and other digital products at very cheap prices. So I decided to build an online store where I sell digital products at very cheap and affordable rates to Nigerians. This is what I do for a living and I have been blessed for it. Thanks to the power of Information.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by NotNairalandi(m): 10:46am On Jun 17, 2013
Emhhh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Is Biggest Rice Buyer In 2019, Behind China - Bloomberg / Cement Price Soar In South East / Help A Friend To Invest 500 Thousand Naira.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.